Trust in Allah, but tie your camel. -- Arabian proverb

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: OT: Houthis hurt Hornby

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Houthis hurt HornbyRecliner
+* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyScott
|+* Re: OT: Houthis hurt Hornbyulf_kutzner
||`* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyRoland Perry
|| +* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyTweed
|| |+- Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyRoland Perry
|| |+* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyTheo
|| |`* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbySam Wilson
|| | +- Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyGraeme Wall
|| | `- Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyMarland
|| `* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyMarland
||  `* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyRoland Perry
||   `- Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyMarland
|`- Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyMarland
+* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyBevan Price
|`* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyRoland Perry
| +* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyMarland
| |`* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyRoland Perry
| | `* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyMarland
| |  `- Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyRoland Perry
| `* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyBevan Price
|  `* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyRoland Perry
|   `* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyBevan Price
|    `* Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyRoland Perry
|     `- Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyMarland
`- Re: OT: Houthis hurt HornbyTheo

Pages:12
Re: OT: Houthis hurt Hornby

<lTHTOu68$WKmFAHJ@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80726&group=uk.railway#80726

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: Houthis hurt Hornby
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 21:47:56 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 20:47 UTC

In message <l8sp6qFj69iU1@mid.individual.net>, at 16:10:02 on Wed, 24
Apr 2024, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <l8s1krFfo0cU1@mid.individual.net>, at 09:27:55 on Wed, 24
>> Apr 2024, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Flying Scotsman is one of the worst examples to think it has value , its
>>> been produced in its thousands in various versions and has always been a
>>> mainstay of the range, now if you had something rare like the AL1 AC
>>> Electric that originated with Hornby Dublo and was one of those continued
>>> by Tri-ang you might reach the figure you aspire to.
>>
>> Items sold on eBay, and at train fairs etc, are quite contrary to that
>> assertion.
>
>Sorry I just don’t believe you, there are about 750 Hornby Flying Scotsmen
>on EBay at the the moment.

Are you sure, I looked earlier today and many of the search results were
piece-parts.

[And what about the train fairs]

>While there is the odd pristine or special edition being offered for 3
>figures or over most especially the 30 year old ones have asking prices
>from around £20.00 to £80.

Yes, £80 is what I had in mind, plenty sell for that.

>The single Hornby Dublo AL1 I mentioned as a rare and potentially
>valuable example is being offered at £450.00.

>If you think your Flying Scotsman will fetch around £100 then best of luck
>, let us know if you achieve it.

I said "up to £100" and a well marketed, good condition boxed one, with
a video showing it running, should easily nudge above £80.

I've sold over 100 model railway items on eBay and usually get what I
expect. Used to be mainly N-gauge, but recently an IC225, FS and
Southern Belle Hornby Dublo. Admittedly the latter got the best price,
perhaps because it was mint (in box obviously).

Those three bought as a job-lot in a house clearance sale. (I was going
to start my own smallish layout, but changed my mind because we were
thinking about moving house). The N-gauge stuff was my own long term
collection which I had earlier been persuaded I'd never get around to
using again.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Houthis hurt Hornby

<b2jMHPJu5fKmFATA@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80739&group=uk.railway#80739

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 07:55:42 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 06:55 UTC

In message <v0b7u8$2ckbv$2@dont-email.me>, at 16:19:37 on Wed, 24 Apr
2024, Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> remarked:
>On 24/04/2024 08:54, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <v08tuj$1p09r$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:16:49 on Tue, 23 Apr
>>2024, Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> I don't think it can have helped that many model prices seem to have
>>>increased at way above the inflation rate in the last few years.

>> One of the reasons that good condition used models fetch good money
>>is the eye-watering price of brand new ones.

>> For example I've got a 30yr old almost mint Hornby 00 Flying
>>Scotsman which I think I could get up to £100 for (irrespective of
>>any vintage-ness it has), and a new one would be £200-£500, depending
>>on how limited-an-edition it was.
>
>And when new it was what ? About £30 to £50 ??

I don't know, but that would be £100-£200 in today's money. Not sure
what your point is.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Houthis hurt Hornby

<v0h5lu$3tirg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80935&group=uk.railway#80935

From: bevanprice666@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 22:17:50 +0100
 by: Bevan Price - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 21:17 UTC

On 25/04/2024 07:55, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <v0b7u8$2ckbv$2@dont-email.me>, at 16:19:37 on Wed, 24 Apr
> 2024, Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> remarked:
>> On 24/04/2024 08:54, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <v08tuj$1p09r$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:16:49 on Tue, 23 Apr
>>> 2024, Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> remarked:

>>>  One of the reasons that good condition used models fetch good money
>>> is  the eye-watering price of brand new ones.
>
>>>  For example I've got a 30yr old almost mint Hornby 00 Flying
>>> Scotsman  which I think I could get up to £100 for (irrespective of
>>> any  vintage-ness it has), and a new one would be £200-£500,
>>> depending on how  limited-an-edition it was.
>>
>> And when new it was what ? About £30 to £50 ??
>
> I don't know, but that would be £100-£200 in today's money. Not sure
> what your point is.

No point. I was just trying to remember how model prices have changed
over the past 30 or so years.

Re: OT: Houthis hurt Hornby

<Y0fsHQlA92NmFA6C@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81451&group=uk.railway#81451

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 12:36:32 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 5 May 2024 11:36 UTC

In message <v0h5lu$3tirg$1@dont-email.me>, at 22:17:50 on Fri, 26 Apr
2024, Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> remarked:
>On 25/04/2024 07:55, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <v0b7u8$2ckbv$2@dont-email.me>, at 16:19:37 on Wed, 24 Apr
>>2024, Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> And when new it was what ? About £30 to £50 ??

>> I don't know, but that would be £100-£200 in today's money. Not sure
>>what your point is.
>
>No point. I was just trying to remember how model prices have changed
>over the past 30 or so years.

I bought a job-lot of all-boxed 3-rail Dublo in person at the auction
yesterday.

CO-BO (which used to be the most valuable[1], as few were sold because
they look ugly; my first Hornby model was a 2-rail CO-BO), 'Bristol
Castle' and a 9F. All running plus some other bits and pieces including
a power controller and a 4620 breakdown crane - which on its own seems
to retail for around £40.

Probably going to keep them all (and have bought some 3-rail track to
run them on). But looks like if I sold them I'd more than double my
money. One other person bid against me from the starting online price of
the top estimate [auctioneer knows nothing!] to more than twice as much.

[1] This one maybe a bit optimistic despite the refurbishments:
<https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145759767156>
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Houthis hurt Hornby

<l9picjFt5tiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81458&group=uk.railway#81458

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 5 May 2024 14:11:31 GMT
 by: Marland - Sun, 5 May 2024 14:11 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <v0h5lu$3tirg$1@dont-email.me>, at 22:17:50 on Fri, 26 Apr
> 2024, Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> remarked:
>> On 25/04/2024 07:55, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <v0b7u8$2ckbv$2@dont-email.me>, at 16:19:37 on Wed, 24 Apr
>>> 2024, Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> I don't know, but that would be £100-£200 in today's money. Not sure
>>> what your point is.
>>
>> No point. I was just trying to remember how model prices have changed
>> over the past 30 or so years.
>
> I bought a job-lot of all-boxed 3-rail Dublo in person at the auction
> yesterday.
>
> CO-BO (which used to be the most valuable[1], as few were sold because
> they look ugly; my first Hornby model was a 2-rail CO-BO), 'Bristol
> Castle' and a 9F. All running plus some other bits and pieces including
> a power controller and a 4620 breakdown crane - which on its own seems
> to retail for around £40.
>
> Probably going to keep them all (and have bought some 3-rail track to
> run them on). But looks like if I sold them I'd more than double my
> money. One other person bid against me from the starting online price of
> the top estimate [auctioneer knows nothing!] to more than twice as much.

Have fun with it, there is something satisfying about the noise and rattle
of the old 3 rail stuff on tinplate track, and electrically with more
contact points far less liable to the sudden stop situation that a spot of
dirt that affects two rail. One of the reason Tri-ang and and the rebrand
to Hornby stayed with steel track for so long is that their magnetic
attraction system to an extent improved that
whereas the Hornby Dublo 2 rail system introduced far too late to save the
company used plated nickel silver in a smaller rail code and looked far
better and behaved quite well with the weight of die cast locos of the
original company.
If you really want something to make a profit on try and find some of the
London Underground Models made as Kits by the Harrow Model Shop and later
by their designer under Radley Models.
His death and cease of production about a year back plus a rise in
popularity of modelling the underground coincided and items are as rare
as hens teeth. Recent 4 car sets of surface stock assembled nicely are
fetching £700-£800.

GH

Re: OT: Houthis hurt Hornby

<8vD*uuPJz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81530&group=uk.railway#81530

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 07 May 2024 17:18:24 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 7 May 2024 16:18 UTC

Hmm, ebay's 'AI writes your description for you' feature doesn't go quite
according to plan:

"This OO Gauge Foam Inspection Pit is a must-have for model railway
enthusiasts. It provides a stable and secure base for inspecting and
maintaining your railway vehicles. The foam material is durable and
resistant to wear and tear, ensuring that it will last for many years to
come.

The product is suitable for use with OO gauge model trains, and is ideal for
collectors and enthusiasts who are looking for a reliable and functional
base to work from. This item is perfect for those who want to keep their
railway vehicles in top condition, without having to worry about the
condition of the pit itself."

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364762151600

I'm sure it's very handy for working underneath model trains...

Theo