Losing your drivers' license is just God's way of saying "BOOGA, BOOGA!"

aus+uk / uk.railway / What are you glad you saw?

SubjectAuthor
* What are you glad you saw?Marland
+* Re: What are you glad you saw?Graeme Wall
|`* Re: What are you glad you saw?Alan Lee
| `- Re: What are you glad you saw?Graeme Wall
+* Re: What are you glad you saw?Peter Johnson
|`- Re: What are you glad you saw?Graeme Wall
+- Re: What are you glad you saw?ColinR
+- Re: What are you glad you saw?Sam Wilson
+* Re: What are you glad you saw?Robert
|+- Re: What are you glad you saw?Davy41
|`- Re: What are you glad you saw?Peter Johnson
+* Re: What are you glad you saw?John Ray
|`- Re: What are you glad you saw?Graeme Wall
+* Re: What are you glad you saw?Adrian
|`* Re: What are you glad you saw?Graeme Wall
| `- Re: What are you glad you saw?Davy41
+- Re: What are you glad you saw?Charles Ellson
+- Re: What are you glad you saw?ColinR
+- Re: What are you glad you saw?James Heaton
+- Re: What are you glad you saw?Bevan Price
+- Re: What are you glad you saw?Marc Van Dyck
+* Re: What are you glad you saw?Chris J Dixon
|`* Re: What are you glad you saw?Marland
| `- Re: What are you glad you saw?Coffee
+* Re: What are you glad you saw?AnthonyL
|`* Re: What are you glad you saw?Marland
| `* Re: What are you glad you saw?Bevan Price
|  `* Re: What are you glad you saw?Coffee
|   `* Re: What are you glad you saw?Recliner
|    +* Re: What are you glad you saw?Marland
|    |+* Re: What are you glad you saw?Recliner
|    ||`- Re: What are you glad you saw?Clank
|    |`* Re: What are you glad you saw?Clank
|    | `- Re: What are you glad you saw?Marland
|    `- Re: What are you glad you saw?Clank
`- Re: What are you glad you saw?Roland Perry

Pages:12
What are you glad you saw?

<l7srucFmrj1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79765&group=uk.railway#79765

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: What are you glad you saw?
Date: 12 Apr 2024 13:40:28 GMT
 by: Marland - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 13:40 UTC

Just a muse really.
As the contributors to this group are mainly in he senior age bracket they
will have seen parts of Railway operation that have long past into history
..
It could be a long list especially if for example you just said steam
hauled trains in normal service so I am really asking about the really
unusual.

I have some myself but I’ll just kick off with the workers train for the
clay workers that ran on the section of the Torrington and Marland light
railway that had not been taken over and converted to std gauge and ran
from Dunsbear Halt to the clay works.

< https://www.flickr.com/photos/110691393@N07/33524647243>

Only saw it in operation once but explored*it again later after the system
had been lifted and the train was left isolated on a bit of track at the
works.

* No high fences or security cameras to stop teenage boys back then from
entering places like a clay mine, Sunday Morning was best as in area with a
strong Methodist following a lot of the eyes to be avoided were at Chapel.

So do have a memory of something that was rare ?

GH

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<uvbgu0$2dgrq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79769&group=uk.railway#79769

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: What are you glad you saw?
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 15:36:48 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:36 UTC

On 12/04/2024 14:40, Marland wrote:

> Just a muse really.
> As the contributors to this group are mainly in he senior age bracket they
> will have seen parts of Railway operation that have long past into history
> .
> It could be a long list especially if for example you just said steam
> hauled trains in normal service so I am really asking about the really
> unusual.
>
> I have some myself but I’ll just kick off with the workers train for the
> clay workers that ran on the section of the Torrington and Marland light
> railway that had not been taken over and converted to std gauge and ran
> from Dunsbear Halt to the clay works.
>

> < https://www.flickr.com/photos/110691393@N07/33524647243>
>
> Only saw it in operation once but explored*it again later after the system
> had been lifted and the train was left isolated on a bit of track at the
> works.
>
> * No high fences or security cameras to stop teenage boys back then from
> entering places like a clay mine, Sunday Morning was best as in area with a
> strong Methodist following a lot of the eyes to be avoided were at Chapel.
>
> So do have a memory of something that was rare ?

Not particularly rare but I walked the Portland Branch Railway just
after it closed. Also remember the pannier tanks operating the Weymouth
Quay line.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<uvbhk8$2dedu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79770&group=uk.railway#79770

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 15:48:39 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:48 UTC

> On 12/04/2024 14:40, Marland wrote:

> So do have a memory of something that was rare ?

Class 76's working, albeit not West of Sheffield.Saw loads of them at
Wath and Tinsley.
Deltics. Saw all of them, and was hauled by the majority of them.
Class 13's working the hump.

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<uvbjm9$2e49j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79775&group=uk.railway#79775

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 16:23:53 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 15:23 UTC

On 12/04/2024 15:48, Alan Lee wrote:
>> On 12/04/2024 14:40, Marland wrote:
>
>> So do have a memory of something that was rare ?
>
> Class 76's working, albeit not West of Sheffield.Saw loads of them at
> Wath and Tinsley.
> Deltics. Saw all of them, and was hauled by the majority of them.
> Class 13's working the hump.

I had a few trips behind 76s between Manchester and Sheffield.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<prki1jlm2p2vk4rtk61m7jhpqcfcerc6nn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79778&group=uk.railway#79778

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 16:37:15 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 15:37 UTC

On 12 Apr 2024 13:40:28 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
wrote:

>So do have a memory of something that was rare ?

Saw a train crossing the Fosse Road North bridge on the Leicester &
Swannington line with the modified Standard loco several times.
Also saw GW Halls on the GC in Leicester with a fish train from
Grimsby.
Gas turbine loco GT3 crossing the GC's West Bridge bridge from the top
deck of a Corporation bus on my way home from school.
LT silver stock being delivered on the GC at Abbey Lane. Don't know
why I saw that. Recall that it was in the evening.
Wasn't much interested in railways in those days.

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<uvbld5$2ed36$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79784&group=uk.railway#79784

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 16:53:09 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 15:53 UTC

On 12/04/2024 16:37, Peter Johnson wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2024 13:40:28 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> So do have a memory of something that was rare ?
>>
> Saw a train crossing the Fosse Road North bridge on the Leicester &
> Swannington line with the modified Standard loco several times.
> Also saw GW Halls on the GC in Leicester with a fish train from
> Grimsby.
> Gas turbine loco GT3 crossing the GC's West Bridge bridge from the top
> deck of a Corporation bus on my way home from school.
> LT silver stock being delivered on the GC at Abbey Lane. Don't know
> why I saw that. Recall that it was in the evening.
> Wasn't much interested in railways in those days.

Saw the gas turbine APT on the up line at Tilehurst as it decelerated
from it's high speed run on the GWML. I was on my way to Didcot from
Reading on a Mk1 DMU, so got a good view through the front windows.

That may have been the run where it was arranged to cross with an HST
set in the middle of Didcot station. The rumour at the time was that the
HST reached 140 mph but I suspect that was wishful thinking.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<uvblkf$2dtrb$11@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79786&group=uk.railway#79786

From: rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 16:57:10 +0100
 by: ColinR - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 15:57 UTC

On 12/04/2024 14:40, Marland wrote:

> Just a muse really.
> As the contributors to this group are mainly in he senior age bracket they
> will have seen parts of Railway operation that have long past into history
> .
> It could be a long list especially if for example you just said steam
> hauled trains in normal service so I am really asking about the really
> unusual.
>
> I have some myself but I’ll just kick off with the workers train for the
> clay workers that ran on the section of the Torrington and Marland light
> railway that had not been taken over and converted to std gauge and ran
> from Dunsbear Halt to the clay works.
>

> < https://www.flickr.com/photos/110691393@N07/33524647243>
>
> Only saw it in operation once but explored*it again later after the system
> had been lifted and the train was left isolated on a bit of track at the
> works.
>
> * No high fences or security cameras to stop teenage boys back then from
> entering places like a clay mine, Sunday Morning was best as in area with a
> strong Methodist following a lot of the eyes to be avoided were at Chapel.
>
> So do have a memory of something that was rare ?
>
> GH

Not rare but common - putting a penny on the rail and watching a nice
heavy Merchany Navy flatten it out. The fun was searching for it afterwards!

--
Colin

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<uvbnaq$2euk8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79792&group=uk.railway#79792

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 16:26:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nFRrERRjBtgayN9QRv2Wd81E810=
 by: Sam Wilson - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 16:26 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

> Just a muse really.
> As the contributors to this group are mainly in he senior age bracket they
> will have seen parts of Railway operation that have long past into history
> .
> It could be a long list especially if for example you just said steam
> hauled trains in normal service so I am really asking about the really
> unusual.
>
> I have some myself but I’ll just kick off with the workers train for the
> clay workers that ran on the section of the Torrington and Marland light
> railway that had not been taken over and converted to std gauge and ran
> from Dunsbear Halt to the clay works.
>

> < https://www.flickr.com/photos/110691393@N07/33524647243>
>
> Only saw it in operation once but explored*it again later after the system
> had been lifted and the train was left isolated on a bit of track at the
> works.
>
> * No high fences or security cameras to stop teenage boys back then from
> entering places like a clay mine, Sunday Morning was best as in area with a
> strong Methodist following a lot of the eyes to be avoided were at Chapel.
>
> So do have a memory of something that was rare ?

The view down a snowy Dentdale at sunset from a Preston-Edinburgh train
that was rerouted due to a closure further north. We’d come from the Isle
of Man via Liverpool. Having done the Manchester-Edinburgh route many,
many times it was quite a change to be heading south out of Preston in
order to go north again.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<l7t6s1Fo96gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79797&group=uk.railway#79797

From: monstoor@spammedia.com (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 17:46:57 +0100
 by: Robert - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 16:46 UTC

On 12/04/2024 14:40, Marland wrote:

> Just a muse really.
> As the contributors to this group are mainly in he senior age bracket they
> will have seen parts of Railway operation that have long past into history

I'm 50, does that count? ;-)

> So do have a memory of something that was rare ?

In the mid-80s, I watched a Class 09 passing through West Byfleet
station on the Up Slow during the middle of the day, light engine! I'm
guessing it was heading to Feltham or somewhere like that. Very unusual.

Also, during the early 80s my Grandad and I travelled on a single 4REP
between West Byfleet and Weybridge on a Sunday. It must have been on a
Bournemouth - Waterloo stopper, and I'm guessing it kept time!

The other 'rare' thing that I witnessed first hand was in approx. 1997
when I was travelling to work in the early morning from Woking to
Hersham. The train was a stopper and left West Byfleet as usual. It then
began to slow for B&NH before speeding up and failing to stop at
Weybridge and Walton on Thames, finally coming to a screeching halt at
Hersham. The guard told us he couldn't get a hold of the driver all this
time. At Waterloo, the driver was met and taken off where I believe he
was found to be intoxicated. I'm hoping I don't ever have to experience
that again!

I've done a few lines which have since closed in both the UK and abroad,
but I'm guessing that's not quite answering the question.

Cheers,
--
Rob
"I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<YaKdnSESRsYz7oT7nZ2dnZfqlJydnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79803&group=uk.railway#79803

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 18:47:26 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: john@jray.org.uk (John Ray)
 by: John Ray - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 17:47 UTC

On 12/04/2024 14:40, Marland wrote:

> Just a muse really.
> As the contributors to this group are mainly in he senior age bracket they
> will have seen parts of Railway operation that have long past into history
> .
> It could be a long list especially if for example you just said steam
> hauled trains in normal service so I am really asking about the really
> unusual.
>
> I have some myself but I’ll just kick off with the workers train for the
> clay workers that ran on the section of the Torrington and Marland light
> railway that had not been taken over and converted to std gauge and ran
> from Dunsbear Halt to the clay works.
>

> < https://www.flickr.com/photos/110691393@N07/33524647243>
>
> Only saw it in operation once but explored*it again later after the system
> had been lifted and the train was left isolated on a bit of track at the
> works.
>
> * No high fences or security cameras to stop teenage boys back then from
> entering places like a clay mine, Sunday Morning was best as in area with a
> strong Methodist following a lot of the eyes to be avoided were at Chapel.
>
> So do have a memory of something that was rare ?
>
> GH

I saw 60034 Lord Faringdon at Hest Bank, on the WCML, during the 1948
locomotive exchange trials. I was 8 years old at the time.

--
John Ray

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<uvbuor$2ghgs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79806&group=uk.railway#79806

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 19:32:59 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 18:32 UTC

On 12/04/2024 18:47, John Ray wrote:
> I saw 60034 Lord Faringdon at Hest Bank, on the WCML, during the 1948
> locomotive exchange trials. I was 8 years old at the time.

That's impressive.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<6Z5suQPSUYGmFwVS@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79807&group=uk.railway#79807

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 20:01:38 +0100
 by: Adrian - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 19:01 UTC

In message <l7srucFmrj1U1@mid.individual.net>, Marland
<gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> writes

>Just a muse really.
>As the contributors to this group are mainly in he senior age bracket they
>will have seen parts of Railway operation that have long past into history
>.
>So do have a memory of something that was rare ?

Not sure if this counts as "saw", but I have been over the Woodhead
route by passenger train. Given how long it is since passenger services
were withdrawn (never mind the entire route closed), I suspect that the
numbers with that claim are dwindling.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<uvc4a0$2hpct$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79810&group=uk.railway#79810

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:07:28 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 20:07 UTC

On 12/04/2024 20:01, Adrian wrote:
> In message <l7srucFmrj1U1@mid.individual.net>, Marland
> <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> writes
>>
>> Just a muse really.
>> As the contributors to this group are mainly in he senior age bracket
>> they
>> will have seen parts of Railway operation that have long past into
>> history
>> .
>> So do have a memory of something that was rare ?
>>

> Not sure if this counts as "saw", but I have been over the Woodhead
> route by passenger train.  Given how long it is since passenger services
> were withdrawn (never mind the entire route closed), I suspect that the
> numbers with that claim are dwindling.

<waves>

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<0e6j1jteeujvc6n8jk4l5r2980das0ci9k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79811&group=uk.railway#79811

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:30:38 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 20:30 UTC

wrote:

>Just a muse really.
>As the contributors to this group are mainly in he senior age bracket they
>will have seen parts of Railway operation that have long past into history

The Glasgow Underground.
<snip>

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<uvc6ep$2hg7e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79812&group=uk.railway#79812

From: dave@dave-jackson.org.uk (Davy41)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:44:08 +0100
 by: Davy41 - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 20:44 UTC

On 12/04/2024 17:46, Robert wrote:
> So do have a memory of something that was rare ?

Returning from a family shopping trip to Liverpool. The train we
sometimes used was routed on to the slow line at Wavertree Junction so
that the up "Red Rose" express for Euston could pass us before the slow
lines ended at Ditton Junction. On one occasion the loco on the Red Rose
was 46202 "Princess Anne", which Dad tried to explain had once been
something powered by a turbine - makes sense now, but didn't then. Using
the same train a few years later the Red Rose passed us hauled by the
prototype "Deltic".
The gas-turbine loco GT3 stopped in Frodsham station one Sunday morning
for the blokes in white overalls to take its pulse. If only my camera
had had a film in it...

--
Dave
Frodsham

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<uvc8ds$2ihsf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79814&group=uk.railway#79814

From: rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 22:17:55 +0100
 by: ColinR - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:17 UTC

On 12/04/2024 14:40, Marland wrote:

> So do have a memory of something that was rare ?

I can recall, but with somewhat of a fog of memory, of holidaying at
Edale in a camping coach when I was about 5. My brother, since passed
away, took photos of ex-LMS Garratts passing through Edale - but his
negatives are no longer around so cannot confirm it.

--
Colin

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<uvc8i7$2hg7e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79815&group=uk.railway#79815

From: dave@dave-jackson.org.uk (Davy41)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 22:20:07 +0100
 by: Davy41 - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:20 UTC

On 12/04/2024 21:07, Graeme Wall wrote:
>> Not sure if this counts as "saw", but I have been over the Woodhead
>> route by passenger train.  Given how long it is since passenger
>> services were withdrawn (never mind the entire route closed), I
>> suspect that the numbers with that claim are dwindling.
>>

> <waves>

AoL Probably in about 1949/1950 We were going to stay with relatives
onear Sheffield. I wasn't very well at that time and my only memory of
the whole weekend is of being rather sick. We made the same trip
several times in later years, but by then the haulage was EM2s 27006
"Pandora" was the last one I noted.

--
Dave
Frodsham

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<uvc999$2i10t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79817&group=uk.railway#79817

From: heatonandmoore@gmail.com (James Heaton)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 22:32:24 +0100
 by: James Heaton - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:32 UTC

On 12/04/2024 14:40, Marland wrote:

> Just a muse really.
> As the contributors to this group are mainly in he senior age bracket they
> will have seen parts of Railway operation that have long past into history
> .
> It could be a long list especially if for example you just said steam
> hauled trains in normal service so I am really asking about the really
> unusual.
>
> I have some myself but I’ll just kick off with the workers train for the
> clay workers that ran on the section of the Torrington and Marland light
> railway that had not been taken over and converted to std gauge and ran
> from Dunsbear Halt to the clay works.
>

> < https://www.flickr.com/photos/110691393@N07/33524647243>
>
> Only saw it in operation once but explored*it again later after the system
> had been lifted and the train was left isolated on a bit of track at the
> works.
>
> * No high fences or security cameras to stop teenage boys back then from
> entering places like a clay mine, Sunday Morning was best as in area with a
> strong Methodist following a lot of the eyes to be avoided were at Chapel.
>
> So do have a memory of something that was rare ?

Not so much rare, I suppose, but GWR150

Depot open days at Cardiff and Landore

Seeing a loco get named on pl8 at Cardiff which wasn't open to the public

Seeing Evening Star run.

There seemed to be something on almost every weekend, sometimes we had
to go to Swindon or Didcot but many events were at Bristol or Cardiff, a
short hop from our valleys home.

And so many good memories of weekends with my parents, both died in the
pandemic. Always seemed to be the sun shining, we never ran out of
lemonade or cake, and nary a cross word between the 3 of us. (yeah
right, but in the memory!)

James

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<uvcb9q$2j9ek$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79820&group=uk.railway#79820

From: bevanprice666@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 23:06:49 +0100
 by: Bevan Price - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 22:06 UTC

On 12/04/2024 14:40, Marland wrote:

> Just a muse really.
> As the contributors to this group are mainly in he senior age bracket they
> will have seen parts of Railway operation that have long past into history
> .
> It could be a long list especially if for example you just said steam
> hauled trains in normal service so I am really asking about the really
> unusual.
>
> I have some myself but I’ll just kick off with the workers train for the
> clay workers that ran on the section of the Torrington and Marland light
> railway that had not been taken over and converted to std gauge and ran
> from Dunsbear Halt to the clay works.
>

> < https://www.flickr.com/photos/110691393@N07/33524647243>
>
> Only saw it in operation once but explored*it again later after the system
> had been lifted and the train was left isolated on a bit of track at the
> works.
>
> * No high fences or security cameras to stop teenage boys back then from
> entering places like a clay mine, Sunday Morning was best as in area with a
> strong Methodist following a lot of the eyes to be avoided were at Chapel.
>
> So do have a memory of something that was rare ?
>
> GH

Too many to list them all, but:
(1.) The first house where I lived had a partial view of the long-closed
St. Helens to Rainford branch; passenger services mostly worked by Webb
LNWR 2-4-2 tanks, displaced by Ivatt 2-6-2 tanks for the last year or so
before services were withdrawn. Occasional freights mostly worked by
0-6-0s, including last LNWR survivors. Probably what started my interest
in railways.

(2.). Family holiday near Blackpool. I was taken to watch Blackpool FC
at a time when they had two famous talented Stanleys - Matthews and
Mortensen. Don't remember much about the match, because the ground had a
good view of part of Blackpool Central shed yard - and resting there was
50455 - the last of the L&YR "Dreadnought" 4-6-0s.

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<mn.6a327e84d9239bcc.104627@invalid.skynet.be>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79828&group=uk.railway#79828

From: marc.gr.vandyck@invalid.skynet.be (Marc Van Dyck)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 09:22:39 +0200
 by: Marc Van Dyck - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 07:22 UTC

Marland formulated the question :
> Just a muse really.
> As the contributors to this group are mainly in he senior age bracket they
> will have seen parts of Railway operation that have long past into history
> .
> It could be a long list especially if for example you just said steam
> hauled trains in normal service so I am really asking about the really
> unusual.
>
> I have some myself but I’ll just kick off with the workers train for the
> clay workers that ran on the section of the Torrington and Marland light
> railway that had not been taken over and converted to std gauge and ran
> from Dunsbear Halt to the clay works.
>

> < https://www.flickr.com/photos/110691393@N07/33524647243>
>
> Only saw it in operation once but explored*it again later after the system
> had been lifted and the train was left isolated on a bit of track at the
> works.
>
> * No high fences or security cameras to stop teenage boys back then from
> entering places like a clay mine, Sunday Morning was best as in area with a
> strong Methodist following a lot of the eyes to be avoided were at Chapel.
>
> So do have a memory of something that was rare ?
>
> GH

Let's wander out of UK a bit, if you allow me...

In addition to its mainline network, Belgium used to be covered by an
extensive network of "proximity" railways, mostly metre gauge. At its
peak, this network counted about 5000 km of lines, as much as the
mainline network. Today it's all gone, the only remnants are the
Charleroi metro and the coastal tram line. But the region I live in was
the last one to lose its tram network, so in my young days I have been
still able to enjoy and witness that, for some 20 years. The last 5
were
sad, like when you see an old friend slowly die. Before that I imagined
that it would last forever. Unfortunately I did not own a camera back
then...

--
Marc Van Dyck

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<j4ik1jdl4uhqs46gdfglih289fdkto3sss@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79829&group=uk.railway#79829

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:02:04 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 09:02 UTC

Marland wrote:

I recall a spell in 1968, during my training at what was
then AEI, when the office overlooked the Trafford Park hump
shunting yard. I was easily distracted ;-)

One snowy night, I travelled through Woodhead to Penistone from
Manchester. IIRC it was after the end of regular passenger
services, but this train ran because the roads were closed.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<l7v7idF37ddU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79840&group=uk.railway#79840

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 13 Apr 2024 11:11:09 GMT
 by: Marland - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 11:11 UTC

Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
> Marland wrote:
>
> I recall a spell in 1968, during my training at what was
> then AEI, when the office overlooked the Trafford Park hump
> shunting yard. I was easily distracted ;-)
>
> One snowy night, I travelled through Woodhead to Penistone from
> Manchester. IIRC it was after the end of regular passenger
> services, but this train ran because the roads were closed.
>
> Chris

Snow was also responsible for the last trains over the closed section of
the Southern Line between the remaining stubs at Bere Alston and
Okehampton. The direction the Snow arrived from meant it hit South Devon
harder than the Northern slopes of Dartmoor and blocked the Western line.
Staff at Plymouth decided to send a late night parcels train over the
Southern route which had been closed for months , unfortunately the Loco
failed in what was now in as the US call it “Dark Territory”.
The crew made their way to a remote house to ask to use the phone but the
story goes that the owner was a bit reluctant at first to believe them
stating “The Railways been closed for months “ suspicious that the two
strangers in the night were escapees from HMP Dartmoor. Eventually
Plymouth was contacted and a rescue loco was sent and the train pushed to
the living Railway at Okehampton and onwards. The London end of BR far
from being pleased with this local initiative to keep a service running
responded by getting the track promptly lifted to stop it happening again
having been irritated by a piece written by David St John Thomas (of David
and Charles publishing)
in the regional paper about BR opening a line when it suited them . A bit
of an own goal perhaps.

As for an emergency road replacement service when part of Bideford Bridge
collapsed in 1968 BR staff at Barnstaple responded by answering the call
to provide a service to Torrington along the existing but now freight only
route. This wasn’t easy as the Exeter -Barnstaple line was blocked by
floods so no stock was easily obtained . Again using some initiative they
cobbled one together by borrowing the centre car of a DMU and hauling it
with a loco and attaching a brake van.

Can’t help thinking that today it would fall into the too difficult
bracket.

This is the actual area managers report.

<http://www.railchronology.free-online.co.uk/Bideford-bridge-1968.pdf>

GH

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<uvdr6u$2vor3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79844&group=uk.railway#79844

From: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 12:44:30 +0100
 by: Coffee - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 11:44 UTC

On 13/04/2024 12:11, Marland wrote:
> Chris J Dixon<chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
>> Marland wrote:
>>
>> I recall a spell in 1968, during my training at what was
>> then AEI, when the office overlooked the Trafford Park hump
>> shunting yard. I was easily distracted ;-)
>>
>> One snowy night, I travelled through Woodhead to Penistone from
>> Manchester. IIRC it was after the end of regular passenger
>> services, but this train ran because the roads were closed.
>>
>> Chris
> Snow was also responsible for the last trains over the closed section of
> the Southern Line between the remaining stubs at Bere Alston and
> Okehampton. The direction the Snow arrived from meant it hit South Devon
> harder than the Northern slopes of Dartmoor and blocked the Western line.
> Staff at Plymouth decided to send a late night parcels train over the
> Southern route which had been closed for months , unfortunately the Loco
> failed in what was now in as the US call it “Dark Territory”.

Apparently the only work that had to be undertaken for this
reinstatement was to re-install some batteries for the telegraph.

I understand the Plymouth Area Manager was unpopular with most of his
managers for some time. Note the use of the word "most".

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<661a82a6.258562734@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79853&group=uk.railway#79853

From: nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 13:14:46 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 13:14 UTC

wrote:

>Just a muse really.
>As the contributors to this group are mainly in he senior age bracket they
>will have seen parts of Railway operation that have long past into history
>.

As young teenagers my friend and I often cycled from the LMS/LNER
region to Newark and sit trackside. (Yes, flattened pennies etc).

On one occasion we were looking up the track and saw this weird thing
coming down (Southbound), blue, and couldn't work out what it was
until my older friend shouted "Deltic". It would have been DP1 in the
early 60s I guess.

A4 "Qucksilver" on shunting duties in Grantham a few years later was a
sad and sorry sight.

Seeing 9F Evening Star traversing the brick viaduct over the River
Trent with the tell-tale sign of the gap below the boiler was a
poignant sight at a time when steam was going out of fashion and
trainspotting had lost its magic.

Spending about an hour on the footplate of a shunter at the age of 10
was magical though a bit too young to recall more details.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: What are you glad you saw?

<6e2l1j9l2cs4ut4124sngepikif4ilt98i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79859&group=uk.railway#79859

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 14:38:56 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 13:38 UTC

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 17:46:57 +0100, Robert <monstoor@spammedia.com>
wrote:

>Also, during the early 80s my Grandad and I travelled on a single 4REP
>between West Byfleet and Weybridge on a Sunday. It must have been on a
>Bournemouth - Waterloo stopper, and I'm guessing it kept time!

That reminds me of the time one summer afternoon c1963 that I
travelled from Grenwich to Woolwich Arsenal in a lower compartment of
a double deck train. Living in Leicester, I didn't know that such
trains existed and I only realised what it was after it had started,
otherwise I'd have gone upstairs. Many years later I learned about
Bullied.