If graphics hackers are so smart, why can't they get the bugs out of fresh paint?

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

SubjectAuthor
* Levelling Up on BahGumRailermintrudethecat
+* Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRailRoland Perry

Pages:12
Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<urqtfl$qkg4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76572&group=uk.railway#76572

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:37:57 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:1v/WUZoO3unNneRtjEx90dK+DFw=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:37 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <cc6EN.165930$Fr1.17530@fx11.ams1>, at 20:56:40 on Thu, 29
> Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <JjXDN.12317$Mbc3.11826@fx08.ams1>, at 08:33:45 on Thu, 29
>>> Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Which field is that? Openreach does all the installations.
>>
>> Only 248 employees work in the Sheffield head office, in a serviced offices
>> building.
>
> And which field do the rest work in - and do they get muddy boots?
>
> Don't be shy...
>
>> https://www.zoominfo.com/pic/plusnet-plc/53512227

Seems they have (had?) an office in Leeds

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/plusnet-employee-reveals-coronavirus-fears-17981867

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<1LgFXQ+SKS4lFA5C@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76576&group=uk.railway#76576

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 00:34:26 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 00:34 UTC

In message <urqsv2$qh4v$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:29:06 on Thu, 29 Feb
2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <urqlvu$p2g8$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:30:06 on Thu, 29 Feb
>> 2024, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Perhaps he’s forgotten how to write “spoiler warning”
>>>(assuming he thinks
>>> that the information he posted was some kind of spoiler).
>>
>> Recliner couldn't be bothered to spend ten seconds quoting a relevant
>> abstract, so I did. Plus two seconds ROT13ing it to try to make a point.
>
>A point way over my head I’m afraid.

Apparently so, but now you know.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<CzWI5hKJxX4lFANJ@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76580&group=uk.railway#76580

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 06:57:13 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 06:57 UTC

In message <urqtfl$qkg4$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:37:57 on Thu, 29 Feb
2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <cc6EN.165930$Fr1.17530@fx11.ams1>, at 20:56:40 on Thu, 29
>> Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Only 248 employees work in the Sheffield head office, in a serviced offices
>>> building.
>>
>> And which field do the rest work in - and do they get muddy boots?
>>
>> Don't be shy...
>>
>>> https://www.zoominfo.com/pic/plusnet-plc/53512227
>
>Seems they have (had?) an office in Leeds

In a tent in a field?

>https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/plusnet-employee-reveals-co
>ronavirus-fears-17981867

.... No, just a branch office. Or maybe they took over Freeserve nee
Planet Online's NOC which was in Leeds.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<ursa69$16aoo$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76602&group=uk.railway#76602

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:20:57 -0000 (UTC)
<CzWI5hKJxX4lFANJ@perry.uk>
sha1:aAZT7+5b4UewS/N3kve/ICB4fWU=
 by: Sam Wilson - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:20 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <urqtfl$qkg4$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:37:57 on Thu, 29 Feb
> 2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <cc6EN.165930$Fr1.17530@fx11.ams1>, at 20:56:40 on Thu, 29
>>> Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> And which field do the rest work in - and do they get muddy boots?
>>>
>>> Don't be shy...

>> Seems they have (had?) an office in Leeds
>
> In a tent in a field?
>
>> https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/plusnet-employee-reveals-co
>> ronavirus-fears-17981867
>
> ... No, just a branch office. Or maybe they took over Freeserve nee
> Planet Online's NOC which was in Leeds.

Is that the one in the old church with the glass floor, or perhaps glass
ceiling depending on where you’re standing?

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<6OWW2xOKNb4lFAJH@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76607&group=uk.railway#76607

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:51:54 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:51 UTC

In message <ursa69$16aoo$2@dont-email.me>, at 10:20:57 on Fri, 1 Mar
2024, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <urqtfl$qkg4$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:37:57 on Thu, 29 Feb
>> 2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Seems they have (had?) an office in Leeds
>>
>> In a tent in a field?
>>
>>> https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/plusnet-employee-reveals-co
>>> ronavirus-fears-17981867
>>
>> ... No, just a branch office. Or maybe they took over Freeserve nee
>> Planet Online's NOC which was in Leeds.
>
>Is that the one in the old church with the glass floor, or perhaps glass
>ceiling depending on where you’re standing?

No idea, I never visited it. The people there came to see me.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<urscoi$16r5f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76610&group=uk.railway#76610

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:04:50 -0000 (UTC)
<CzWI5hKJxX4lFANJ@perry.uk>
<ursa69$16aoo$2@dont-email.me>
<6OWW2xOKNb4lFAJH@perry.uk>
sha1:5Gg2fkkpzDLeO+m1FLG1GS6qufc=
 by: Sam Wilson - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:04 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <ursa69$16aoo$2@dont-email.me>, at 10:20:57 on Fri, 1 Mar
> 2024, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <urqtfl$qkg4$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:37:57 on Thu, 29 Feb
>>> 2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> In a tent in a field?

>>> ... No, just a branch office. Or maybe they took over Freeserve nee
>>> Planet Online's NOC which was in Leeds.
>>
>> Is that the one in the old church with the glass floor, or perhaps glass
>> ceiling depending on where you’re standing?
>
> No idea, I never visited it. The people there came to see me.

I never did either, but if it’s the one I’m thinking of they floored (or
maybe just ceilinged) the church over at balcony level and put the
datacentre downstairs so you could look down on it.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<v0h3ui1p2g8lu5ijuvbhii1u082a8o0gqp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76616&group=uk.railway#76616

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <6e0562cf570c25516e5ceaed05bc5db2@www.novabbs.com> <474Gb+xN8R3lFAzx@perry.uk> <9e801ed92975179091953172e8dc2d54@www.novabbs.com> <Ir7Kv2dCO63lFAEV@perry.uk> <urpeff$e01v$1@dont-email.me> <JjXDN.12317$Mbc3.11826@fx08.ams1> <lJuh3Pkr9G4lFAbt@perry.uk> <cc6EN.165930$Fr1.17530@fx11.ams1> <bXEOQ14CNP4lFAMG@perry.uk> <urqtfl$qkg4$1@dont-email.me> <CzWI5hKJxX4lFANJ@perry.uk> <ursa69$16aoo$2@dont-email.me> <6OWW2xOKNb4lFAJH@perry.uk> <urscoi$16r5f$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 12:07:26 +0000
 by: Recliner - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 12:07 UTC

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:04:50 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <ursa69$16aoo$2@dont-email.me>, at 10:20:57 on Fri, 1 Mar
>> 2024, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Is that the one in the old church with the glass floor, or perhaps glass
>>> ceiling depending on where you’re standing?
>>
>> No idea, I never visited it. The people there came to see me.
>
>I never did either, but if it’s the one I’m thinking of they floored (or
>maybe just ceilinged) the church over at balcony level and put the
>datacentre downstairs so you could look down on it.

It's a large call centre that occupies a whole building (32,000 sq ft) that doesn't look remotely like a church:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qnwuoDFkCokxzN1p7

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<6368f3fd34a305fcab1cb753da74d332@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76662&group=uk.railway#76662

From: andrewclarke437@gmail.com (ermintrudethecat)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:23:01 +0000
 by: ermintrudethecat - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:23 UTC

Roland Perry wrote:

> You have *got* to be kidding.

> Two Sheffield businesses have been named in the top ten fastest
> growing in the region; Plusnet, which has increased revenues by
> almost 25 per cent to £140m, and retailer Go Outdoors, which has
> grown 19 per cent to £170m.

> Construction giant SIG UK continues to be Sheffield's biggest
> company, generating revenues of £2.6bn and employing more than
> 10,000 people.
> The NHS hospital trust employs 16,000, and then there's the rest
> of the University.

> Overall there are 240k jobs in Sheffield.

Wow. There's a second-tier ISP, a building materials company and a camping / hiking / fishing store. At this rate they are going to have to rebuild Sheffield Victoria to cope with the flood of new commuters. Oh, and there's some hospitals and a university. Huddersfield has those too. In fact the University of Huddersfield is said to be its one growth industry.

> You can look up Huddersfield for yourself.

That is a town where the re-opening of a Macdonalds gets an article in the local press.

If these places are booming, why do they need levelling up money? BTW we haven't heard much about Boris's plan for an LGV from Manchester to Bradford. Is there hope?

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<lWpRAykzyZ5lFACZ@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76725&group=uk.railway#76725

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:04:35 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:04 UTC

In message <6368f3fd34a305fcab1cb753da74d332@www.novabbs.com>, at
15:23:01 on Sat, 2 Mar 2024, ermintrudethecat
<andrewclarke437@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry wrote:
>

>> You have *got* to be kidding.
>
>> Two Sheffield businesses have been named in the top ten fastest
>> growing in the region; Plusnet, which has increased revenues by
>> almost 25 per cent to £140m, and retailer Go Outdoors, which has
>> grown 19 per cent to £170m.
>
>> Construction giant SIG UK continues to be Sheffield's biggest
>> company, generating revenues of £2.6bn and employing more than
>> 10,000 people.
>> The NHS hospital trust employs 16,000, and then there's the rest
>> of the University.
>
>> Overall there are 240k jobs in Sheffield.
>
>Wow. There's a second-tier ISP,

You are showing your age, that term went out of use about 20yrs ago.

>a building materials company and a camping / hiking / fishing store. At
>this rate they are going to have to rebuild Sheffield Victoria to cope
>with the flood of new commuters. Oh, and there's some hospitals and a
>university.

Are you attempting to argue that 240k == Zero? I have news for you,
that's a big ask.

>Huddersfield has those too. In fact the University of Huddersfield is
>said to be its one growth industry.
>
>> You can look up Huddersfield for yourself.
>
>That is a town where the re-opening of a Macdonalds gets an article in
>the local press.
>
>If these places are booming, why do they need levelling up money? BTW
>we haven't heard much about Boris's plan for an LGV from Manchester to
>Bradford. Is there hope?

Is that the HS3 which some claim never existed?
--
Roland Perry

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<otnbuitpnadf92llt62ktdhgm6phsbom06@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76757&group=uk.railway#76757

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 15:13:09 +0000
 by: Recliner - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 15:13 UTC

On Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:23:01 +0000, andrewclarke437@gmail.com (ermintrudethecat) wrote:

>Roland Perry wrote:
>

>> You have *got* to be kidding.
>
>> Two Sheffield businesses have been named in the top ten fastest
>> growing in the region; Plusnet, which has increased revenues by
>> almost 25 per cent to £140m, and retailer Go Outdoors, which has
>> grown 19 per cent to £170m.
>
>> Construction giant SIG UK continues to be Sheffield's biggest
>> company, generating revenues of £2.6bn and employing more than
>> 10,000 people.
>> The NHS hospital trust employs 16,000, and then there's the rest
>> of the University.
>
>> Overall there are 240k jobs in Sheffield.
>
>Wow. There's a second-tier ISP, a building materials company and a camping / hiking / fishing store. At this rate they are going to have to rebuild Sheffield Victoria to cope with the flood of new commuters. Oh, and there's some hospitals and a university. Huddersfield has those too. In fact the University of Huddersfield is said
to be its one growth industry.

>> You can look up Huddersfield for yourself.
>
>That is a town where the re-opening of a Macdonalds gets an article in the local press.
>
>If these places are booming, why do they need levelling up money? BTW we haven't heard much about Boris's plan for an LGV from Manchester to Bradford. Is there hope?

Don't confuse Boris's boasts with anything in the real world. As an ex-columnist, he thought that writing a short,
un-researched article was the final delivery of the plan.

For example, remember this boast?
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/02/boris-johnson-uk-will-build-one-new-nuclear-plant-a-year.html

Far from building one every year, not a single reactor has been ordered in the last decade, and none while he was an MP.

The NPR route was never going to be an LGV. The best that it might have been was a new classic line with some 140mph
sections, but that was always highly unlikely. People confuse local aspirations and Boris's boasts with an actual plan,
but there was never a plan for any high speed (>140mph) line on that route. It's a relatively short regional railway
network with lots of stops, so completely unsuitable for an LGV. Just because a politician talks about a 'high speed
railway' doesn't mean it's an LGV.

The reality is that it'll simply be a collection of enhancement and electrification projects (ie, the existing
Transpennine Route Upgrade project) with few actual new route miles. Line speeds are unlikely to exceed 110mph.

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<us5ao3$3b455$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76793&group=uk.railway#76793

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 20:25:39 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:rHXIRyTes788PSCkcOv2M/hvkJ4=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 20:25 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <6368f3fd34a305fcab1cb753da74d332@www.novabbs.com>, at
> 15:23:01 on Sat, 2 Mar 2024, ermintrudethecat
> <andrewclarke437@gmail.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry wrote:
>>

>>> You have *got* to be kidding.
>>
>>> Two Sheffield businesses have been named in the top ten fastest
>>> growing in the region; Plusnet, which has increased revenues by
>>> almost 25 per cent to £140m, and retailer Go Outdoors, which has
>>> grown 19 per cent to £170m.
>>
>>> Construction giant SIG UK continues to be Sheffield's biggest
>>> company, generating revenues of £2.6bn and employing more than
>>> 10,000 people.
>>> The NHS hospital trust employs 16,000, and then there's the rest
>>> of the University.
>>
>>> Overall there are 240k jobs in Sheffield.
>>
>> Wow. There's a second-tier ISP,
>
> You are showing your age, that term went out of use about 20yrs ago.
>
>> a building materials company and a camping / hiking / fishing store. At
>> this rate they are going to have to rebuild Sheffield Victoria to cope
>> with the flood of new commuters. Oh, and there's some hospitals and a
>> university.
>
> Are you attempting to argue that 240k == Zero? I have news for you,
> that's a big ask.

It’s a trivial ask. Once you can prove that 1 == 0 you can prove anything
else == 0.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<21199e79184529543b650fa4584dfe3b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76798&group=uk.railway#76798

From: andrewclarke437@gmail.com (ermintrudethecat)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 06:35:51 +0000
 by: ermintrudethecat - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 06:35 UTC

Recliner wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:23:01 +0000, andrewclarke437@gmail.com (ermintrudethecat) wrote:

> Don't confuse Boris's boasts with anything in the real world. As an ex-columnist, he thought that writing a short,
> un-researched article was the final delivery of the plan.

> For example, remember this boast?
> https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/02/boris-johnson-uk-will-build-one-new-nuclear-plant-a-year.html

> Far from building one every year, not a single reactor has been ordered in the last decade, and none while he was an MP.

> The NPR route was never going to be an LGV. The best that it might have been was a new classic line with some 140mph
> sections, but that was always highly unlikely. People confuse local aspirations and Boris's boasts with an actual plan,
> but there was never a plan for any high speed (>140mph) line on that route. It's a relatively short regional railway
> network with lots of stops, so completely unsuitable for an LGV. Just because a politician talks about a 'high speed
> railway' doesn't mean it's an LGV.

> The reality is that it'll simply be a collection of enhancement and electrification projects (ie, the existing
> Transpennine Route Upgrade project) with few actual new route miles. Line speeds are unlikely to exceed 110mph.

I've always regarded Northern Powerhouse and HS3 as Boris Bright Ideas (BBIs) like the Northern Ireland Bridge and mass replacement of oil/gas boiler central heating with ground to water heat pumps: so far as I can see the only BBI that's actually worked has been the Boris Bus, and I do enjoy videos that have been shot from the top front seats of one as it winds its way through contemporary London.
What interested and amused me - and yourself as well, probably - was that so many comments published in The Spectator and the Daily Telegraph, for example, was that so many people showed not the slightest understanding that you cannot have a LGV whose TGVs keep on stopping to pick up commuters. There's the same problem in Australia, where there have been several suggestions for a Sydney-Canberra-Melbourne LGV, which people support because it will make it quicker for people in NSW and Victorian country towns to commute to Sydney and Melbourne.
As for the proposed HS3 I would have thought that Bradford's most famous export commodity could be more efficiently transported by pipeline, although I would imagine that the citizens of Manchester are capable of producing a half-decent curry all by themselves, in-house.

Andrew and Ermintrude Clarke
Canberra

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<50eb6e507a998a4e8c40ce4a9da9be8e@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76799&group=uk.railway#76799

From: andrewclarke437@gmail.com (ermintrudethecat)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 06:47:04 +0000
 by: ermintrudethecat - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 06:47 UTC

Roland Perry wrote:

> In message <6368f3fd34a305fcab1cb753da74d332@www.novabbs.com>, at
> 15:23:01 on Sat, 2 Mar 2024, ermintrudethecat
> <andrewclarke437@gmail.com> remarked:

>>Wow. There's a second-tier ISP,

> You are showing your age, that term went out of use about 20yrs ago.

A quick Google search reveals that ISP is still in use. Or is 'second tier' the problem?

>>a building materials company and a camping / hiking / fishing store. At
>>this rate they are going to have to rebuild Sheffield Victoria to cope
>>with the flood of new commuters. Oh, and there's some hospitals and a
>>university.

> Are you attempting to argue that 240k == Zero? I have news for you,
> that's a big ask.

How many of those 240k jobs are vacant and hence available to people from Brockholes, Denby Dale or Penistone?

Andrew and Ermintrude Clarke,
Canberra

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<MXCFN.175667$Fr1.151303@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76819&group=uk.railway#76819

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 11:01:00 GMT
 by: Recliner - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 11:01 UTC

ermintrudethecat <andrewclarke437@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recliner wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:23:01 +0000, andrewclarke437@gmail.com (ermintrudethecat) wrote:
>
>> Don't confuse Boris's boasts with anything in the real world. As an
>> ex-columnist, he thought that writing a short,
>> un-researched article was the final delivery of the plan.
>
>> For example, remember this boast?
>> https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/02/boris-johnson-uk-will-build-one-new-nuclear-plant-a-year.html
>
>> Far from building one every year, not a single reactor has been ordered
>> in the last decade, and none while he was an MP.
>
>> The NPR route was never going to be an LGV. The best that it might have
>> been was a new classic line with some 140mph
>> sections, but that was always highly unlikely. People confuse local
>> aspirations and Boris's boasts with an actual plan,
>> but there was never a plan for any high speed (>140mph) line on that
>> route. It's a relatively short regional railway
>> network with lots of stops, so completely unsuitable for an LGV. Just
>> because a politician talks about a 'high speed
>> railway' doesn't mean it's an LGV.
>
>> The reality is that it'll simply be a collection of enhancement and
>> electrification projects (ie, the existing
>> Transpennine Route Upgrade project) with few actual new route miles.
>> Line speeds are unlikely to exceed 110mph.
>
> I've always regarded Northern Powerhouse and HS3 as Boris Bright Ideas
> (BBIs) like the Northern Ireland Bridge and mass replacement of oil/gas
> boiler central heating with ground to water heat pumps: so far as I can
> see the only BBI that's actually worked has been the Boris Bus, and I do
> enjoy videos that have been shot from the top front seats of one as it
> winds its way through contemporary London.

Unfortunately the Boris Bus is one of his biggest disasters, because they
actually got built. His madder ideas were canned before so much money was
wasted on them (though the unwanted Garden Bridge absorbed tens of millions
with absolutely nothing to show).

Those bulbous buses are expensive, overweight and with a lower capacity
than normal double-deckers or bendies. They encourage fare evasion and are
uncomfortably hot ('Roastmasters'). The hybrid system has never worked
properly, so they're dirtier and thirstier than other, more capacious and
comfortable, buses of their age. As a result, no other city ordered any (so
TfL got none of the hoped-for licence income), and they probably will be
unwanted second-hand, too. As a result, the leasing companies wouldn't fund
them, forcing TfL to buy them itself.

As for the open rear platform, that idea soon had to be abandoned, just as
he was told would happen.

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<8090fe81303740049e36dc993e35b02d@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76847&group=uk.railway#76847

From: andrewclarke437@gmail.com (ermintrudethecat)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 00:24:19 +0000
 by: ermintrudethecat - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 00:24 UTC

Recliner wrote:

> Unfortunately the Boris Bus is one of his biggest disasters, because they
> actually got built. His madder ideas were canned before so much money was
> wasted on them (though the unwanted Garden Bridge absorbed tens of millions
> with absolutely nothing to show).

> Those bulbous buses are expensive, overweight and with a lower capacity
> than normal double-deckers or bendies. They encourage fare evasion and are
> uncomfortably hot ('Roastmasters'). The hybrid system has never worked
> properly, so they're dirtier and thirstier than other, more capacious and
> comfortable, buses of their age. As a result, no other city ordered any (so
> TfL got none of the hoped-for licence income), and they probably will be
> unwanted second-hand, too. As a result, the leasing companies wouldn't fund
> them, forcing TfL to buy them itself.

> As for the open rear platform, that idea soon had to be abandoned, just as
> he was told would happen.

So the Blond Buffoon couldn't even get that right. The pong upstairs in summer must be insufferable. Are they going to get rid of the batteries and use them as straight diesels, or get rid of the diesel and convert them into rechargeable electric?

Canberra tried bendy buses but without success, and our streets are wider and less cluttered than London's. They are still to be found in service, but usually at off-peak times, when the disproportion of passengers to seats is particularly noticeable. We have natural gas burning buses too, but I've heard that the drivers don't like them because of their poor acceleration. The emphasis now seems to be on rechargeable electric buses, with a fleet of 106 envisaged by 2026.

Andrew and Ermintrude Clarke
Canberra

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<lCPFN.141198$Erzc.136022@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76849&group=uk.railway#76849

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 01:25:37 GMT
 by: Recliner - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 01:25 UTC

ermintrudethecat <andrewclarke437@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recliner wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately the Boris Bus is one of his biggest disasters, because they
>> actually got built. His madder ideas were canned before so much money was
>> wasted on them (though the unwanted Garden Bridge absorbed tens of millions
>> with absolutely nothing to show).
>
>> Those bulbous buses are expensive, overweight and with a lower capacity
>> than normal double-deckers or bendies. They encourage fare evasion and are
>> uncomfortably hot ('Roastmasters'). The hybrid system has never worked
>> properly, so they're dirtier and thirstier than other, more capacious and
>> comfortable, buses of their age. As a result, no other city ordered any (so
>> TfL got none of the hoped-for licence income), and they probably will be
>> unwanted second-hand, too. As a result, the leasing companies wouldn't fund
>> them, forcing TfL to buy them itself.
>
>> As for the open rear platform, that idea soon had to be abandoned, just as
>> he was told would happen.
>

> So the Blond Buffoon couldn't even get that right.

It's hard to think of (m)any achievements in his eight years as mayor. The
bike hire scheme, perhaps, but that was really a Ken project. Maybe the
Cycle Superhighways (ie, connected bike lanes, as found in most of northern
Europe)?

> The pong upstairs in summer must be insufferable. Are they going to get
> rid of the batteries and use them as straight diesels, or get rid of the
> diesel and convert them into rechargeable electric?

There's a proposal to convert them to battery electric, but such projects
often fail to meet expectations.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2023/tfl-testing-first-fully-electric-new-routemaster-bus-electrichybrid/

I have my doubts that a claimed 150 mile range will be enough to run all
day after an overnight charge in the depot, particularly in winter. The new
BEV buses claim a longer range.

Pure diesel wouldn't be an option in London, so I suspect they'll have a
much shorter service life than most London buses.

> Canberra tried bendy buses but without success, and our streets are wider
> and less cluttered than London's. They are still to be found in service,
> but usually at off-peak times, when the disproportion of passengers to
> seats is particularly noticeable. We have natural gas burning buses too,
> but I've heard that the drivers don't like them because of their poor
> acceleration. The emphasis now seems to be on rechargeable electric
> buses, with a fleet of 106 envisaged by 2026.

London now has well over 1000 electric buses, mostly double-deckers. So
there are now more battery than Boris buses in London. They're very nice to
travel on, but one model seems to have a fiery disposition.

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<ajlfuipbjgq3e6695136hgkuo9rekdit81@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76850&group=uk.railway#76850

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 18:40:34 -0800
References: <6e0562cf570c25516e5ceaed05bc5db2@www.novabbs.com> <474Gb+xN8R3lFAzx@perry.uk> <9e801ed92975179091953172e8dc2d54@www.novabbs.com> <Ir7Kv2dCO63lFAEV@perry.uk> <6368f3fd34a305fcab1cb753da74d332@www.novabbs.com> <otnbuitpnadf92llt62ktdhgm6phsbom06@4ax.com> <21199e79184529543b650fa4584dfe3b@www.novabbs.com> <MXCFN.175667$Fr1.151303@fx11.ams1> <8090fe81303740049e36dc993e35b02d@www.novabbs.com>
 by: Nobody - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 02:40 UTC

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 00:24:19 +0000, andrewclarke437@gmail.com
(ermintrudethecat) wrote:

>Recliner wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately the Boris Bus is one of his biggest disasters, because they
>> actually got built. His madder ideas were canned before so much money was
>> wasted on them (though the unwanted Garden Bridge absorbed tens of millions
>> with absolutely nothing to show).
>
>> Those bulbous buses are expensive, overweight and with a lower capacity
>> than normal double-deckers or bendies. They encourage fare evasion and are
>> uncomfortably hot ('Roastmasters'). The hybrid system has never worked
>> properly, so they're dirtier and thirstier than other, more capacious and
>> comfortable, buses of their age. As a result, no other city ordered any (so
>> TfL got none of the hoped-for licence income), and they probably will be
>> unwanted second-hand, too. As a result, the leasing companies wouldn't fund
>> them, forcing TfL to buy them itself.
>
>> As for the open rear platform, that idea soon had to be abandoned, just as
>> he was told would happen.
>

>So the Blond Buffoon couldn't even get that right. The pong upstairs in summer must be insufferable. Are they going to get rid of the batteries and use them as straight diesels, or get rid of the diesel and convert them into rechargeable electric?
>
>Canberra tried bendy buses but without success,

I'd ask whatever authority runs transit in the ACT to *please* ship
'em to Metro Vancouver.

Oh, Houston... we have a problem... the doors are on the wrong side.
<sigh>

We have multiple routes which simply cannot handle the demand, even
with bendy buses.

But then our population density is ant-like compared to the Ozzie/Kiwi
spread.

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<1dee3198bce6232176bcf542e5e48bfe@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76894&group=uk.railway#76894

From: andrewclarke437@gmail.com (ermintrudethecat)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 15:31:16 +0000
References: <6e0562cf570c25516e5ceaed05bc5db2@www.novabbs.com> <474Gb+xN8R3lFAzx@perry.uk> <9e801ed92975179091953172e8dc2d54@www.novabbs.com> <Ir7Kv2dCO63lFAEV@perry.uk> <6368f3fd34a305fcab1cb753da74d332@www.novabbs.com> <otnbuitpnadf92llt62ktdhgm6phsbom06@4ax.com> <21199e79184529543b650fa4584dfe3b@www.novabbs.com> <MXCFN.175667$Fr1.151303@fx11.ams1> <8090fe81303740049e36dc993e35b02d@www.novabbs.com> <ajlfuipbjgq3e6695136hgkuo9rekdit81@4ax.com>
 by: ermintrudethecat - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 15:31 UTC

Nobody wrote:

> Oh, Houston... we have a problem... the doors are on the wrong side.
> <sigh>

> We have multiple routes which simply cannot handle the demand, even
> with bendy buses.

> But then our population density is ant-like compared to the Ozzie/Kiwi
> spread.

Canberra is certainly spread out, but it's been planned as a series of 'towns' - Belconnen, Gungahlin, Woden, Tuggeranong etc. - within which local buses run to a central 'interchange'. Currently there are frequent intertown bus services, but the plan is to replace these with light rail, which already runs between Civic (in the middle of Canberra) and Gungahlin. The problem is, that before you can get a light rail south of Civic to the Parliamentary Triangle or down to the 'towns' of Woden and Tuggeranong, you have to cross a very large lake, and the Powers That Be have yet to tel us how they're going to manage this. Similarly there is said to be another line going up to Belconnen, but we don't know as yet how they are going to get the trams up the hill to get there, unless they are going to revert to cable haulage or substitute some kind of dirigible. It's all very Green, and indeed the present government of the Australian Capital Territory needs Green support in order to govern, so we have learnt to live with this sort of thing. A lot of us think that electric buses throughout would be more flexible, just as effective and a whole lot cheaper.

Walther Burley Griffin, who originally designed the place, wanted a railway station near Civic. Instead, they built one in one of the southwestern suburbs, where it slumbers on with its one platform serving half a dozen trains to Sydney and back. It's a very pleasant journey through the Molonglo Gorge to Goulburn and from there down through the Southern Tablelands to Sydney, but it is an hour slower than the competing bus service which runs hourly through much of the day.

Andrew and Ermintrude Clarke
Canberra

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<jm6hui9f8q0pooi01613lsovi7omm206ul@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76909&group=uk.railway#76909

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 08:38:51 -0800
References: <474Gb+xN8R3lFAzx@perry.uk> <9e801ed92975179091953172e8dc2d54@www.novabbs.com> <Ir7Kv2dCO63lFAEV@perry.uk> <6368f3fd34a305fcab1cb753da74d332@www.novabbs.com> <otnbuitpnadf92llt62ktdhgm6phsbom06@4ax.com> <21199e79184529543b650fa4584dfe3b@www.novabbs.com> <MXCFN.175667$Fr1.151303@fx11.ams1> <8090fe81303740049e36dc993e35b02d@www.novabbs.com> <ajlfuipbjgq3e6695136hgkuo9rekdit81@4ax.com> <1dee3198bce6232176bcf542e5e48bfe@www.novabbs.com>
 by: Nobody - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:38 UTC

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 15:31:16 +0000, andrewclarke437@gmail.com
(ermintrudethecat) wrote:

>Nobody wrote:
>
>> Oh, Houston... we have a problem... the doors are on the wrong side.
>> <sigh>
>
>> We have multiple routes which simply cannot handle the demand, even
>> with bendy buses.
>
>> But then our population density is ant-like compared to the Ozzie/Kiwi
>> spread.
>
>Canberra is certainly spread out, but it's been planned as a series of 'towns' - Belconnen, Gungahlin, Woden, Tuggeranong etc. - within which local buses run to a central 'interchange'. Currently there are frequent intertown bus services, but the plan is to replace these with light rail, which already runs between Civic (in the middle of Canberra) and Gungahlin. The problem is, that before you can get a light rail south of Civic to the Parliamentary Triangle or down to the 'towns' of Woden and Tuggeranong, you have to cross a very large lake, and the Powers That Be have yet to tel us how they're going to manage this.

They be scared of the Big Burly (deliberate) Gryphons which reside
there, as with Nessie in a loch doing a highland fling.