All of life is a blur of Republicans and meat!

aus+uk / uk.railway / Levelling Up on BahGumRail

SubjectAuthor
* Levelling Up on BahGumRailermintrudethecat
+* Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRailRoland Perry

Pages:12
Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<6e0562cf570c25516e5ceaed05bc5db2@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76345&group=uk.railway#76345

From: andrewclarke437@gmail.com (ermintrudethecat)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Levelling Up on BahGumRail
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:51:36 +0000
 by: ermintrudethecat - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:51 UTC

I read somewhere that the line between Huddersfield and Sheffield via Penistone is to receive a Levelling-Up grant, and I was wondering why. AIUI, the people who buy houses in places like Shelley and Stocksmoor don't commute into either terminus - because there's no work there - but hit the M62 and drive to Leeds and Manchester, where there is.

Meanwhile I understand that there's now more demand for houses in the Calder Valley - places like Slaithwaite - and it sounds as if places along the Gertrude Stein Line via Todmorden are also doing well.

Are we in fact getting linear suburbs of small towns and villages whose inhabitants don't work in their traditional centres like Bradford or Halifax or Huddersfield, but at Manchester at one end and Leeds at the other?

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
using NovaBBS

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<474Gb+xN8R3lFAzx@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76346&group=uk.railway#76346

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 23:30:21 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 23:30 UTC

In message <6e0562cf570c25516e5ceaed05bc5db2@www.novabbs.com>, at
22:51:36 on Mon, 26 Feb 2024, ermintrudethecat
<andrewclarke437@gmail.com> remarked:
>I read somewhere that the line between Huddersfield and Sheffield via
>Penistone is to receive a Levelling-Up grant, and I was wondering why.
>AIUI, the people who buy houses in places like Shelley and Stocksmoor
>don't commute into either terminus - because there's no work there -
>but hit the M62 and drive to Leeds and Manchester, where there is.
>Meanwhile I understand that there's now more demand for houses in the
>Calder Valley - places like Slaithwaite - and it sounds as if places
>along the Gertrude Stein Line via Todmorden are also doing well.
>
>Are we in fact getting linear suburbs of small towns and villages whose
>inhabitants don't work in their traditional centres like Bradford or
>Halifax or Huddersfield, but at Manchester at one end and Leeds at the
>other?

There's a ripple effect here, so people who live in Cambridge commute to
London, from Ely commute to Cambridge, and from March commute to Ely.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<Kxs7jVOFcS3lFw1r@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76347&group=uk.railway#76347

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 00:04:21 +0000
 by: Adrian - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 00:04 UTC

In message <6e0562cf570c25516e5ceaed05bc5db2@www.novabbs.com>,
ermintrudethecat <andrewclarke437@gmail.com> writes
>I read somewhere that the line between Huddersfield and Sheffield via
>Penistone is to receive a Levelling-Up grant, and I was wondering why.
>AIUI, the people who buy houses in places like Shelley and Stocksmoor
>don't commute into either terminus - because there's no work there -
>but hit the M62 and drive to Leeds and Manchester, where there is.
>Meanwhile I understand that there's now more demand for houses in the
>Calder Valley - places like Slaithwaite - and it sounds as if places
>along the Gertrude Stein Line via Todmorden are also doing well.

Since when was Slaithwaite in Calderdale ?

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<737d70b3d9a74795fd6fd24212e0bac9@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76381&group=uk.railway#76381

From: andrewclarke437@gmail.com (ermintrudethecat)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:11:30 +0000
 by: ermintrudethecat - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:11 UTC

Adrian wrote:

> Since when was Slaithwaite in Calderdale ?

> Adrian

T'Colne Valley then ...

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<9e801ed92975179091953172e8dc2d54@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76451&group=uk.railway#76451

From: andrewclarke437@gmail.com (ermintrudethecat)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 20:33:35 +0000
 by: ermintrudethecat - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 20:33 UTC

Roland Perry wrote:

> In message <6e0562cf570c25516e5ceaed05bc5db2@www.novabbs.com>, at
> 22:51:36 on Mon, 26 Feb 2024, ermintrudethecat
> <andrewclarke437@gmail.com> remarked:
>>I read somewhere that the line between Huddersfield and Sheffield via
>>Penistone is to receive a Levelling-Up grant, and I was wondering why.
>>AIUI, the people who buy houses in places like Shelley and Stocksmoor
>>don't commute into either terminus - because there's no work there -
>>but hit the M62 and drive to Leeds and Manchester, where there is.
>>Meanwhile I understand that there's now more demand for houses in the
>>Calder Valley - places like Slaithwaite - and it sounds as if places
>>along the Gertrude Stein Line via Todmorden are also doing well.
>>
>>Are we in fact getting linear suburbs of small towns and villages whose
>>inhabitants don't work in their traditional centres like Bradford or
>>Halifax or Huddersfield, but at Manchester at one end and Leeds at the
>>other?

> There's a ripple effect here, so people who live in Cambridge commute to
> London, from Ely commute to Cambridge, and from March commute to Ely.

That's because there's jobs in Ely and Cambridge. I once read of people in Leeds commuting to London, and there must be people commuting to Leeds. But AIUI there's not much employment in Huddersfield or Sheffield, so improving the railway between the two - including more track redoubling to allow a train every 30 min rather than every hour - doesn't sound much like levelling up. Of course, as a juvenile user of the line - I could see it from my bedroom window - I'm happy that the line has survived, let alone being a candidate for improved services.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<Ir7Kv2dCO63lFAEV@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76453&group=uk.railway#76453

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 21:20:02 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 21:20 UTC

In message <9e801ed92975179091953172e8dc2d54@www.novabbs.com>, at
20:33:35 on Wed, 28 Feb 2024, ermintrudethecat
<andrewclarke437@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry wrote:
>
>> In message <6e0562cf570c25516e5ceaed05bc5db2@www.novabbs.com>, at
>>22:51:36 on Mon, 26 Feb 2024, ermintrudethecat
>><andrewclarke437@gmail.com> remarked:
>>>I read somewhere that the line between Huddersfield and Sheffield via
>>>Penistone is to receive a Levelling-Up grant, and I was wondering
>>>why. AIUI, the people who buy houses in places like Shelley and
>>>Stocksmoor don't commute into either terminus - because there's no
>>>work there - but hit the M62 and drive to Leeds and Manchester, where
>>>there is.
>>>Meanwhile I understand that there's now more demand for houses in the
>>>Calder Valley - places like Slaithwaite - and it sounds as if places
>>>along the Gertrude Stein Line via Todmorden are also doing well.
>>>
>>>Are we in fact getting linear suburbs of small towns and villages
>>>whose inhabitants don't work in their traditional centres like
>>>Bradford or Halifax or Huddersfield, but at Manchester at one end and
>>>Leeds at the other?
>
>> There's a ripple effect here, so people who live in Cambridge commute
>>to London, from Ely commute to Cambridge, and from March commute to
>>Ely.
>
>That's because there's jobs in Ely and Cambridge. I once read of people
>in Leeds commuting to London, and there must be people commuting to
>Leeds. But AIUI there's not much employment in Huddersfield or
>Sheffield,

You have *got* to be kidding.

Two Sheffield businesses have been named in the top ten fastest
growing in the region; Plusnet, which has increased revenues by
almost 25 per cent to £140m, and retailer Go Outdoors, which has
grown 19 per cent to £170m.

Construction giant SIG UK continues to be Sheffield's biggest
company, generating revenues of £2.6bn and employing more than
10,000 people.
The NHS hospital trust employs 16,000, and then there's the rest
of the University.

Overall there are 240k jobs in Sheffield.

You can look up Huddersfield for yourself.

--
Roland Perry

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<urpeff$e01v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76461&group=uk.railway#76461

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:15:43 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:CflzON61dJsyg1wlSN6xfkcB5A4=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:15 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <9e801ed92975179091953172e8dc2d54@www.novabbs.com>, at
> 20:33:35 on Wed, 28 Feb 2024, ermintrudethecat
> <andrewclarke437@gmail.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry wrote:
>>
>>> In message <6e0562cf570c25516e5ceaed05bc5db2@www.novabbs.com>, at
>>> 22:51:36 on Mon, 26 Feb 2024, ermintrudethecat
>>> <andrewclarke437@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> There's a ripple effect here, so people who live in Cambridge commute
>>> to London, from Ely commute to Cambridge, and from March commute to
>>> Ely.
>>
>> That's because there's jobs in Ely and Cambridge. I once read of people
>> in Leeds commuting to London, and there must be people commuting to
>> Leeds. But AIUI there's not much employment in Huddersfield or
>> Sheffield,
>
> You have *got* to be kidding.
>
> Two Sheffield businesses have been named in the top ten fastest
> growing in the region; Plusnet, which has increased revenues by
> almost 25 per cent to £140m, and retailer Go Outdoors, which has
> grown 19 per cent to £170m.
>
> Construction giant SIG UK continues to be Sheffield's biggest
> company, generating revenues of £2.6bn and employing more than
> 10,000 people.
> The NHS hospital trust employs 16,000, and then there's the rest
> of the University.
>
> Overall there are 240k jobs in Sheffield.
>
> You can look up Huddersfield for yourself.
>> so improving the railway between the two - including more track
>> redoubling to allow a train every 30 min rather than every hour -
>> doesn't sound much like levelling up. Of course, as a juvenile user of
>> the line - I could see it from my bedroom window - I'm happy that the
>> line has survived, let alone being a candidate for improved services.
>>
>> Andrew Clarke
>> Canberra

I doubt Plusnet itself makes much of an impact. In its 2022 financial
report it had 972 employees. Turnover £400m gross profit £160m (approx).
Capital employed £122m. I didn’t realise being an ISP was so profitable.

Many ex-industrial towns/cities are being propped up by universities and
hospitals. If you remove the universities the loss of direct employment and
indirect employment (eg all the small businesses that provide food,
entertainment etc to students) would be devastating. The current financial
crisis within the HE sector is going to have many unintended consequences
if things get worse.

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<JjXDN.12317$Mbc3.11826@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76462&group=uk.railway#76462

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:33:45 GMT
 by: Recliner - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:33 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <9e801ed92975179091953172e8dc2d54@www.novabbs.com>, at
>> 20:33:35 on Wed, 28 Feb 2024, ermintrudethecat
>> <andrewclarke437@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> That's because there's jobs in Ely and Cambridge. I once read of people
>>> in Leeds commuting to London, and there must be people commuting to
>>> Leeds. But AIUI there's not much employment in Huddersfield or
>>> Sheffield,
>>
>> You have *got* to be kidding.
>>
>> Two Sheffield businesses have been named in the top ten fastest
>> growing in the region; Plusnet, which has increased revenues by
>> almost 25 per cent to £140m, and retailer Go Outdoors, which has
>> grown 19 per cent to £170m.
>>
>> Construction giant SIG UK continues to be Sheffield's biggest
>> company, generating revenues of £2.6bn and employing more than
>> 10,000 people.
>> The NHS hospital trust employs 16,000, and then there's the rest
>> of the University.
>>
>> Overall there are 240k jobs in Sheffield.
>>
>> You can look up Huddersfield for yourself.
>>> so improving the railway between the two - including more track
>>> redoubling to allow a train every 30 min rather than every hour -
>>> doesn't sound much like levelling up. Of course, as a juvenile user of
>>> the line - I could see it from my bedroom window - I'm happy that the
>>> line has survived, let alone being a candidate for improved services.
>>>
>>> Andrew Clarke
>>> Canberra
>>

> I doubt Plusnet itself makes much of an impact. In its 2022 financial
> report it had 972 employees.

And I assume most of them are in the field, not the head office.

> Turnover £400m gross profit £160m (approx).
> Capital employed £122m. I didn’t realise being an ISP was so profitable.

The profit after tax was only £57.7m, so not especially profitable. I
suppose the assets seem low as it mainly uses the Openreach infrastructure.

> Many ex-industrial towns/cities are being propped up by universities and
> hospitals. If you remove the universities the loss of direct employment and
> indirect employment (eg all the small businesses that provide food,
> entertainment etc to students) would be devastating. The current financial
> crisis within the HE sector is going to have many unintended consequences
> if things get worse.

Yes, good point. In effect, these ex-industrial areas are being propped up
by the public sector, using funding that will be in short supply going
forward. New, private businesses are not flocking to those areas, despite
the low costs. But I wonder if Sheffield might benefit from the RR
mini-nukes?

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<urpgnr$edu9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76464&group=uk.railway#76464

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:54:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:UOzma0OGuBzvd81jtrozuyXUaZY=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:54 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <9e801ed92975179091953172e8dc2d54@www.novabbs.com>, at
>>> 20:33:35 on Wed, 28 Feb 2024, ermintrudethecat
>>> <andrewclarke437@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> You have *got* to be kidding.
>>>
>>> Two Sheffield businesses have been named in the top ten fastest
>>> growing in the region; Plusnet, which has increased revenues by
>>> almost 25 per cent to £140m, and retailer Go Outdoors, which has
>>> grown 19 per cent to £170m.
>>>
>>> Construction giant SIG UK continues to be Sheffield's biggest
>>> company, generating revenues of £2.6bn and employing more than
>>> 10,000 people.
>>> The NHS hospital trust employs 16,000, and then there's the rest
>>> of the University.
>>>
>>> Overall there are 240k jobs in Sheffield.
>>>
>>> You can look up Huddersfield for yourself.

>> I doubt Plusnet itself makes much of an impact. In its 2022 financial
>> report it had 972 employees.
>
> And I assume most of them are in the field, not the head office.
>
>> Turnover £400m gross profit £160m (approx).
>> Capital employed £122m. I didn’t realise being an ISP was so profitable.
>
> The profit after tax was only £57.7m, so not especially profitable. I
> suppose the assets seem low as it mainly uses the Openreach infrastructure.
>

>> Many ex-industrial towns/cities are being propped up by universities and
>> hospitals. If you remove the universities the loss of direct employment and
>> indirect employment (eg all the small businesses that provide food,
>> entertainment etc to students) would be devastating. The current financial
>> crisis within the HE sector is going to have many unintended consequences
>> if things get worse.
>
> Yes, good point. In effect, these ex-industrial areas are being propped up
> by the public sector, using funding that will be in short supply going
> forward. New, private businesses are not flocking to those areas, despite
> the low costs. But I wonder if Sheffield might benefit from the RR
> mini-nukes?

There seems to be quite a lot of economic activity in small business
parks/light industrial units around the edges of such cites. It’s the
centres that are almost utterly dependent on universities, especially with
the ongoing collapse of city centre based shopping centres.

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<bIA+XsjT7G4lFAdk@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76510&group=uk.railway#76510

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:47:31 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:47 UTC

In message <urpeff$e01v$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:15:43 on Thu, 29 Feb
2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <9e801ed92975179091953172e8dc2d54@www.novabbs.com>, at
>> 20:33:35 on Wed, 28 Feb 2024, ermintrudethecat
>> <andrewclarke437@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> That's because there's jobs in Ely and Cambridge. I once read of people
>>> in Leeds commuting to London, and there must be people commuting to
>>> Leeds. But AIUI there's not much employment in Huddersfield or
>>> Sheffield,
>>
>> You have *got* to be kidding.
>>
>> Two Sheffield businesses have been named in the top ten fastest
>> growing in the region; Plusnet, which has increased revenues by
>> almost 25 per cent to £140m, and retailer Go Outdoors, which has
>> grown 19 per cent to £170m.
>>
>> Construction giant SIG UK continues to be Sheffield's biggest
>> company, generating revenues of £2.6bn and employing more than
>> 10,000 people.
>> The NHS hospital trust employs 16,000, and then there's the rest
>> of the University.
>>
>> Overall there are 240k jobs in Sheffield.
>>
>> You can look up Huddersfield for yourself.
>>> so improving the railway between the two - including more track
>>> redoubling to allow a train every 30 min rather than every hour -
>>> doesn't sound much like levelling up. Of course, as a juvenile user of
>>> the line - I could see it from my bedroom window - I'm happy that the
>>> line has survived, let alone being a candidate for improved services.
>>>
>>> Andrew Clarke
>>> Canberra
>>

>I doubt Plusnet itself makes much of an impact.

It's 972 more than the "no jobs" according to the PP.

>In its 2022 financial report it had 972 employees. Turnover £400m
>gross profit £160m (approx). Capital employed £122m. I didn’t
>realise being an ISP was so profitable.

They'll be making most of the profit on phone calls, and very low use
customers.
] >Many ex-industrial towns/cities are being propped up by universities and
>hospitals. If you remove the universities the loss of direct employment and
>indirect employment (eg all the small businesses that provide food,
>entertainment etc to students) would be devastating.

Unil that happens to Sheffield, the PP is, to put it mildly, "plain
wrong".

--
Roland Perry

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<lJuh3Pkr9G4lFAbt@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76511&group=uk.railway#76511

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:50:03 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:50 UTC

In message <JjXDN.12317$Mbc3.11826@fx08.ams1>, at 08:33:45 on Thu, 29
Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <9e801ed92975179091953172e8dc2d54@www.novabbs.com>, at
>>> 20:33:35 on Wed, 28 Feb 2024, ermintrudethecat
>>> <andrewclarke437@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> You have *got* to be kidding.
>>>
>>> Two Sheffield businesses have been named in the top ten fastest
>>> growing in the region; Plusnet, which has increased revenues by
>>> almost 25 per cent to £140m, and retailer Go Outdoors, which has
>>> grown 19 per cent to £170m.
>>>
>>> Construction giant SIG UK continues to be Sheffield's biggest
>>> company, generating revenues of £2.6bn and employing more than
>>> 10,000 people.
>>> The NHS hospital trust employs 16,000, and then there's the rest
>>> of the University.
>>>
>>> Overall there are 240k jobs in Sheffield.
>>>
>>> You can look up Huddersfield for yourself.

>> I doubt Plusnet itself makes much of an impact. In its 2022 financial
>> report it had 972 employees.
>
>And I assume most of them are in the field, not the head office.

Which field is that? Openreach does all the installations.

>> Turnover £400m gross profit £160m (approx).
>> Capital employed £122m. I didn’t realise being an ISP was so profitable.
>
>The profit after tax was only £57.7m, so not especially profitable. I
>suppose the assets seem low as it mainly uses the Openreach infrastructure.
>I wonder if Sheffield might benefit from the RR
>mini-nukes?

Derby more likely, I'd have thought.

--
Roland Perry

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<sZ$jjnku+G4lFA7p@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76512&group=uk.railway#76512

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:51:10 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:51 UTC

In message <urpgnr$edu9$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:54:19 on Thu, 29 Feb
2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>There seems to be quite a lot of economic activity in small business
>parks/light industrial units around the edges of such cites. It’s the
>centres that are almost utterly dependent on universities, especially with
>the ongoing collapse of city centre based shopping centres.

I can tell you've not been to Sheffield recently.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<rns0ui5p1pvejcjsdmmjg3s8e068eo6k2i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76513&group=uk.railway#76513

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:06:30 +0000
 by: Recliner - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:06 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:50:03 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

>In message <JjXDN.12317$Mbc3.11826@fx08.ams1>, at 08:33:45 on Thu, 29
>Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>I wonder if Sheffield might benefit from the RR
>>mini-nukes?
>

>Derby more likely, I'd have thought.

Perhaps neither:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-62038190

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<urpscd$gsu9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76514&group=uk.railway#76514

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:13:01 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:VrTyUQtvzvatrTDtvCureFKGrnA=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:13 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <urpgnr$edu9$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:54:19 on Thu, 29 Feb
> 2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>
>> There seems to be quite a lot of economic activity in small business
>> parks/light industrial units around the edges of such cites. It’s the
>> centres that are almost utterly dependent on universities, especially with
>> the ongoing collapse of city centre based shopping centres.
>
> I can tell you've not been to Sheffield recently.

No. Last time I set foot there was about 12 years ago. What has changed?

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<GnfJsfltKI4lFAcJ@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76522&group=uk.railway#76522

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 13:12:13 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 13:12 UTC

In message <urpscd$gsu9$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:13:01 on Thu, 29 Feb
2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <urpgnr$edu9$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:54:19 on Thu, 29 Feb
>> 2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>>
>>> There seems to be quite a lot of economic activity in small business
>>> parks/light industrial units around the edges of such cites. It’s the
>>> centres that are almost utterly dependent on universities, especially with
>>> the ongoing collapse of city centre based shopping centres.
>>
>> I can tell you've not been to Sheffield recently.
>
>No. Last time I set foot there was about 12 years ago. What has changed?

It has significantly regenerated.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<33DFoAmcMI4lFAbh@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76523&group=uk.railway#76523

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 13:14:04 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 13:14 UTC

In message <rns0ui5p1pvejcjsdmmjg3s8e068eo6k2i@4ax.com>, at 12:06:30 on
Thu, 29 Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:50:03 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <JjXDN.12317$Mbc3.11826@fx08.ams1>, at 08:33:45 on Thu, 29
>>Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>
>>>I wonder if Sheffield might benefit from the RR
>>>mini-nukes?
>>

>>Derby more likely, I'd have thought.
>
>Perhaps neither:
>
>https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-62038190

Gur cbgragvny snpgbel ybpngvbaf ner: Evpuzbaq va Abegu Lbexfuver,
Qrrfvqr va Jnyrf, Sreeloevqtr, Fgnyyvatobebhtu va Yvapbyafuver,
Fhaqreynaq naq Pneyvfyr.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<fE+$5HEeqI4lFwsg@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76527&group=uk.railway#76527

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 13:46:06 +0000
 by: Adrian - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 13:46 UTC

In message <lJuh3Pkr9G4lFAbt@perry.uk>, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
writes
>In message <JjXDN.12317$Mbc3.11826@fx08.ams1>, at 08:33:45 on Thu, 29
>Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>I wonder if Sheffield might benefit from the RR
>>mini-nukes?
>

>Derby more likely, I'd have thought.

The likes of Forgemasters could well get some business out of it. IIRC,
they were bought by the MOD (nationalised in effect) so that we could
retain the ability to make the reactors for nuclear subs in the UK.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<vg51ui5fjlskt87cdqsmd4fidjp4199mjq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76530&group=uk.railway#76530

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 14:35:33 +0000
 by: Recliner - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 14:35 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 13:46:06 +0000, Adrian <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:

>In message <lJuh3Pkr9G4lFAbt@perry.uk>, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>writes
>>In message <JjXDN.12317$Mbc3.11826@fx08.ams1>, at 08:33:45 on Thu, 29
>>Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>>I wonder if Sheffield might benefit from the RR
>>>mini-nukes?
>>

>>Derby more likely, I'd have thought.
>>

>The likes of Forgemasters could well get some business out of it. IIRC,
>they were bought by the MOD (nationalised in effect) so that we could
>retain the ability to make the reactors for nuclear subs in the UK.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of.

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<urqcca$mvgf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76549&group=uk.railway#76549

From: bob@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:46:02 +0100
 by: Bob - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:46 UTC

On 29.02.2024 14:14, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <rns0ui5p1pvejcjsdmmjg3s8e068eo6k2i@4ax.com>, at 12:06:30 on
> Thu, 29 Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>> On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:50:03 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <JjXDN.12317$Mbc3.11826@fx08.ams1>, at 08:33:45 on Thu, 29
>>> Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Derby more likely, I'd have thought.
>>
>> Perhaps neither:
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-62038190
>
> Gur cbgragvny snpgbel ybpngvbaf ner: Evpuzbaq va Abegu Lbexfuver,
> Qrrfvqr va Jnyrf, Sreeloevqtr, Fgnyyvatobebhtu va Yvapbyafuver,
> Fhaqreynaq naq Pneyvfyr.

I've not seen ROT13 used in anger in ages.

Way back when the internet was young, the first time I encountered it,
not realising what it was, I manually applied frequency analysis and
decoded it by hand!

Robin

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<urqd9b$n79v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76552&group=uk.railway#76552

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:01:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:2gGbRdclf2b5BNwLZlGEayPAPVM=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:01 UTC

Bob <bob@domain.com> wrote:
> On 29.02.2024 14:14, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <rns0ui5p1pvejcjsdmmjg3s8e068eo6k2i@4ax.com>, at 12:06:30 on

>>> Perhaps neither:
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-62038190
>>
>> Gur cbgragvny snpgbel ybpngvbaf ner: Evpuzbaq va Abegu Lbexfuver,
>> Qrrfvqr va Jnyrf, Sreeloevqtr, Fgnyyvatobebhtu va Yvapbyafuver,
>> Fhaqreynaq naq Pneyvfyr.
>
> I've not seen ROT13 used in anger in ages.
>
> Way back when the internet was young, the first time I encountered it,
> not realising what it was, I manually applied frequency analysis and
> decoded it by hand!
>
> Robin

The question is why was it used by Roland?

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<urqlvu$p2g8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76561&group=uk.railway#76561

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 19:30:06 -0000 (UTC)
<urqd9b$n79v$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:qlORaPhpuBkELQg4L7rsf8zb3yc=
 by: Sam Wilson - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 19:30 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bob <bob@domain.com> wrote:
>> On 29.02.2024 14:14, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <rns0ui5p1pvejcjsdmmjg3s8e068eo6k2i@4ax.com>, at 12:06:30 on
>>> Thu, 29 Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Gur cbgragvny snpgbel ybpngvbaf ner: Evpuzbaq va Abegu Lbexfuver,
>>> Qrrfvqr va Jnyrf, Sreeloevqtr, Fgnyyvatobebhtu va Yvapbyafuver,
>>> Fhaqreynaq naq Pneyvfyr.
>>
>> I've not seen ROT13 used in anger in ages.
>>
>> Way back when the internet was young, the first time I encountered it,
>> not realising what it was, I manually applied frequency analysis and
>> decoded it by hand!
>>
>> Robin
>>

> The question is why was it used by Roland?

Perhaps he’s forgotten how to write “spoiler warning” (assuming he thinks
that the information he posted was some kind of spoiler).

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<cc6EN.165930$Fr1.17530@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76568&group=uk.railway#76568

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:56:40 GMT
 by: Recliner - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:56 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <JjXDN.12317$Mbc3.11826@fx08.ams1>, at 08:33:45 on Thu, 29
> Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I doubt Plusnet itself makes much of an impact. In its 2022 financial
>>> report it had 972 employees.
>>
>> And I assume most of them are in the field, not the head office.
>
> Which field is that? Openreach does all the installations.

Only 248 employees work in the Sheffield head office, in a serviced offices
building.

https://www.zoominfo.com/pic/plusnet-plc/53512227

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<T3FMIJ4EKP4lFAvz@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76569&group=uk.railway#76569

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:09:24 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:09 UTC

In message <urqlvu$p2g8$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:30:06 on Thu, 29 Feb
2024, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Bob <bob@domain.com> wrote:

>>> I've not seen ROT13 used in anger in ages.
>>>
>>> Way back when the internet was young, the first time I encountered it,
>>> not realising what it was, I manually applied frequency analysis and
>>> decoded it by hand!
>>>
>>> Robin
>>>

>> The question is why was it used by Roland?
>
>Perhaps he’s forgotten how to write “spoiler warning” (assuming he thinks
>that the information he posted was some kind of spoiler).

Recliner couldn't be bothered to spend ten seconds quoting a relevant
abstract, so I did. Plus two seconds ROT13ing it to try to make a point.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<bXEOQ14CNP4lFAMG@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76570&group=uk.railway#76570

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:12:34 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:12 UTC

In message <cc6EN.165930$Fr1.17530@fx11.ams1>, at 20:56:40 on Thu, 29
Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <JjXDN.12317$Mbc3.11826@fx08.ams1>, at 08:33:45 on Thu, 29
>> Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> And I assume most of them are in the field, not the head office.
>>
>> Which field is that? Openreach does all the installations.
>
>Only 248 employees work in the Sheffield head office, in a serviced offices
>building.

And which field do the rest work in - and do they get muddy boots?

Don't be shy...

>https://www.zoominfo.com/pic/plusnet-plc/53512227

--
Roland Perry

Re: Levelling Up on BahGumRail

<urqsv2$qh4v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76571&group=uk.railway#76571

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:29:06 -0000 (UTC)
<urqd9b$n79v$1@dont-email.me>
<urqlvu$p2g8$1@dont-email.me>
<T3FMIJ4EKP4lFAvz@perry.uk>
sha1:043oM8UgtUKq07z9Ny9BlzU6xsQ=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:29 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <urqlvu$p2g8$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:30:06 on Thu, 29 Feb
> 2024, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The question is why was it used by Roland?
>>
>> Perhaps he’s forgotten how to write “spoiler warning” (assuming he thinks
>> that the information he posted was some kind of spoiler).
>
> Recliner couldn't be bothered to spend ten seconds quoting a relevant
> abstract, so I did. Plus two seconds ROT13ing it to try to make a point.

A point way over my head I’m afraid.