Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur. [Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.]

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: windscreen repair or replacement

SubjectAuthor
* windscreen repair or replacementlindsay
+- Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
+* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|`- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
+* Re: windscreen repair or replacementClocky
|`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
| `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
|  `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
|   `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
|    `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
|     `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
|      +- Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
|      `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementClocky
|       `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
+* Re: windscreen repair or replacementTrevor Wilson
|`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
| `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementTrevor Wilson
|  `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|   +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementTrevor Wilson
|   |`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|   | `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementClocky
|   `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementlindsay
|    +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
|    |`- Re: windscreen repair or replacementalvey
|    `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     |`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     | `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     |  `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     |   `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     |    `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     |     +- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
|     |     `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     |      `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     |       `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementTrevor Wilson
|     |+* Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
|     ||`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementKeithr0
|     || `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     |+* Re: windscreen repair or replacementKeithr0
|     ||`- Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
|     |+* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     ||+- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
|     ||`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     || `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     ||  `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     ||   `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     |`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     | `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementTrevor Wilson
|     |  `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     |   `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementTrevor Wilson
|     |    +- Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     |    `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementKeithr0
|     |`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     | `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
|     |  `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementClocky
|     |   `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
|     `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementlindsay
|      `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|       `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|        `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|         `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementComputer Nerd Kev
 `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
  +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementFred
  |`- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
  +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementComputer Nerd Kev
  |`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
  | +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementComputer Nerd Kev
  | |`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
  | | +- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
  | | `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementComputer Nerd Kev
  | |  +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
  | |  |`- Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
  | |  `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
  | +- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
  | `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementClocky
  `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementClocky
   `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
    `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
     `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementClocky
      +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementalvey
      |`- Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
      `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno

Pages:1234
Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<uopkt2$1gatu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32622&group=aus.cars#32622

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: windscreen repair or replacement
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 11:16:33 +1100
 by: Noddy - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 00:16 UTC

On 24/01/2024 8:36 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:

>>> That would be a surprise, it used to be that even courier companies
>>> wouldn't come out to where I live, although they've got more
>>> adventurous in more recent years. Almost certainly not worth paying
>>> for someone else's 1&1/2hr+ round travel time even if they are
>>> willing.
>>
>> Not sure how that make sense.
>
> They have to drive 45min+ to me and then back again from the
> nearest windscreen repair business, so I'd expect to pay for that.
> It's be cheaper for me to drive there myself without paying for
> someone else's time.
>
>> Anyway, you never mentioned where you
>> live, and unless you live 2 hours from nowhere most windscreen companies
>> will come to you and you don't pay any extra for the privilege.
>
> That's unlike most other trades then. Like I say, I'd be surprised
> because it wouldn't make business sense for them to do that much
> travel for free.

All I can advise is that you call and ask. A lot do actually do that.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<uopl0u$1gatu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32623&group=aus.cars#32623

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 11:18:38 +1100
 by: Noddy - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 00:18 UTC

On 24/01/2024 10:57 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 24/1/2024 8:36 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

>> That's unlike most other trades then. Like I say, I'd be surprised
>> because it wouldn't make business sense for them to do that much
>> travel for free.
>>
> Depends on how many jobs they may do in your area, if they were able to
> book 3 or more jobs on the same day in your area then the travel isn't a
> problem.
> I've never been charged travel time by mobile windscreen repairers
> despite living about 45km from Melb CBD and they weren't based locally.
> Very likely there is sufficient profit margin built into their prices
> that they don't need to charge for travel.

Same here. I've had a few come out to my place and none of them were
local, and they don't charge for it. One bloke had to drive to Brooklyn
to pick up the screen as he couldn't get it from his regular supplier
and then come here to fit it, and he never charged any extra for that.

Call and ask.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<uoploe$1ger0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32624&group=aus.cars#32624

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 08:30:32 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 00:30 UTC

On 23/01/2024 5:49 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> I presume you took that up with the glass people and got them to repair
>>> the damage?
>>
>> Nah, I couldn't face the hassle. Any decent repair would have
>> needed taking the car into a bigger town than the mechanic's where
>> they sub-contracted a mobile windscreen fitter to do the work, so
>> that would have been more hassle for me on top of potentially
>> arguing about what constitutes an adequate repair and who I should
>> talk to.
>
> An "adequate repair" is anything that doesn't result in damage to your car.

Unlike the one lap special you built and fucked up at great cost to the
owner:-)

Is your sons heap of shit still running or has that shat the mat already
too?

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l1b5avF7rgiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32625&group=aus.cars#32625

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 11:52:47 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 00:52 UTC

alvey wrote:
> Clocky wrote:

>>> https://auslink.info/pics/noddy_tyre.jpg
>>>

>> Ah yes, so many I forgot about that old classic. He then blamed the
>> tyre place for ruining the tyre.
>>
>> Oh how we laughed at the idiot.
>
> There's plenty more 'classic cockups' from the Fraudster. Like...
>
> * The only way to compare the price of cars across time is by sticker
> price.
>
> * The fastest way of stopping a car in some conditions is by locking
> up the wheels.
>
> * AWD makes no difference to a cars handling.
>
> * The cheapest method of buying a new car is on a 0-low interest loan.
>
> * Homogenised milk was introduced to stop people dying from drinking
> untreated milk
>
> * Kayo sport is much better than Fox Sports.
>
> * In a newsgroup, if you direct a question to a specific person then
> only that person is allowed to reply.
>
> * Financial planners charge 4% of... errr... something
>
> And that's just otto, there's sooo many more. So it's a serious laugh
> when poor old Fraudster brays that someone is an idiot/moron/cretin.

so many. and it's a laugh too when he can't remember if he had diabetes
or not, but rubbishes others about their memory. but apparently his
memory is capable of creating memories too. like remembering that his
father served in the Army in Korea, despite there being no record of
such. much akin to his remembering training in three apprenticeships,
and working as a qualified mechanic, of which no records exist either.

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l1bfhdF9lh1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32626&group=aus.cars#32626

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:46:53 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 03:46 UTC

On 23/1/2024 9:31 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 23/01/2024 8:50 am, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Mighty Mouse wrote:

>>> and how the Bacchus Marsh tyre repairers laughed when he brought in a
>>> tractor tyre with a huge hole in it for repair
>>
>> https://auslink.info/pics/noddy_tyre.jpg
>>

> Ah yes, so many I forgot about that old classic. He then blamed the tyre
> place for ruining the tyre.
>
> Oh how we laughed at the idiot.

Recall how he scoffed at my mention of *effective compression ratio*?
Raved on about how the static compression ratio (SCR) was real and the
effective compression ratio (ECR) was just theoretical. Turns out, the
opposite is true - the SCR is theoretical, just a ratio of volumes,
whilst the ECR reflects real world engine aspiration conditions, most
notably *volumetric efficiency* (VE).

For instance, if you have an engine with a SCR of 10:1 and a VE of 85%,
the ECR is actually 8.5:1. That's because VE is a measure of how much
air is actually able to be crammed into the cylinder and then compressed
compared to the theoretical measured volume and SCR. Note, ECR is also
termed dynamic compression ratio.

The VE, therefore the ECR, can be varied by *valve timing* and, by
engines with VVT, dynamically so. Darren also scoffed at that concept.
Sadly, that lack of understanding is what happens when you skip school
and fail to get a decent education and proper training.

The real kicker here is which group uses the term "ECR" most? That group
would be those involved in drag racing with supercharged engines. Here's
a chart that shows how boost pressure *directly affects* the compression
ratio and shows clearly why the ECR is much more meaningful than SCR.

https://www.superchargerforums.com/attachments/upload_2016-8-29_14-43-21-png.2603/

Using our 10:1 SCR above, you can clearly see that a 10:1 SCR on the
chart will give an ECR with 15 psi boost of 20:1. Hell, that's getting
right up there with the SCR of diesel engines and you don't need the
spark plugs to ignite the mix on those. Just think what that means in
terms of detonation and the grade of fuel required. The notation at the
bottom of the chart is very telling. If you want to run pump petrol with
a 15 psi boost pressure, you need to keep the *ECR* below about 12:1
which, in turn, means you need to keep the *SCR* below about 6:1.

Yet Darren scoffs at my use of the term, ECR??? It is a *critical term*
when you're involved in building supercharged engines. That tells me he
has *never* been involved in the building of supercharged engines for
drag racing as such a term is *fundamental* when making the necessary
calculations prior to the build. You can fool some of the people some of
the time ...

Oh how we laughed!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<lDxBN.120064$STLe.95159@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32829&group=aus.cars#32829

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 12:41:35 +1100
 by: lindsay - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 01:41 UTC

On 21/01/2024 8:00 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> Seems insurance is a gamble on risk, a gamble insurance co's have been
>> losing on natural disasters like the fires in Vic and NSW, and the
>> floods further north.
>
> Yeah, but that's *their* problem. They gamble on the risk as you say,
> but these days they use the average punter to write off the loss.

Yep. Fuck 'em. And their shareholders.

>> Oh well, when I get back, I'll ring AMMI and get the screen sorted,
>> and then find other insurance elsewhere.
>
> I can recommend Shannons as being decent to deal with, but *Jesus* are
> they expensive.

Pretty sure Shannons wouldnt insure me because i didnt "have a passion"
for cars... may have been the Navara, but i'm pretty sure it was the
Ranger... anyway running out of time, so i selected GIO, APIA and RACV.

All agreed value ($60k) All with one extra driver all with $950 excess
or close enough. All with windscreen.

RACV wanted me to ring 'em because it's registered to a business.Bye!

APIA wanted $1205

GIO wanted $1167

GIO gets the readies!

2021 GIO wanted $1200 as a new car, price increased to $1500 in 2022. So
i swapped to AMMI for $1350. They've jacked it up to $1724 now, yet now
GIO is nearly $600 cheaper. I've no loyalty for insurance co's, so I'll
keep swapping to whoever has the cheapest deal.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<ur7eho$3s4g8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32838&group=aus.cars#32838

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 23:26:31 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 12:26 UTC

On 22/02/2024 12:41 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 21/01/2024 8:00 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> I can recommend Shannons as being decent to deal with, but *Jesus* are
>> they expensive.
>
> Pretty sure Shannons wouldnt insure me because i didnt "have a passion"
> for cars... may have been the Navara, but i'm pretty sure it was the
> Ranger... anyway running out of time, so i selected GIO, APIA and RACV.
>
> All agreed value ($60k)  All with one extra driver all with $950 excess
> or close enough. All with windscreen.
>
> RACV wanted me to ring 'em because it's registered to a business.Bye!
>
> APIA wanted $1205
>
> GIO wanted $1167
>
> GIO gets the readies!
>
> 2021 GIO wanted $1200 as a new car, price increased to $1500 in 2022. So
> i swapped to AMMI for $1350. They've jacked it up to $1724 now, yet now
> GIO is nearly $600 cheaper. I've no loyalty for insurance co's, so I'll
> keep swapping to whoever has the cheapest deal.

Fucking hell. I can't wait until I get my next renewal in May. Not.

At the moment I'm paying 1015 bucks a year for insurance on the Ranger
with Shannons with a 650 buck excess and a free yearly glass claim. I
thought that was expensive until I looked around, but it's actually
cheaper than most including some of the "over 50's" or limited km's
specialists.

I don't expect that will last though, as they're all whacking up their
premiums as you've discovered. Mine will probably go through the roof.

Cunts.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l3q6raFl6dqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32839&group=aus.cars#32839

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 11:23:06 +1100
 by: Daryl - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 00:23 UTC

On 22/2/2024 11:26 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 22/02/2024 12:41 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> On 21/01/2024 8:00 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> I can recommend Shannons as being decent to deal with, but *Jesus*
>>> are they expensive.
>>
>> Pretty sure Shannons wouldnt insure me because i didnt "have a
>> passion" for cars... may have been the Navara, but i'm pretty sure it
>> was the Ranger... anyway running out of time, so i selected GIO, APIA
>> and RACV.
>>
>> All agreed value ($60k)  All with one extra driver all with $950
>> excess or close enough. All with windscreen.
>>
>> RACV wanted me to ring 'em because it's registered to a business.Bye!
>>
>> APIA wanted $1205
>>
>> GIO wanted $1167
>>
>> GIO gets the readies!
>>
>> 2021 GIO wanted $1200 as a new car, price increased to $1500 in 2022.
>> So i swapped to AMMI for $1350. They've jacked it up to $1724 now, yet
>> now GIO is nearly $600 cheaper. I've no loyalty for insurance co's, so
>> I'll keep swapping to whoever has the cheapest deal.
>
> Fucking hell. I can't wait until I get my next renewal in May. Not.
>
> At the moment I'm paying 1015 bucks a year for insurance on the Ranger
> with Shannons with a 650 buck excess and a free yearly glass claim. I
> thought that was expensive until I looked around, but it's actually
> cheaper than most including some of the "over 50's" or limited km's
> specialists.
>
> I don't expect that will last though, as they're all whacking up their
> premiums as you've discovered. Mine will probably go through the roof.
>
> Cunts.

You pay GST and stamp duty as a percentage of the premium so every time
the base premium goes up the Govt gets their slice of pie.
Out of a total $707.10PA for my Merc the govt takes $135.00.

--
Daryl

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<ur97lk$bsj9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32840&group=aus.cars#32840

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:41:24 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 04:41 UTC

On 23/02/2024 11:23 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 22/2/2024 11:26 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> I don't expect that will last though, as they're all whacking up their
>> premiums as you've discovered. Mine will probably go through the roof.
>>
>> Cunts.
>>

> You pay GST and stamp duty as a percentage of the premium so every time
> the base premium goes up the Govt gets their slice of pie.
> Out of a total $707.10PA for my Merc the govt takes $135.00.

Yep, and paying tax on the tax is just treating you with utter contempt.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l3skspF37hnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32841&group=aus.cars#32841

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:35:05 +1100
 by: Daryl - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 22:35 UTC

On 23/2/2024 3:41 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 23/02/2024 11:23 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 22/2/2024 11:26 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> I don't expect that will last though, as they're all whacking up
>>> their premiums as you've discovered. Mine will probably go through
>>> the roof.
>>>
>>> Cunts.
>>>

>> You pay GST and stamp duty as a percentage of the premium so every
>> time the base premium goes up the Govt gets their slice of pie.
>> Out of a total $707.10PA for my Merc the govt takes $135.00.
>
> Yep, and paying tax on the tax is just treating you with utter contempt.

Typical Govt tax scam, like GST on top of fuel excise but it doesn't
seem like we can do much about it when neither side of politics are
likely to change it.

--
Daryl