Warp 7 -- It's a law we can live with.

aus+uk / aus.cars / windscreen repair or replacement

SubjectAuthor
* windscreen repair or replacementlindsay
+- Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
+* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|`- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
+* Re: windscreen repair or replacementClocky
|`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
| `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
|  `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
|   `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
|    `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
|     `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
|      +- Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
|      `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementClocky
|       `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
+* Re: windscreen repair or replacementTrevor Wilson
|`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
| `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementTrevor Wilson
|  `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|   +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementTrevor Wilson
|   |`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|   | `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementClocky
|   `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementlindsay
|    +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
|    |`- Re: windscreen repair or replacementalvey
|    `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     |`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     | `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     |  `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     |   `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     |    `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     |     +- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
|     |     `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     |      `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     |       `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementTrevor Wilson
|     |+* Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
|     ||`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementKeithr0
|     || `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     |+* Re: windscreen repair or replacementKeithr0
|     ||`- Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
|     |+* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     ||+- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
|     ||`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     || `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     ||  `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     ||   `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     |`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     | `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementTrevor Wilson
|     |  `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     |   `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementTrevor Wilson
|     |    +- Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|     |    `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementKeithr0
|     |`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|     | `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
|     |  `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementClocky
|     |   `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
|     `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementlindsay
|      `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|       `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
|        `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
|         `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementComputer Nerd Kev
 `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
  +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementFred
  |`- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
  +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementComputer Nerd Kev
  |`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
  | +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementComputer Nerd Kev
  | |`* Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
  | | +- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
  | | `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementComputer Nerd Kev
  | |  +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementDaryl
  | |  |`- Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
  | |  `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementNoddy
  | +- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno
  | `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementClocky
  `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementClocky
   `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
    `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
     `* Re: windscreen repair or replacementClocky
      +* Re: windscreen repair or replacementalvey
      |`- Re: windscreen repair or replacementMighty Mouse
      `- Re: windscreen repair or replacementXeno

Pages:1234
windscreen repair or replacement

<KznpN.229545$xHn7.7988@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32407&group=aus.cars#32407

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Subject: windscreen repair or replacement
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:25:58 +1100
 by: lindsay - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 04:25 UTC

All:

my windscreen has had a couple of small stone chips, and as I was
sitting in the pax seat, I noticed one on the pax side has developed
into a crack about 1 centimetre long. I have glass cover with my
insurance, so whats the process? Ring them and follow their
instructions? I'd like Ford to do in on it's next service, but I presume
they just get Windscreens O'brien in, and then charge double whatever
their invoice is.

Just want to make sure everything is properly calibrated 'n all...

cheers.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l0mgsaF1h1iU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32413&group=aus.cars#32413

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: windscreen repair or replacement
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 16:00:57 +1100
 by: Daryl - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 05:00 UTC

On 16/1/2024 3:25 pm, lindsay wrote:
> All:
>
> my windscreen has had a couple of small stone chips, and as I was
> sitting in the pax seat, I noticed one on the pax side has developed
> into a crack about 1 centimetre long. I have glass cover with my
> insurance, so whats the process? Ring them and follow their
> instructions? I'd like Ford to do in on it's next service, but I presume
> they just get Windscreens O'brien in, and then charge double whatever
> their invoice is.
>
> Just want to make sure everything is properly calibrated 'n all...

Best to deal with it asap if it isn't already too late since you noticed
a crack.
Best to call your insurance co and see what they say, the dealer is very
likely to just call a windscreen "expert", unlikely that they would fix
it themselves.

--
Daryl

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<uo54ch$1agms$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32415&group=aus.cars#32415

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 16:32:01 +1100
 by: Noddy - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 05:32 UTC

On 16/01/2024 3:25 pm, lindsay wrote:
> All:
>
> my windscreen has had a couple of small stone chips, and as I was
> sitting in the pax seat, I noticed one on the pax side has developed
> into a crack about 1 centimetre long. I have glass cover with my
> insurance, so whats the process? Ring them and follow their
> instructions? I'd like Ford to do in on it's next service, but I presume
> they just get Windscreens O'brien in, and then charge double whatever
> their invoice is.
>
> Just want to make sure everything is properly calibrated 'n all...

Had the windscreen replaced in our Santa Fe a couple of months ago after
a truck kicked up a rock on the Western Highway one morning while the
wife was heading into the office. Like you we have glass cover on the
insurance policy, and because the car has adaptive cruise with a radar
unit looking out the top of the screen behind the rear view mirror the
unit needs to be calibrated. Unfortunately that means the windscreen
can't be replaced "on site" as the calibration equipment isn't mobile.

I was given two options: Windscreen O'brien in Brooklyn, or National
Windscreens in Essendon which were the two closest repairers. I went to
Brooklyn (only because there were tool and welding shops next door and
it gave me a chance to drop some coin :), and it took around an hour to
do all up.

You can try calling your Ford dealer but I don't believe they carry the
necessary calibration equipment. I also don't expect that if you're
claiming it through your insurance the insurer would be keen to pick up
the dealership bill even if they did.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<uo5b39$1bde8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32430&group=aus.cars#32430

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:25:55 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 07:25 UTC

On 16/01/2024 12:25 pm, lindsay wrote:
> All:
>
> my windscreen has had a couple of small stone chips, and as I was
> sitting in the pax seat, I noticed one on the pax side has developed
> into a crack about 1 centimetre long. I have glass cover with my
> insurance, so whats the process? Ring them and follow their
> instructions? I'd like Ford to do in on it's next service, but I presume
> they just get Windscreens O'brien in, and then charge double whatever
> their invoice is.
>
> Just want to make sure everything is properly calibrated 'n all...
>
> cheers.

Contact your insurer and see what they say and follow their process.
Dealers can do the calibration as can any other shop that has a scan
tool capable of putting the system into calibration mode.

There is a slight chance that you might run into issues if your
suspension has been raised.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l0mqfaF3as3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32431&group=aus.cars#32431

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 18:44:42 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 07:44 UTC

Clocky wrote:
> On 16/01/2024 12:25 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> All:
>>
>> my windscreen has had a couple of small stone chips, and as I was
>> sitting in the pax seat, I noticed one on the pax side has developed
>> into a crack about 1 centimetre long. I have glass cover with my
>> insurance, so whats the process? Ring them and follow their
>> instructions? I'd like Ford to do in on it's next service, but I
>> presume they just get Windscreens O'brien in, and then charge double
>> whatever their invoice is.
>>
>> Just want to make sure everything is properly calibrated 'n all...
>>
>> cheers.
>

> Contact your insurer and see what they say and follow their process.
> Dealers can do the calibration as can any other shop that has a scan
> tool capable of putting the system into calibration mode.
>
> There is a slight chance that you might run into issues if your
> suspension has been raised.

what has to be calibrated for a windscreen?

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l0mtlvF3rebU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32434&group=aus.cars#32434

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 19:39:27 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:39 UTC

On 16/1/2024 4:32 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 16/01/2024 3:25 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> All:
>>
>> my windscreen has had a couple of small stone chips, and as I was
>> sitting in the pax seat, I noticed one on the pax side has developed
>> into a crack about 1 centimetre long. I have glass cover with my
>> insurance, so whats the process? Ring them and follow their
>> instructions? I'd like Ford to do in on it's next service, but I
>> presume they just get Windscreens O'brien in, and then charge double
>> whatever their invoice is.
>>
>> Just want to make sure everything is properly calibrated 'n all...
>
> Had the windscreen replaced in our Santa Fe a couple of months ago after
> a truck kicked up a rock on the Western Highway one morning while the
> wife was heading into the office. Like you we have glass cover on the
> insurance policy, and because the car has adaptive cruise with a radar
> unit looking out the top of the screen behind the rear view mirror the
> unit needs to be calibrated. Unfortunately that means the windscreen
> can't be replaced "on site" as the calibration equipment isn't mobile.
>
> I was given two options: Windscreen O'brien in Brooklyn, or National
> Windscreens in Essendon which were the two closest repairers. I went to
> Brooklyn (only because there were tool and welding shops next door and
> it gave me a chance to drop some coin :), and it took around an hour to
> do all up.
>
> You can try calling your Ford dealer but I don't believe they carry the
> necessary calibration equipment. I also don't expect that if you're

If *anyone* is likely to have the calibration equipment, it will be the
Ford Dealer.

> claiming it through your insurance the insurer would be keen to pick up
> the dealership bill even if they did.

You have every right to have that windscreen attended to by the dealer.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l0mu7oF3rebU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32437&group=aus.cars#32437

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 19:48:56 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:48 UTC

On 16/1/2024 6:44 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Clocky wrote:
>> On 16/01/2024 12:25 pm, lindsay wrote:
>>> All:
>>>
>>> my windscreen has had a couple of small stone chips, and as I was
>>> sitting in the pax seat, I noticed one on the pax side has developed
>>> into a crack about 1 centimetre long. I have glass cover with my
>>> insurance, so whats the process? Ring them and follow their
>>> instructions? I'd like Ford to do in on it's next service, but I
>>> presume they just get Windscreens O'brien in, and then charge double
>>> whatever their invoice is.
>>>
>>> Just want to make sure everything is properly calibrated 'n all...
>>>
>>> cheers.
>>

>> Contact your insurer and see what they say and follow their process.
>> Dealers can do the calibration as can any other shop that has a scan
>> tool capable of putting the system into calibration mode.
>>
>> There is a slight chance that you might run into issues if your
>> suspension has been raised.
>>

> what has to be calibrated for a windscreen?

https://www.autoglass.ie/adas-windscreen-calibration/

Windscreens ain't just windscreens no more Sol!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l0n8alF6160U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32442&group=aus.cars#32442

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 22:41:06 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:41 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 16/1/2024 6:44 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Clocky wrote:

>>> Contact your insurer and see what they say and follow their process.
>>> Dealers can do the calibration as can any other shop that has a scan
>>> tool capable of putting the system into calibration mode.
>>>
>>> There is a slight chance that you might run into issues if your
>>> suspension has been raised.
>>>

>> what has to be calibrated for a windscreen?
>>
> https://www.autoglass.ie/adas-windscreen-calibration/
>
> Windscreens ain't just windscreens no more Sol!

so it seems.! I'm glad the ZS doesn't have any of that garbage

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l0n91iF43c8U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32444&group=aus.cars#32444

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 22:53:22 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:53 UTC

On 16/1/2024 10:41 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> what has to be calibrated for a windscreen?
>>>
>> https://www.autoglass.ie/adas-windscreen-calibration/
>>
>> Windscreens ain't just windscreens no more Sol!
>>

> so it seems.! I'm glad the ZS doesn't have any of that garbage

It probably does! Most cars seem to have *some* ADAS stuff in them these
days.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l0na6pF6c3aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32445&group=aus.cars#32445

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 23:13:10 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:13 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 16/1/2024 10:41 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:

>>> https://www.autoglass.ie/adas-windscreen-calibration/
>>>
>>> Windscreens ain't just windscreens no more Sol!
>>>

>> so it seems.! I'm glad the ZS doesn't have any of that garbage
>>
> It probably does! Most cars seem to have *some* ADAS stuff in them
> these days.

I mean, I'm sure it doesn't have anything in the windscreen. and it only
has traction control, nothing else such as lane assist, auto braking, etc.,

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l0ncv0F43c8U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32446&group=aus.cars#32446

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 00:00:16 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:00 UTC

On 16/1/2024 11:13 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> so it seems.! I'm glad the ZS doesn't have any of that garbage
>>>
>> It probably does! Most cars seem to have *some* ADAS stuff in them
>> these days.
>>

> I mean, I'm sure it doesn't have anything in the windscreen. and it only
> has traction control, nothing else such as lane assist, auto braking, etc.,

Rain sensors, windscreen heaters, light sensors, heads up displays, all
can form part of ADAS systems. Got auto wipers, ie. rain sensing?

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l0nda6F6vrdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32447&group=aus.cars#32447

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 00:06:12 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:06 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 16/1/2024 11:13 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:

>>> It probably does! Most cars seem to have *some* ADAS stuff in them
>>> these days.
>>>

>> I mean, I'm sure it doesn't have anything in the windscreen. and it
>> only has traction control, nothing else such as lane assist, auto
>> braking, etc.,
>>
> Rain sensors,

no

> windscreen heaters,

no

> light sensors,

on top of the dashboard

> heads up displays,

no

> all can form part of ADAS systems. Got auto wipers, ie. rain sensing?

nope!

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<uo6u7v$1kjsb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32451&group=aus.cars#32451

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 05:58:49 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:58 UTC

On 16/01/2024 9:00 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 16/1/2024 11:13 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:

>>> It probably does! Most cars seem to have *some* ADAS stuff in them
>>> these days.
>>>

>> I mean, I'm sure it doesn't have anything in the windscreen. and it
>> only has traction control, nothing else such as lane assist, auto
>> braking, etc.,
>>
> Rain sensors, windscreen heaters, light sensors, heads up displays, all
> can form part of ADAS systems. Got auto wipers, ie. rain sensing?

Not as part of the windscreen I don't think. Those MG's seem to employ
the KISS principle which keeps cost down but no doubt also helps with
reliability.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a
proven liar."

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l0oi4jFefjvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32456&group=aus.cars#32456

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 10:34:45 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 23:34 UTC

On 16/01/2024 3:25 pm, lindsay wrote:
> All:
>
> my windscreen has had a couple of small stone chips, and as I was
> sitting in the pax seat, I noticed one on the pax side has developed
> into a crack about 1 centimetre long. I have glass cover with my
> insurance, so whats the process? Ring them and follow their
> instructions? I'd like Ford to do in on it's next service, but I presume
> they just get Windscreens O'brien in, and then charge double whatever
> their invoice is.
>
> Just want to make sure everything is properly calibrated 'n all...
>
> cheers.

**Not really anything to do with your issue, but I had a 5cm crack in my
VP Commodore windscreen. I purchased some of the stuff to fix it. The
stuff came with a clear warning not to attempt to repair a crack any
longer than 2cm. I didn't carry comprehensive insurance on the VP. I
thought: "Fuck it. I'll do it anyway. I don't want spend 400 Bucks."

The stuff worked a treat. Fixed the crack and all was good for about a
year. Then a tree fell on the Commodore.

Weirdly, I called it a win.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l0okteFf1ihU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32461&group=aus.cars#32461

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:22:02 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 00:22 UTC

Clocky wrote:
> On 16/01/2024 9:00 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> I mean, I'm sure it doesn't have anything in the windscreen. and it
>>> only has traction control, nothing else such as lane assist, auto
>>> braking, etc.,
>>>
>> Rain sensors, windscreen heaters, light sensors, heads up displays,
>> all can form part of ADAS systems. Got auto wipers, ie. rain sensing?
>>

> Not as part of the windscreen I don't think. Those MG's seem to employ
> the KISS principle which keeps cost down but no doubt also helps with
> reliability.

the ZST is the upgraded version with all the bells and whistles ..
https://mgmotor.com.au/models/mg-zst/

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<uo7l5k$1rkd4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32464&group=aus.cars#32464

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:30:44 +1100
 by: Noddy - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 04:30 UTC

On 17/01/2024 10:34 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 16/01/2024 3:25 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> All:
>>
>> my windscreen has had a couple of small stone chips, and as I was
>> sitting in the pax seat, I noticed one on the pax side has developed
>> into a crack about 1 centimetre long. I have glass cover with my
>> insurance, so whats the process? Ring them and follow their
>> instructions? I'd like Ford to do in on it's next service, but I
>> presume they just get Windscreens O'brien in, and then charge double
>> whatever their invoice is.
>>
>> Just want to make sure everything is properly calibrated 'n all...
>>
>> cheers.
>
> **Not really anything to do with your issue, but I had a 5cm crack in my
> VP Commodore windscreen. I purchased some of the stuff to fix it. The
> stuff came with a clear warning not to attempt to repair a crack any
> longer than 2cm. I didn't carry comprehensive insurance on the VP. I
> thought: "Fuck it. I'll do it anyway. I don't want spend 400 Bucks."
>
> The stuff worked a treat. Fixed the crack and all was good for about a
> year. Then a tree fell on the Commodore.
>
> Weirdly, I called it a win.

In both respects :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l0r5qbF4i5pU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32510&group=aus.cars#32510

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 10:22:51 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 23:22 UTC

On 17/01/2024 3:30 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 17/01/2024 10:34 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 16/01/2024 3:25 pm, lindsay wrote:
>>> All:
>>>
>>> my windscreen has had a couple of small stone chips, and as I was
>>> sitting in the pax seat, I noticed one on the pax side has developed
>>> into a crack about 1 centimetre long. I have glass cover with my
>>> insurance, so whats the process? Ring them and follow their
>>> instructions? I'd like Ford to do in on it's next service, but I
>>> presume they just get Windscreens O'brien in, and then charge double
>>> whatever their invoice is.
>>>
>>> Just want to make sure everything is properly calibrated 'n all...
>>>
>>> cheers.
>>
>> **Not really anything to do with your issue, but I had a 5cm crack in
>> my VP Commodore windscreen. I purchased some of the stuff to fix it.
>> The stuff came with a clear warning not to attempt to repair a crack
>> any longer than 2cm. I didn't carry comprehensive insurance on the VP.
>> I thought: "Fuck it. I'll do it anyway. I don't want spend 400 Bucks."
>>
>> The stuff worked a treat. Fixed the crack and all was good for about a
>> year. Then a tree fell on the Commodore.
>>
>> Weirdly, I called it a win.
>
> In both respects :)

**More than you could imagine. I sold the alloy wheels/tyres and towbar,
cashed in the rego and insurance. Then I sold the wreck to a guy who
just wanted the climate control, so he could fit it to his VP, which
only had regular air-con. After the dust had settled, I had about
$1,000.00 in my pocket, which I reckon was about the second hand value
of the car.

Had I spent the $400.00 on a new windscreen (which everyone told me I
should do), I would have been pissed off.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<uo9reg$28fs8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32511&group=aus.cars#32511

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 11:30:11 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 00:30 UTC

On 18/01/2024 10:22 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 17/01/2024 3:30 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Weirdly, I called it a win.
>>
>> In both respects :)
>>

> **More than you could imagine. I sold the alloy wheels/tyres and towbar,
> cashed in the rego and insurance. Then I sold the wreck to a guy who
> just wanted the climate control, so he could fit it to his VP, which
> only had regular air-con. After the dust had settled, I had about
> $1,000.00 in my pocket, which I reckon was about the second hand value
> of the car.
>
> Had I spent the $400.00 on a new windscreen (which everyone told me I
> should do), I would have been pissed off.

I would have been too. Sometimes things work out in your favour in ways
that you would least expect them to.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l0tcevFk9ikU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32526&group=aus.cars#32526

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 06:28:32 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 19:28 UTC

On 18/01/2024 11:30 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> In both respects :)
>>>

>> **More than you could imagine. I sold the alloy wheels/tyres and
>> towbar, cashed in the rego and insurance. Then I sold the wreck to a
>> guy who just wanted the climate control, so he could fit it to his VP,
>> which only had regular air-con. After the dust had settled, I had
>> about $1,000.00 in my pocket, which I reckon was about the second hand
>> value of the car.
>>
>> Had I spent the $400.00 on a new windscreen (which everyone told me I
>> should do), I would have been pissed off.
>
> I would have been too. Sometimes things work out in your favour in ways
> that you would least expect them to.

**I did engage in a little hyperbole though. It wasn't a tree that fell
on my car. It was a branch from a tree. The road I live on is a regular
two lane road, with parking on each side. So, wide enough for four
lanes. I was sitting eating my evening meal, when there was a loud crash
outside. A couple of minutes later, the doorbell rang. A neighbour came
to the front door to tell me that he thought my car was damaged. I
looked out and said "yep". Then I sat down to finish my meal. My partner
asked me if I was going to do anything about the car. I told her that
with what I estimated to be a 2 ~ 3 Tonne branch crushing the Commodore
and blocking all four lanes of the road: "Nothing." It was a fucking big
branch. It fell mostly along the length of the car, causing the roof to
cave in by around 500mm. The rest of the branch went across the road and
onto the other footpath. Eventually some guys in fluoro jackets turned
up with chainsaws and removed the branch. Took them a couple of hours.
Tree surgeon guy reckons that the cause of the tree fault was down to
the idiots who trim trees away from power lines. They did a bad job,
which allowed rot to set into the branch.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<uocfg2$2q9rn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32528&group=aus.cars#32528

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 11:24:37 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 00:24 UTC

On 19/01/2024 6:28 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 18/01/2024 11:30 am, Noddy wrote:

>> I would have been too. Sometimes things work out in your favour in
>> ways that you would least expect them to.
>>

> **I did engage in a little hyperbole though. It wasn't a tree that fell
> on my car. It was a branch from a tree. The road I live on is a regular
> two lane road, with parking on each side. So, wide enough for four
> lanes. I was sitting eating my evening meal, when there was a loud crash
> outside. A couple of minutes later, the doorbell rang. A neighbour came
> to the front door to tell me that he thought my car was damaged. I
> looked out and said "yep". Then I sat down to finish my meal. My partner
> asked me if I was going to do anything about the car. I told her that
> with what I estimated to be a 2 ~ 3 Tonne branch crushing the Commodore
> and blocking all four lanes of the road: "Nothing." It was a fucking big
> branch. It fell mostly along the length of the car, causing the roof to
> cave in by around 500mm. The rest of the branch went across the road and
> onto the other footpath. Eventually some guys in fluoro jackets turned
> up with chainsaws and removed the branch. Took them a couple of hours.
> Tree surgeon guy reckons that the cause of the tree fault was down to
> the idiots who trim trees away from power lines. They did a bad job,
> which allowed rot to set into the branch.

Sometimes you can just be unlucky.

These pics were doing the rounds in a Facebook group a little while ago:

> https://ibb.co/DwVQpds

> https://ibb.co/XVpNhhj

The back story is that this old truck was apparently parked in the
street outside the owner's house in Idaho in the US when a massive wind
storm unexpectedly blew up and made a mess of the neighbourhood
including blowing over this huge tree which destroyed the old pickup.
And as a result, the value of every other surviving 1956 Ford F-100
increased slighty due to their being one less in existence.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<uoe4dc$36lns$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32529&group=aus.cars#32529

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 23:27:03 +0800
 by: Clocky - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 15:27 UTC

On 19/01/2024 8:24 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 19/01/2024 6:28 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 18/01/2024 11:30 am, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> I would have been too. Sometimes things work out in your favour in
>>> ways that you would least expect them to.
>>>

>> **I did engage in a little hyperbole though. It wasn't a tree that
>> fell on my car. It was a branch from a tree. The road I live on is a
>> regular two lane road, with parking on each side. So, wide enough for
>> four lanes. I was sitting eating my evening meal, when there was a
>> loud crash outside. A couple of minutes later, the doorbell rang. A
>> neighbour came to the front door to tell me that he thought my car was
>> damaged. I looked out and said "yep". Then I sat down to finish my
>> meal. My partner asked me if I was going to do anything about the car.
>> I told her that with what I estimated to be a 2 ~ 3 Tonne branch
>> crushing the Commodore and blocking all four lanes of the road:
>> "Nothing." It was a fucking big branch. It fell mostly along the
>> length of the car, causing the roof to cave in by around 500mm. The
>> rest of the branch went across the road and onto the other footpath.
>> Eventually some guys in fluoro jackets turned up with chainsaws and
>> removed the branch. Took them a couple of hours. Tree surgeon guy
>> reckons that the cause of the tree fault was down to the idiots who
>> trim trees away from power lines. They did a bad job, which allowed
>> rot to set into the branch.
>
> Sometimes you can just be unlucky.
>
> These pics were doing the rounds in a Facebook group a little while ago:
>
>> https://ibb.co/DwVQpds
>
>> https://ibb.co/XVpNhhj

Mother nature doing what should have been done decades ago :-)

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a
proven liar."

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<uI3rN.152268$yEgf.81369@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32543&group=aus.cars#32543

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:28:24 +1100
 by: lindsay - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 07:28 UTC

On 18/01/2024 11:30 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> In both respects :)
>>>

>> **More than you could imagine. I sold the alloy wheels/tyres and
>> towbar, cashed in the rego and insurance. Then I sold the wreck to a
>> guy who just wanted the climate control, so he could fit it to his VP,
>> which only had regular air-con. After the dust had settled, I had
>> about $1,000.00 in my pocket, which I reckon was about the second hand
>> value of the car.
>>
>> Had I spent the $400.00 on a new windscreen (which everyone told me I
>> should do), I would have been pissed off.
>
> I would have been too. Sometimes things work out in your favour in ways
> that you would least expect them to.

firm believer of that... i was going to ring AMMI and follow their
instructions to do the windscreen one way or the other. Got a bit on...
going up the block for the Aus day weekend with the boys, but i'll be
there for 10 days.

I received my insurance bill from AMMI which expires late February.
And it's increased $350, whilst dropping the agreed value to $54,000.

Seems insurance is a gamble on risk, a gamble insurance co's have been
losing on natural disasters like the fires in Vic and NSW, and the
floods further north.

Oh well, when I get back, I'll ring AMMI and get the screen sorted, and
then find other insurance elsewhere.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l1427lFseipU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32544&group=aus.cars#32544

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 19:16:52 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 08:16 UTC

lindsay wrote:
> On 18/01/2024 11:30 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> **More than you could imagine. I sold the alloy wheels/tyres and
>>> towbar, cashed in the rego and insurance. Then I sold the wreck to a
>>> guy who just wanted the climate control, so he could fit it to his
>>> VP, which only had regular air-con. After the dust had settled, I
>>> had about $1,000.00 in my pocket, which I reckon was about the
>>> second hand value of the car.
>>>
>>> Had I spent the $400.00 on a new windscreen (which everyone told me
>>> I should do), I would have been pissed off.
>>
>> I would have been too. Sometimes things work out in your favour in
>> ways that you would least expect them to.
>
> firm believer of that... i was going to ring AMMI and follow their
> instructions to do the windscreen one way or the other. Got a bit
> on... going up the block for the Aus day weekend with the boys, but
> i'll be there for 10 days.
>
> I received my insurance bill from AMMI which expires late February.
> And it's increased $350, whilst dropping the agreed value to $54,000.
>
> Seems insurance is a gamble on risk, a gamble insurance co's have been
> losing on natural disasters like the fires in Vic and NSW, and the
> floods further north.
>
> Oh well, when I get back, I'll ring AMMI and get the screen sorted,
> and then find other insurance elsewhere.

I'm guessing you're over 50, so you can insure with APIA. they have the
cheapest rates.

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<uoimg6$43qc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32545&group=aus.cars#32545

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 20:00:54 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 09:00 UTC

On 21/01/2024 6:28 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 18/01/2024 11:30 am, Noddy wrote:
>> On 18/01/2024 10:22 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> Had I spent the $400.00 on a new windscreen (which everyone told me I
>>> should do), I would have been pissed off.
>>
>> I would have been too. Sometimes things work out in your favour in
>> ways that you would least expect them to.
>
> firm believer of that... i was going to ring AMMI and follow their
> instructions to do the windscreen one way or the other. Got a bit on...
> going up the block for the Aus day weekend with the boys, but i'll be
> there for 10 days.
>
> I received my insurance bill from AMMI which expires late February.
> And it's increased $350, whilst dropping the agreed value to $54,000.

Fucking hell. All insurers have been bumping their premiums over the
last couple of years, but 350 bucks in one go is massive. I'd be looking
around.

> Seems insurance is a gamble on risk, a gamble insurance co's have been
> losing on natural disasters like the fires in Vic and NSW, and the
> floods further north.

Yeah, but that's *their* problem. They gamble on the risk as you say,
but these days they use the average punter to write off the loss.

> Oh well, when I get back, I'll ring AMMI and get the screen sorted, and
> then find other insurance elsewhere.

I can recommend Shannons as being decent to deal with, but *Jesus* are
they expensive.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: windscreen repair or replacement

<l146mfFt4c4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32547&group=aus.cars#32547

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 20:33:03 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 09:33 UTC

On 21/1/2024 8:00 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 21/01/2024 6:28 pm, lindsay wrote:

>>> I would have been too. Sometimes things work out in your favour in
>>> ways that you would least expect them to.
>>
>> firm believer of that... i was going to ring AMMI and follow their
>> instructions to do the windscreen one way or the other. Got a bit
>> on... going up the block for the Aus day weekend with the boys, but
>> i'll be there for 10 days.
>>
>> I received my insurance bill from AMMI which expires late February.
>> And it's increased $350, whilst dropping the agreed value to $54,000.
>
> Fucking hell. All insurers have been bumping their premiums over the
> last couple of years, but 350 bucks in one go is massive. I'd be looking
> around.
>
>> Seems insurance is a gamble on risk, a gamble insurance co's have been
>> losing on natural disasters like the fires in Vic and NSW, and the
>> floods further north.
>
> Yeah, but that's *their* problem. They gamble on the risk as you say,
> but these days they use the average punter to write off the loss.
>
>> Oh well, when I get back, I'll ring AMMI and get the screen sorted,
>> and then find other insurance elsewhere.
>
> I can recommend Shannons as being decent to deal with, but *Jesus* are
> they expensive.

Certainly not cheap but we found out recently that they give pretty good
discounts if you own lots of cars, Les has all the cars and trailers
insured with Shannons including theft on the race cars, after he got the
cheap Falcon ute he rang them to insure it and they added it to his
policy and sent him a refund simply because he had so many vehicles insured.
Shannons was also the only insurer that I can find that offers a real
agreed value, several others I spoke to when I bought the Boxster said
that had "agreed value" but the numbers they quoted was $10k less than
what the car is really worth.

--
Daryl