A man's gotta know his limitations. -- Clint Eastwood, "Dirty Harry"

aus+uk / aus.cars / OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsNoddy
+* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsalvey
|+* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsOzix
||+- Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsDaryl
||`* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsKeithr0
|| `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsNoddy
||  `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsKeithr0
||   `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsNoddy
||    `- Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsXeno
|`* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsMighty Mouse
| `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsKeithr0
|  `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsMighty Mouse
|   `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsKeithr0
|    +* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsMighty Mouse
|    |`* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsKeithr0
|    | +- Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsMighty Mouse
|    | `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsTrevor Wilson
|    |  `- Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsXeno
|    `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsTrevor Wilson
|     `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsMighty Mouse
|      `- Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsTrevor Wilson
`* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsTrevor Wilson
 +- Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsTrevor Wilson
 +* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsKeithr0
 |`- Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsTrevor Wilson
 +- Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsalvey
 `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsNoddy
  +* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsTrevor Wilson
  |`* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsNoddy
  | `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsTrevor Wilson
  |  +* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsNoddy
  |  |`* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsTrevor Wilson
  |  | `- Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsNoddy
  |  `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsMighty Mouse
  |   `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsTrevor Wilson
  |    +* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationslindsay
  |    |`* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsMighty Mouse
  |    | +- Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsMighty Mouse
  |    | `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationslindsay
  |    |  `- Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsMighty Mouse
  |    `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsMaximus
  |     `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsKeithr0
  |      `- Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsMighty Mouse
  `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationslindsay
   `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsNoddy
    `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationslindsay
     `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsNoddy
      `* Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationslindsay
       `- Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendationsNoddy

Pages:12
OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<uqmp21$3nfh9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32775&group=aus.cars#32775

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 15:41:35 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 04:41 UTC

Hey Trev. Could use your help if you feel like offering it.

My kid's birthday is coming up in a couple of months and he'd like a new
stereo. He got a big kick out of his old Garrand 3500 based stereo that
I talked about here some time ago, but it's started to be a bit
unreliable and he'd love something a bit better. He basically just wants
a turntable as he loves vinyl and has no interest in CD's or tapes, and
with that in mind I have 2 questions for you.

Firstly, is there anything new on the market today that you would
recommend? I'm not looking for high end stuff, but don't want cheap
rubbish either. I'm not fussed about brands and I dare say neither is
he. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. Just want something that
sounds reasonable. If you had any recommendations of a system that could
be put together on a budget of a thousand bucks I'd be all ears.

Secondly, if you don't think new stuff in that price range today is
worth owning, could you recommend any second hand stuff to look out for?
I see the odd 70's or 80's vintage Marantz, Pioneer or Yamaha hifi
systems come up on Marketplace occasionally, and wondered if something
of that nature (or anything else you could recommend) would be a better
bet instead?

Appreciate any and all advice you may be able to offer.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<uqp5pk$469n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32776&group=aus.cars#32776

From: Hans.Andnees@gmail.com (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 12:31:13 +1000
 by: alvey - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 02:31 UTC

Noddy wrote:
> Hey Trev. Could use your help if you feel like offering it.
>
> My kid's birthday is coming up in a couple of months and he'd like a new
> stereo. He got a big kick out of his old Garrand 3500 based stereo that
> I talked about here some time ago, but it's started to be a bit
> unreliable and he'd love something a bit better. He basically just wants
> a turntable as he loves vinyl and has no interest in CD's or tapes, and
> with that in mind I have 2 questions for you.
>
> Firstly, is there anything new on the market today that you would
> recommend? I'm not looking for high end stuff, but don't want cheap
> rubbish either. I'm not fussed about brands and I dare say neither is
> he. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. Just want something that
> sounds reasonable. If you had any recommendations of a system that could
> be put together on a budget of a thousand bucks I'd be all ears.
>
> Secondly, if you don't think new stuff in that price range today is
> worth owning, could you recommend any second hand stuff to look out for?
> I see the odd 70's or 80's vintage Marantz, Pioneer or Yamaha hifi
> systems come up on Marketplace occasionally, and wondered if something
> of that nature (or anything else you could recommend) would be a better
> bet instead?
>
> Appreciate any and all advice you may be able to offer.

For the kid hey Fraudster? Sure it is. I believe you. Honest.

alvey
And what teenage boy *wouldn't* want an old, 2nd hand music player that
takes up half a room and produces seriously shithouse sound for his
birthday?

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<65d024f1$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32777&group=aus.cars#32777

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: ozix@xizo.am (Ozix)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 11:16:01 +0800
 by: Ozix - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 03:16 UTC

alvey wrote:

> alvey
> And what teenage boy *wouldn't* want an old, 2nd hand music player that
> takes up half a room and produces seriously shithouse sound for his
> birthday?

My niece is into vinyl. She loves 70s music: T.Rex, Ramones, Daddy Cool
et cetera.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<l3be6kF811U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32779&group=aus.cars#32779

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 20:56:33 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 09:56 UTC

alvey wrote:
> Noddy wrote:
>> Hey Trev. Could use your help if you feel like offering it.
>>
>> My kid's birthday is coming up in a couple of months and he'd like a
>> new stereo. He got a big kick out of his old Garrand 3500 based
>> stereo that I talked about here some time ago, but it's started to be
>> a bit unreliable and he'd love something a bit better. He basically
>> just wants a turntable as he loves vinyl and has no interest in CD's
>> or tapes, and with that in mind I have 2 questions for you.
>>
>> Firstly, is there anything new on the market today that you would
>> recommend? I'm not looking for high end stuff, but don't want cheap
>> rubbish either. I'm not fussed about brands and I dare say neither is
>> he. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. Just want something
>> that sounds reasonable. If you had any recommendations of a system
>> that could be put together on a budget of a thousand bucks I'd be all
>> ears.
>>
>> Secondly, if you don't think new stuff in that price range today is
>> worth owning, could you recommend any second hand stuff to look out
>> for? I see the odd 70's or 80's vintage Marantz, Pioneer or Yamaha
>> hifi systems come up on Marketplace occasionally, and wondered if
>> something of that nature (or anything else you could recommend) would
>> be a better bet instead?
>>
>> Appreciate any and all advice you may be able to offer.
>
> For the kid hey Fraudster? Sure it is. I believe you. Honest.

not a good idea buying 40 or 50 year old electronic equipment, lol. but
his budget is too low for a decent HiFi sound system new.

> alvey
> And what teenage boy *wouldn't* want an old, 2nd hand music player
> that takes up half a room and produces seriously shithouse sound for
> his birthday?

I have Kef Concerto main speakers for the TV surround sound system,
paired with a B&W centre and JBL rears. sounds good!

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<l3ci6gF6bgvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32780&group=aus.cars#32780

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 07:10:55 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 20:10 UTC

On 17/2/2024 2:16 pm, Ozix wrote:
> alvey wrote:
>>

>> alvey
>> And what teenage boy *wouldn't* want an old, 2nd hand music player
>> that takes up half a room and produces seriously shithouse sound for
>> his birthday?
>>

> My niece is into vinyl. She loves 70s music: T.Rex, Ramones, Daddy Cool
> et cetera.

Its popularity has increased, I've seen turntables advertised on TV
recently.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<l3cs6uF7gsuU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32782&group=aus.cars#32782

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 09:01:51 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 23:01 UTC

On 17/02/2024 1:16 pm, Ozix wrote:
> alvey wrote:
>>

>> alvey
>> And what teenage boy *wouldn't* want an old, 2nd hand music player
>> that takes up half a room and produces seriously shithouse sound for
>> his birthday?

Get with the program granddad, all the cool kids are into vinyl these days.

> My niece is into vinyl. She loves 70s music: T.Rex, Ramones, Daddy Cool
> et cetera.

One of my grandsons has a large collection of Queen stuff - on vinyl. He
is willing to spend real money on rare items, his brother is into vinyl
too but prefers Slipknot.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<uqs2e4$stov$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32785&group=aus.cars#32785

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:52:19 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 04:52 UTC

On 18/02/2024 10:01 am, Keithr0 wrote:

> One of my grandsons has a large collection of Queen stuff - on vinyl. He
> is willing to spend real money on rare items, his brother is into vinyl
> too but prefers Slipknot.

My kid is into 60's & 70's pop/rock. Beatles, Stones, Credence, Pink
Floyd, and the Doors. Particularly The Doors. He loves vinyl as there's
something about it he finds intriguing, and he decorates his bedroom
walls with the album covers.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<l3ds05Fd4htU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32786&group=aus.cars#32786

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:04:21 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 08:04 UTC

On 17/02/2024 7:56 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> alvey wrote:
>> Noddy wrote:
>>> Hey Trev. Could use your help if you feel like offering it.
>>>
>>> My kid's birthday is coming up in a couple of months and he'd like a
>>> new stereo. He got a big kick out of his old Garrand 3500 based
>>> stereo that I talked about here some time ago, but it's started to be
>>> a bit unreliable and he'd love something a bit better. He basically
>>> just wants a turntable as he loves vinyl and has no interest in CD's
>>> or tapes, and with that in mind I have 2 questions for you.
>>>
>>> Firstly, is there anything new on the market today that you would
>>> recommend? I'm not looking for high end stuff, but don't want cheap
>>> rubbish either. I'm not fussed about brands and I dare say neither is
>>> he. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. Just want something
>>> that sounds reasonable. If you had any recommendations of a system
>>> that could be put together on a budget of a thousand bucks I'd be all
>>> ears.
>>>
>>> Secondly, if you don't think new stuff in that price range today is
>>> worth owning, could you recommend any second hand stuff to look out
>>> for? I see the odd 70's or 80's vintage Marantz, Pioneer or Yamaha
>>> hifi systems come up on Marketplace occasionally, and wondered if
>>> something of that nature (or anything else you could recommend) would
>>> be a better bet instead?
>>>
>>> Appreciate any and all advice you may be able to offer.
>>
>> For the kid hey Fraudster? Sure it is. I believe you. Honest.
>
> not a good idea buying 40 or 50 year old electronic equipment, lol. but
> his budget is too low for a decent HiFi sound system new.

The electrolytic capacitors would be suspect, but the rest should be OK
if it has been kept in a reasonable environment, and not abused.

>> alvey
>> And what teenage boy *wouldn't* want an old, 2nd hand music player
>> that takes up half a room and produces seriously shithouse sound for
>> his birthday?
>>

> I have Kef Concerto main speakers for the TV surround sound system,
> paired with a B&W centre and JBL rears. sounds good!

I've a pair of halfway decent speakers that I bought in 1988, even
though we've moved house 7 times since then, they still sound just fine.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<l3ds5qFd4htU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32787&group=aus.cars#32787

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:07:23 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 08:07 UTC

On 18/02/2024 2:52 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/02/2024 10:01 am, Keithr0 wrote:
>
>> One of my grandsons has a large collection of Queen stuff - on vinyl.
>> He is willing to spend real money on rare items, his brother is into
>> vinyl too but prefers Slipknot.
>
> My kid is into 60's & 70's pop/rock. Beatles, Stones, Credence, Pink
> Floyd, and the Doors. Particularly The Doors. He loves vinyl as there's
> something about it he finds intriguing, and he decorates his bedroom
> walls with the album covers.

I met the bass player from the Doors once in a pub on the south coast of
Ireland. He was living in a small village there at the time (about 20
years ago).

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<uqsg6d$v7ni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32788&group=aus.cars#32788

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 19:47:09 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 08:47 UTC

On 18/02/2024 7:07 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 18/02/2024 2:52 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 18/02/2024 10:01 am, Keithr0 wrote:
>>
>>> One of my grandsons has a large collection of Queen stuff - on vinyl.
>>> He is willing to spend real money on rare items, his brother is into
>>> vinyl too but prefers Slipknot.
>>
>> My kid is into 60's & 70's pop/rock. Beatles, Stones, Credence, Pink
>> Floyd, and the Doors. Particularly The Doors. He loves vinyl as
>> there's something about it he finds intriguing, and he decorates his
>> bedroom walls with the album covers.
>>
> I met the bass player from the Doors once in a pub on the south coast of
> Ireland. He was living in a small village there at the time (about 20
> years ago).

Yeah, I don't think you did.

The Doors were one of the few groups who never actually had a bass
player. The majority of their bass lines were played on an electric
keyboard bass by their keyboard player Ray Manzarek who as far as I'm
aware never lived in Ireland. Whatever bass parts he didn't play were
performed by a session musician in the studio.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<l3ec3mFfp3gU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32790&group=aus.cars#32790

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: 18 Feb 2024 12:39:19 GMT
 by: Xeno - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:39 UTC

Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:
> On 18/02/2024 7:07 pm, Keithr0 wrote:

>>> My kid is into 60's & 70's pop/rock. Beatles, Stones, Credence, Pink
>>> Floyd, and the Doors. Particularly The Doors. He loves vinyl as
>>> there's something about it he finds intriguing, and he decorates his
>>> bedroom walls with the album covers.
>>>
>> I met the bass player from the Doors once in a pub on the south coast of
>> Ireland. He was living in a small village there at the time (about 20
>> years ago).
>
> Yeah, I don't think you did.
>
> The Doors were one of the few groups who never actually had a bass
> player. The majority of their bass lines were played on an electric
> keyboard bass by their keyboard player Ray Manzarek who as far as I'm
> aware never lived in Ireland. Whatever bass parts he didn't play were
> performed by a session musician in the studio.

A bullshit artist exposing another’s bullshit tale, incredible!

____
Xeno

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<l3f9sdFkcmaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32791&group=aus.cars#32791

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 08:07:25 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 21:07 UTC

On 16/02/2024 3:41 pm, Noddy wrote:
> Hey Trev. Could use your help if you feel like offering it.
>
> My kid's birthday is coming up in a couple of months and he'd like a new
> stereo. He got a big kick out of his old Garrand 3500 based stereo that
> I talked about here some time ago, but it's started to be a bit
> unreliable and he'd love something a bit better. He basically just wants
> a turntable as he loves vinyl and has no interest in CD's or tapes, and
> with that in mind I have 2 questions for you.
>
> Firstly, is there anything new on the market today that you would
> recommend? I'm not looking for high end stuff, but don't want cheap
> rubbish either. I'm not fussed about brands and I dare say neither is
> he. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. Just want something that
> sounds reasonable. If you had any recommendations of a system that could
> be put together on a budget of a thousand bucks I'd be all ears.
>
> Secondly, if you don't think new stuff in that price range today is
> worth owning, could you recommend any second hand stuff to look out for?
> I see the odd 70's or 80's vintage Marantz, Pioneer or Yamaha hifi
> systems come up on Marketplace occasionally, and wondered if something
> of that nature (or anything else you could recommend) would be a better
> bet instead?
>
> Appreciate any and all advice you may be able to offer.

**There is nothing available, new, for less than around $500.00 that is
worth bothering with. JB Hi Fi specialise is selling utter rubbish.

Which leaves with, IMO, the best value for money, quality second hand
stuff. Obviously, that presents it's own risks, but turntables are
generally operated under a very low stress environment and most can be
expected to last many decades.

Personally, the two brands I like most are Denon (Japan) and Dual
(Germany). Dual is difficult, as the company no longer exists and there
are aspect of some models that can make repair impossible. For instance:

The original Dual 505 was a fine turntable, but fitted with a
diabolically bad headshell. However, the Dual 505-2, 3, 4 addressed that
problem quite effectively. The 505 was a belt drive unit and drive belts
are easily available, but the speed control belt is not. Dual also made
a number of direct drive units and they are generally pretty decent. I
would caution again the much older, rim drive Duals, as the idler can be
very difficult to find. Motors are easy to rebuild. That said, the
mechanisms are complicated (they're full auto) and are of such an age
that a full strip down and re-lube will be required. OTOH, the 505 (and
others in that range) are semi-auto and far simpler to sort out.

Denon make all direct drive units. I like them. A lot. I presently have
11 of the suckers. I buy them in from Japan, tart them up a bit and
re-sell. The downside is that they need a 230VAC - 110VAC step-down
transformer (about $35.00) to work in Oz. The motors in Denons are works
of art. Smooth as butter and they last forever. They come in manual,
semi-auto and full auto. Because they're mechanisms are simpler than
most, even their full auto models are a good buy.

Technics are another, very popular, option. IMO, they are generally a
bit over-priced, compared to Denon, due to their popularity with the
disco people. Still, they are quite decent for the most part. Beware:
Technics have built some real shit in their low end models.

Rega is a fascinating Pommy success story. Fully manual, but excellent
performers, built fairly cheaply. Tone arms are a one piece, magnesium
casting. Genius. Counterweight is solid tantalum. Available new and used
(the Rega Plannar 3 has been around for 40 years).

Anyway, feel free to give me a call to discuss your needs (bus hours
please). 02 9589 1001

I am always happy to talk the hind leg off a mule about audio.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<l3fabrFkcmaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32792&group=aus.cars#32792

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 08:15:39 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 21:15 UTC

On 19/02/2024 8:07 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
Because they're mechanisms are simpler than
> most, even their full auto models are a good buy.

**Oh fuck. Is English my second language. That should read:

"....their mechanisms are....."

Smacks head.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<l3fe19Fl50gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32793&group=aus.cars#32793

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 08:18:17 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 22:18 UTC

On 19/02/2024 7:07 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

> The downside is that they need a 230VAC - 110VAC step-down transformer
> (about $35.00) to work in Oz.

If they are Japanese domestic items, they will be 100vac rather than 110
but running 10% high doesn't usually cause problems these day.

If anybody needs a big 110v stepdown transformer, I've got one gathering
dust in the garage.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<l3fg69Fl3tsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32794&group=aus.cars#32794

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:55:05 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 22:55 UTC

On 19/02/2024 9:18 am, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 19/02/2024 7:07 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>
>> The downside is that they need a 230VAC - 110VAC step-down transformer
>> (about $35.00) to work in Oz.
>
> If they are Japanese domestic items, they will be 100vac rather than 110
> but running 10% high doesn't usually cause problems these day.
>
> If anybody needs a big 110v stepdown transformer, I've got one gathering
> dust in the garage.

**You are, of course, correct. It was a typo on my part. The
transformers I purchase are 100VAC types. And they aren't big. They
don't need to be.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<uqu3ml$1gecb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32795&group=aus.cars#32795

From: Hans.Andnees@gmail.com (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:26:12 +1000
 by: alvey - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 23:26 UTC

Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 16/02/2024 3:41 pm, Noddy wrote:

> I am always happy to talk the hind leg off a mule about audio.

You're already doing that.

alvey

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<uqu6a7$1grqq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32797&group=aus.cars#32797

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 11:10:47 +1100
 by: Noddy - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 00:10 UTC

> [...]
> semi-auto and full auto. Because they're mechanisms are simpler than
> most, even their full auto models are a good buy.
>
> Technics are another, very popular, option. IMO, they are generally a
> bit over-priced, compared to Denon, due to their popularity with the
> disco people. Still, they are quite decent for the most part. Beware:
> Technics have built some real shit in their low end models.
>
> Rega is a fascinating Pommy success story. Fully manual, but excellent
> performers, built fairly cheaply. Tone arms are a one piece, magnesium
> casting. Genius. Counterweight is solid tantalum. Available new and used
> (the Rega Plannar 3 has been around for 40 years).
>
> Anyway, feel free to give me a call to discuss your needs (bus hours
> please). 02 9589 1001
>
> I am always happy to talk the hind leg off a mule about audio.

Thank you very much indeed Trevor. This kind of detailed response is
exactly why I asked you :)

I've taken all this on board and will keep my eye out & see what I can
find, and I'll give you a call if I come across anything specific that
needs further investigation.

Thanks again. It's greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<l3fmbkFl3tsU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32798&group=aus.cars#32798

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 11:40:20 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 00:40 UTC

On 19/02/2024 11:10 am, Noddy wrote:
> [...]
>> disco people. Still, they are quite decent for the most part. Beware:
>> Technics have built some real shit in their low end models.
>>
>> Rega is a fascinating Pommy success story. Fully manual, but excellent
>> performers, built fairly cheaply. Tone arms are a one piece, magnesium
>> casting. Genius. Counterweight is solid tantalum. Available new and
>> used (the Rega Plannar 3 has been around for 40 years).
>>
>> Anyway, feel free to give me a call to discuss your needs (bus hours
>> please). 02 9589 1001
>>
>> I am always happy to talk the hind leg off a mule about audio.
>
> Thank you very much indeed Trevor. This kind of detailed response is
> exactly why I asked you :)
>
> I've taken all this on board and will keep my eye out & see what I can
> find, and I'll give you a call if I come across anything specific that

**In case you didn't pick up on what I said, I have several Denons that
will be for sale, along with a couple of Direct drive Duals and a couple
of Technics. Except for the Denons, they're all 230VAC models. The
Denons are 100VAC versions, but I can supply suitable step-down
transformers at cost price.

I can post photos if you wish.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<HZzAN.99003$m4d.40764@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32799&group=aus.cars#32799

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 14:32:53 +1100
 by: lindsay - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 03:32 UTC

On 19/02/2024 11:10 am, Noddy wrote:

>> Which leaves with, IMO, the best value for money, quality second hand
>> stuff. Obviously, that presents it's own risks, but turntables are
>> generally operated under a very low stress environment and most can be
>> expected to last many decades.
>>
>> Personally, the two brands I like most are Denon (Japan) and Dual
>> (Germany). Dual is difficult, as the company no longer exists and
>> there are aspect of some models that can make repair impossible. For
>> instance:
>>
>> The original Dual 505 was a fine turntable, but fitted with a
>> diabolically bad headshell. However, the Dual 505-2, 3, 4 addressed
>> that problem quite effectively. The 505 was a belt drive unit and
>> drive belts are easily available, but the speed control belt is not.
>> Dual also made a number of direct drive units and they are generally
>> pretty decent. I would caution again the much older, rim drive Duals,
>> as the idler can be very difficult to find. Motors are easy to
>> rebuild. That said, the mechanisms are complicated (they're full auto)
>> and are of such an age that a full strip down and re-lube will be
>> required. OTOH, the 505 (and others in that range) are semi-auto and
>> far simpler to sort out.
>>
>> Denon make all direct drive units. I like them. A lot. I presently
>> have 11 of the suckers. I buy them in from Japan, tart them up a bit
>> and re-sell. The downside is that they need a 230VAC - 110VAC
>> step-down transformer (about $35.00) to work in Oz. The motors in
>> Denons are works of art. Smooth as butter and they last forever. They
>> come in manual, semi-auto and full auto. Because they're mechanisms
>> are simpler than most, even their full auto models are a good buy.
>>
>> Technics are another, very popular, option. IMO, they are generally a
>> bit over-priced, compared to Denon, due to their popularity with the
>> disco people. Still, they are quite decent for the most part. Beware:
>> Technics have built some real shit in their low end models.
>>
>> Rega is a fascinating Pommy success story. Fully manual, but excellent
>> performers, built fairly cheaply. Tone arms are a one piece, magnesium
>> casting. Genius. Counterweight is solid tantalum. Available new and
>> used (the Rega Plannar 3 has been around for 40 years).
>>
>> Anyway, feel free to give me a call to discuss your needs (bus hours
>> please). 02 9589 1001
>>
>> I am always happy to talk the hind leg off a mule about audio.
>
> Thank you very much indeed Trevor. This kind of detailed response is
> exactly why I asked you :)
>
> I've taken all this on board and will keep my eye out & see what I can
> find, and I'll give you a call if I come across anything specific that
> needs further investigation.
>
> Thanks again. It's greatly appreciated.

FWIW, I have mums Technics SL-D3 XA which I've been meaning to sell. Mum
bought it home from a holiday to Japan. Has an Aussie voltage switch
under the platten. Was working fine last time she used it, and I
recently plugged it in, lifted the tone arm, and around she went. :-)
Seems in good nick, minimal scuffing to the cover. No idea what the
cartridge and belt are like, so no guarantees. Trevor suggested it may
be worth up to $300, happy to let it go for $200 for you. I need the
shelf space :-)

https://imgur.com/a/OuzlhP1

Mig bottle not included. :-D

> --
> --
> Regards,
> Noddy.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<uqullh$1n0nd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32801&group=aus.cars#32801

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 15:32:50 +1100
 by: Noddy - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 04:32 UTC

On 19/02/2024 11:40 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> [...]
>>> Available new and used (the Rega Plannar 3 has been around for 40
>>> years).
>>>
>>> Anyway, feel free to give me a call to discuss your needs (bus hours
>>> please). 02 9589 1001
>>>
>>> I am always happy to talk the hind leg off a mule about audio.
>>
>> Thank you very much indeed Trevor. This kind of detailed response is
>> exactly why I asked you :)
>>
>> I've taken all this on board and will keep my eye out & see what I can
>> find, and I'll give you a call if I come across anything specific that
>> needs further investigation.
>>
>> Thanks again. It's greatly appreciated.
>>

> **In case you didn't pick up on what I said, I have several Denons that
> will be for sale, along with a couple of Direct drive Duals and a couple
> of Technics. Except for the Denons, they're all 230VAC models. The
> Denons are 100VAC versions, but I can supply suitable step-down

No worries. I did notice, and I see Lindsay's just chimed in with a
Technic for sale. Given that he's closer I'll grab that from him, but
I'll deal with you if there's anything I need for it.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<uqulnq$1n0nd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32802&group=aus.cars#32802

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 15:34:02 +1100
 by: Noddy - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 04:34 UTC

On 19/02/2024 2:32 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 19/02/2024 11:10 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> I am always happy to talk the hind leg off a mule about audio.
>>
>> Thank you very much indeed Trevor. This kind of detailed response is
>> exactly why I asked you :)
>>
>> I've taken all this on board and will keep my eye out & see what I can
>> find, and I'll give you a call if I come across anything specific that
>> needs further investigation.
>>
>> Thanks again. It's greatly appreciated.
>
> FWIW, I have mums Technics SL-D3 XA which I've been meaning to sell. Mum
> bought it home from a holiday to Japan. Has an Aussie voltage switch
> under the platten. Was working fine last time she used it, and I
> recently plugged it in, lifted the tone arm, and around she went. :-)
> Seems in good nick, minimal scuffing to the cover. No idea what the
> cartridge and belt are like, so no guarantees. Trevor suggested it may
> be worth up to $300, happy to let it go for $200 for you. I need the
> shelf space :-)
>
> https://imgur.com/a/OuzlhP1

Sounds like a deal to me. I'll take it thanks. I'm not in a hurry, so
I'll message you in a day or so and make a time to collect it.

> Mig bottle not included. :-D

Bastard.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<1mDAN.362370$7sbb.102422@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32803&group=aus.cars#32803

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 18:23:38 +1100
 by: lindsay - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 07:23 UTC

On 19/02/2024 3:34 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Thank you very much indeed Trevor. This kind of detailed response is
>>> exactly why I asked you :)
>>>
>>> I've taken all this on board and will keep my eye out & see what I
>>> can find, and I'll give you a call if I come across anything specific
>>> that needs further investigation.
>>>
>>> Thanks again. It's greatly appreciated.
>>
>> FWIW, I have mums Technics SL-D3 XA which I've been meaning to sell.
>> Mum bought it home from a holiday to Japan. Has an Aussie voltage
>> switch under the platten. Was working fine last time she used it, and
>> I recently plugged it in, lifted the tone arm, and around she went.
>> :-) Seems in good nick, minimal scuffing to the cover. No idea what
>> the cartridge and belt are like, so no guarantees. Trevor suggested it
>> may be worth up to $300, happy to let it go for $200 for you. I need
>> the shelf space :-)
>>
>> https://imgur.com/a/OuzlhP1
>
> Sounds like a deal to me. I'll take it thanks. I'm not in a hurry, so
> I'll message you in a day or so and make a time to collect it.

Cool.!! Please note, i'm off to NZ on Sunday for 2 weeks, so it's this
week, or 3 weeks from now... :-)

>> Mig bottle not included. :-D
>
> Bastard.

Been called a lot worse, like late for dinner :-)

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<uqv4gv$1pisq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32804&group=aus.cars#32804

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 19:46:23 +1100
 by: Noddy - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 08:46 UTC

On 19/02/2024 6:23 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 19/02/2024 3:34 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> Sounds like a deal to me. I'll take it thanks. I'm not in a hurry, so
>> I'll message you in a day or so and make a time to collect it.
>
> Cool.!!  Please note, i'm off to NZ on Sunday for 2 weeks, so it's this
> week, or 3 weeks from now... :-)

I've got stuff on this week, so enjoy your trip and I'll see you when
you get back.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<l3gjalFri5pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32805&group=aus.cars#32805

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 19:54:45 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 08:54 UTC

On 19/02/2024 3:32 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 19/02/2024 11:40 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> Thank you very much indeed Trevor. This kind of detailed response is
>>> exactly why I asked you :)
>>>
>>> I've taken all this on board and will keep my eye out & see what I
>>> can find, and I'll give you a call if I come across anything specific
>>> that needs further investigation.
>>>
>>> Thanks again. It's greatly appreciated.
>>>

>> **In case you didn't pick up on what I said, I have several Denons
>> that will be for sale, along with a couple of Direct drive Duals and a
>> couple of Technics. Except for the Denons, they're all 230VAC models.
>> The Denons are 100VAC versions, but I can supply suitable step-down
>> transformers at cost price.
>>
>> I can post photos if you wish.
>
> No worries. I did notice, and I see Lindsay's just chimed in with a
> Technic for sale. Given that he's closer I'll grab that from him, but
> I'll deal with you if there's anything I need for it.
>
> Thanks again for the help.

**No probs. Lindsay's turntable is a very simple, belt drive model. Not
much to go wrong and parts should be generally available if something does.

Re: OT: Ping Trevor - Turntable recommendations

<uqv6km$1q1ev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32807&group=aus.cars#32807

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 20:22:30 +1100
 by: Noddy - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:22 UTC

On 19/02/2024 7:54 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 19/02/2024 3:32 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> No worries. I did notice, and I see Lindsay's just chimed in with a
>> Technic for sale. Given that he's closer I'll grab that from him, but
>> I'll deal with you if there's anything I need for it.
>>
>> Thanks again for the help.
>
> **No probs. Lindsay's turntable is a very simple, belt drive model. Not
> much to go wrong and parts should be generally available if something does.

Cool. Now I just need an amp and some speakers :)

Regards,
Noddy.