It'll be a nice world if they ever get it finished.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Modern bloody cars

SubjectAuthor
* Modern bloody carsKeithr0
+* Modern bloody carsNoddy
|+- Modern bloody carsTrevor Wilson
|`* Modern bloody carsDaryl
| `* Modern bloody carslindsay
|  +- Modern bloody carsDaryl
|  +* Modern bloody carsNoddy
|  |`* Modern bloody carsNoddy
|  | `* Modern bloody carsDaryl
|  |  `- Modern bloody carsNoddy
|  `* Modern bloody carsKeithr0
|   `* Modern bloody carsNoddy
|    `* Modern bloody carsDaryl
|     `* Modern bloody carsNoddy
|      `* Modern bloody carsDaryl
|       +* Modern bloody carsNoddy
|       |`* Modern bloody carsjonz@ nothere.com
|       | `* Modern bloody carsNoddy
|       |  `* Modern bloody carsalvey
|       |   `- Modern bloody carsXeno
|       `* Modern bloody carsXeno
|        `- Modern bloody carsClocky
+* Modern bloody carslindsay
|+* Modern bloody carsNoddy
||`- Modern bloody carsalvey
|`* Modern bloody carsDaryl
| `* Modern bloody carslindsay
|  `* Modern bloody carsDaryl
|   +* Modern bloody carsNoddy
|   |+* Modern bloody carsKeithr0
|   ||+* Modern bloody carsNoddy
|   |||`* Modern bloody carsDaryl
|   ||| `* Modern bloody carsKeithr0
|   |||  `- Modern bloody carsDaryl
|   ||`* Modern bloody carsDaryl
|   || `* Modern bloody carsKeithr0
|   ||  `* Modern bloody carsDaryl
|   ||   `* Modern bloody carsNoddy
|   ||    +- Modern bloody carsDaryl
|   ||    `* Modern bloody carsKeithr0
|   ||     `* Modern bloody carsNoddy
|   ||      `* Modern bloody carsKeithr0
|   ||       `- Modern bloody carsNoddy
|   |`* Modern bloody carsalvey
|   | `- Modern bloody carsXeno
|   `* Modern bloody carsKeithr0
|    `- Modern bloody carsNoddy
`- Modern bloody carsDaryl

Pages:12
Modern bloody cars

<ke82erF1r5lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24484&group=aus.cars#24484

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Modern bloody cars
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 16:36:11 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 06:36 UTC

We've been away for a few weeks, I was expecting the batteries on the
cars to be a bit down, but the 6 year old Maz3 was D.E.D dead. I had to
use the emergency key to unlock it, and absolutely nothing came on.
Jumpering from #1 daughter's Toyota brought the dash lights on but no
chance of starting. The RACQ man came round with his jumper box, that
started the car, "Take it for a drive and it should be OK" he said. So I
did, the car wasn't happy, there were several warning lights, and it
only had one gear. On return from a 30 minute drive, the car wouldn't
start again. So I took the battery to the local battery shop, he stuck
it on his computer controlled charger and it seems OK now, although I
don't have full confidence in it yet.

OTOH the 32 year old MX-5 started first turn of the key.

Re: Modern bloody cars

<u5mskt$mj4c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24485&group=aus.cars#24485

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Modern bloody cars
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 19:01:17 +1000
 by: Noddy - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 09:01 UTC

On 6/06/2023 4:36 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> We've been away for a few weeks, I was expecting the batteries on the
> cars to be a bit down, but the 6 year old Maz3 was D.E.D dead. I had to
> use the emergency key to unlock it, and absolutely nothing came on.
> Jumpering from #1 daughter's Toyota brought the dash lights on but no
> chance of starting. The RACQ man came round with his jumper box, that
> started the car, "Take it for a drive and it should be OK" he said. So I
> did, the car wasn't happy, there were several warning lights, and it
> only had one gear. On return from a 30 minute drive, the car wouldn't
> start again. So I took the battery to the local battery shop, he stuck
> it on his computer controlled charger and it seems OK now, although I
> don't have full confidence in it yet.
>
> OTOH the 32 year old MX-5 started first turn of the key.

The parasitic voltage drain on modern cars is horrendous, and especially
if you don't "put them to sleep" like parking them in a garage without
locking them for example. Your MX-5's only load would be it's clock, but
the 3 would be something else entirely.

If you're going to park it for extended periods, then it would be a good
idea to invest in a battery charger that has a good float mode. Ctek
make a range that work well.
Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Modern bloody cars

<HYCfM.3988123$vBI8.2581771@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24486&group=aus.cars#24486

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 19:25:57 +1000
 by: lindsay - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 09:25 UTC

On 6/06/2023 4:36 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> We've been away for a few weeks, I was expecting the batteries on the
> cars to be a bit down, but the 6 year old Maz3 was D.E.D dead. I had to
> use the emergency key to unlock it, and absolutely nothing came on.
> Jumpering from #1 daughter's Toyota brought the dash lights on but no
> chance of starting. The RACQ man came round with his jumper box, that
> started the car, "Take it for a drive and it should be OK" he said. So I
> did, the car wasn't happy, there were several warning lights, and it
> only had one gear. On return from a 30 minute drive, the car wouldn't
> start again. So I took the battery to the local battery shop, he stuck
> it on his computer controlled charger and it seems OK now, although I
> don't have full confidence in it yet.
>
> OTOH the 32 year old MX-5 started first turn of the key.

all the modern crap...

I've a Polaris quad that required a new battery every 12 months/200klm,
at around $100. Got sick of that, so put a $20 master kill switch inline
just after the positive terminal. end of problem.

Ford Australia must be doing a special on batteries at the moment...
Mate had his ranga serviced, was told his battery had dropped a cell,
and a replacement would be $620. Battery had 12.79v. (Oh, and wipers @
$109, but thats another story.) Another page on his service report said
the battery was fine.

And they wonder why Ford Service is treated with such distain...

Another ranger driver on the forums was complaining of the same thing,
but he was quoted $320 for a battery. Still high but a bit more realistic...

I got mine done (20k service) last thursday. Told them I'd had Forscan
done, and if they wiped it, i'd remove $140 from the bill. Got the maps
updated, and the oil change warning removed, and Forscan still works. So
at least they listened. I presume they changed the oil and filter :-)

Re: Modern bloody cars

<ke9g8eF8rbbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24488&group=aus.cars#24488

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 05:37:51 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 19:37 UTC

On 6/06/2023 7:01 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/06/2023 4:36 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>> We've been away for a few weeks, I was expecting the batteries on the
>> cars to be a bit down, but the 6 year old Maz3 was D.E.D dead. I had
>> to use the emergency key to unlock it, and absolutely nothing came on.
>> Jumpering from #1 daughter's Toyota brought the dash lights on but no
>> chance of starting. The RACQ man came round with his jumper box, that
>> started the car, "Take it for a drive and it should be OK" he said. So
>> I did, the car wasn't happy, there were several warning lights, and it
>> only had one gear. On return from a 30 minute drive, the car wouldn't
>> start again. So I took the battery to the local battery shop, he stuck
>> it on his computer controlled charger and it seems OK now, although I
>> don't have full confidence in it yet.
>>
>> OTOH the 32 year old MX-5 started first turn of the key.
>
> The parasitic voltage drain on modern cars is horrendous, and especially
> if you don't "put them to sleep" like parking them in a garage without
> locking them for example. Your MX-5's only load would be it's clock, but
> the 3 would be something else entirely.
>
> If you're going to park it for extended periods, then it would be a good
> idea to invest in a battery charger that has a good float mode. Ctek
> make a range that work well.

**Agreed. Buy a Ctek charger.

Re: Modern bloody cars

<u5ofvd$si52$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24490&group=aus.cars#24490

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:37:17 +1000
 by: Noddy - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 23:37 UTC

On 6/06/2023 7:25 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 6/06/2023 4:36 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>> We've been away for a few weeks, I was expecting the batteries on the
>> cars to be a bit down, but the 6 year old Maz3 was D.E.D dead. I had
>> to use the emergency key to unlock it, and absolutely nothing came on.
>> Jumpering from #1 daughter's Toyota brought the dash lights on but no
>> chance of starting. The RACQ man came round with his jumper box, that
>> started the car, "Take it for a drive and it should be OK" he said. So
>> I did, the car wasn't happy, there were several warning lights, and it
>> only had one gear. On return from a 30 minute drive, the car wouldn't
>> start again. So I took the battery to the local battery shop, he stuck
>> it on his computer controlled charger and it seems OK now, although I
>> don't have full confidence in it yet.
>>
>> OTOH the 32 year old MX-5 started first turn of the key.
>
> all the modern crap...
>
> I've a Polaris quad that required a new battery every 12 months/200klm,
> at around $100. Got sick of that, so put a $20 master kill switch inline
> just after the positive terminal. end of problem.
>
> Ford Australia must be doing a special on batteries at the moment...
> Mate had his ranga serviced, was told his battery had dropped a cell,
> and a replacement would be $620. Battery had 12.79v. (Oh, and wipers @
> $109, but thats another story.)  Another page on his service report said
> the battery was fine.

Lol :)

> And they wonder why Ford Service is treated with such distain...

Yep. They're all fucking hopeless.

> Another ranger driver on the forums was complaining of the same thing,
> but he was quoted $320 for a battery. Still high but a bit more
> realistic...
>
> I got mine done (20k service) last thursday. Told them I'd had Forscan
> done, and if they wiped it, i'd remove $140 from the bill. Got the maps
> updated, and the oil change warning removed, and Forscan still works. So
> at least they listened. I presume they changed the oil and filter :-)

ROTFL :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Modern bloody cars

<ke9ujcFarkaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24492&group=aus.cars#24492

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:42:35 +1000
 by: Daryl - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 23:42 UTC

On 6/6/2023 4:36 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> We've been away for a few weeks, I was expecting the batteries on the
> cars to be a bit down, but the 6 year old Maz3 was D.E.D dead. I had to
> use the emergency key to unlock it, and absolutely nothing came on.
> Jumpering from #1 daughter's Toyota brought the dash lights on but no
> chance of starting. The RACQ man came round with his jumper box, that
> started the car, "Take it for a drive and it should be OK" he said. So I
> did, the car wasn't happy, there were several warning lights, and it
> only had one gear. On return from a 30 minute drive, the car wouldn't
> start again. So I took the battery to the local battery shop, he stuck
> it on his computer controlled charger and it seems OK now, although I
> don't have full confidence in it yet.
>
> OTOH the 32 year old MX-5 started first turn of the key.

Not unusual, don't know much about late model Mazda electrics but I know
MB cars get "upset" by a weak battery, no fault light on the dash but
when you scan it there will be dozens of "low voltage" codes.
Lead acid batteries do not like to be discharged so next time you go
away I suggest connecting a maintenance charger, C Tek aren't cheap but
they work very well.

--
Daryl

Re: Modern bloody cars

<ke9uliFarkaU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24493&group=aus.cars#24493

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:43:46 +1000
 by: Daryl - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 23:43 UTC

On 6/6/2023 7:01 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/06/2023 4:36 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>> We've been away for a few weeks, I was expecting the batteries on the
>> cars to be a bit down, but the 6 year old Maz3 was D.E.D dead. I had
>> to use the emergency key to unlock it, and absolutely nothing came on.
>> Jumpering from #1 daughter's Toyota brought the dash lights on but no
>> chance of starting. The RACQ man came round with his jumper box, that
>> started the car, "Take it for a drive and it should be OK" he said. So
>> I did, the car wasn't happy, there were several warning lights, and it
>> only had one gear. On return from a 30 minute drive, the car wouldn't
>> start again. So I took the battery to the local battery shop, he stuck
>> it on his computer controlled charger and it seems OK now, although I
>> don't have full confidence in it yet.
>>
>> OTOH the 32 year old MX-5 started first turn of the key.
>
> The parasitic voltage drain on modern cars is horrendous, and especially
> if you don't "put them to sleep" like parking them in a garage without
> locking them for example. Your MX-5's only load would be it's clock, but
> the 3 would be something else entirely.
>
> If you're going to park it for extended periods, then it would be a good
> idea to invest in a battery charger that has a good float mode. Ctek
> make a range that work well.

Agree, I have one that I connect to whatever car I'm not using much.
--
Daryl

Re: Modern bloody cars

<ke9v9eFarkaU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24494&group=aus.cars#24494

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:54:22 +1000
 by: Daryl - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 23:54 UTC

On 6/6/2023 7:25 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 6/06/2023 4:36 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>> We've been away for a few weeks, I was expecting the batteries on the
>> cars to be a bit down, but the 6 year old Maz3 was D.E.D dead. I had
>> to use the emergency key to unlock it, and absolutely nothing came on.
>> Jumpering from #1 daughter's Toyota brought the dash lights on but no
>> chance of starting. The RACQ man came round with his jumper box, that
>> started the car, "Take it for a drive and it should be OK" he said. So
>> I did, the car wasn't happy, there were several warning lights, and it
>> only had one gear. On return from a 30 minute drive, the car wouldn't
>> start again. So I took the battery to the local battery shop, he stuck
>> it on his computer controlled charger and it seems OK now, although I
>> don't have full confidence in it yet.
>>
>> OTOH the 32 year old MX-5 started first turn of the key.
>
> all the modern crap...
>
> I've a Polaris quad that required a new battery every 12 months/200klm,
> at around $100. Got sick of that, so put a $20 master kill switch inline
> just after the positive terminal. end of problem.

> Ford Australia must be doing a special on batteries at the moment...
> Mate had his ranga serviced, was told his battery had dropped a cell,
> and a replacement would be $620. Battery had 12.79v. (Oh, and wipers @
> $109, but thats another story.)  Another page on his service report said
> the battery was fine.
>
> And they wonder why Ford Service is treated with such distain...

If it had a dead cell it wouldn't start so someone screwed up.

> Another ranger driver on the forums was complaining of the same thing,
> but he was quoted $320 for a battery. Still high but a bit more
> realistic...
>
> I got mine done (20k service) last thursday. Told them I'd had Forscan
> done, and if they wiped it, i'd remove $140 from the bill. Got the maps
> updated, and the oil change warning removed, and Forscan still works. So
> at least they listened. I presume they changed the oil and filter :-)

Euro car batteries are usually quite large so they can be expensive,
AFAIK its to do with extreme low temps in Europe which shouldn't be a
problem here.
Apparently to replace the battery on my mate's Volvo requires part of
the suspension to be removed to gain access, he's had it replaced once
and I think it cost him around $800.00.

--
Daryl

Re: Modern bloody cars

<krSfM.2374$Yr24.1856@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24498&group=aus.cars#24498

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 13:02:38 +1000
 by: lindsay - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 03:02 UTC

On 7/06/2023 9:54 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 6/6/2023 7:25 pm, lindsay wrote:

>> Ford Australia must be doing a special on batteries at the moment...
>> Mate had his ranga serviced, was told his battery had dropped a cell,
>> and a replacement would be $620. Battery had 12.79v. (Oh, and wipers @
>> $109, but thats another story.)  Another page on his service report
>> said the battery was fine.
>>
>> And they wonder why Ford Service is treated with such distain...
>
> If it had a dead cell it wouldn't start so someone screwed up.

Ford did, by trying to screw over an ex mechanic...

>> Another ranger driver on the forums was complaining of the same thing,
>> but he was quoted $320 for a battery. Still high but a bit more
>> realistic...
>>
>> I got mine done (20k service) last thursday. Told them I'd had Forscan
>> done, and if they wiped it, i'd remove $140 from the bill. Got the
>> maps updated, and the oil change warning removed, and Forscan still
>> works. So at least they listened. I presume they changed the oil and
>> filter :-)
>>

> Euro car batteries are usually quite large so they can be expensive,
> AFAIK its to do with extreme low temps in Europe which shouldn't be a
> problem here.
> Apparently to replace the battery on my mate's Volvo requires part of
> the suspension to be removed to gain access, he's had it replaced once
> and I think it cost him around $800.00.

Ouch. The ranger is a simple lift in lift out job. There's nothing wrong
with his battery, ford were just trying to con him. and $109 for wiper
blades.. available from ford for $50 a pair inc delivery. Hahahahahahahaha

Re: Modern bloody cars

<keabq7FcnudU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24499&group=aus.cars#24499

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 13:28:07 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 03:28 UTC

On 7/6/2023 1:02 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 7/06/2023 9:54 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 6/6/2023 7:25 pm, lindsay wrote:
>
>>> Ford Australia must be doing a special on batteries at the moment...
>>> Mate had his ranga serviced, was told his battery had dropped a cell,
>>> and a replacement would be $620. Battery had 12.79v. (Oh, and wipers
>>> @ $109, but thats another story.)  Another page on his service report
>>> said the battery was fine.
>>>
>>> And they wonder why Ford Service is treated with such distain...
>>
>> If it had a dead cell it wouldn't start so someone screwed up.
>
> Ford did, by trying to screw over an ex mechanic...
>>>
>>> Another ranger driver on the forums was complaining of the same
>>> thing, but he was quoted $320 for a battery. Still high but a bit
>>> more realistic...
>>>
>>> I got mine done (20k service) last thursday. Told them I'd had
>>> Forscan done, and if they wiped it, i'd remove $140 from the bill.
>>> Got the maps updated, and the oil change warning removed, and Forscan
>>> still works. So at least they listened. I presume they changed the
>>> oil and filter :-)
>>>

>> Euro car batteries are usually quite large so they can be expensive,
>> AFAIK its to do with extreme low temps in Europe which shouldn't be a
>> problem here.
>> Apparently to replace the battery on my mate's Volvo requires part of
>> the suspension to be removed to gain access, he's had it replaced once
>> and I think it cost him around $800.00.
>
> Ouch. The ranger is a simple lift in lift out job. There's nothing wrong
> with his battery, ford were just trying to con him. and $109 for wiper
> blades.. available from ford for $50 a pair inc delivery. Hahahahahahahaha

Could be worse, he could own a Subaru, their cars are very good but
their dealers are arseholes who will try and screw you at every opportunity.

--
Daryl

Re: Modern bloody cars

<u5ov25$11gf6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24502&group=aus.cars#24502

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 13:54:46 +1000
 by: Noddy - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 03:54 UTC

On 7/06/2023 1:28 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 7/6/2023 1:02 pm, lindsay wrote:

>> Ouch. The ranger is a simple lift in lift out job. There's nothing
>> wrong with his battery, ford were just trying to con him. and $109 for
>> wiper blades.. available from ford for $50 a pair inc delivery.
>> Hahahahahahahaha
>>>

> Could be worse, he could own a Subaru, their cars are very good but
> their dealers are arseholes who will try and screw you at every
> opportunity.

Story of the dealership world in fact. There are exceptions of course,
but most of them make a very good living selling over priced shit to
people who don't need it.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Modern bloody cars

<keamltFdu8tU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24508&group=aus.cars#24508

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 16:33:33 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 06:33 UTC

On 7/06/2023 1:54 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 7/06/2023 1:28 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 7/6/2023 1:02 pm, lindsay wrote:
>
>>> Ouch. The ranger is a simple lift in lift out job. There's nothing
>>> wrong with his battery, ford were just trying to con him. and $109
>>> for wiper blades.. available from ford for $50 a pair inc delivery.
>>> Hahahahahahahaha
>>>>

>> Could be worse, he could own a Subaru, their cars are very good but
>> their dealers are arseholes who will try and screw you at every
>> opportunity.
>
> Story of the dealership world in fact. There are exceptions of course,
> but most of them make a very good living selling over priced shit to
> people who don't need it.

Mazda, $900 to replace a rocker box gasket.

Re: Modern bloody cars

<kean2vFdu8tU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24509&group=aus.cars#24509

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 16:40:32 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 06:40 UTC

On 7/06/2023 1:28 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 7/6/2023 1:02 pm, lindsay wrote:

>>> If it had a dead cell it wouldn't start so someone screwed up.
>>
>> Ford did, by trying to screw over an ex mechanic...

>>> Euro car batteries are usually quite large so they can be expensive,
>>> AFAIK its to do with extreme low temps in Europe which shouldn't be a
>>> problem here.
>>> Apparently to replace the battery on my mate's Volvo requires part of
>>> the suspension to be removed to gain access, he's had it replaced
>>> once and I think it cost him around $800.00.
>>
>> Ouch. The ranger is a simple lift in lift out job. There's nothing
>> wrong with his battery, ford were just trying to con him. and $109 for
>> wiper blades.. available from ford for $50 a pair inc delivery.
>> Hahahahahahahaha
>>>

> Could be worse, he could own a Subaru, their cars are very good but
> their dealers are arseholes who will try and screw you at every
> opportunity.

Subaru have come up with a great accessory, it detects when the traffic
lights have changed to green. Maybe it will wake up the dozy bastards
who just sit there after the lights change.

Re: Modern bloody cars

<u5pb66$12nfp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24510&group=aus.cars#24510

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 17:21:42 +1000
 by: Noddy - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 07:21 UTC

On 7/06/2023 4:40 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 7/06/2023 1:28 pm, Daryl wrote:

>> Could be worse, he could own a Subaru, their cars are very good but
>> their dealers are arseholes who will try and screw you at every
>> opportunity.
>
> Subaru have come up with a great accessory, it detects when the traffic
> lights have changed to green. Maybe it will wake up the dozy bastards
> who just sit there after the lights change.

Lol :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Modern bloody cars

<u5pb6s$12nfp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24511&group=aus.cars#24511

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 17:22:05 +1000
 by: Noddy - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 07:22 UTC

On 7/06/2023 4:33 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 7/06/2023 1:54 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Could be worse, he could own a Subaru, their cars are very good but
>>> their dealers are arseholes who will try and screw you at every
>>> opportunity.
>>
>> Story of the dealership world in fact. There are exceptions of course,
>> but most of them make a very good living selling over priced shit to
>> people who don't need it.
>>
> Mazda, $900 to replace a rocker box gasket.

Fucking obscene.
Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Modern bloody cars

<keaqh9Feon4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24514&group=aus.cars#24514

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 17:39:21 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 07:39 UTC

On 7/6/2023 4:33 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 7/06/2023 1:54 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Could be worse, he could own a Subaru, their cars are very good but
>>> their dealers are arseholes who will try and screw you at every
>>> opportunity.
>>
>> Story of the dealership world in fact. There are exceptions of course,
>> but most of them make a very good living selling over priced shit to
>> people who don't need it.
>>
> Mazda, $900 to replace a rocker box gasket.

Bloody hell, didn't know that gasket material was made out of gold.
Was that on the MX5 or the 3?
A friend took his Mazda 6 TD wagon to the dealer for a service, they
told him that it needed a new timing chain, no parts were available so
it sat at the dealership for 4mths waiting for the part and then they
charged him $4000.00 for the job.

--
Daryl

Re: Modern bloody cars

<kearthFeon4U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24517&group=aus.cars#24517

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 18:02:56 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 08:02 UTC

On 7/6/2023 5:22 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 7/06/2023 4:33 pm, Keithr0 wrote:

>>> Story of the dealership world in fact. There are exceptions of
>>> course, but most of them make a very good living selling over priced
>>> shit to people who don't need it.
>>>
>> Mazda, $900 to replace a rocker box gasket.
>
> Fucking obscene.

Absolutely.
Even if it was $100 for the gasket and it took 3hrs to replace its still
wouldn't cost $900, maybe on a Mazda you have to buy the rocker cover to
get the gasket and they don't sell then separately?
Maybe they "suggest" that since you have to remove the coils to remove
the rocker cover that you should replace the coils at the same time?
While they are at it might as well check and adjust the valve clearances
if that's possible on that engine?
Anything is possible with dealers trying to up sell as much retail work
as possible.
A quick online search without knowing the exact model (I looked for MX5)
shows prices for the gasket between $15.95 and $67.95 for a genuine
Mazda part.

--
Daryl

Re: Modern bloody cars

<keas3kFdu8tU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24518&group=aus.cars#24518

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 18:06:13 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 08:06 UTC

On 7/06/2023 5:39 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 7/6/2023 4:33 pm, Keithr0 wrote:

>>> Story of the dealership world in fact. There are exceptions of
>>> course, but most of them make a very good living selling over priced
>>> shit to people who don't need it.
>>>
>> Mazda, $900 to replace a rocker box gasket.
>

> Bloody hell, didn't know that gasket material was made out of gold.
> Was that on the MX5 or the 3?

The Maz3, the MX-5 goes to a specialist not to a dealer.

The gasket is worth a bit over $100 (that's a ripoff for a start) there
is a video on youtube on how to do it. I'd reckon that an experienced
mechanic shouldn't take more than an hour, I might take an afternoon.

> A friend took his Mazda 6 TD wagon to the dealer for a service, they
> told him that it needed a new timing chain, no parts were available so
> it sat at the dealership for 4mths waiting for the part and then they
> charged him $4000.00 for the job.

Re: Modern bloody cars

<keb26kFfspgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24523&group=aus.cars#24523

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 19:50:13 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:50 UTC

On 7/06/2023 6:02 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 7/6/2023 5:22 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Mazda, $900 to replace a rocker box gasket.
>>
>> Fucking obscene.
>

> Absolutely.
> Even if it was $100 for the gasket and it took 3hrs to replace its still
> wouldn't cost $900, maybe on a Mazda you have to buy the rocker cover to
> get the gasket and they don't sell then separately?
> Maybe they "suggest" that since you have to remove the coils to remove
> the rocker cover that you should replace the coils at the same time?
> While they are at it might as well check and adjust the valve clearances
> if that's possible on that engine?
> Anything is possible with dealers trying to up sell as much retail work
> as possible.
> A quick online search without knowing the exact model (I looked for MX5)
> shows prices for the gasket between $15.95 and $67.95 for a genuine
> Mazda part.

It's a 2015 model Mazda 3 with a 2.5 litre engine.

Re: Modern bloody cars

<keb2mjFg1e5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24525&group=aus.cars#24525

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 19:58:42 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:58 UTC

On 7/6/2023 6:06 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 7/06/2023 5:39 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> Mazda, $900 to replace a rocker box gasket.
>>

>> Bloody hell, didn't know that gasket material was made out of gold.
>> Was that on the MX5 or the 3?
>
> The Maz3, the MX-5 goes to a specialist not to a dealer.
>
> The gasket is worth a bit over $100 (that's a ripoff for a start) there
> is a video on youtube on how to do it. I'd reckon that an experienced
> mechanic shouldn't take more than an hour, I might take an afternoon.

Even if it took 3 hrs and the gasket cost $100 that still not even close
to $900.00

--
Daryl

Re: Modern bloody cars

<keb2usFg1e5U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24526&group=aus.cars#24526

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 20:03:08 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 10:03 UTC

On 7/6/2023 7:50 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 7/06/2023 6:02 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> Fucking obscene.
>>

>> Absolutely.
>> Even if it was $100 for the gasket and it took 3hrs to replace its
>> still wouldn't cost $900, maybe on a Mazda you have to buy the rocker
>> cover to get the gasket and they don't sell then separately?
>> Maybe they "suggest" that since you have to remove the coils to remove
>> the rocker cover that you should replace the coils at the same time?
>> While they are at it might as well check and adjust the valve
>> clearances if that's possible on that engine?
>> Anything is possible with dealers trying to up sell as much retail
>> work as possible.
>> A quick online search without knowing the exact model (I looked for
>> MX5) shows prices for the gasket between $15.95 and $67.95 for a
>> genuine Mazda part.
>>
> It's a 2015 model Mazda 3 with a 2.5 litre engine.

I watched a how to video on YouTube and it looked pretty straight
forward, nothing remotely complicated at all so its difficult to
understand the $900 quote.

--
Daryl

Re: Modern bloody cars

<u5ps57$14f86$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24534&group=aus.cars#24534

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 22:11:19 +1000
 by: Noddy - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:11 UTC

On 7/06/2023 7:58 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 7/6/2023 6:06 pm, Keithr0 wrote:

>> The gasket is worth a bit over $100 (that's a ripoff for a start)
>> there is a video on youtube on how to do it. I'd reckon that an
>> experienced mechanic shouldn't take more than an hour, I might take an
>> afternoon.
>
> Even if it took 3 hrs and the gasket cost $100 that still not even close
> to $900.00

More likely they just didn't want to do it and priced it to frighten
Keith off. Of course, they would have happily done the job if he'd given
the okay :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Modern bloody cars

<kebdfoFhlbfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24535&group=aus.cars#24535

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 23:02:47 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 13:02 UTC

On 7/6/2023 10:11 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 7/06/2023 7:58 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 7/6/2023 6:06 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>
>>> The gasket is worth a bit over $100 (that's a ripoff for a start)
>>> there is a video on youtube on how to do it. I'd reckon that an
>>> experienced mechanic shouldn't take more than an hour, I might take
>>> an afternoon.
>>
>> Even if it took 3 hrs and the gasket cost $100 that still not even
>> close to $900.00
>
> More likely they just didn't want to do it and priced it to frighten
> Keith off. Of course, they would have happily done the job if he'd given
> the okay :)

Very likely:-)

--
Daryl

Re: Modern bloody cars

<u5qssd$181bn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24538&group=aus.cars#24538

From: Paddy.O.Furniture@Coast.org (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 21:29:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: alvey - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 21:29 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 09:37:17 +1000, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/06/2023 7:25 pm, lindsay wrote:

>> And they wonder why Ford Service is treated with such distain...
>
> Yep. They're all fucking hopeless.

Absolutely. For top class servicing, you just can't beat an unqualified
and inexperienced blowhard who's operating out of a tin shed in his
backwater backyard...

Besides Fraudster, explain how you know that, "They're all fucking
hopless".

alvey

Re: Modern bloody cars

<u5qt3n$181bn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24539&group=aus.cars#24539

From: Paddy.O.Furniture@Coast.org (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 21:33:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: alvey - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 21:33 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 13:54:46 +1000, Noddy wrote:

> On 7/06/2023 1:28 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 7/6/2023 1:02 pm, lindsay wrote:
>
>>> Ouch. The ranger is a simple lift in lift out job. There's nothing
>>> wrong with his battery, ford were just trying to con him. and $109 for
>>> wiper blades.. available from ford for $50 a pair inc delivery.
>>> Hahahahahahahaha
>>>>

>> Could be worse, he could own a Subaru, their cars are very good but
>> their dealers are arseholes who will try and screw you at every
>> opportunity.
>
> Story of the dealership world in fact. There are exceptions of course,
> but most of them make a very good living selling over priced shit to
> people who don't need it.

Fraudster can't let any post with "dealer" in it go by without chanting
this mantra. It still really burns with the old shonk that none of them
would employ him as a mechanic.

alvey