Perl programming is an *empirical* science! -- Larry Wall in <10226@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>

tech / rec.radio.amateur.antenna / Re: online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from me?

SubjectAuthor
* online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from me?Will Peters
+* Re: online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from me?Jeff
|`* Re: online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from me?Will Peters
| `* Re: online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from me?Jeff
|  `- Re: online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from me?Jeff
`- Re: online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from me?Kevin Alfred Strom

1
online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from me?

<ue9cgp$1o6du$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=38&group=rec.radio.amateur.antenna#38

From: willp6677@adm.com (Will Peters)
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Subject: online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from
me?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 07:32:41 -0400
 by: Will Peters - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 11:32 UTC

I am trying to determine the longest straight line worldwide distance
from my locale. Is there a way to find it and/or an appropriate online
calculator? Thanks.

Re: online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from me?

<uebo29$292k7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=39&group=rec.radio.amateur.antenna#39

From: jeff@ukra.com (Jeff)
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Subject: Re: online calculator that determines longest straight line distance
from me?
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 10:02:00 +0100
 by: Jeff - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 09:02 UTC

On 18/09/2023 12:32, Will Peters wrote:
> I am trying to determine the longest straight line worldwide distance
> from my locale.  Is there a way to find it and/or an appropriate online
> calculator?  Thanks.

Not quite sure what you are asking for. A straight line between 2 places
would have to go through the Earth.

The 'normal' thing to use would be the Great Circle distance (which is
not a straight line) which gives the 2 shortest paths between 2 places;
2 results 1 long path, and the other the short path, (unless the 2
places are exactly antipodes of each other).
So I am not sure what you mean by "longest straight line".

Jeff

Re: online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from me?

<uebuvh$2agl6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=40&group=rec.radio.amateur.antenna#40

From: willp6677@adm.com (Will Peters)
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.antenna
from me?
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 07:00:00 -0400
 by: Will Peters - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 11:00 UTC

On 9/19/23 5:02 AM, Jeff wrote:
> On 18/09/2023 12:32, Will Peters wrote:
>> I am trying to determine the longest straight line worldwide distance
>> from my locale.  Is there a way to find it and/or an appropriate
>> online calculator?  Thanks.
>
> Not quite sure what you are asking for. A straight line between 2 places
> would  have to go through the Earth.
>
> The 'normal' thing to use would be the Great Circle distance (which is
> not a straight line) which gives the 2 shortest paths between 2 places;
> 2 results 1 long path, and the other the short path, (unless the 2
> places are exactly antipodes of each other).
> So I am not sure what you mean by "longest straight line".
>
> Jeff
Sorry, for amateur radio purposes, I meant the longest great circle
distance.

Re: online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from me?

<ueeg7i$2spmn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=41&group=rec.radio.amateur.antenna#41

From: jeff@ukra.com (Jeff)
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.antenna
from me?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:06:41 +0100
 by: Jeff - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:06 UTC

On 19/09/2023 12:00, Will Peters wrote:
> On 9/19/23 5:02 AM, Jeff wrote:
>> On 18/09/2023 12:32, Will Peters wrote:
>>> I am trying to determine the longest straight line worldwide distance
>>> from my locale.  Is there a way to find it and/or an appropriate
>>> online calculator?  Thanks.
>>
>> Not quite sure what you are asking for. A straight line between 2
>> places would  have to go through the Earth.
>>
>> The 'normal' thing to use would be the Great Circle distance (which is
>> not a straight line) which gives the 2 shortest paths between 2
>> places; 2 results 1 long path, and the other the short path, (unless
>> the 2 places are exactly antipodes of each other).
>> So I am not sure what you mean by "longest straight line".
>>
>> Jeff
>
> Sorry, for amateur radio purposes, I meant the longest great circle
> distance.

Hi Will this might be what you are looking for:
<https://www.mapability.com/ei8ic/gcm/index.php>

73
Jeff

Re: online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from me?

<ueeit1$2t78e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=42&group=rec.radio.amateur.antenna#42

From: jeff@ukra.com (Jeff)
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.antenna
from me?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:52:16 +0100
 by: Jeff - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:52 UTC

On 20/09/2023 11:06, Jeff wrote:
> On 19/09/2023 12:00, Will Peters wrote:
>>>
>>> Not quite sure what you are asking for. A straight line between 2
>>> places would  have to go through the Earth.
>>>
>>> The 'normal' thing to use would be the Great Circle distance (which
>>> is not a straight line) which gives the 2 shortest paths between 2
>>> places; 2 results 1 long path, and the other the short path, (unless
>>> the 2 places are exactly antipodes of each other).
>>> So I am not sure what you mean by "longest straight line".
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>
>> Sorry, for amateur radio purposes, I meant the longest great circle
>> distance.
>
> Hi Will this might be what you are looking for:
> <https://www.mapability.com/ei8ic/gcm/index.php>
>
> 73
> Jeff

Just to add there are many on-line calculators that will give you the
short path, so if you want to know the long path distance just subtract
the short path from the circumference of the Earth, in whatever units
you are using, and the beam heading is just the reciprocal of the short
path.

73
Jeff

Re: online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from me?

<uehghn$3hu5a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=43&group=rec.radio.amateur.antenna#43

From: kevin.strom@revilo-oliver.com (Kevin Alfred Strom)
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.antenna
from me?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:30:29 -0400
 by: Kevin Alfred Strom - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:30 UTC

On 9/18/2023 7:32 AM, Will Peters wrote:
> I am trying to determine the longest straight line worldwide distance
> from my locale.  Is there a way to find it and/or an appropriate online
> calculator?  Thanks.

The farthest great circle distance possible on Earth is approximately
24,900 miles to the antipode of your location. If you consider it
legitimate by your definition of "longest straight line worldwide
distance from my locale," you could continue the great circle line all
the way back to your location (or one inch short your location, say) and
then the greatest possible distance would be about 49,800 miles.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodes for further information.

A bizarre characteristic of antipodes is that there are an infinity of
great circle paths (all the same length) that lead to your antipode, and
any compass direction you face will lead to such a path. In contrast,
for all other points on Earth there is only one shortest (and one
longest) great circle path and to face said path you must face in one
precise compass direction only.

With all good wishes,

Kevin, WB4AIO.

tech / rec.radio.amateur.antenna / Re: online calculator that determines longest straight line distance from me?