From: kelleher.gerald@gmail.com (oriel36)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: The Tides around the Equinoxes
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 11:54:33 +0000
 by: oriel36 - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 11:54 UTC

The tides and the motions of the Earth are intimately connected, along with the Moon, of course.

www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin

Readers will notice that presently, daylight lengths increase by 4 minutes every day and slow down towards the June Solstice. This is similar to tidal flows, which are fastest at flow (equinoxes) and slowest at ebb (Solstices). Sailors know this as the Rule of Twelfths, so the annual change in the tides is in response to the variable orbital speed of the Earth.

Some experiments can be done with contemporary equipment, while theorists prefer to remain stuck in the 17th century with their many cheerleaders here.

Re: The Tides around the Equinoxes

<uskekq$30b0n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11612&group=sci.astro.amateur#11612

From: mikko.levanto@iki.fi (Mikko)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Re: The Tides around the Equinoxes
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:04:10 +0200
 by: Mikko - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 14:04 UTC

On 2024-03-10 11:54:33 +0000, oriel36 said:

> The tides and the motions of the Earth are intimately connected, along
> with the Moon, of course.
> www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin
>
> Readers will notice that presently, daylight lengths increase by 4
> minutes every day and slow down towards the June Solstice. This is
> similar to tidal flows, which are fastest at flow (equinoxes) and
> slowest at ebb (Solstices). Sailors know this as the Rule of Twelfths,
> so the annual change in the tides is in response to the variable
> orbital speed of the Earth.

Both size and times of tides vary with the phase of Moon.
The motion of Earth is fastest in early January and slowest in early July.

--
Mikko

Re: The Tides around the Equinoxes

<1e8f2620dea1c6aad7d0a54cd891df83@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11613&group=sci.astro.amateur#11613

From: kelleher.gerald@gmail.com (oriel36)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 14:59:59 +0000
 by: oriel36 - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 14:59 UTC

There is a seasonal or annual component to the tides. Before the Principia sunk research, there were some fairly decent comments.

en.wikisource.org/wiki/Philosophical_Transactions/Volume_1/Number_16

The Earth accelerates in its motion around the Sun from June to December, with the maximum acceleration occurring around the Equinox. Its maximum braking occurs around the March Equinox as the planet slows down to the June Solstice. The tides respond to this acceleration and deceleration as an annual component added to the daily and monthly cycles.

People walking along the beach will enjoy the relationship between the tides and the combinations of motions and that the ebbs and flows change in response to the motions of the Earth and the Moon in a Sun-centred system.

Re: The Tides around the Equinoxes

<uskmp3$3222p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11614&group=sci.astro.amateur#11614

From: mill45@fla.net (Jake M)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 12:22:59 -0400
 by: Jake M - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:22 UTC

You're off course. Your posting was supposed to end on 2024-02-20. Why
do you continue posting your irrelevant, incorrect material?

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: The Tides around the Equinoxes