From: clp@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Re: Musk's rocket fails, there are only so many billions to squander
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 07:07:48 -0700
 by: Chris L Peterson - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 14:07 UTC

On Sat, 18 Nov 2023 14:31:51 -0800 (PST), Rich <rander3128@gmail.com>
wrote:

>What is it, 33 engines?? Diff. between it and the Saturn V (which NASA could have simply rebuilt) is the Saturn V worked.
>
>https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-67462116

The difference is a smarter design approach. It's cheaper to let
rockets fail, and to not invest so much in making them perfect. It's
the future of commercial space.

You can blow up a lot of rockets and still be cheaper than one Saturn
V (which is obsolete technology, in any case). And you can sacrifice
rockets designed for humans during testing and it's still cheap.

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: Musk's rocket fails, there are only so many billions to squander