SubjectAuthor
* Amateur in Japan images big impact on JupiterJake M
`* Amateur in Japan images big impact on JupiterChris L Peterson
 `* Amateur in Japan images big impact on JupiterMartin Brown
  `* Amateur in Japan images big impact on JupiterJake M
   `* Amateur in Japan images big impact on JupiterChris L Peterson
    `* Amateur in Japan images big impact on JupiterJake M
     +* Amateur in Japan images big impact on JupiterJake M
     |`- Amateur in Japan images big impact on JupiterMartin Brown
     `* Amateur in Japan images big impact on JupiterChris L Peterson
      `- Amateur in Japan images big impact on Jupiterpalsing

1
Re: Amateur in Japan images big impact on Jupiter

<uf6ok2$atos$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11033&group=sci.astro.amateur#11033

From: mill45@fla.net (Jake M)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Re: Amateur in Japan images big impact on Jupiter
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 10:57:06 -0400
 by: Jake M - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 14:57 UTC

On 9/29/23 12:49 AM, RichA wrote:
> https://petapixel.com/2023/09/27/amateur-astrophotographer-captures-rare-jupiter-explosion/

With advanced digital manipulation available to the masses these days, I
dare to say that that video might be faked. If there were other videos
supporting that one, then maybe, but otherwise most likely false.

Re: Amateur in Japan images big impact on Jupiter

<nbudhih76mj3p16ucdudfma401qnkp8bnp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11035&group=sci.astro.amateur#11035

From: clp@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 10:25:39 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 16:25 UTC

On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 10:57:06 -0400, Jake M <mill45@fla.net> wrote:

>On 9/29/23 12:49 AM, RichA wrote:
>> https://petapixel.com/2023/09/27/amateur-astrophotographer-captures-rare-jupiter-explosion/
>
>With advanced digital manipulation available to the masses these days, I
>dare to say that that video might be faked. If there were other videos
>supporting that one, then maybe, but otherwise most likely false.

Such impacts are fairly common, and there are a lot of cameras
pointing at Jupiter. No reason to think this is fake.

Re: Amateur in Japan images big impact on Jupiter

<uf789u$dr0h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11036&group=sci.astro.amateur#11036

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 20:24:43 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 19:24 UTC

On 29/09/2023 17:25, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 10:57:06 -0400, Jake M <mill45@fla.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/29/23 12:49 AM, RichA wrote:
>>> https://petapixel.com/2023/09/27/amateur-astrophotographer-captures-rare-jupiter-explosion/
>>
>> With advanced digital manipulation available to the masses these days, I
>> dare to say that that video might be faked. If there were other videos
>> supporting that one, then maybe, but otherwise most likely false.
>
> Such impacts are fairly common, and there are a lot of cameras
> pointing at Jupiter. No reason to think this is fake.

There have been quite a few seen over the years.

Chances are that someone else also has video footage of the same event.
Cheap webcams and the likes of registax has put planetary imaging well
within the capabilities of any keen amateur. Once the time and date is
published it is quite likely that others will confirm it.

Great thing about videos is that they catch transient phenomena (lunar
or planetary) so there is no longer any debate about what an observer
saw through the eyepiece as used to be common in the past.

It looked violent enough that it might even produce some visible
scarring on the planets cloud deck like the SL9 impacts did.

--
Martin Brown

Re: Amateur in Japan images big impact on Jupiter

<uf95d0$se0p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11041&group=sci.astro.amateur#11041

From: mill45@fla.net (Jake M)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 08:47:28 -0400
 by: Jake M - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 12:47 UTC

On 9/29/23 3:24 PM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 29/09/2023 17:25, Chris L Peterson wrote:

>>> With advanced digital manipulation available to the masses these days, I
>>> dare to say that that video might be faked.  If there were other videos
>>> supporting that one, then maybe, but otherwise most likely false.
>>
>> Such impacts are fairly common, and there are a lot of cameras
>> pointing at Jupiter. No reason to think this is fake.
>
> There have been quite a few seen over the years.
>
> Chances are that someone else also has video footage of the same event.
> Cheap webcams and the likes of registax has put planetary imaging well
> within the capabilities of any keen amateur. Once the time and date is
> published it is quite likely that others will confirm it.
>
> Great thing about videos is that they catch transient phenomena (lunar
> or planetary) so there is no longer any debate about what an observer
> saw through the eyepiece as used to be common in the past.
>
> It looked violent enough that it might even produce some visible
> scarring on the planets cloud deck like the SL9 impacts did.

I'm still skeptical. Since it happened in August, I don't recall seeing
any images showing impact effects. How do we know that it wasn't a head
on meteor that was captured entering our atmosphere and not Jupiter's
that just coincidentally happened to appear over Jupiter as it did?
I've seen such meteors during my lifetime and they lacked the brilliance
of normal meteors.

Re: Amateur in Japan images big impact on Jupiter

<h29ghi91tq8tf234ika9198v6bibfok5v1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11042&group=sci.astro.amateur#11042

From: clp@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 07:38:47 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 13:38 UTC

On Sat, 30 Sep 2023 08:47:28 -0400, Jake M <mill45@fla.net> wrote:

>On 9/29/23 3:24 PM, Martin Brown wrote:

>>> Such impacts are fairly common, and there are a lot of cameras
>>> pointing at Jupiter. No reason to think this is fake.
>>
>> There have been quite a few seen over the years.
>>
>> Chances are that someone else also has video footage of the same event.
>> Cheap webcams and the likes of registax has put planetary imaging well
>> within the capabilities of any keen amateur. Once the time and date is
>> published it is quite likely that others will confirm it.
>>
>> Great thing about videos is that they catch transient phenomena (lunar
>> or planetary) so there is no longer any debate about what an observer
>> saw through the eyepiece as used to be common in the past.
>>
>> It looked violent enough that it might even produce some visible
>> scarring on the planets cloud deck like the SL9 impacts did.
>>

>I'm still skeptical. Since it happened in August, I don't recall seeing
>any images showing impact effects. How do we know that it wasn't a head
>on meteor that was captured entering our atmosphere and not Jupiter's
>that just coincidentally happened to appear over Jupiter as it did?
>I've seen such meteors during my lifetime and they lacked the brilliance
>of normal meteors.

It's already been examined and reported on professionally. A head-on
meteor in that location would me much rarer than an impact on Jupiter!
The seeing distortion is consistent with a source outside the
atmosphere. And the impact wasn't large enough to create any
persistent mark on the top of the jovian atmosphere.

Re: Amateur in Japan images big impact on Jupiter

<uf99bm$thbu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11043&group=sci.astro.amateur#11043

From: mill45@fla.net (Jake M)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 09:55:02 -0400
 by: Jake M - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 13:55 UTC

On 9/30/23 9:38 AM, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2023 08:47:28 -0400, Jake M <mill45@fla.net> wrote:

>>> There have been quite a few seen over the years.
>>>
>>> Chances are that someone else also has video footage of the same event.
>>> Cheap webcams and the likes of registax has put planetary imaging well
>>> within the capabilities of any keen amateur. Once the time and date is
>>> published it is quite likely that others will confirm it.
>>>
>>> Great thing about videos is that they catch transient phenomena (lunar
>>> or planetary) so there is no longer any debate about what an observer
>>> saw through the eyepiece as used to be common in the past.
>>>
>>> It looked violent enough that it might even produce some visible
>>> scarring on the planets cloud deck like the SL9 impacts did.
>>>

>> I'm still skeptical. Since it happened in August, I don't recall seeing
>> any images showing impact effects. How do we know that it wasn't a head
>> on meteor that was captured entering our atmosphere and not Jupiter's
>> that just coincidentally happened to appear over Jupiter as it did?
>> I've seen such meteors during my lifetime and they lacked the brilliance
>> of normal meteors.
>
> It's already been examined and reported on professionally. A head-on
> meteor in that location would me much rarer than an impact on Jupiter!
> The seeing distortion is consistent with a source outside the
> atmosphere. And the impact wasn't large enough to create any
> persistent mark on the top of the jovian atmosphere.
Ok. Wow, I wonder how much brighter Shoemaker-Levy 9 would have been
had it been captured with modern technology cameras? Would have liked
to have seen a video version of its initial impact.
I'll have to see if I can track down other reports on this Aug impact.
Yes, I did notice the seeing distortion and how it somewhat matched the
Jupiter distortion over the same area.
Jake

Re: Amateur in Japan images big impact on Jupiter

<uf99ud$toqa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11044&group=sci.astro.amateur#11044

From: mill45@fla.net (Jake M)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:05:01 -0400
 by: Jake M - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 14:05 UTC

On 9/30/23 9:55 AM, Jake M wrote:
> On 9/30/23 9:38 AM, Chris L Peterson wrote:

>>> I'm still skeptical.  Since it happened in August, I don't recall seeing
>>> any images showing impact effects.  How do we know that it wasn't a head
>>> on meteor that was captured entering our atmosphere and not Jupiter's
>>> that just coincidentally happened to appear over Jupiter as it did?
>>> I've seen such meteors during my lifetime and they lacked the brilliance
>>> of normal meteors.
>>
>> It's already been examined and reported on professionally. A head-on
>> meteor in that location would me much rarer than an impact on Jupiter!
>> The seeing distortion is consistent with a source outside the
>> atmosphere. And the impact wasn't large enough to create any
>> persistent mark on the top of the jovian atmosphere.
>
> Ok.  Wow, I wonder how much brighter Shoemaker-Levy 9 would have been
> had it been captured with modern technology cameras?  Would have liked
> to have seen a video version of its initial impact.
>
> I'll have to see if I can track down other reports on this Aug impact.
> Yes, I did notice the seeing distortion and how it somewhat matched the
> Jupiter distortion over the same area.
>
> Jake

Ok, well, I guess I should have done my homework. Not just the August
impact, but many others over the last couple of decades and all looking
similar to the recent one. When life throws you personal curveballs,
not as much chance to keep up on things like this unfortunately.

Re: Amateur in Japan images big impact on Jupiter

<6shghi1rgulbp2jhqk28b7itmlb284smta@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11045&group=sci.astro.amateur#11045

From: clp@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:10:31 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 16:10 UTC

On Sat, 30 Sep 2023 09:55:02 -0400, Jake M <mill45@fla.net> wrote:

>Ok. Wow, I wonder how much brighter Shoemaker-Levy 9 would have been
>had it been captured with modern technology cameras? Would have liked
>to have seen a video version of its initial impact.

Equipment available at the time would have imaged it nicely. But the
impact occurred on the far side of the planet as seen from Earth, so
no ground-based instruments were capable of observing the direct
impact. However, it was observed by several space-based cameras, and
HST caught the fireball rising above the limb.

Re: Amateur in Japan images big impact on Jupiter

<fd06ab64-a194-45a9-aa4b-4d7e17346174n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11046&group=sci.astro.amateur#11046

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:23:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: pnalsing@gmail.com (palsing)
 by: palsing - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 17:23 UTC

On Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 9:10:39 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2023 09:55:02 -0400, Jake M <mil...@fla.net> wrote:
>
> >Ok. Wow, I wonder how much brighter Shoemaker-Levy 9 would have been
> >had it been captured with modern technology cameras? Would have liked
> >to have seen a video version of its initial impact.
> Equipment available at the time would have imaged it nicely. But the
> impact occurred on the far side of the planet as seen from Earth, so
> no ground-based instruments were capable of observing the direct
> impact. However, it was observed by several space-based cameras, and
> HST caught the fireball rising above the limb.

https://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/sl9/sl9.html

Re: Amateur in Japan images big impact on Jupiter

<ufbnlq$1i272$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11048&group=sci.astro.amateur#11048

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 13:11:38 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:11 UTC

On 30/09/2023 15:05, Jake M wrote:
> On 9/30/23 9:55 AM, Jake M wrote:

>>> It's already been examined and reported on professionally. A head-on
>>> meteor in that location would me much rarer than an impact on Jupiter!
>>> The seeing distortion is consistent with a source outside the
>>> atmosphere. And the impact wasn't large enough to create any
>>> persistent mark on the top of the jovian atmosphere.
>>
>> Ok.  Wow, I wonder how much brighter Shoemaker-Levy 9 would have been
>> had it been captured with modern technology cameras?  Would have liked
>> to have seen a video version of its initial impact.
>>
>> I'll have to see if I can track down other reports on this Aug impact.
>> Yes, I did notice the seeing distortion and how it somewhat matched
>> the Jupiter distortion over the same area.
>>
>> Jake
>>

> Ok, well, I guess I should have done my homework.  Not just the August
> impact, but many others over the last couple of decades and all looking
> similar to the recent one.  When life throws you personal curveballs,
> not as much chance to keep up on things like this unfortunately.

There have been quite a few since SL9. Nothing quite so impressive but
these days there is a webcam somewhere pointed at the moon, Jupiter,
Saturn whenever they are available in the night sky to observe.

In the old days TLPs used to be put down to observers seeing things that
weren't there. Webcams now provide evidence of what was seen. Often
short lived transients aren't noticed until they process their video.

This is quite an interesting paper on how SL9 Jupiter impacts started
people thinking a lot more seriously about planetary defence for Earth.

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/100126

--
Martin Brown

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: Amateur in Japan images big impact on Jupiter