From: clp@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Re: Wonder how they'll "push" an asteroid composed of rubble?
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:47:50 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 14:47 UTC

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 21:02:43 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I guess there could be some energy impacted by an impactor, even if the body isn't really solid?

The approach I think is coolest is to just explode a big tank of white
or black powder onto one side and let radiation pressure move the
body. Of course, that requires enough advance notice that a small
nudge is all that is required. You could probably nuke most of the
asteroids likely to cause us problems and turn them into harmless
smaller pieces.

Re: Wonder how they'll "push" an asteroid composed of rubble?

<b2fe8a3f-2bbc-48b9-9ead-88b8fc92bac4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11030&group=sci.astro.amateur#11030

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 12:56:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: acridiniumester@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 19:56 UTC

On Tuesday, 26 September 2023 at 15:47:57 UTC+1, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 21:02:43 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >I guess there could be some energy impacted by an impactor, even if the body isn't really solid?
> The approach I think is coolest is to just explode a big tank of white
> or black powder onto one side and let radiation pressure move the
> body. Of course, that requires enough advance notice that a small
> nudge is all that is required. You could probably nuke most of the
> asteroids likely to cause us problems and turn them into harmless
> smaller pieces.
That assumes that the target asteroid is not spinning

Re: Wonder how they'll "push" an asteroid composed of rubble?

<uaubhitl3vg5mlm6nvsku9rfhbi8pjon3j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/tech/article-flat.php?id=11032&group=sci.astro.amateur#11032

From: clp@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:17:19 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 22:17 UTC

On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 12:56:58 -0700 (PDT), Mike Collins
<acridiniumester@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, 26 September 2023 at 15:47:57 UTC+1, Chris L Peterson wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 21:02:43 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >I guess there could be some energy impacted by an impactor, even if the body isn't really solid?
>> The approach I think is coolest is to just explode a big tank of white
>> or black powder onto one side and let radiation pressure move the
>> body. Of course, that requires enough advance notice that a small
>> nudge is all that is required. You could probably nuke most of the
>> asteroids likely to cause us problems and turn them into harmless
>> smaller pieces.
>That assumes that the target asteroid is not spinning

No, it works with a spinning asteroid. Making it lighter makes it more
responsive to radiation pressure. Doing it non-uniformly increases the
YORP effect, which could spin up a rubble pile until is disintegrates.
Making it darker increases the Yarkovsky effect. All of these offer
protective strategies, depending on the nature of the body and how
much time is available to intervene.

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: Wonder how they'll "push" an asteroid composed of rubble?