From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Well that was ... surprising but good, I guess
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 22:35:36 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 02:35 UTC

With all the talk of a trade down, this was apparently the reality:

Alex Insdorf @alexinsdorf99

Joe Hortiz on trading back: "We had one call when we were on the
clock...We ultimately didn't feel it was worth it to trade back and pass
on Joe (Alt)."

9:29 PM · Apr 25, 2024

https://twitter.com/alexinsdorf99/status/1783669754315542604

This is also a little surprising:

Alex Insdorf @alexinsdorf99

Daniel Popper: "Is Rashawn Slater your left tackle?"

Jim Harbaugh: "To be determined."

Harbaugh: "We're gonna play the best five that we have on the team."

9:32 PM · Apr 25, 2024

https://twitter.com/alexinsdorf99/status/1783670469977076046

Followed by:

Alex Insdorf @alexinsdorf99

Jim Harbaugh now says Rashawn Slater is "locked in" at left tackle.

9:42 PM · Apr 25, 2024

https://twitter.com/alexinsdorf99/status/1783672856007545336

--Robin

Re: Well that was ... surprising but good, I guess

<v0f58t$3f4bc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=4481&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4481

From: phlash74@gmail.com (phlash74)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: Well that was ... surprising but good, I guess
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 19:58:37 -0700
 by: phlash74 - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 02:58 UTC

On 4/25/24 7:35 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

> With all the talk of a trade down, this was apparently the reality:
>

> Alex Insdorf  @alexinsdorf99
>
> Joe Hortiz on trading back: "We had one call when we were on the
> clock...We ultimately didn't feel it was worth it to trade back and pass
> on Joe (Alt)."
>
> 9:29 PM · Apr 25, 2024
>
> https://twitter.com/alexinsdorf99/status/1783669754315542604
>

> This is also a little surprising:
>
> Alex Insdorf  @alexinsdorf99
>
> Daniel Popper: "Is Rashawn Slater your left tackle?"
>
> Jim Harbaugh: "To be determined."
>
> Harbaugh: "We're gonna play the best five that we have on the team."
>
> 9:32 PM · Apr 25, 2024
>
> https://twitter.com/alexinsdorf99/status/1783670469977076046
>

> Followed by:
>
> Alex Insdorf  @alexinsdorf99
>
> Jim Harbaugh now says Rashawn Slater is "locked in" at left tackle.
>
> 9:42 PM · Apr 25, 2024
>
> https://twitter.com/alexinsdorf99/status/1783672856007545336
>

> --Robin

As a philosophy, I get building from the inside out.

I just don't buy that Alt was the best player available at 5.

If they still had Allen OR Williams, I'd be more OK with this pick and
taking a WR in round 2 or 3. But Nabers was right there AND was the
likely BPA AND filled a position of desperate need for the team. Took
the Giants about 0.2 nanoseconds to get the card in for him.

Not saying Alt isn't a good player or that he is going to flop or
anything, but as of right now, they have 2 LTs and 0 proven WRs.

Michael

Re: Well that was ... surprising but good, I guess

<l90qpfF79skU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=4483&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4483

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 01:01:28 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 05:01 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> On 4/25/24 7:35 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
>>

>> With all the talk of a trade down, this was apparently the reality:
>>

>> Alex Insdorf  @alexinsdorf99
>>
>> Joe Hortiz on trading back: "We had one call when we were on the
>> clock...We ultimately didn't feel it was worth it to trade back and
>> pass on Joe (Alt)."
>>
>> 9:29 PM · Apr 25, 2024
>>
>> https://twitter.com/alexinsdorf99/status/1783669754315542604
>>

>> This is also a little surprising:
>>
>> Alex Insdorf  @alexinsdorf99
>>
>> Daniel Popper: "Is Rashawn Slater your left tackle?"
>>
>> Jim Harbaugh: "To be determined."
>>
>> Harbaugh: "We're gonna play the best five that we have on the team."
>>
>> 9:32 PM · Apr 25, 2024
>>
>> https://twitter.com/alexinsdorf99/status/1783670469977076046
>>

>> Followed by:
>>
>> Alex Insdorf  @alexinsdorf99
>>
>> Jim Harbaugh now says Rashawn Slater is "locked in" at left tackle.
>>
>> 9:42 PM · Apr 25, 2024
>>
>> https://twitter.com/alexinsdorf99/status/1783672856007545336
>>

>> --Robin
>

> As a philosophy, I get building from the inside out.
>
> I just don't buy that Alt was the best player available at 5.
>
> If they still had Allen OR Williams, I'd be more OK with this pick and
> taking a WR in round 2 or 3. But Nabers was right there AND was the
> likely BPA AND filled a position of desperate need for the team. Took
> the Giants about 0.2 nanoseconds to get the card in for him.
>
> Not saying Alt isn't a good player or that he is going to flop or
> anything, but as of right now, they have 2 LTs and 0 proven WRs.
>
> Michael

The Athletic's expert, Dane Brugler, had Harrison at number 2 overall,
Nabers at 3 and Alt at 5, so according to him, yes, Nabers was BPA at
that point.

--Robin

Re: Well that was ... surprising but good, I guess

<87le50nd6d.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=4487&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4487

From: eddiegrove@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 12:20:42 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:20 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> writes:

> The Athletic's expert, Dane Brugler, had Harrison at number 2 overall,
> Nabers at 3 and Alt at 5, so according to him, yes, Nabers was BPA at
> that point.

There is still the question of fit. On a running play, my guess is that
Alt is more valuable than Nabers. So which player is better for the team
is strongly affected by play call balance.

The other thing is that great tackles tend to stick around for 10+
years. Wide receivers tend not to.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: Well that was ... surprising but good, I guess