Life is a game of bridge -- and you've just been finessed.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft Tracker

SubjectAuthor
* Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft Trackerphlash74
+* Re: Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft Trackerphlash74
|+- Re: Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft TrackerRobin Miller
|`* Re: Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft TrackerRobin Miller
| `- Re: Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft TrackerRobin Miller
`* Re: Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft TrackerRobin Miller
 `- Re: Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft Trackerphlash74

1
Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft Tracker

<v0e7a1$356np$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=4472&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4472

From: phlash74@gmail.com (phlash74)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft Tracker
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 11:27:10 -0700
 by: phlash74 - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 18:27 UTC

https://www.chargers.com/news/final-2024-mock-draft-tracker

Final Chargers 2024 Mock Draft Tracker
Apr 25, 2024 at 10:00 AM

Omar Navarro
Jr. Writer

The wait is finally over — it's draft day.

With a handful of hours away from the start of the 2024 NFL Draft, take
a look at who draft analysts have the Bolts selecting at No. 5 overall
in their final mock drafts.

The opinions, analysis and/or speculation expressed below represent
those of individual authors and do not represent the opinions or
policies of the Chargers' organization, front office staff, coaches and
executives.

Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com – OT JC Latham, Alabama
Last updated: April 24, 2024

This is where we could potentially see a trade, but I'm going to take
the Chargers at their word that they want to be a more physical team and
improve their run game. It might be a little bit of a surprise to see
Latham go before Joe Alt, but the former Alabama star is ready to rock
at right tackle and is a more powerful blocker than his Notre Dame
counterpart.

Dane Brugler, The Athletic – OT JC Latham, Alabama
Last updated: April 25, 2024

PROJECTED TRADE: The Chargers trade down to No. 11 with the Vikings.

Jim Harbaugh selecting the strongest player in the draft wouldn't be
much of a surprise. Latham could fill in at guard as a rookie until the
Chargers need him at right tackle.

1st Round (No. 23): WR Xavier Worthy, Texas

Field Yates, ESPN – OT JC Latham, Alabama
Last updated: April 25, 2024

What about the Chargers as a trade-back candidate for teams eyeing the
quarterback class? Sure, but a deal doesn't come together in this
scenario, and Los Angeles could certainly decide to kick off the new era
of Chargers football under the duo of GM Joe Hortiz and coach Jim
Harbaugh with a tenacious tone-setter along the offensive line. Latham's
combination of power and footwork is rare, and he'd pair with Rashawn
Slater to form an excellent tackle duo to help keep Justin Herbert
upright and open up the run game.

Josh Edwards, CBS Sports – OT JC Latham, Alabama

Last updated: April 25, 2024

PROJECTED TRADE: The Chargers trade down to No. 11 with the Vikings.

Jim Harbaugh wants to run the football, and he has a familiarity with JC
Latham dating back to high school when Latham served as protection for
J.J. McCarthy. By moving back, Los Angeles picks up additional draft
resources to address other positions of need, such as cornerback and
wide receiver.

Conor Orr, Sports Illustrated – OT JC Latham, Alabama
Last updated: April 23, 2024

PROJECTED TRADE: The Chargers trade down to No. 10 with the Jets, then
trade down again to No. 12 with the Broncos.

Taking Latham, my second-best tackle on the board, is ideal because he
can play on the right side. I've said this with Alt as well. I don't
think there are any true No. 1 left tackle starters in this draft.

Lance Zierlein, NFL.com – OT JC Latham, Alabama
Last updated: April 25, 2024

Surprise, surprise! While the Chargers could be looking at a receiver
here -- we all know they need one, after parting ways with Keenan Allen
and Mike Williams -- Jim Harbaugh sits tight and takes the biggest bully
on the block to fortify his run game and set the tone on the right side
for years to come.

NFL Nation, ESPN – OT JC Latham, Alabama
Last updated: April 23, 2024

PROJECTED TRADE: The Chargers trade down to No. 11 with the Vikings.

On a team laden with roster holes, turning the Chargers' No. 5 pick into
two first-rounders and two additional picks appeared to be the best way
to quickly turn this team around. Coach Jim Harbaugh and offensive
coordinator Greg Roman are eager to boost the run game, and Latham, who
started 25 games at right tackle in college, potentially gives the
Chargers a second high-end offensive tackle alongside LT Rashawn Slater.

1st Rounds (No. 23): WR Brian Thomas, Jr., LSU

Danny Heifetz, The Ringer – OT JC Latham, Alabama
Last updated: April 23, 2024

PROJECTED TRADE: The Chargers trade down to No. 11 with the Cardinals.

At 6-foot-6 and 340 pounds, Latham is massive and has the shape of a
Harbaugh tackle. He is the former top offensive line recruit in the
country, and Harbaugh recruited him while he was at Michigan. Latham is
perfect for the physical gap-run blocking the Chargers will be
installing this season.

Chris Trapasso, CBS Sports – OT JC Latham, Alabama
Last updated: April 24, 2024

PROJECTED TRADE: The Chargers trade down to No. 6 with the Giants.

The Chargers get the Giants third-round pick -- No. 70 overall -- in the
trade back and still get a plug-and-play tackle who can mash in the run
game and comes with quality pass-protection skills. Jim Harbaugh knows
him well from the Big 10.

Peter Schrager, NFL.com – OT JC Latham, Alabama
Last updated: April 25, 2024

I look forward to a fun game of chicken here with any of the J.J.
McCarthy-interested teams, specifically Minnesota, as I don't see L.A.
trading the pick within the division to Denver or Las Vegas. Could the
Chargers pass on the mockosphere's typical OT1 (Joe Alt) and two hyped
wideouts (Malik Nabers and Rome Odunze) for Latham? Yes. The tackle is
340 pounds and a total fit for Jim Harbaugh -- not to mention, GM Joe
Hortiz presumably wouldn't mind adding an Alabama product, having come
up under Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore.

Gordon McGuinness, Pro Football Focus – OT Joe Alt, Notre Dame
Last updated: April 23, 2024

Given their needs at both tackle and receiver, I don't think the
Chargers can go wrong with either Alt or LSU wide receiver Malik Nabers
here. Alt earned a 90.7 PFF grade last season, leading all offensive
linemen in this class. A phenomenal prospect at tackle, the 6-foot-8,
322-pounder allowed just five pressures from 368 pass-blocking snaps
last season.

Jordan Reid, ESPN – OT Joe Alt, Notre Dame
Last updated: April 22, 2024

Wide receiver is a reasonable way to go here with both Washington's Rome
Odunze and LSU's Malik Nabers on the board, but Harbaugh likes to build
up the trenches, and he could pair Alt with Rashawn Slater to do just
that. Alt is versatile as a blocker and really difficult to get around.

2nd Round (No. 37): WR Ladd McConkey, Georgia

3rd Round (No. 69): RB Trey Benson, Florida State

Connor Rogers, NBC Sports – OT JC Latham, Alabama
Last updated: April 24, 2024

I don't think there is a "consensus" No. 1 tackle across NFL front
offices compared to how the media views Joe Alt. This makes Latham in
play for the Chargers at No. 5, where he plugs in at right tackle and
fits the mauling style Jim Harbaugh and Joe Hortiz crave.

Charles Davis, NFL.com – OT Joe Alt, Notre Dame
Last updated: April 24, 2024

Both he and new head coach Jim Harbaugh love their offensive linemen ...
but if Arizona trades out of the No. 4 spot, and Marvin Harrison Jr. is
still available when the Chargers are on the clock, Harbaugh could pivot
toward the Buckeye receiver, not letting his rivalry with Ohio State get
in the way of his new NFL ambitions.

Rob Rang, Fox Sports – OT JC Latham, Alabama
Last updated: April 23, 2024

PROJECTED TRADE: The Chargers trade down to No. 12 with the Broncos.

It is the world's worst-kept secret that the Chargers need help at wide
receiver after moving on from longtime standouts Keenan Allen and Mike
Williams, but taking a pass-catcher early just doesn't seem to fit Jim
Harbaugh's style. The 6-foot-6, 342-pound Latham, on the other hand, is
arguably the most physically dominant player in this draft.

Bucky Brooks, NFL.com – OT Joe Alt, Notre Dame
Last updated: April 23, 2024

Jim Harbaugh's commitment to the running game could make the offensive
line a priority in the draft. Alt is a technician with the toughness and
tenacity the Chargers' new coach covets in his front-line players.

The 33rd Team Staff, The 33rd Team – WR Malik Nabers, LSU
Last updated: April 23, 2024

Getting a playmaker for Justin Herbert makes sense. Some teams I've
heard from even have Nabers a notch above Harrison Jr. There are a lot
of mixed reviews out there.

_______________________

So the consensus is:
12 - OT JC Latham, Alabama (6 of the 12 specified a trade down, usually
to 11, only one remaining in the top 10)
4 - OT Joe Alt, Notre Dame (no trade downs mentioned)
1 - WR Malik Nabers, LSU

If they do take an offensive tackle, I'd prefer Latham mainly because he
actually started at RT in college. However, I'd hope that this would
involve a trade back (my second preferred scenario) and picking a WR
with whatever extra pick they get in the trade.

Michael

Re: Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft Tracker

<v0e9k0$35n1s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=4473&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4473

From: phlash74@gmail.com (phlash74)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft Tracker
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 12:06:38 -0700
 by: phlash74 - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 19:06 UTC

Just looked back at a few of the historical mock draft trackers I've
posted in the group:
2017 - Not a single one had Mike Williams as the pick at 7, clear
majority favored S Malik Hooker of OSU (who went 15th to Indy) -
although the tracker was pre-combine

2019 - Not a single one had Jerry Tillery as the pick, there was no
consensus pick, some of the names mentioned were QB Drew Lock, DT Dexter
Lawrence, and OT Cody Ford (Lawrence went at 17, others were available
at 28 when the Chargers picked). Interestingly, one mock had S Nasir
Adderley to the Chargers at 28 - who they got in the second round with
the 60th pick. Tracker was draft day.

2020 - 8 of 25 mocks had Herbert as the pick, 11 had Tua (1 had Jordan
Love). Embarrassingly, I stated I was hoping for Tua.

2021 - 8 of 25 mocks had Slater correctly pegged as the 13th pick, 7 had
Christian Darrisaw, others were scattered.

2022 - Zion Johnson was correctly named as 17th pick on just 2 of 40
mocks. Plurality choice was Northern Iowa OT Trevor Penning (on 9
mocks), who went two picks later to New Orleans.

Don't believe I've seen a final consensus as strong as the one for Latham.

Michael

Re: Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft Tracker

<l8vqu9F2puaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=4474&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4474

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:57:55 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 19:57 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> Just looked back at a few of the historical mock draft trackers I've
> posted in the group:
> 2017 - Not a single one had Mike Williams as the pick at 7, clear
> majority favored S Malik Hooker of OSU (who went 15th to Indy) -
> although the tracker was pre-combine
>
> 2019 - Not a single one had Jerry Tillery as the pick, there was no
> consensus pick, some of the names mentioned were QB Drew Lock, DT Dexter
> Lawrence, and OT Cody Ford (Lawrence went at 17, others were available
> at 28 when the Chargers picked). Interestingly, one mock had S Nasir
> Adderley to the Chargers at 28 - who they got in the second round with
> the 60th pick. Tracker was draft day.
>
> 2020 - 8 of 25 mocks had Herbert as the pick, 11 had Tua (1 had Jordan
> Love). Embarrassingly, I stated I was hoping for Tua.
>
> 2021 - 8 of 25 mocks had Slater correctly pegged as the 13th pick, 7 had
> Christian Darrisaw, others were scattered.
>
> 2022 - Zion Johnson was correctly named as 17th pick on just 2 of 40
> mocks. Plurality choice was Northern Iowa OT Trevor Penning (on 9
> mocks), who went two picks later to New Orleans.
>
> Don't believe I've seen a final consensus as strong as the one for Latham.
>
> Michael

Did the interest in Latham come out of the blue? I admit that, since I
don't follow college ball, I don't follow much of the pre-draft talk, as
I don't know much about the players. But I swear I have not heard his
name before yesterday or the day before.

If the Chargers could get him at 10 after a trade down, and pick up a
second-round pick in the deal, that might be perfect.

But the Chargers are already paying Pipkins a lot of money. I suppose
they could move him to RG and have Salyer move back to swing tackle.

--Robin

Re: Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft Tracker

<l8vrffF2sfeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=4475&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4475

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 16:07:05 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 20:07 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> Just looked back at a few of the historical mock draft trackers I've
> posted in the group:
> 2017 - Not a single one had Mike Williams as the pick at 7, clear
> majority favored S Malik Hooker of OSU (who went 15th to Indy) -
> although the tracker was pre-combine
>
> 2019 - Not a single one had Jerry Tillery as the pick, there was no
> consensus pick, some of the names mentioned were QB Drew Lock, DT Dexter
> Lawrence, and OT Cody Ford (Lawrence went at 17, others were available
> at 28 when the Chargers picked). Interestingly, one mock had S Nasir
> Adderley to the Chargers at 28 - who they got in the second round with
> the 60th pick. Tracker was draft day.
>
> 2020 - 8 of 25 mocks had Herbert as the pick, 11 had Tua (1 had Jordan
> Love). Embarrassingly, I stated I was hoping for Tua.
>
> 2021 - 8 of 25 mocks had Slater correctly pegged as the 13th pick, 7 had
> Christian Darrisaw, others were scattered.
>
> 2022 - Zion Johnson was correctly named as 17th pick on just 2 of 40
> mocks. Plurality choice was Northern Iowa OT Trevor Penning (on 9
> mocks), who went two picks later to New Orleans.
>
> Don't believe I've seen a final consensus as strong as the one for Latham.
>
> Michael

Here's another vote for Latham after a trade down to 11 (sorry if you
already listed it):

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/lists/chargers-nfl-mock-draft-jc-latham-nate-wiggins-ladd-mcconkey/

Alex Katson
April 25, 2024 9:29 am PT

Round 1, No. 11: JC Latham, Alabama OL

This isn’t a reaction to the latest wave of buzz regarding Latham being
the pick as high as the Chargers’ original pick at no. 5 overall. I’ve
long believed that Los Angeles would use their first selection on a
tackle, with the first version of my mock landing on Washington OT Troy
Fautanu at this 11th spot in a projected trade down with Minnesota.

Latham is a prospect the Chargers have spent a lot of time with, both at
the combine and at Alabama’s pro day in March. But reports from
Wednesday also indicated that Los Angeles would very much like to move
down, which makes me think a Latham pick at no. 5 may be a touch
unrealistic.

Ultimately, Latham is a cleaner projection at right tackle than some of
LA’s other options, including Joe Alt (a left tackle by trade) and
Taliese Fuaga and Fautanu (widely projected to be guards in the NFL). He
brings the run-blocking capability the Chargers seem to be building
their identity around, based on the moves LA has made elsewhere this
offseason.

Round 1, No. 23: Nate Wiggins, Clemson CB

Round 2, No. 37: Ladd McConkey, Georgia WR

Round 3, No. 69: Ruke Orhorhoro, Clemson DL

Round 4, No. 105: Hunter Nourzad, Penn State C

Round 4, No. 110: Jamari Thrash, Louisville WR

Round 5, No. 140: Kimani Vidal, Troy RB

Round 6, No. 181: AJ Barner, Michigan TE

Round 7, No. 225: Jaylan Ford, Texas LB

Round 7, No. 253: Akeem Dent, Florida State S

--Robin

Re: Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft Tracker

<l8vrv2F2trnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=4476&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4476

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 16:15:25 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 20:15 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:
> [...]
> down, which makes me think a Latham pick at no. 5 may be a touch
> unrealistic.
>
> Ultimately, Latham is a cleaner projection at right tackle than some of
> LA’s other options, including Joe Alt (a left tackle by trade) and
> Taliese Fuaga and Fautanu (widely projected to be guards in the NFL). He
> brings the run-blocking capability the Chargers seem to be building
> their identity around, based on the moves LA has made elsewhere this
> offseason.
>

> Round 1, No. 23: Nate Wiggins, Clemson CB
>
> Round 2, No. 37: Ladd McConkey, Georgia WR
>
> Round 3, No. 69: Ruke Orhorhoro, Clemson DL
>
> Round 4, No. 105: Hunter Nourzad, Penn State C
>
> Round 4, No. 110: Jamari Thrash, Louisville WR
>
> Round 5, No. 140: Kimani Vidal, Troy RB
>
> Round 6, No. 181: AJ Barner, Michigan TE
>
> Round 7, No. 225: Jaylan Ford, Texas LB
>
> Round 7, No. 253: Akeem Dent, Florida State S

OTOH, Latham goes 18th to Cincinnati in The Athletic's beat writers' mock:

https://theathletic.com/5438772/2024/04/24/nfl-beat-writer-mock-draft-trades-2024/

Popper made the rumored/expected trade with the Vikings' beat writer but
picked OT Troy Fautanu at 11.

--Robin

Re: Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft Tracker

<l90qb6F77drU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=4482&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4482

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 00:53:52 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 04:53 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> [...]
> tenacity the Chargers' new coach covets in his front-line players.
>
> The 33rd Team Staff, The 33rd Team – WR Malik Nabers, LSU
> Last updated: April 23, 2024
>
> Getting a playmaker for Justin Herbert makes sense. Some teams I've
> heard from even have Nabers a notch above Harrison Jr. There are a lot
> of mixed reviews out there.
>
> _______________________
>
> So the consensus is:
> 12 - OT JC Latham, Alabama (6 of the 12 specified a trade down, usually
> to 11, only one remaining in the top 10)
> 4 - OT Joe Alt, Notre Dame (no trade downs mentioned)
> 1 - WR Malik Nabers, LSU
>
> If they do take an offensive tackle, I'd prefer Latham mainly because he
> actually started at RT in college. However, I'd hope that this would
> involve a trade back (my second preferred scenario) and picking a WR
> with whatever extra pick they get in the trade.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Chargers.com: Final Mock Draft Tracker

<v0guu3$3s6cu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=4488&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#4488

From: phlash74@gmail.com (phlash74)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 12:22:41 -0700
 by: phlash74 - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:22 UTC

On 4/25/24 9:53 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
> phlash74 wrote:
>> https://www.chargers.com/news/final-2024-mock-draft-tracker
>> _______________________
>>
>> So the consensus is:
>> 12 - OT JC Latham, Alabama (6 of the 12 specified a trade down,
>> usually to 11, only one remaining in the top 10)
>> 4 - OT Joe Alt, Notre Dame (no trade downs mentioned)
>> 1 - WR Malik Nabers, LSU
>>
>> If they do take an offensive tackle, I'd prefer Latham mainly because
>> he actually started at RT in college. However, I'd hope that this
>> would involve a trade back (my second preferred scenario) and picking
>> a WR with whatever extra pick they get in the trade.
>>
>> Michael
>

> So 4 of 17 had Alt.
>
> --Robin

Yep, although earlier versions of the tracker were very much Alt heavy.
Sounds like the trade market didn't pan out as expected, Minnesota was
able to get McCarthy by moving up only one spot.

If the Chargers were set on going offensive line, I would have at least
entertained the idea of flipping with Tennessee and picking up a 3rd
rounder or something. Obviously the Chargers much preferred Alt to
Latham, but it seems to my know-nothing self that the fit for both teams
would have been better with Alt at LT in Tennessee and Latham at RT in
LA, plus adding a pick.

Michael