My way of joking is to tell the truth. That's the funniest joke in the world. -- Muhammad Ali

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: ESPN: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255 million dollar deal

SubjectAuthor
* ESPN: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255 million dollar dealphlash74
+* ESPN: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255 million dollar dealRobin Miller
|`- ESPN: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255 million dollar dealphlash74
`* ESPN: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255 million dollar dealEddie Grove
 `- ESPN: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255 million dollar dealEddie Grove

1
ESPN: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255 million dollar deal

<332dcd2a-8d57-42f6-80ce-3f71494c9d4en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=3606&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3606

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 09:27:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: ESPN: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255 million dollar deal
From: phlash74@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 16:27 UTC

(relevant because as a QB from the 2020 draft class, this will obviously be the starting point for Herbert and Burrow's extensions)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36214854/source-eagles-qb-jalen-hurts-agree-255m-deal

Source: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255M deal
play
8:07 AM PT
ESPN

The Philadelphia Eagles and quarterback Jalen Hurts have reached agreement on a five-year, $255 million extension, including $179.304 million guaranteed, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday.

Hurts' deal is the biggest contract in terms of average annual value in NFL history. Deshaun Watson's $230 million contract signed last year with the Cleveland Browns, which is fully guaranteed, still is biggest in terms of guaranteed money.

Hurts' extension includes a no-trade clause -- a first in Eagles history, a source told Schefter.

Hurts' contract: Inside the numbers

Jalen Hurts' new deal with the Eagles is the highest in terms of average annual value in NFL history but is third overall in terms of most guaranteed money.

HIGHEST AAV MOST GUARANTEED
1. J. Hurts, $51M D. Watson, $230M
2. A. Rodgers, $50.3M K. Murray, $189.5M
3. R. Wilson, $49M J. Hurts, $179.3M
-- ESPN Stats & Information
The Eagles announced Monday that they have signed Hurts to a five-year extension but did not disclose financial terms.

Hurts, 24, was an MVP candidate last season, throwing for 3,701 yards with 22 touchdowns to six interceptions while rushing for 760 yards and 13 scores.

He showed tremendous growth as a passer in his second season as the full-time starter, jumping from 19th (54.6) to fourth (66.4) in QBR and 26th (61.3%) to 11th (66.5%) in completion percentage while dropping his average time before throw from 3.12 seconds (31st) to 2.76 seconds (16th) on average.

One of his best performances came in Super Bowl LVII, when he racked up 374 total yards and four touchdowns with one costly turnover in a 38-35 loss to Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs.

His 43 total touchdowns on the year surpassed Donovan McNabb for most ever in a single season in franchise history, helping him to second-team All-Pro honors and a Pro Bowl nod.

Hurts' ascension to his spot as one of the top quarterbacks in the league was not a straight line. He was the first freshman QB to start for coach Nick Saban at Alabama, but he was benched during the national championship game in favor of Tua Tagovailoa the next season and ultimately lost the starting job to him. Hurts transferred to Oklahoma for his senior year and had a standout campaign, finishing second to Joe Burrow in Heisman Trophy voting.

A second-round pick of the Eagles in 2020, Hurts took over for a struggling Carson Wentz toward the end of the season and became the full-time starter in 2021 after Wentz was traded to the Indianapolis Colts. He has put together a 23-11 record as a starter for Philadelphia, including a 14-1 mark last season, having missed two games with a right shoulder strain.

ESPN's Tim McManus contributed to this report.

Re: ESPN: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255 million dollar deal

<ka5npfFjh4nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=3608&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3608

From: robin.miller@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 16:16:45 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 20:16 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> (relevant because as a QB from the 2020 draft class, this will obviously be the starting point for Herbert and Burrow's extensions)

How do teams build a credible team when this much of the salary cap goes
to one player? This is just going to make it harder for the Chargers.

--Robin

> [...]
>
> A second-round pick of the Eagles in 2020, Hurts took over for a struggling Carson Wentz toward the end of the season and became the full-time starter in 2021 after Wentz was traded to the Indianapolis Colts. He has put together a 23-11 record as a starter for Philadelphia, including a 14-1 mark last season, having missed two games with a right shoulder strain.
>
> ESPN's Tim McManus contributed to this report.

Re: ESPN: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255 million dollar deal

<9d9d6d1b-b29d-4bca-a9db-84648990ac1cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=3609&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3609

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:38:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: phlash74@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 21:38 UTC

On Monday, April 17, 2023 at 1:16:50 PM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> phlash74 wrote:
> > (relevant because as a QB from the 2020 draft class, this will obviously be the starting point for Herbert and Burrow's extensions)
> >
> How do teams build a credible team when this much of the salary cap goes
> to one player? This is just going to make it harder for the Chargers.
>
> --Robin
> > https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36214854/source-eagles-qb-jalen-hurts-agree-255m-deal

I think Eddie has shown that many of the salary cap considerations, while not entirely mythical, are regularly overblown (the Saints have been in "cap hell" for the last 15 years and it hasn't seemed to stop them from putting a competitive product on the field). The larger concern with the Chargers in my view are the rules about guaranteed contracts and escrow, it seems like Dean Spanos is one of the more cash poor owners in the NFL and may balk at a guaranteed number approaching $200 million.

I do think having a franchise level starting QB on a rookie deal is such a competitive advantage, allowing the team to spend big money on other positions (or like the 49ers, even if their QBs aren't exactly franchise level Shanahan's scheme and their running game cover up a lot) that the NFL does need to investigate having some sort of salary cap exemption (maybe up to 50%) for QBs. But then again, most of the problems arise when a team has just an OK starting QB but because of market timing and the desire to avoid having to develop a new starter overpays said average QB at the top of the market. If the QB really is a franchise level guy like a Mahomes (or Brady was for two decades), that can also make up for gaps in talent elsewhere on the roster.

Michael

Re: ESPN: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255 million dollar deal

<87v8huyszv.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=3610&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3610

From: eddiegrove@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 16:43:48 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 23:43 UTC

phlash74 <phlash74@msn.com> writes:

> (relevant because as a QB from the 2020 draft class, this will obviously be the starting point for Herbert and Burrow's extensions)
>
> https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36214854/source-eagles-qb-jalen-hurts-agree-255m-deal
>
> Source: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255M deal
> play
> 8:07 AM PT
> ESPN
>
> The Philadelphia Eagles and quarterback Jalen Hurts have reached agreement on a five-year, $255 million extension, including $179.304 million guaranteed, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday.
>
> Hurts' deal is the biggest contract in terms of average annual value
> in NFL history. Deshaun Watson's $230 million contract signed last
> year with the Cleveland Browns, which is fully guaranteed, still is
> biggest in terms of guaranteed money.
>
> Hurts' extension includes a no-trade clause -- a first in Eagles history, a source told Schefter.
>
> Hurts' contract: Inside the numbers
>
> Jalen Hurts' new deal with the Eagles is the highest in terms of average annual value in NFL history but is third overall in terms of most guaranteed money.
>
> HIGHEST AAV MOST GUARANTEED
> 1. J. Hurts, $51M D. Watson, $230M
> 2. A. Rodgers, $50.3M K. Murray, $189.5M
> 3. R. Wilson, $49M J. Hurts, $179.3M
> -- ESPN Stats & Information

I wonder why everyone misrepresents Rodgers. His deal was a 2 year
extension at over $60M per year. They average that extension with the
year he was already under contract for in order to get to $50M.
I can't find the useful stats any more, but I remember at the time
thinking it was something like $65M for 2023 and $60M for 2024 with
over $20M of that received early as part of an upfront payment in 2022.

If they did that with Hurts, who I consider to have an AAV of about $2M
for 2023 on his rookie contract, the AAV would be about $43M for 6
years.

> The Eagles announced Monday that they have signed Hurts to a five-year
> extension but did not disclose financial terms.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/17/jalen-hurts-agrees-to-five-year-255-million-extension-with-eagles/

"multiple reports peg the total value at $255 million with $179.304
million in guaranteed money."

Roughly 3.5 years guaranteed on a 5 year contract seems typical in my
memory, and those numbers are pretty close.

Re: ESPN: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255 million dollar deal

<87wn28g9b9.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/sport/article-flat.php?id=3611&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#3611

From: eddiegrove@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 14:38:34 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 21:38 UTC

Eddie Grove <eddiegrove@hotmail.com> writes:

> If they did that with Hurts, who I consider to have an AAV of about $2M
> for 2023 on his rookie contract, the AAV would be about $43M for 6
> years.

It seems there are some sort of automatic boosts for achieving certain
incentives when you are of a rookie contract. Hurts would have made
$4.3M in salary for 2023 plus $.5 million in amortized bonus for signing
the rookie contract. Not enough to change the $43M number, but I did get
that detail wrong.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: ESPN: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255 million dollar deal