From: os333@netc.eu (Oleg Smirnov)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.russian,alt.russian.z1,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics,can.politics
Subject: GDP vs GDP-PPP
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 11:59:30 +0300
 by: Oleg Smirnov - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 08:59 UTC

<https://archive.is/gLf3d> ft.com

<https://www.ft.com/content/c406ef56-bc43-4cdc-8913-fbaced9b9954>

Sorry America, China has a bigger economy than you. Measures that
show the opposite have absurd implications and dangerous policy
prescriptions ..

[There is some] absurd way to compare economies, but it is
deeply fashionable among people who should know better .. On these
silly market exchange rate comparisons, many news organisations
have reported [nonsense] .. A basic requirement for international
comparisons is that domestic data and international data give
similar results. This is why the economics profession invented
purchasing power parity exchange rates, allowing (imperfect)
comparisons to be made based on the goods and services that money
can buy. This matters for economic size and even military power ..
Measured at PPP, the latest IMF data shows China's GDP exceeded
that in the US .. It is now 22 per cent larger.

It comforts both the US and China not to acknowledge the changing
shift in global economic power. Coming from the UK, which lost
its top economic dog status in the late 19th century but still has
some delusions of grandeur, I can understand American denialism.
For China, it is also easier to avoid responsibilities ..

But ultimately, bad comparisons foster bad decisions ..

I myself (I'm not an economist, but there's simply a common
sense) explaned it before <https://tinyurl.com/26mbklb3>, seven
years ago, and now the Financial Times outlet, which is seen as
reputable in the "western" world, explains essentially the same
with a number of examples illustrating "absurd implications".

The primary reason why those "silly market exchange rate
comparisons" are really silly is that in typal cases of national
economies only a small part of their total product goes to
inter-national trade (that involves market exchange rates). Using
an analogy from simple math, comparison of national economies on
the basis of market exchange rates looks like an attempt to
extrapolate the value of a function over a distance much greater
than the segment over which the function is known. And no wonder
such an approach would produce a big error.

Specifically with regard to China, it's true that China officials
and Chinese mainstream analysts/commentators aren't enthusiastic
to emphasize the fact that the US economy has now become, in real
fact, only about 4/5 in comparison with the real size of China's
economy. I think it's not so about "avoiding responsibilities",
but there are two other main reasons. The first is, among Chinese
economic thinkers there is some excessive reverence for Advanced
Western this and that, so they tend to share "deeply fashionable"
concepts the FT is criticising above. The second is linked with
the Chinese historically traditional settings not encouraging a
blusterous-cocky stance but preferring to coerce an opponent with
an overwhelming superiority (and until it's achieved, it's better
"to keep a low profile"). Besides, it seems more fair to conduct
the conversation about "responsibilities for climate change and
other global goods" in per capita rather than per nation terms.

Re: GDP vs GDP-PPP

<ul2t14$2cne6$1@os.motzarella.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=705&group=soc.culture.russian#705

Followup: alt.russian.z1
From: os333@netc.eu (Oleg Smirnov)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.russian,alt.russian.z1,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics,can.politics
Subject: Re: GDP vs GDP-PPP
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 02:25:05 +0300
 by: Oleg Smirnov - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 23:25 UTC

Вулкaн, <news:ul2j9r$2bamv$1@dont-email.me>
> On 12/9/2023 2:33 PM, D wrote:

It's visible you guys feel a pain. I suggest you
to stop soiling the tread with irrelevant garbage.
Keep your shit eating self under control.

Re: GDP vs GDP-PPP

<ul2fdp$2aedc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=707&group=soc.culture.russian#707

From: nospam@nospam.com (D)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.russian,alt.russian.z1,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics,can.politics
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 14:33:14 -0500
 by: D - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 19:33 UTC

On 12/9/2023 3:59 AM, Oleg Smirnov wrote:

> Measured at PPP,

Measured by Госкомстат?

В ряде российских регионов, включая Москву, с декабря яйца начали
продавать поштучно, выставляя цены за одно яйцо

Согласно официальным данным Росстата, с начала года куриные яйца в
России подорожали на 36,6%, только за ноябрь - на 15%, а за последнюю
неделю ноября - на 4,4% в среднем по стране, но в 27 субъектах -
сильнее, вплоть почти до 12% за неделю.

"Поголовье птиц в хозяйствах Мурманской области за девять месяцев 2023
года сократилось на 84,4% – до 1,7 тысячи. В результате забоя
кур-несушек производство яиц в январе – сентябре сократилось на 95,5% –
до 100 тысяч штук. В частности, в сентябре производство яиц полностью
остановилось — Мурманскстат."

"В срочном порядке разрешен импорт турецкого столового яйца"

Дроны иранские, снаряды корейские, яйца турецкие, пропагандисты вообше
ишаки ....

Bye, Anatol

Re: GDP vs GDP-PPP

<ul2j9r$2bamv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=708&group=soc.culture.russian#708

From: v@v.v (Вулкaн)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.russian,alt.russian.z1,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics,can.politics
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 15:39:24 -0500
 by: Вулкaн - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 20:39 UTC

On 12/9/2023 2:33 PM, D wrote:
> On 12/9/2023 3:59 AM, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
>

>> Measured at PPP,
>
> Measured by Госкомстат?
>

> В ряде российских регионов, включая Москву, с декабря яйца начали
> продавать поштучно, выставляя цены за одно яйцо
>
> Согласно официальным данным Росстата, с начала года куриные яйца в
> России подорожали на 36,6%, только за ноябрь - на 15%, а за последнюю
> неделю ноября - на 4,4% в среднем по стране, но в 27 субъектах -
> сильнее, вплоть почти до 12% за неделю.
>

> "Поголовье птиц в хозяйствах Мурманской области за девять месяцев 2023
> года сократилось на 84,4% – до 1,7 тысячи. В результате забоя
> кур-несушек производство яиц в январе – сентябре сократилось на 95,5% –
> до 100 тысяч штук. В частности, в сентябре производство яиц полностью
> остановилось — Мурманскстат."
>
> "В срочном порядке разрешен импорт турецкого столового яйца"
>

> Дроны иранские, снаряды корейские, яйца турецкие, пропагандисты вообше
> ишаки ....

китайские яйца у них уже тоже во рту

Re: GDP vs GDP-PPP

<ul2rs3$2ch70$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=709&group=soc.culture.russian#709

From: nospam@nospam.com (D)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.russian,alt.russian.z1,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.economics,can.politics
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 18:05:40 -0500
 by: D - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 23:05 UTC

On 12/9/2023 2:33 PM, D wrote:

> В ряде российских регионов, включая Москву, с декабря яйца начали
> продавать поштучно, выставляя цены за одно яйцо
>
> Согласно официальным данным Росстата, с начала года куриные яйца в
> России подорожали на 36,6%,

> "В срочном порядке разрешен импорт турецкого столового яйца"

> Дроны иранские, снаряды корейские, яйца турецкие, пропагандисты вообше
> ишаки ....

https://t.me/c/1708761316/44486

Тем временем в Саратове идет битва за яйца.
Местные паблики пишут, что на площадях в городе образовались очереди за
продуктами. Всему виной яйца по ₽78 за десяток.

https://t.me/c/1708761316/44911

Битва за яйца в России продолжается.
На этот раз в Белгороде выстроилась длинная очередь за дешевыми куриными
яйцами.
Местные жители с 7 утра начали занимать очередь на сельскохозяйственную
ярмарку, где десяток яиц можно было купить до 70 рублей

Bye, Anatol

interests / soc.culture.russian / GDP vs GDP-PPP