From: Ken@OneOfMany.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: [specular] The Eye of Horus is specular to the Eye of Ra
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 22:38:18 -0600
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 04:38 UTC

[specular] The Eye of Horus is specular to the Eye of Ra

I had never heard the term [specular] before, but when I looked up what the
"Eye of Horus" is, the first Wikipedia sentence casually employs the word.

"The Eye of Horus, also known as left wedjat eye or udjat eye, [specular]
to the Eye of Ra (right wedjat eye), is a concept and symbol in ancient
Egyptian religion that represents well-being, healing, and protection. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Horus

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/specular
of, relating to, or having the qualities of a mirror

Etymology
Latin specularis of a mirror, from speculum

It's not exactly a mirror image, but not far from a mirror image either.

Re: [specular] The Eye of Horus is specular to the Eye of Ra

<v0fem2$3gp93$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=206080&group=alt.usage.english#206080

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 06:39:14 +0100
 by: Hibou - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 05:39 UTC

Le 26/04/2024 à 05:38, Ken Blake a écrit :

> [specular] The Eye of Horus is specular to the Eye of Ra
>
> I had never heard the term [specular] before, but when I looked up what the
> "Eye of Horus" is, the first Wikipedia sentence casually employs the word.
>
> "The Eye of Horus, also known as left wedjat eye or udjat eye, [specular]
> to the Eye of Ra (right wedjat eye), is a concept and symbol in ancient
> Egyptian religion that represents well-being, healing, and protection. "
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Horus
>
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/specular
> of, relating to, or having the qualities of a mirror
>
> Etymology
> Latin specularis of a mirror, from speculum
>
> It's not exactly a mirror image, but not far from a mirror image either.

It's been a while since I've heard the word 'specular', though 'specular
reflection' is a common enough term in physics and photography - for
reflections from glass, water, etc.. These can be controlled with a
polarising filter, e.g.:

<https://1.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E~TS590x0~articles/2448036020/polarizingfilter_feat.jpeg>

interests / alt.usage.english / [specular] The Eye of Horus is specular to the Eye of Ra