From: arthurvarr@gmail.com (navi)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: as I like it
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:47:22 +0000
 by: navi - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:47 UTC

1) I stroked the cat as he likes.
2) I stroked the cat as he likes it.

3) The rooms were decorated as I like.
4) The rooms were decorated as I like it.

Which are grammatical and meaningful?

--

Gratefully,
Navi

Lost in the Twilight Zone of the English language
Obsessed with ambiguity
Interested in strange structures

Re: as I like it

<77e265028d7a717f7163d35bca537bb2@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=205921&group=alt.usage.english#205921

From: HenHanna@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: as I like it
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 09:22:57 +0000
 by: HenHanna - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 09:22 UTC

1. I stroked the cat as he likes. ---------- Grammatical but slightly awkward

2. I stroked the cat as he likes it. ---------- Ungrammatical

3. The rooms were decorated as I like. ---------- Grammatical and meaningful

4. The rooms were decorated as I like it. ---------- Ungrammatical

Here's why:

Sentence 1: This sentence is grammatically correct, but it sounds a little awkward. The phrase "as he likes" suggests that the way you stroked the cat is dependent on the cat's preference.

However, it doesn't specify what that preference is. It would be more natural to say something like "I stroked the cat in the way he likes" or "I stroked the cat how he likes it."

Sentence 2: This sentence is ungrammatical because "it" doesn't have a clear antecedent (the word it refers back to). There's nothing mentioned previously that "it" could logically refer to.

Sentence 3: This sentence is both grammatical and meaningful. "As I like" is a prepositional phrase modifying the verb "were decorated." It means the decoration reflects your taste.

Sentence 4: Similar to sentence 2, this one is ungrammatical because "it" lacks a clear antecedent.

Re: as I like it

<3cf3cff214be78c910b2c7841ec7ef15@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=205931&group=alt.usage.english#205931

From: dougstaples@gmx.com (LionelEdwards)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 13:24:48 +0000
 by: LionelEdwards - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 13:24 UTC

HenHanna wrote:

> 1. I stroked the cat as he likes. ---------- Grammatical but slightly awkward

> 2. I stroked the cat as he likes it. ---------- Ungrammatical

> 3. The rooms were decorated as I like. ---------- Grammatical and meaningful

> 4. The rooms were decorated as I like it. ---------- Ungrammatical

> Here's why:

> Sentence 1: This sentence is grammatically correct, but it sounds a little awkward. The phrase "as he likes" suggests that the way you stroked the cat is dependent on the cat's preference.

> However, it doesn't specify what that preference is. It would be more natural to say something like "I stroked the cat in the way he likes" or "I stroked the cat how he likes it."

If you can you distinguish between "I stroked the cat in the way he likes" and
"I stroked the cat how he likes it", you are navi and I claim my £5.

> Sentence 2: This sentence is ungrammatical because "it" doesn't have a clear antecedent (the word it refers back to). There's nothing mentioned previously that "it" could logically refer to.

'As you like it' is such a stock phrase in:

"All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players"

...that "as he likes it" ought to be easily understandable? Otherwise you'll be
criticising us for "It is raining" on the grounds that that it doesn't specify
who or what is raining where?