The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: eternal-september problem?

SubjectAuthor
* eternal-september problem?Peter Moylan
+* Re: eternal-september problem?Hibou
|`* Re: eternal-september problem?occam
| `- [Take 2 ]Re: eternal-september problem?occam
+- Re: eternal-september problem?Snidely
+- Re: eternal-september problem?musika
+- Re: eternal-september problem?Madhu
+- Re: eternal-september problem?J. J. Lodder
+- Re: eternal-september problem?lar3ryca
+* Re: eternal-september problem?Peter Moylan
|+* Re: eternal-september problem?Marco Moock
||`* Re: eternal-september problem?Peter Moylan
|| `- Re: eternal-september problem?Sam Plusnet
|+- Re: eternal-september problem?Bertel Lund Hansen
|+* Re: eternal-september problem?Bertel Lund Hansen
||`- Re: eternal-september problem?Bertel Lund Hansen
|`* Re: eternal-september problem?occam
| `- Re: eternal-september problem?Hibou
`* Re: eternal-september problem?Peter Moylan
 `* Re: eternal-september problem?Snidely
  `- Re: eternal-september problem?Peter Moylan

1
eternal-september problem?

<19198a1f-b940-453b-afeb-45bc46c22fb8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197591&group=alt.usage.english#197591

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 03:15:48 -0800 (PST)
Subject: eternal-september problem?
From: peter@pmoylan.org (Peter Moylan)
 by: Peter Moylan - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 11:15 UTC

After being away for three days, I find I can no longer fetch newsgroup articles from eternal-september. An attempt to fetch asks me to give a new password. On the E-S web site, a "lost password" request doesn't send me the e-mail. An attempt to subscribe puts me into an endless loop. Is this a known problem?

If GG is the only option then I'll have to drop out of AUE, because I'm finding GG to have a seriously user-unfriendly interface.

Re: eternal-september problem?

<ui7v0l$3vir5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197594&group=alt.usage.english#197594

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: eternal-september problem?
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 11:41:08 +0000
 by: Hibou - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 11:41 UTC

Le 05/11/2023 à 11:15, Peter Moylan a écrit :

> After being away for three days, I find I can no longer fetch newsgroup articles from eternal-september. An attempt to fetch asks me to give a new password. On the E-S web site, a "lost password" request doesn't send me the e-mail. An attempt to subscribe puts me into an endless loop. Is this a known problem?

I haven't had that problem, though I've had some refusals to connect and
slowness from ES recently. If I wait a while it comes right.

I have noted the following servers at one time or another as possible
candidates (and others that I find are now dead, such as Alphanet):

<http://www.individual.net/>
<http://news2.nemoweb.net/>
<http://usenet.ovh/>

And this site, which gives instruction in how to set up a personal server:

<http://www.dodin.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Doc.Server-2021>

A web search should find more. Or you could look through the messages
here and see which servers others are using.

> If GG is the only option then I'll have to drop out of AUE, because I'm finding GG to have a seriously user-unfriendly interface.

That would be a shame.

Re: eternal-september problem?

<mn.28fd7e7b37b41d2a.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197597&group=alt.usage.english#197597

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2023 04:13:07 -0800
 by: Snidely - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 12:13 UTC

Peter Moylan submitted this gripping article, maybe on Sunday:
> After being away for three days, I find I can no longer fetch newsgroup
> articles from eternal-september. An attempt to fetch asks me to give a new
> password. On the E-S web site, a "lost password" request doesn't send me the
> e-mail. An attempt to subscribe puts me into an endless loop. Is this a known
> problem?
>
> If GG is the only option then I'll have to drop out of AUE, because I'm
> finding GG to have a seriously user-unfriendly interface.

I rebooted my computer several times when I should have been going to
bed. No problem with E-S.

/dps

--
"That’s where I end with this kind of conversation: Language is
crucial, and yet not the answer."

Re: eternal-september problem?

<ui85b8$hp8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197600&group=alt.usage.english#197600

From: mUs1Ka@NOSPAMexcite.com (musika)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 13:29:12 +0000
 by: musika - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 13:29 UTC

On 05/11/2023 11:15, Peter Moylan wrote:
> After being away for three days, I find I can no longer fetch newsgroup articles from eternal-september. An attempt to fetch asks me to give a new password. On the E-S web site, a "lost password" request doesn't send me the e-mail. An attempt to subscribe puts me into an endless loop. Is this a known problem?
>
> If GG is the only option then I'll have to drop out of AUE, because I'm finding GG to have a seriously user-unfriendly interface.

It was down for a while. Working again now.

--
Ray
UK

Re: eternal-september problem?

<kqpmf1F5t7mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197602&group=alt.usage.english#197602

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 15:17:05 +0100
 by: occam - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 14:17 UTC

On 05/11/2023 12:41, Hibou wrote:
> Le 05/11/2023 à 11:15, Peter Moylan a écrit :
>>
>> After being away for three days, I find I can no longer fetch
>> newsgroup articles from eternal-september. An attempt to fetch asks me
>> to give a new password. On the E-S web site, a "lost password" request
>> doesn't send me the e-mail. An attempt to subscribe puts me into an
>> endless loop. Is this a known problem?

It was yesterday. Exactly the same problem. However, it seems the
problem has gone away now.

More worrying for me is that I cannot see your original post. I am only
seeing this via Hibou's post.

<snip>

> I have noted the following servers at one time or another as possible
> candidates (and others that I find are now dead, such as Alphanet):
>
> <http://www.individual.net/>
> <http://news2.nemoweb.net/>
> <http://usenet.ovh/>

I use the first (News.individual.net), with E_S as 'backup'. The €10
annual charge is worth the price for the (several) inconveniences caused
by E-S over the years.

<snip>

>> If GG is the only option then I'll have to drop out of AUE, because
>> I'm finding GG to have a seriously user-unfriendly interface.

Don't do anything too hasty which we would all regret.

[Take 2 ]Re: eternal-september problem?

<kqpnhdF640bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197605&group=alt.usage.english#197605

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: [Take 2 ]Re: eternal-september problem?
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 15:35:25 +0100
 by: occam - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 14:35 UTC

On 05/11/2023 15:17, occam wrote:
> On 05/11/2023 12:41, Hibou wrote:
>> Le 05/11/2023 à 11:15, Peter Moylan a écrit :
>>>
>>> After being away for three days, I find I can no longer fetch
>>> newsgroup articles from eternal-september. An attempt to fetch asks me
>>> to give a new password. On the E-S web site, a "lost password" request
>>> doesn't send me the e-mail. An attempt to subscribe puts me into an
>>> endless loop. Is this a known problem?
>
> It was yesterday. Exactly the same problem. However, it seems the
> problem has gone away now.
>
> More worrying for me is that I cannot see your original post. I am only
> seeing this via Hibou's post.

I now understand why I could not see Peter's original post. It was made
via G2/1.0. My News.Individual.NET has blocked it, as a matter of the
(recent) policy.

> <snip>
>

>> I have noted the following servers at one time or another as possible
>> candidates (and others that I find are now dead, such as Alphanet):
>>
>> <http://www.individual.net/>
>> <http://news2.nemoweb.net/>
>> <http://usenet.ovh/>
>
> I use the first (News.individual.net), with E_S as 'backup'. The €10
> annual charge is worth the price for the (several) inconveniences caused
> by E-S over the years.
>

> <snip>
>
>>> If GG is the only option then I'll have to drop out of AUE, because
>>> I'm finding GG to have a seriously user-unfriendly interface.
>
> Don't do anything too hasty which we would all regret.

Re: eternal-september problem?

<m3wmuwdyow.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197610&group=alt.usage.english#197610

From: enometh@meer.net (Madhu)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2023 20:39:19 +0530
sha1:BpvCdy8328LOKxRj2nwHzqqvq4Y=
 by: Madhu - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 15:09 UTC

* Peter Moylan <19198a1f-b940-453b-afeb-45bc46c22fb8n@googlegroups.com> :
Wrote on Sun, 5 Nov 2023 03:15:48 -0800 (PST):

> After being away for three days, I find I can no longer fetch
> newsgroup articles from eternal-september. An attempt to fetch asks me
> to give a new password. On the E-S web site, a "lost password" request
> doesn't send me the e-mail. An attempt to subscribe puts me into an
> endless loop. Is this a known problem?

I think this was a temporary temporary problem this morning (Nov 5 2023
Indian Time ) for a few hours the authentication didn't work, but it
seems to have been silently rectified.

Re: eternal-september problem?

<1qjqnre.wiw4fssid99kN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197632&group=alt.usage.english#197632

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 21:20:38 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 20:20 UTC

Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org> wrote:

> After being away for three days, I find I can no longer fetch newsgroup
> articles from eternal-september. An attempt to fetch asks me to give a new
> password. On the E-S web site, a "lost password" request doesn't send me
> the e-mail. An attempt to subscribe puts me into an endless loop. Is this
> a known problem?

Not for me. E.S. just works. At less than full completion however.
Many GG postings are missing.

> If GG is the only option then I'll have to drop out of AUE, because I'm
> finding GG to have a seriously user-unfriendly interface.

If all else fails you can always buy a block of non-expiring credit
with a commercial usenet provider. (for a few $)
For text-only usenet it will last practically forever.

Jan

PS, if you would consider going the commercial way
you can look for the black friday offers
that they always have each year around this time.

Re: eternal-september problem?

<ui95jg$5ib9$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197642&group=alt.usage.english#197642

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 16:39:44 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 22:39 UTC

On 2023-11-05 05:15, Peter Moylan wrote:
> After being away for three days, I find I can no longer fetch newsgroup articles from eternal-september. An attempt to fetch asks me to give a new password. On the E-S web site, a "lost password" request doesn't send me the e-mail. An attempt to subscribe puts me into an endless loop. Is this a known problem?
>
> If GG is the only option then I'll have to drop out of AUE, because I'm finding GG to have a seriously user-unfriendly interface.

I had a full day of sporadic receiving and refusal to post. I think it
was two days ago. All seems OK now.

Hang in there. We would miss you.

--
Today a man knocked on my door and asked for a small donation toward
the local swimming pool. I gave him a glass of water.

Re: eternal-september problem?

<ui9age$68uq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197651&group=alt.usage.english#197651

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 11:03:23 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 00:03 UTC

On 05/11/23 22:15, Peter Moylan wrote:

> After being away for three days, I find I can no longer fetch
> newsgroup articles from eternal-september. An attempt to fetch asks
> me to give a new password. On the E-S web site, a "lost password"
> request doesn't send me the e-mail. An attempt to subscribe puts me
> into an endless loop. Is this a known problem?
>
> If GG is the only option then I'll have to drop out of AUE, because
> I'm finding GG to have a seriously user-unfriendly interface.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Indeed, it turned out to be a
transient problem, and I now have my newsfeed again. I probably
overreacted because of travel fatigue. (I spent the weekend in
Wollongong. On the return drive we accidentally specified "avoid toll
roads" to the navigator, and that turned a three-hour drive into a
six-hour drive.)

While looking for alternatives last night I looked at the

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/thread.php?group=alt.usage.english

recommended by Anton Shepelev. It was only a superficial look, but it
did appear to be a lot more user-friendly than Google Groups. Worth
considering the next time there's a glitch.

(For those scared of having their bank accounts emptied if they use a
BBS, novabbs.org seems to be based in Arizona. Can those Arizonans be
trusted?)

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: eternal-september problem?

<uia5m4$15kbo$5@solani.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197659&group=alt.usage.english#197659

From: mm+solani@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 08:47:16 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 07:47 UTC

Am 06.11.2023 um 11:03:23 Uhr schrieb Peter Moylan:

> (For those scared of having their bank accounts emptied if they use a
> BBS, novabbs.org seems to be based in Arizona. Can those Arizonans be
> trusted?)

You don't need to give them any banking information, so no risk.

Re: eternal-september problem?

<uia6e3$d6co$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197660&group=alt.usage.english#197660

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 09:00:03 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 08:00 UTC

Peter Moylan wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who responded. Indeed, it turned out to be a
> transient problem, and I now have my newsfeed again. I probably
> overreacted because of travel fatigue. (I spent the weekend in
> Wollongong. On the return drive we accidentally specified "avoid toll
> roads" to the navigator, and that turned a three-hour drive into a
> six-hour drive.)

I use Google Maps for navigation, and I keep shortcuts to places I visit
regularly. If I store the shortcut in "car-mode", the voice comes on
immediately when I activate the shortcut, and that is surprising and
thus unpleasant. Therefore I store the shortcuts in bike-mode. When I
forget that, I get directives to quite strange and often impossible
roads.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: eternal-september problem?

<uia6l8$d7hi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197661&group=alt.usage.english#197661

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 09:03:52 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 08:03 UTC

Peter Moylan wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who responded. Indeed, it turned out to be a
> transient problem, and I now have my newsfeed again. I probably
> overreacted because of travel fatigue. (I spent the weekend in
> Wollongong. On the return drive we accidentally specified "avoid toll
> roads" to the navigator, and that turned a three-hour drive into a
> six-hour drive.)

I use Google Maps for navigation, and I keep shortcuts to places I visit
regularly. If I store the shortcut in "car-mode", the voice comes on
immediately when I activate the shortcut, and that is surprising and
thus unpleasant. Therefore I store the shortcuts in bike-mode. When I
forget that, I get directives to quite strange and often impossible
roads.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: eternal-september problem?

<uia73m$d96c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197662&group=alt.usage.english#197662

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 09:11:34 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 08:11 UTC

Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:

[Something]

The double posting has to do with the hickup at ES. I truied to send,
but got the message that it wasn't possible, so I sent again.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: eternal-september problem?

<kqrpjrFh7f9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197665&group=alt.usage.english#197665

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 10:23:07 +0100
 by: occam - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 09:23 UTC

On 06/11/2023 01:03, Peter Moylan wrote:
> (I spent the weekend in
> Wollongong. On the return drive we accidentally specified "avoid toll
> roads" to the navigator, and that turned a three-hour drive into a
> six-hour drive.)

The same phenomenon exists here if you try to drive from Luxembourg to
Paris. The ubiquitous French 'péage' system of motorways means that the
moment you try and deviate from it, your journey time goes up by an
unreasonable amount.

I made the mistake once. Within 30 minutes I was back on the péage
system. Time is money.

Re: eternal-september problem?

<uiace8$dvo8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197667&group=alt.usage.english#197667

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 09:42:31 +0000
 by: Hibou - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 09:42 UTC

Le 06/11/2023 à 09:23, occam a écrit :
> On 06/11/2023 01:03, Peter Moylan wrote:
>>
>> (I spent the weekend in
>> Wollongong. On the return drive we accidentally specified "avoid toll
>> roads" to the navigator, and that turned a three-hour drive into a
>> six-hour drive.)
>
> The same phenomenon exists here if you try to drive from Luxembourg to
> Paris. The ubiquitous French 'péage' system of motorways means that the
> moment you try and deviate from it, your journey time goes up by an
> unreasonable amount.
>
> I made the mistake once. Within 30 minutes I was back on the péage
> system. Time is money.

I've read that there is a problem with some HGV drivers using car
satnavs (specialist HGV satnavs being more expensive). These, I suppose,
are the ones who demolish low bridges, or find themselves wedged between
buildings in narrow streets, or end up down lanes that diminish to
footpaths. There are videos on Youtube of such incidents, e.g.:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyHiL-wLx_E> (1m 04s)

Re: eternal-september problem?

<uiaetf$eb1v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197669&group=alt.usage.english#197669

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 21:24:47 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 10:24 UTC

On 06/11/23 18:47, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 06.11.2023 um 11:03:23 Uhr schrieb Peter Moylan:
>
>> (For those scared of having their bank accounts emptied if they use a
>> BBS, novabbs.org seems to be based in Arizona. Can those Arizonans be
>> trusted?)
>
> You don't need to give them any banking information, so no risk.

I think only one person interpreted it as a sneaky Russian scam.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: eternal-september problem?

<uiafcm$edmf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197670&group=alt.usage.english#197670

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 21:32:52 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 10:32 UTC

On 05/11/23 22:15, Peter Moylan wrote:

> After being away for three days, I find I can no longer fetch
> newsgroup articles from eternal-september. An attempt to fetch asks
> me to give a new password. On the E-S web site, a "lost password"
> request doesn't send me the e-mail. An attempt to subscribe puts me
> into an endless loop. Is this a known problem?
>
> If GG is the only option then I'll have to drop out of AUE, because
> I'm finding GG to have a seriously user-unfriendly interface.

It was a mistake using Google Groups to post that message. Now Google is
e-mailing me a copy of every message in this thread, and I can't find
the setting to disable that unfriendly behaviour. Does anyone know how
to do it?

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: eternal-september problem?

<mn.31087e7b71db8616.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197674&group=alt.usage.english#197674

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 04:24:34 -0800
 by: Snidely - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 12:24 UTC

Peter Moylan asserted that:
> On 05/11/23 22:15, Peter Moylan wrote:
>
>> After being away for three days, I find I can no longer fetch
>> newsgroup articles from eternal-september. An attempt to fetch asks
>> me to give a new password. On the E-S web site, a "lost password"
>> request doesn't send me the e-mail. An attempt to subscribe puts me
>> into an endless loop. Is this a known problem?
>>
>> If GG is the only option then I'll have to drop out of AUE, because
>> I'm finding GG to have a seriously user-unfriendly interface.
>
> It was a mistake using Google Groups to post that message. Now Google is
> e-mailing me a copy of every message in this thread, and I can't find
> the setting to disable that unfriendly behaviour. Does anyone know how
> to do it?

You have to unsubscribe from the thread. Without going and trying it
myself (past my bedtime, and I just restored my mesnews newsrc after a
power outage surprised my computer), I think it's a checkbox at the top
of the thread.

/dps

--
Yes, I have had a cucumber soda. Why do you ask?

Re: eternal-september problem?

<UOa2N.143151$PlV6.8651@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197697&group=alt.usage.english#197697

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 19:06:28 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 19:06 UTC

On 06-Nov-23 10:24, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 06/11/23 18:47, Marco Moock wrote:
>> Am 06.11.2023 um 11:03:23 Uhr schrieb Peter Moylan:
>>
>>> (For those scared of having their bank accounts emptied if they use a
>>> BBS, novabbs.org seems to be based in Arizona. Can those Arizonans be
>>> trusted?)
>>
>> You don't need to give them any banking information, so no risk.
>
> I think only one person interpreted it as a sneaky Russian scam.

But those sneaky Russians would never think of posing as Arizonans, so
it must be safe.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: eternal-september problem?

<uibojf$lad9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=197713&group=alt.usage.english#197713

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:16:14 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 22:16 UTC

On 06/11/23 23:24, Snidely wrote:
> Peter Moylan asserted that:
>> On 05/11/23 22:15, Peter Moylan wrote:
>>
>>> After being away for three days, I find I can no longer fetch
>>> newsgroup articles from eternal-september. An attempt to fetch
>>> asks me to give a new password. On the E-S web site, a "lost
>>> password" request doesn't send me the e-mail. An attempt to
>>> subscribe puts me into an endless loop. Is this a known problem?
>>>
>>> If GG is the only option then I'll have to drop out of AUE,
>>> because I'm finding GG to have a seriously user-unfriendly
>>> interface.
>>
>> It was a mistake using Google Groups to post that message. Now
>> Google is e-mailing me a copy of every message in this thread, and
>> I can't find the setting to disable that unfriendly behaviour. Does
>> anyone know how to do it?
>
> You have to unsubscribe from the thread. Without going and trying it
> myself (past my bedtime, and I just restored my mesnews newsrc after
> a power outage surprised my computer), I think it's a checkbox at the
> top of the thread.

Thanks. I tried everything I could see there, but with no luck. I guess
it will be sufficient just to wait until the thread dies a natural death.