A chronic disposition to inquiry deprives domestic felines of vital qualities.

interests / rec.games.frp.dnd / Re: Favorite Bad Modules?

SubjectAuthor
* Favorite Bad Modules?kyonshi
+* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Justisaur
|+* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?kyonshi
||`- Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Justisaur
|`* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Ubiquitous
| +- Re: Favorite Bad Modules?kyonshi
| `- Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Justisaur
+- Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Justisaur
+* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Zaghadka
|+* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?kyonshi
||`* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Zaghadka
|| `* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?kyonshi
||  `* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Zaghadka
||   `* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Justisaur
||    `- Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Zaghadka
|+* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?lkh
||`- Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Justisaur
|`* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Spalls Hurgenson
| `* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Justisaur
|  `* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Spalls Hurgenson
|   `* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Kyonshi
|    `* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Spalls Hurgenson
|     `- Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Kyonshi
`* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Ubiquitous
 `* Re: Favorite Bad Modules?kyonshi
  +- Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Ubiquitous
  +- Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Justisaur
  `- Re: Favorite Bad Modules?Spalls Hurgenson

Pages:12
Re: Favorite Bad Modules?

<uptmi0$v58i$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=181&group=rec.games.frp.dnd#181

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Favorite Bad Modules?
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 08:25:35 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:25 UTC

On 2/6/2024 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
> justisaur@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> What's a bad module? Well there's The Forest Oracle I guess, but I've
>> never run it. T2-4 I hate, but many seem to love.
>
> Which modules are those? If memory serves, only The Village of Hamlet was
> published.

The actual T1-4 was printed much later in 1985. They were never printed
seperately but all appear in this book:

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/17068/t1-4-temple-of-elemental-evil-1e

I have a copy of that version, as well as probably a couple of T1

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Favorite Bad Modules?

<uptnhu$vec9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=182&group=rec.games.frp.dnd#182

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 08:42:36 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:42 UTC

On 2/6/2024 6:29 AM, kyonshi wrote:
> On 2/6/2024 10:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>> gmkeros@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> What are your favorite bad modules? The ones that are objectively bad in
>>> one way or another, but somehow you still kind of like them for one
>>> reason or another?
>>
>> Good question!
>>
>> I cannot think of any in particular, but I hated the early Dragonlance
>> adventures because they railroaded the hell out of us.
>>
>> --
>> Let's go Brandon!
>>

> But did you like them though?
>
> (I never liked the DL series, too railroady)

Pretty much the same, I also didn't like the lack of clerics, and the
god damn hell that were Kender. One of my players convinced me to play
a Kender once, but it was basically just an excuse to fuck with the
other players. Never again.

I've had groups more recently that would probably do better with a bit
more railroading, and back in the day a number of people in my circles
said they were great. I wouldn't be quite so adverse to running them now.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Favorite Bad Modules?

<jjs7sileq8ie668iuco0ggpfhfqdq5it3m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=187&group=rec.games.frp.dnd#187

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 16:28:01 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 21:28 UTC

On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:29:39 +0100, kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2/6/2024 10:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>> gmkeros@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> What are your favorite bad modules? The ones that are objectively bad in
>>> one way or another, but somehow you still kind of like them for one
>>> reason or another?
>>
>> Good question!
>>
>> I cannot think of any in particular, but I hated the early Dragonlance
>> adventures because they railroaded the hell out of us.
>>
>> --
>> Let's go Brandon!
>>

>But did you like them though?
>
>(I never liked the DL series, too railroady)

Our group played Dragonlance and -generally - we had fun with it. It
absolutely railroaded the players, partly by demands of the plot, but
just as much because the adventure material didn't give the DM enough
to work with if he wanted to go OUTSIDE of the expected path. But,
also, I think that most players EXPECTED to play the plot.

At least our group did. We all played the game AFTER having read the
novels. Well, I don't recall for sure that EVERYONE read it, but most
of did, at least, and those who hadn't read the books probably had
been told what to expect. So none of us were really expecting to do a
free-roaming exploration of the setting; we were all willing to be
railroaded and probably assisted in it because we knew the direction
the narrative was supposed to go.

For its time, "Dragonlance" felt rather innovative and fresh for D&D.
It was rich and story and characters whereas, up to that point, a lot
of D&D adventuring was fairly charmless dungeon-crawls. This novelty,
too, made us a lot more forgiving of the campaign's flaws.

But after we finished the main quest, "Dragonlance" didn't maintain
that much of a hold on us. The setting wasn't really deep enough for
adventures outside the original epic, and official attempts to extend
the franchise all fell flat (with most adventures being along the
lines of, "You've defeated the big bad Takhisis... but now she's
back!", repeated ad infinitum). Nor does it hold up well for newer
gamers; many of the ideas it introduced are now mainstream and common,
so all people see are its flaws.

Nonetheless, you can still see the influence of our time playing
"Dragonlance" in our personal campaign (for instance, our world too
suffered a cataclysmic disaster which destroyed empires and sank a
huge chunk of the continent, and the introduction of 'new' gods was a
major part of early adventuring).