Revenge is a form of nostalgia.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

SubjectAuthor
* Google Groups closing in 2 daysMarco Moock
+* Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysRich Ulrich
|+* Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysStefan Ram
||`- Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysSnidely
|+- Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysPeter Moylan
|`* Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysMadhu
| `* Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysoccam
|  `* Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysKerr-Mudd, John
|   `* Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysBertel Lund Hansen
|    `- Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysIndira
+* Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysIndira
|+* Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysMarco Moock
||`* Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysIndira
|| `* Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysMarco Moock
||  `- Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysIndira
|`* Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysHVS
| `* Re: Google Groups closing in 2 dayslar3ryca
|  `- Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysHVS
`* Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysAdam Funk
 +* Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysHVS
 |`- Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysPeter Moylan
 +- Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysJanet
 `* AIOE - Was: Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysSilvano
  `- Re: AIOE - Was: Re: Google Groups closing in 2 daysAdam Funk

1
Google Groups closing in 2 days

<ur2161$2d7ki$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202680&group=alt.usage.english#202680

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Google Groups closing in 2 days
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 12:07:45 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 11:07 UTC

Hello!

This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
newsgroup using Google Groups.

Google will discontinue Groups in 2 days.

For those who do not know Usenet:

Usenet is a distributed communication system consisting of many servers.
Google Groups is only one of them that closes down - other servers will
stay available, but people need to use another server to read and post
here.

There are 2 alternatives:

Using a web-based Usenet interface:
Those behave similar to Google Groups, you can read there, but for
posting you need to register an account for free.

One of them is:
https://www.novabbs.com/interests/thread.php?group=alt.usage.english

Another alternative is to use an NNTP server with a so called
newsreader.

As an NNTP server, some free services exist where you have to register:
https://www.eternal-september.org/
https://solani.org/
https://www.i2pn2.org/
https://news.nntp4.net/

For using it, you need a newsreader.

Some examples are:
https://www.thunderbird.net
https://www.betterbird.eu/
https://claws-mail.org/
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/

You then need to configure a newsgroup account, sometimes also
called NNTP.

For most servers, authentication must be enforced in the newsreader's
settings.

For Thunderbird, a tutorial is available here:
https://www.big-8.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_Usenet

For questions about configuring those readers, feel free to ask in
the group news.software.readers.

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<cnj9ti1md39l50g8esas2qpnhce2lmhnfl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202685&group=alt.usage.english#202685

From: rich.ulrich@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 11:14:24 -0500
 by: Rich Ulrich - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 16:14 UTC

On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 12:07:45 +0100, Marco Moock
<mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
>newsgroup using Google Groups.
>
>Google will discontinue Groups in 2 days.

Thanks -- That looks to be thorough.

I have taken the liberty of copying your message to a couple
of groups that I still check on, though they are next to dead.

I do give you credit. Or, since I did not check out any of the
details, I HOPE that it is only credit and not blame.

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<ur2k7p$1tf49$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202688&group=alt.usage.english#202688

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:02:55 +0530
 by: Indira - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 16:32 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:

> https://news.nntp4.net/

https://news.nntp4.net/
The user login and registration will be activated on February 22, 2024.

What's wrong with paganini.bofh.team:119 (no login/password necessary)?

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<newsgroup-20240220183725@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202691&group=alt.usage.english#202691

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 20 Feb 2024 17:39:16 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 17:39 UTC

Rich Ulrich <rich.ulrich@comcast.net> writes:
>On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 12:07:45 +0100, Marco Moock
><mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
>>This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
>>newsgroup using Google Groups.
>Thanks -- That looks to be thorough.

So, it's ok to refer to the very newsgroup you post in with "that"?

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<ur2ulj$c5de$15@solani.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202694&group=alt.usage.english#202694

From: mm+solani@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 20:30:59 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 19:30 UTC

Am 20.02.2024 22:02 Uhr schrieb Indira:

> Marco Moock wrote:
>
> > https://news.nntp4.net/
>
> https://news.nntp4.net/
> The user login and registration will be activated on February 22,
> 2024.

That is new. Other servers offer registration today, see solani.org or
eternal-september.org

Ask usenet@bofh.team, maybe it is a filter rule.

--
Gruß
Marco

Spam und Werbung bitte an ichschickereklame@cartoonies.org

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<ur37gm$2n8vd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202697&group=alt.usage.english#202697

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:01:56 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:01 UTC

On 21/02/24 03:14, Rich Ulrich wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 12:07:45 +0100, Marco Moock
> <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
>> newsgroup using Google Groups.
>>
>> Google will discontinue Groups in 2 days.
>
> Thanks -- That looks to be thorough.
>
> I have taken the liberty of copying your message to a couple of
> groups that I still check on, though they are next to dead.
>
> I do give you credit. Or, since I did not check out any of the
> details, I HOPE that it is only credit and not blame.

It all looked good to me. Marco gave good advice.

I hope it reaches those Respected Regulars who would otherwise disappear.

Unfortunately, it has already reached at least one Unrespected Regular.
But I guess that's a small price to pay. One advantage of moving away
from Google Groups is that you're allowed to use killfiles.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<ur3nec$23o5a$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202702&group=alt.usage.english#202702

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 08:03:47 +0530
 by: Indira - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 02:33 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:

>> https://news.nntp4.net/
>> The user login and registration will be activated on February 22,
>> 2024.
>
> That is new. Other servers offer registration today, see solani.org or
> eternal-september.org

I understand. My only point was you can't register. Yet. :->

>> What's wrong with paganini.bofh.team:119 (no login/password
>> necessary)?
>
> Ask usenet@bofh.team, maybe it is a filter rule.

It was my fault for being too direct. Too brief. I will make up for it here
by repeating the point so that it can be made successfully.

You didn't understand, which at first puzzled me, as I was making a
rhetorical question but then I realized you took it literally.

I mean there is nothing wrong with paganini.bofh.team:119, which is the
*simplest* way for a Google Groups Groupie to get into posting because an
account isn't even needed.

All they need with the bastard operators from hell is a newsreader.
Nothing else.

My point was that it's the *simplest* possible solution.
The rhetorical question was asking you why you omitted it.

Sorry for not using English correctly because if I have to explain
then I didn't write it well - or you're not a native English speaker.

Either way, I'll rephrase as:
Q: Why didn't you add Ivo's server into the suggestions?
A: ?

The reason *that* server is the most important is because it's the
simplest, by far - because *no registration* is necessary.

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<m334tmmo9r.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202706&group=alt.usage.english#202706

From: enometh@meer.net (Madhu)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:01:28 +0530
sha1:W+/1qy90Lvk6dq8cu+OAmRN9g84=
 by: Madhu - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 04:31 UTC

There is the danger that google will decide that it can do more damage
that way and somehow rescind the decision.

But the damage is already done: I can sympathise with PTD's decision to
abstain, because (even before google was preventing him from posting
with the captcha narrative) his articles were being dropped from
eternal-september and its peers who use the same filters. Whats the
point of contributing if there is going to be censorship and your
articles aren't going to be distributed. (nevermind if the censorship is
intended ,on the face of it, or how it is implemented). The "free"
nature of usenet posting had been destroyed. I bet all of the e-s (and
related) users even now only see of Jerry Friedman's postings -- if he
was posting when there was spamming from google spammer were high the
posts got dropped.

The point is the damage to freedom is done, otoh google might as well
declare the project to be a resounding success and withdraw.

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<ur48c9$d811$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202707&group=alt.usage.english#202707

From: mm+solani@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 08:22:49 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 07:22 UTC

Am 21.02.2024 08:03 Uhr schrieb Indira:

> Either way, I'll rephrase as:
> Q: Why didn't you add Ivo's server into the suggestions?
> A: ?

There is no special reason for not listing servers. I could have listed
20.

--
Gruß
Marco

Spam und Werbung bitte an ichschickereklame@cartoonies.org

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<l3m3moFs0k2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202708&group=alt.usage.english#202708

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:04:56 +0100
 by: occam - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:04 UTC

On 21/02/2024 05:31, Madhu wrote:

> There is the danger that google will decide that it can do more damage
> that way and somehow rescind the decision.

Not well phrased, but Google may. (I doubt it.)

> But the damage is already done: I can sympathise with PTD's decision to
> abstain,

That's a very kind way of putting it. I'd put PDT's 'abstention' down to
his ineptitude in things technological.

> because (even before google was preventing him from posting
> with the captcha narrative) his articles were being dropped from
> eternal-september and its peers who use the same filters. Whats the
> point of contributing if there is going to be censorship and your
> articles aren't going to be distributed. (nevermind if the censorship is
> intended ,on the face of it, or how it is implemented). The "free"
> nature of usenet posting had been destroyed.

I disagree about 'censorship'. Nothing of the sort. Had PDT been using a
newsreader, he would not have had any problem with usenet or
eternal-september or whatever.

> I bet all of the e-s (and
> related) users even now only see of Jerry Friedman's postings -- if he
> was posting when there was spamming from google spammer were high the
> posts got dropped.

Not only Jerry. Nasty characters like the racist S K is also getting his
posts through e-s. As are others. When an organisation like Google
decide to discontinue a free service (like google groups) they are not
doing it with censorship in mind. They are doing it on the grounds of
financial viability. If they cannot see any profit in it - they'd cut
off their own right arm too.

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<20240221120852.6206a7b4bde7803238ac994c@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202709&group=alt.usage.english#202709

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:08:52 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:08 UTC

On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:04:56 +0100
occam <occam@nowhere.nix> wrote:

> On 21/02/2024 05:31, Madhu wrote:
> >
> > There is the danger that google will decide that it can do more damage
> > that way and somehow rescind the decision.
>
> Not well phrased, but Google may. (I doubt it.)
>

> > But the damage is already done: I can sympathise with PTD's decision to
> > abstain,
>
> That's a very kind way of putting it. I'd put PDT's 'abstention' down to
> his ineptitude in things technological.
>
> > because (even before google was preventing him from posting
> > with the captcha narrative) his articles were being dropped from
> > eternal-september and its peers who use the same filters. Whats the
> > point of contributing if there is going to be censorship and your
> > articles aren't going to be distributed. (nevermind if the censorship is
> > intended ,on the face of it, or how it is implemented). The "free"
> > nature of usenet posting had been destroyed.
>
> I disagree about 'censorship'. Nothing of the sort. Had PDT been using a
> newsreader, he would not have had any problem with usenet or
> eternal-september or whatever.
>

> > I bet all of the e-s (and
> > related) users even now only see of Jerry Friedman's postings -- if he
> > was posting when there was spamming from google spammer were high the
> > posts got dropped.
>
> Not only Jerry. Nasty characters like the racist S K is also getting his
> posts through e-s. As are others. []

He is? then let's lobby Mr Banana to prevent him.

Is there anything you can do to stop this racist form posting?

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 02:24:53 -0800 (PST)
From: S K <skpflex1@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: going out with a bang - snuff movie of jew soldiers

z7-20020ac87f87000000b0042c4c553fa5mr536597qtj.10.1708511093460; Wed, 21
Feb 2024 02:24:53 -0800 (PST) X-Forwarded-Encrypted: i=1;
AJvYcCXtgyOA345gwy4a4q4prmzFsle6WuJ2ocHyNgHuJIis8AJJMEVxJh6DRuqMW/IYr34eZSwswvwcrTH
+3HkiyICFgOF92zgW28k8PjGg9QzFeoA78g== X-Received: by
2002:a05:6871:799b:b0:21f:4ff4:28b8 with SMTP id
pb27-20020a056871799b00b0021f4ff428b8mr53399oac.8.1708511093177; Wed, 21
Feb 2024 02:24:53 -0800 (PST) Path: eternal-september.org!
news.eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!
border-1.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news-out.google.com!
nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!
not-for-mail Newsgroups: alt.usage.english Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 02:24:53
-0800 (PST) Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com;
posting-host=104.148.181.240;
posting-account=3T11hQoAAABNXwW6uDDOjLz7aRH6dlBv NNTP-Posting-Host:
104.148.181.240 User-Agent: G2/1.0 MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID:
<3cdbbfba-b315-461c-bb23-550452c11490n@googlegroups.com> Subject: going
out with a bang - snuff movie of jew soldiers From: S K
<skpflex1@gmail.com> Injection-Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:24:53 +0000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv5HbZYj4gk

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<q57hakx57c.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202710&group=alt.usage.english#202710

From: a24061@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:33:30 +0000
 by: Adam Funk - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:33 UTC

On 2024-02-20, Marco Moock wrote:

> As an NNTP server, some free services exist where you have to register:
> https://www.eternal-september.org/
> https://solani.org/
> https://www.i2pn2.org/
> https://news.nntp4.net/

Does anyone know what happened to aioe.org?

--
Bob Dylan knows
And I bet Alan Freed did

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<XnsB11F8512DB927whhvans@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202714&group=alt.usage.english#202714

From: office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:04:53 GMT
 by: HVS - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:04 UTC

On 20 Feb 2024, Indira wrote

> Marco Moock wrote:
>
>> https://news.nntp4.net/
>
> https://news.nntp4.net/
> The user login and registration will be activated on February 22,
> 2024.
>
> What's wrong with paganini.bofh.team:119 (no login/password
> necessary)?

(I can never see that name without this popping into my head...)

"My choir's performing Paganini's "Messiah" this year."

"You mean Handel's Messiah; it's not by Paganini."

"This one's definitely Paganini."

"Nope - it'll be Handel."

"Look, dummy: it says it RIGHT HERE, on the score: The Messiah,
Paganini."

"That's Page Nine."

(Sorry; I'll fetch me coat...)

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<XnsB11F8606A5536whhvans@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202715&group=alt.usage.english#202715

From: office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:10:31 GMT
 by: HVS - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:10 UTC

On 21 Feb 2024, Adam Funk wrote

> On 2024-02-20, Marco Moock wrote:
>
>> As an NNTP server, some free services exist where you have to
>> register: https://www.eternal-september.org/
>> https://solani.org/
>> https://www.i2pn2.org/
>> https://news.nntp4.net/
>
> Does anyone know what happened to aioe.org?

Maybe put out to pasture with too many people mistaking it for eieio?

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<MPG.40400b8498efa1ab989bd5@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202716&group=alt.usage.english#202716

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:31:24 -0000
 by: Janet - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:31 UTC

In article <q57hakx57c.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>, a24061
@ducksburg.com says...

> On 2024-02-20, Marco Moock wrote:
>
> > As an NNTP server, some free services exist where you have to register:
> > https://www.eternal-september.org/
> > https://solani.org/
> > https://www.i2pn2.org/
> > https://news.nntp4.net/
>
> Does anyone know what happened to aioe.org?

Probably crushed to death by the sheer weight of its
trolls.

Janet

AIOE - Was: Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<ur52jb$377tf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202720&group=alt.usage.english#202720

From: Silvano@noncisonopernessuno.it (Silvano)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: AIOE - Was: Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:50:19 +0100
 by: Silvano - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:50 UTC

Adam Funk hat am 21.02.2024 um 13:33 geschrieben:
> On 2024-02-20, Marco Moock wrote:
>
>> As an NNTP server, some free services exist where you have to register:
>> https://www.eternal-september.org/
>> https://solani.org/
>> https://www.i2pn2.org/
>> https://news.nntp4.net/
>
> Does anyone know what happened to aioe.org?

His owner and sole admin got seriously ill and he also had big problems
with his infrastructure, more or less at the same time.

@Janet: The owner and admin of AIOE is the only one who has ever replied
to an abuse complaint from me. He was also extremely engaged against
trolls. Did you ever try writing to abuse@aioe.org in English?

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<ur54te$37nn3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202721&group=alt.usage.english#202721

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 16:29:50 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:29 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

>> Not only Jerry. Nasty characters like the racist S K is also getting his
>> posts through e-s. As are others. []
>
> He is? then let's lobby Mr Banana to prevent him.
>
> Is there anything you can do to stop this racist form posting?

Back when the usenet server operators still listened to what serious
users wrote to them about abuse, I spent quite a lot of time trying to
shut down an abuser that made PDT and S K seem like sensible people. One
server after another cut him off. He found a new one every time. The
last on was in England, and I had some difficulty proving to the
sysadmin that the Danish messages were in violation of proper conduct.
He understood at last because a message was crossposted between a group
about politics and one about science.

The perpetrator got a new account the same day. Then I gave up.

I think that it's much harder these days.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: AIOE - Was: Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<biihakx04g.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202723&group=alt.usage.english#202723

From: a24061@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: AIOE - Was: Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:47:55 +0000
 by: Adam Funk - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:47 UTC

On 2024-02-21, Silvano wrote:

> Adam Funk hat am 21.02.2024 um 13:33 geschrieben:
>> On 2024-02-20, Marco Moock wrote:
>>
>>> As an NNTP server, some free services exist where you have to register:
>>> https://www.eternal-september.org/
>>> https://solani.org/
>>> https://www.i2pn2.org/
>>> https://news.nntp4.net/
>>
>> Does anyone know what happened to aioe.org?
>

> His owner and sole admin got seriously ill and he also had big problems
> with his infrastructure, more or less at the same time.

That explains it, thanks.

> @Janet: The owner and admin of AIOE is the only one who has ever replied
> to an abuse complaint from me. He was also extremely engaged against
> trolls. Did you ever try writing to abuse@aioe.org in English?

--
We live in capitalism. Its power seems inescapable. But then, so did
the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<ur5947$38fq3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202725&group=alt.usage.english#202725

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:41:43 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 16:41 UTC

On 2024-02-21 07:04, HVS wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2024, Indira wrote
>
>> Marco Moock wrote:
>>
>>> https://news.nntp4.net/
>>
>> https://news.nntp4.net/
>> The user login and registration will be activated on February 22,
>> 2024.
>>
>> What's wrong with paganini.bofh.team:119 (no login/password
>> necessary)?
>
> (I can never see that name without this popping into my head...)
>

> "My choir's performing Paganini's "Messiah" this year."
>
> "You mean Handel's Messiah; it's not by Paganini."
>
> "This one's definitely Paganini."
>
> "Nope - it'll be Handel."
>
> "Look, dummy: it says it RIGHT HERE, on the score: The Messiah,
> Paganini."
>
> "That's Page Nine."

My favourite Goon Show gag:

"Moriarty, what are you doing in the piano?"
"I'm hidin'!"
"Don't be silly, Haydn's been dead for years!"

--
“Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?”
—Robin Williams

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<ur5vai$3depn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202731&group=alt.usage.english#202731

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 10:00:34 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 23:00 UTC

>>> https://www.i2pn2.org/
>>> https://news.nntp4.net/
>>
>> Does anyone know what happened to aioe.org?
>
> Maybe put out to pasture with too many people mistaking it for eieio?

I once had a computer with EIA I/O.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<ur63rh$2c1en$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202732&group=alt.usage.english#202732

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 05:47:53 +0530
 by: Indira - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 00:17 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:

> There is no special reason for not listing servers.

But there is a special reason for listing the bastard operator from hell.
It's the easiest of all to set up (no login, no password, no encryption).

> I could have listed 20.

Not really. People have tried. Even you have tried. Twenty is too many.
You can list twenty, but most of what you list is special case stuff.

Like only works for Australian IP addresses.
Or only handles Spanish-language newsgroups.

You could list five though.
And you'd run out somewhere between five and ten.

But without aioe, netfront, mixmin, dizum, etc., only one will be the
easiest because Paolo, Steve and others got out of that business recently.

Which is why I had asked what's wrong with Ivo Gondalfo's bofh server
if the goal is to make it easy for Google groupies to post to Usenet.

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<ur648r$2c200$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202733&group=alt.usage.english#202733

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 05:54:58 +0530
 by: Indira - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 00:24 UTC

Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:

> I think that it's much harder these days.

Wolfgang responds to requests. I know this because he's banned people at my
request, but he asks for proof with headers so you have to know how.

One problem Wolfgang (aka Ray Banana) has is similar to the issues Steve
Crook faced, as did Jessie Rehmer and all the rest of the free server
admins, is people have different moral compasses.

Some of which are merely highly judgmental ideas of what others should
post, while others are true spamming and true trolling.

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<XnsB120939BCBC0Fwhhvans@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202756&group=alt.usage.english#202756

From: office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 14:30:37 GMT
 by: HVS - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 14:30 UTC

On 21 Feb 2024, lar3ryca wrote

> On 2024-02-21 07:04, HVS wrote:

>> "My choir's performing Paganini's "Messiah" this year."
>>
>> "You mean Handel's Messiah; it's not by Paganini."
>>
>> "This one's definitely Paganini."
>>
>> "Nope - it'll be Handel."
>>
>> "Look, dummy: it says it RIGHT HERE, on the score: The Messiah,
>> Paganini."
>>
>> "That's Page Nine."
>
> My favourite Goon Show gag:
>
> "Moriarty, what are you doing in the piano?"
> "I'm hidin'!"
> "Don't be silly, Haydn's been dead for years!"

(grin)

Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days

<mn.bc147e82535e48a5.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202812&group=alt.usage.english#202812

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 17:24:18 -0800
 by: Snidely - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:24 UTC

Stefan Ram blurted out:
> Rich Ulrich <rich.ulrich@comcast.net> writes:
>> On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 12:07:45 +0100, Marco Moock
>> <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
>>> This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
>>> newsgroup using Google Groups.
>> Thanks -- That looks to be thorough.
>
> So, it's ok to refer to the very newsgroup you post in with "that"?

Not really, but it's a minor imperfection. From my reading,
"that group" should be a more generic form: any one of "a newsgroup"
[no "that"], "newsgroups", or "any newsgroups". Or else more specific,
tas in "this group".

/dps

--
"What do you think of my cart, Miss Morland? A neat one, is not it?
Well hung: curricle-hung in fact. Come sit by me and we'll test the

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Google Groups closing in 2 days