"We will bury you." -- Nikita Kruschev

interests / alt.usage.english / Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.

`* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.Bertel Lund Hansen
 `* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.Snidely
  `* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.Indira
   +* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.Peter Moylan
   |+- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.Snidely
   |`* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.Indira
   | `* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.Bertel Lund Hansen
   |  `- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.Indira
   `* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.Bertel Lund Hansen
    `- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.Indira

<ur96uc$2le42$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202772&group=alt.usage.english#202772

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:59:01 +0530
 by: Indira - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 04:29 UTC

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english
Historical content remains viewable.

An updated web-searchable no-login web-search archive that reports a unique
URL will need to be located that allows people to search before they post
to the a.u.e newsgroup and which allows unique references to recent posts.
--
You can remove your Google Groups filters now.

<ur9m00$elat$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202777&group=alt.usage.english#202777

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:45:52 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 08:45 UTC

Indira wrote:

> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english
> Historical content remains viewable.

.... until Google decides otherwise.

--
Bertel, Denmark

<mn.b8897e826b2b75c9.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202783&group=alt.usage.english#202783

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 02:17:30 -0800
 by: Snidely - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:17 UTC

Lo, on the 2/23/2024, Bertel Lund Hansen did proclaim ...
> Indira wrote:
>
>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english
>> Historical content remains viewable.
>
> ... until Google decides otherwise.

Easier to simulate usenet with their LLM AI. That way they don't have
to hire back any humans, or beg for connections to antagonistic
servers.

/dps

--
potstickers, Japanese gyoza, Chinese dumplings, let's do it

<urath8$2pq2l$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202803&group=alt.usage.english#202803

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:30:40 +0530
 by: Indira - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 20:00 UTC

Snidely wrote:

>>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english
>>> Historical content remains viewable.
>>
>> ... until Google decides otherwise.
>
> Easier to simulate usenet with their LLM AI. That way they don't have
> to hire back any humans, or beg for connections to antagonistic
> servers.

The advantage of dejanews (which Google took over) is that it's available
to everyone, not just the Usenet cognoscenti, and it provides the full
thread (not just the Howard Knight message based on a known Message-ID),
and it requires no account, no cost, and only a web browser which means it
works for everyone on every platform, and the retention was decades, and it
only required basic search terms anyone could use and it provides a unique
URL to the article (or thread) that anyone else can read years from now to
benefit.

What we need now is a good replacement Usenet-only websearchable engine.

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.

<urb71q$pjt4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202809&group=alt.usage.english#202809

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or
subscriptions.
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:43:05 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 22:43 UTC

On 24/02/24 07:00, Indira wrote:

>>> ... until Google decides otherwise.
>>
>> Easier to simulate usenet with their LLM AI. That way they don't
>> have to hire back any humans, or beg for connections to
>> antagonistic servers.
>
> The advantage of dejanews (which Google took over) is that it's
> available to everyone, not just the Usenet cognoscenti, and it
> provides the full thread (not just the Howard Knight message based on
> a known Message-ID), and it requires no account, no cost, and only a
> web browser which means it works for everyone on every platform, and
> the retention was decades, and it only required basic search terms
> anyone could use and it provides a unique URL to the article (or
> thread) that anyone else can read years from now to benefit.
>
> What we need now is a good replacement Usenet-only websearchable
> engine.

In the last few years it was already harder to search than in the
DejaNews era. Google should hire someone who knows how to design a
search engine.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

<mn.bc257e82c0d73b73.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202815&group=alt.usage.english#202815

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 17:41:15 -0800
 by: Snidely - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:41 UTC

Friday, Peter Moylan quipped:

>>> Easier to simulate usenet with their LLM AI. That way they don't
>>> have to hire back any humans, or beg for connections to
>>> antagonistic servers.
>>
>> The advantage of dejanews (which Google took over) is that it's
>> available to everyone, not just the Usenet cognoscenti, and it
>> provides the full thread (not just the Howard Knight message based on
>> a known Message-ID), and it requires no account, no cost, and only a
>> web browser which means it works for everyone on every platform, and
>> the retention was decades, and it only required basic search terms
>> anyone could use and it provides a unique URL to the article (or
>> thread) that anyone else can read years from now to benefit.
>>
>> What we need now is a good replacement Usenet-only websearchable
>> engine.
>
> In the last few years it was already harder to search than in the
> DejaNews era. Google should hire someone who knows how to design a
> search engine.

Google is laying off. Some authors see this as "performance hacking",
which was raised to a high level at GE.

/dps

--
"It wasn't just a splash in the pan"
-- lectricbikes.com

<urbhm8$2vjnu$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202816&group=alt.usage.english#202816

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 07:14:40 +0530
 by: Indira - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:44 UTC

Peter Moylan wrote:

>> What we need now is a good replacement Usenet-only websearchable
>> engine.
>
> In the last few years it was already harder to search than in the
> DejaNews era. Google should hire someone who knows how to design a
> search engine.

David Cavion tried to write one but then he got a full-time job and he had
to put his search-engine improvements on hold, but at least it's there.
https://alt.usage.english.narkive.com

What other general purpose Usenet-only web search engines do you know of?

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.

<urc8fq$13e0c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202823&group=alt.usage.english#202823

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:13:46 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 08:13 UTC

Indira wrote:

> David Cavion tried to write one but then he got a full-time job and he had
> to put his search-engine improvements on hold, but at least it's there.
> https://alt.usage.english.narkive.com

Has it only got the groups that are listed to the right on the
frontpage?

--
Bertel, Denmark

<urc8il$13eid$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202824&group=alt.usage.english#202824

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:15:17 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 08:15 UTC

Indira wrote:

> The advantage of dejanews (which Google took over) is that it's available
> to everyone, not just the Usenet cognoscenti, and it provides the full
> thread (not just the Howard Knight message based on a known Message-ID),
> and it requires no account, no cost, and only a web browser which means it
> works for everyone on every platform, and the retention was decades, and it
> only required basic search terms anyone could use and it provides a unique
> URL to the article (or thread) that anyone else can read years from now to
> benefit.

Yes, I miss DejaNews too. A shame that we trusted Google to keep the
same service forever.

> What we need now is a good replacement Usenet-only websearchable engine.

How do we get access the entire database of all messages in all
(serious) groups?

--
Bertel, Denmark

<urd35o$31v4e$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202834&group=alt.usage.english#202834

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 21:19:12 +0530
 by: Indira - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 15:49 UTC

Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:

> Yes, I miss DejaNews too. A shame that we trusted Google to keep the
> same service forever.

There are other options but I'm not aware of all of them.
https://usenetarchives.com/
https://archive.org/details/usenethistorical

> How do we get access the entire database of all messages in all
> (serious) groups?

They've been discussing that topic for months on n.a.p. I believe.
https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.

<urd3ko$31vq5$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202835&group=alt.usage.english#202835

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 21:27:13 +0530
 by: Indira - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 15:57 UTC

Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:

>> David Cavion tried to write one but then he got a full-time job and he had
>> to put his search-engine improvements on hold, but at least it's there.
>> https://alt.usage.english.narkive.com
>
> Has it only got the groups that are listed to the right on the
> frontpage?

I never looked at the front page before you asked me to just now.
Those appear to be "Most popular categories" and not a full list.

It has every group I've ever posted to, so the answer is no.
It probably has a listing of the groups it carries somewhere.

You can find David's narkive discussion posts in the n.a.p. newsgroup.
https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/search?q=narkive%20david

Here's the thread:
https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/_w1mbwzgzs0/

And here's the post that first mentions his name (David replies later).
https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/_w1mbwzgzs0/m/dROn1pAeAgAJ

interests / alt.usage.english / Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions.