From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: toilet sign? Retrying failed posting
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 20:09:50 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 09:09 UTC

[Fresh attempt to send.]

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: toilet sign? Retrying failed posting

<uqohmq$vqd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202550&group=alt.usage.english#202550

From: HenHanna@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: toilet sign? Retrying failed posting
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 12:48:26 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 20:48 UTC

when you make a [Fresh attempt to send.] you might choose a better
SUBJ line.

On 2/15/2024 1:09 AM, Peter Moylan wrote:
> [Fresh attempt to send.]
>
> On 15/02/24 20:05, Peter Moylan wrote:
> > On 15/02/24 16:48, Rich Ulrich wrote:

> >> ... 'political pressure' -- from politicians, I hope? The term can be
> >> more general.
> >
> > Mostly from politicians, who resented the money spent on students who
> > weren't going to graduate. There might also have been some pressure from
> > the top levels of university management, but not much. Deans and
> suchlike do
> > understand that pass rates have a lot more to do with student ability
> > than with the teaching environment.
> >
> > I do concede that the transition from high school can be difficult.
> > Students are going from an environment where teachers are checking up on
> > their progress to one where they're in lectures with 200 other students,
> > and nobody is checking up on whether you turn up to the lectures or
> > study the subject content. Some of them can't handle the switch from
> > close supervision to personal responsibility.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: toilet sign? Retrying failed posting