Charlie was a chemist, But Charlie is no more. For what he thought was H2O, Was H2SO4.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: three parts drunk

SubjectAuthor
* three parts drunktonbei
+- Re: three parts drunkHenHanna
+* Re: three parts drunkPeter Moylan
|`- Re: three parts drunkJ. J. Lodder
+- Re: three parts drunkJ. J. Lodder
+* Re: three parts drunkmusika
|`* Re: three parts drunklar3ryca
| `* Re: three parts drunkHibou
|  `* Re: three parts drunkSam Plusnet
|   `- Re: three parts drunklar3ryca
`- Re: three parts drunkStefan Ram

1
three parts drunk

<f764a645-2744-4199-aaed-9bee636ace1dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202381&group=alt.usage.english#202381

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 11:55:19 -0800 (PST)
Subject: three parts drunk
From: lightstriking@gmail.com (tonbei)
 by: tonbei - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 19:55 UTC

I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.

The captain drank thirstily from the scuttlebutt; his cheeks were of course unshaven and he wore a bleary look after twelve hours in a crowded forecastle, where he had been battened down three parts drunk. ("Mr. Midshipman Hornblower" by Forester, C. S. p31)

context (or situation): 1) The captain is of a French freight ship, and it has been captured by a frigate of Great Britain,
2) The captain and his own crew have been confined in the forescastle.
3) They had been drinking when captured, and they might have been doing it in the confined space after that.
3) Hornblower, the leader of the press gang, is meeting the captive to talk with for the first time.

question: about "three parts drunk." I'm not sure what is meant by "three parts. drunk"
I guess it means "very drunk." If so, the captain was very drunk or others?

Re: three parts drunk

<uqgnu8$290b0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202385&group=alt.usage.english#202385

From: HenHanna@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: three parts drunk
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 13:45:43 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 21:45 UTC

On 2/13/2024 11:55 AM, tonbei wrote:
> I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.
>
> The captain drank thirstily from the scuttlebutt; his cheeks were of course unshaven and he wore a bleary look after twelve hours in a crowded forecastle, where he had been battened down three parts drunk. ("Mr. Midshipman Hornblower" by Forester, C. S. p31)
>
> context (or situation): 1) The captain is of a French freight ship, and it has been captured by a frigate of Great Britain,
> 2) The captain and his own crew have been confined in the forescastle.
> 3) They had been drinking when captured, and they might have been doing it in the confined space after that.
> 3) Hornblower, the leader of the press gang, is meeting the captive to talk with for the first time.
>
> question: about "three parts drunk." I'm not sure what is meant by "three parts. drunk"
> I guess it means "very drunk." If so, the captain was very drunk or others?

While not strictly sailor slang, "three parts drunk" falls into the
category of nautical-themed idioms and expressions. It uses imagery
familiar to those associated with the sea to convey a level of intoxication.

Here's why it doesn't qualify as pure sailor slang:

-- Not widely used among sailors: There are more specific and colorful
terms used by sailors to describe drunkenness, like "sea sick," "halfway
to Davy Jones," or "soused as a pickled parrot."

-- Figurative language: It uses a metaphor ("battened down") instead of
direct vocabulary, which is less common in true sailor slang.

-- Broader appeal: The expression is understandable even to people
unfamiliar with nautical terms, suggesting it's intended for a wider
audience.

Therefore, "three parts drunk" likely serves as a literary device rather
than authentic sailor slang. It paints a vivid picture for the reader
while maintaining accessibility.

Re: three parts drunk

<uqgqr9$29keg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202388&group=alt.usage.english#202388

From: peter@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:35:17 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 22:35 UTC

On 14/02/24 06:55, tonbei wrote:
> I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.
>
> The captain drank thirstily from the scuttlebutt; his cheeks were of course unshaven and he wore a bleary look after twelve hours in a crowded forecastle, where he had been battened down three parts drunk. ("Mr. Midshipman Hornblower" by Forester, C. S. p31)
>
> context (or situation): 1) The captain is of a French freight ship, and it has been captured by a frigate of Great Britain,
> 2) The captain and his own crew have been confined in the forescastle.
> 3) They had been drinking when captured, and they might have been doing it in the confined space after that.
> 3) Hornblower, the leader of the press gang, is meeting the captive to talk with for the first time.
>
> question: about "three parts drunk." I'm not sure what is meant by
> "three parts. drunk" I guess it means "very drunk." If so, the
> captain was very drunk or others?

"Three parts" specifies a fraction without mentioning the denominator.
In this case the implied denominator is 4. If it had been "nine parts
drunk" the implied denominator would be 10.

Of course mathematical accuracy doesn't make much sense in this context.
Both phrases really mean "very drunk". The captain was very drunk.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: three parts drunk

<1qow2rv.1yzq7t7bvw8ltN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202390&group=alt.usage.english#202390

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:38:53 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 22:38 UTC

tonbei <lightstriking@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.
>
> The captain drank thirstily from the scuttlebutt; his cheeks were of
> course unshaven and he wore a bleary look after twelve hours in a crowded
> forecastle, where he had been battened down three parts drunk. ("Mr.
> Midshipman Hornblower" by Forester, C. S. p31)
>
> context (or situation):
> 1) The captain is of a French freight ship, and it has been captured by a
> frigate of Great Britain,
> 2) The captain and his own crew have been confined in the forescastle.
> 3) They had been drinking when captured, and they might have been doing it in
> the confined space after that.
> 3) Hornblower, the leader of the press gang, is meeting the captive to talk
> with for the first time.

A press gang is an armed group of sailors and/or marines going on land
to capture able man for involuntary crew of the warship they are from.
This is not the case here.
Hornblower is acting as 'prize master', a temporary command,
with orders to take control of the captured ship,
with some sailors, and to sail her to an English harbour.
(while keeping the French crew prisoners on their own ship)

The prize is to be sold, with the proceeds going to the admiralty,
the captain who captured it, the officers, the sailors, and so on,
according to a well-defined formula.

> question: about "three parts drunk." I'm not sure what is meant by "three
> parts. drunk" I guess it means "very drunk." If so, the captain was very
> drunk or others?

Certainly not very drunk. The captain has had a lot of drink,
but not so much that he is anywhere near incapacitated.
Hornblower can still have a rational conversation with him.

Jan

Re: three parts drunk

<uqguod$2a8br$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202396&group=alt.usage.english#202396

From: mUs1Ka@NOSPAMexcite.com (musika)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:42:03 +0000
 by: musika - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:42 UTC

On 13/02/2024 19:55, tonbei wrote:
> I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.
>
> The captain drank thirstily from the scuttlebutt; his cheeks were of course unshaven and he wore a bleary look after twelve hours in a crowded forecastle, where he had been battened down three parts drunk. ("Mr. Midshipman Hornblower" by Forester, C. S. p31)
>
> context (or situation): 1) The captain is of a French freight ship, and it has been captured by a frigate of Great Britain,
> 2) The captain and his own crew have been confined in the forescastle.
> 3) They had been drinking when captured, and they might have been doing it in the confined space after that.
> 3) Hornblower, the leader of the press gang, is meeting the captive to talk with for the first time.
>
> question: about "three parts drunk." I'm not sure what is meant by "three parts. drunk"
> I guess it means "very drunk." If so, the captain was very drunk or others?

3 quarters drunk - it is not meant to be accurate.
Hornblower was not the leader of a "press gang". He was leader of the
"prize crew".

--
Ray
UK

Re: three parts drunk

<uqhgp5$2gl2f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202400&group=alt.usage.english#202400

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 22:49:41 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:49 UTC

On 2024-02-13 17:42, musika wrote:
> On 13/02/2024 19:55, tonbei wrote:
>> I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.
>>
>> The captain drank thirstily from the scuttlebutt; his cheeks were of
>> course unshaven and he wore a bleary look after twelve hours in a
>> crowded forecastle, where he had been battened down three parts drunk.
>> ("Mr. Midshipman Hornblower" by Forester, C. S. p31)
>>
>> context (or situation):  1) The captain is of a French freight ship,
>> and it has been  captured by a frigate of Great Britain,
>> 2) The captain and his own crew have been confined in the forescastle.
>> 3) They had been drinking when captured, and they might have been
>> doing it in the confined space after that.
>> 3) Hornblower, the leader of the press gang, is meeting the captive to
>> talk with for the first time.
>>
>> question: about "three parts drunk." I'm not sure what is meant by
>> "three parts. drunk"
>> I guess it means "very drunk." If so, the captain was very drunk or
>> others?
>>
> 3 quarters drunk - it is not meant to be accurate.
> Hornblower was not the leader of a "press gang". He was leader of the
> "prize crew".

The first thing that came to mind was "three sheets to the wind".

--
Chris: Hey can I borrow a ten?
Kristen: Sure.

Re: three parts drunk

<uqhtur$2ifsq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202408&group=alt.usage.english#202408

From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:34:34 +0000
 by: Hibou - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:34 UTC

Le 14/02/2024 à 04:49, lar3ryca a écrit :
> On 2024-02-13 17:42, musika wrote:
>> On 13/02/2024 19:55, tonbei wrote:
>>>
>>> question: about "three parts drunk." I'm not sure what is meant by
>>> "three parts. drunk"
>>> I guess it means "very drunk." If so, the captain was very drunk or
>>> others?
>>
>> 3 quarters drunk - it is not meant to be accurate.
>> Hornblower was not the leader of a "press gang". He was leader of the
>> "prize crew".
>
> The first thing that came to mind was "three sheets to the wind".

A sailor who was three sheets to the wind might be wise to take in a
reef or two.

Re: three parts drunk

<three-20240214093949@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202410&group=alt.usage.english#202410

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 14 Feb 2024 08:40:22 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:40 UTC

tonbei <lightstriking@gmail.com> quoted:
> where he had been battened down three parts drunk.

A "scuttlebutt" is a cask where sailors could get water.

The use of "three" in this expression is a traditional way of
emphasizing a high level of drunkenness, the origin is not known.

Re: three parts drunk

<1qox0n1.hwdawqmcjbhxN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202414&group=alt.usage.english#202414

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 13:09:04 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 12:09 UTC

Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> On 14/02/24 06:55, tonbei wrote:
> > I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.
> >
> > The captain drank thirstily from the scuttlebutt; his cheeks were of
> >course unshaven and he wore a bleary look after twelve hours in a crowded
> >forecastle, where he had been battened down three parts drunk. ("Mr.
> >Midshipman Hornblower" by Forester, C. S. p31)
> >
> > context (or situation): 1) The captain is of a French freight ship, and
> > it has been captured by a frigate of Great Britain, 2) The captain and
> > his own crew have been confined in the forescastle. 3) They had been
> > drinking when captured, and they might have been doing it in the
> > confined space after that. 3) Hornblower, the leader of the press gang,
> > is meeting the captive to talk with for the first time.
> >
> > question: about "three parts drunk." I'm not sure what is meant by
> > "three parts. drunk" I guess it means "very drunk." If so, the captain
> > was very drunk or others?
>
> "Three parts" specifies a fraction without mentioning the denominator.
> In this case the implied denominator is 4. If it had been "nine parts
> drunk" the implied denominator would be 10.
>
> Of course mathematical accuracy doesn't make much sense in this context.
> Both phrases really mean "very drunk". The captain was very drunk.

Not really. That 'drunken' captain understands what is going wrong,
while Hornblower does not. (and he loses the ship, in consequence)

Jan

Re: three parts drunk

<1D9zN.113185$c1y8.101308@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202439&group=alt.usage.english#202439

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:44:45 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:44 UTC

On 14-Feb-24 8:34, Hibou wrote:
> Le 14/02/2024 à 04:49, lar3ryca a écrit :

>>> 3 quarters drunk - it is not meant to be accurate.
>>> Hornblower was not the leader of a "press gang". He was leader of the
>>> "prize crew".
>>
>> The first thing that came to mind was "three sheets to the wind".
>
> A sailor who was three sheets to the wind might be wise to take in a
> reef or two.

Lest he be marooned on one.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: three parts drunk

<uqlr3b$3etds$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202509&group=alt.usage.english#202509

From: larry@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:10:19 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 20:10 UTC

On 2024-02-14 14:44, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 14-Feb-24 8:34, Hibou wrote:

>>> The first thing that came to mind was "three sheets to the wind".
>>
>> A sailor who was three sheets to the wind might be wise to take in a
>> reef or two.
>>
> Lest he be marooned on one.

A ship carrying blue paint collided with a ship carrying red paint.
The crew were all marooned.

--
"Your waffle iron isn't working, dear!"
"Please stay away from my laptop, grandma!"

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: three parts drunk