Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword.

interests / alt.usage.english / Nightingale courts

SubjectAuthor
* Nightingale courtsoccam
`* Re: Nightingale courtsSam Plusnet
 `* Re: Nightingale courtsKerr-Mudd, John
  +* Re: Nightingale courtsSam Plusnet
  |`* Re: Nightingale courtsKerr-Mudd, John
  | `- Re: Nightingale courtsPhil
  `- Re: Nightingale courtsJanet

1
Nightingale courts

<l33e2vFh936U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202411&group=alt.usage.english#202411

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Nightingale courts
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 10:05:34 +0100
 by: occam - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:05 UTC

I heard the expression 'Nightingale courts' several times on BBC Radio
this morning. My mind conjured up a variant of kangaroo courts, and all
the negative connotations that go with that.

Nothing of the sort. It turns out there is an official (UK) government
definition of the term. It is a relatively new designation, arising out
of the COVID-19 pandemic:

<https://www.gov.uk/guidance/courts-and-tribunals-additional-capacity-during-coronavirus-outbreak-nightingale-courts>

Wikipedia says:
"The term for the temporary courts is derived from the establishment of
temporary hospitals to house the surplus of patients created by the
COVID-19 pandemic, the first being NHS Nightingale in Canning Town, East
London. The hospital is named after the nursing pioneer Florence
Nightingale."

I have no [AUE] question, just a prediction. Those who are keen on pub
quizzes (BrE), expect this to pop up as question in the near future.

Re: Nightingale courts

<7P9zN.113187$c1y8.11641@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202441&group=alt.usage.english#202441

Subject: Re: Nightingale courts
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:57:39 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:57 UTC

On 14-Feb-24 9:05, occam wrote:
> I heard the expression 'Nightingale courts' several times on BBC Radio
> this morning. My mind conjured up a variant of kangaroo courts, and all
> the negative connotations that go with that.
>
> Nothing of the sort. It turns out there is an official (UK) government
> definition of the term. It is a relatively new designation, arising out
> of the COVID-19 pandemic:
>
> <https://www.gov.uk/guidance/courts-and-tribunals-additional-capacity-during-coronavirus-outbreak-nightingale-courts>
>

> Wikipedia says:
> "The term for the temporary courts is derived from the establishment of
> temporary hospitals to house the surplus of patients created by the
> COVID-19 pandemic, the first being NHS Nightingale in Canning Town, East
> London. The hospital is named after the nursing pioneer Florence
> Nightingale."
>
> I have no [AUE] question, just a prediction. Those who are keen on pub
> quizzes (BrE), expect this to pop up as question in the near future.

It sounds like the address being given to some new-build houses.

"Nightingale Court".

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Nightingale courts

<20240214204706.9bd99cb9b58aadbb75f8afb0@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202443&group=alt.usage.english#202443

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:47:06 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:47 UTC

On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:57:39 +0000
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> On 14-Feb-24 9:05, occam wrote:
> > I heard the expression 'Nightingale courts' several times on BBC Radio
> > this morning. My mind conjured up a variant of kangaroo courts, and all
> > the negative connotations that go with that.
> >
> > Nothing of the sort. It turns out there is an official (UK) government
> > definition of the term. It is a relatively new designation, arising out
> > of the COVID-19 pandemic:
> >
> > <https://www.gov.uk/guidance/courts-and-tribunals-additional-capacity-during-coronavirus-outbreak-nightingale-courts>
> >

> > Wikipedia says:
> > "The term for the temporary courts is derived from the establishment of
> > temporary hospitals to house the surplus of patients created by the
> > COVID-19 pandemic, the first being NHS Nightingale in Canning Town, East
> > London. The hospital is named after the nursing pioneer Florence
> > Nightingale."
> >
> > I have no [AUE] question, just a prediction. Those who are keen on pub
> > quizzes (BrE), expect this to pop up as question in the near future.
>
> It sounds like the address being given to some new-build houses.
>
> "Nightingale Court".

That was my first goov on reading it - there's one at the bus stop for
Tredegar House, IIRC. Not that new.

Yup
https://maps.app.goo.gl/zMRPhXfoPKeJ4WBr5

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Nightingale courts

<5fezN.20356$idBb.6797@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202457&group=alt.usage.english#202457

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 02:00:33 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 02:00 UTC

On 14-Feb-24 20:47, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:57:39 +0000
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>> On 14-Feb-24 9:05, occam wrote:
>>> I heard the expression 'Nightingale courts' several times on BBC Radio
>>> this morning. My mind conjured up a variant of kangaroo courts, and all
>>> the negative connotations that go with that.
>>>
>>> Nothing of the sort. It turns out there is an official (UK) government
>>> definition of the term. It is a relatively new designation, arising out
>>> of the COVID-19 pandemic:
>>>
>>> <https://www.gov.uk/guidance/courts-and-tribunals-additional-capacity-during-coronavirus-outbreak-nightingale-courts>
>>>

>>> Wikipedia says:
>>> "The term for the temporary courts is derived from the establishment of
>>> temporary hospitals to house the surplus of patients created by the
>>> COVID-19 pandemic, the first being NHS Nightingale in Canning Town, East
>>> London. The hospital is named after the nursing pioneer Florence
>>> Nightingale."
>>>
>>> I have no [AUE] question, just a prediction. Those who are keen on pub
>>> quizzes (BrE), expect this to pop up as question in the near future.
>>
>> It sounds like the address being given to some new-build houses.
>>
>> "Nightingale Court".
>>
> That was my first goov on reading it - there's one at the bus stop for
> Tredegar House, IIRC. Not that new.
>
> Yup
> https://maps.app.goo.gl/zMRPhXfoPKeJ4WBr5

Not new perhaps, but I don't recall seeing it when I worked in that area
in... Grief! Was it _that_ long ago?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Nightingale courts

<20240215110851.01a6eb426218e582983c4abc@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202476&group=alt.usage.english#202476

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 11:08:51 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 11:08 UTC

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 02:00:33 +0000
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> On 14-Feb-24 20:47, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:57:39 +0000
> > Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> >> It sounds like the address being given to some new-build houses.
> >>
> >> "Nightingale Court".
> >>
> > That was my first goov on reading it - there's one at the bus stop for
> > Tredegar House, IIRC. Not that new.
> >
> > Yup
> > https://maps.app.goo.gl/zMRPhXfoPKeJ4WBr5
> >
> Not new perhaps, but I don't recall seeing it when I worked in that area
> in... Grief! Was it _that_ long ago?

I noticed last night that just about all the TV we wwatch is old or
period, or both - it's 20 years since Nick Berry (not the rugby referee)
left Heartbeat. I seem to keep not watching 'celebrity married at first
lego build on ice', despite all the adverts.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Nightingale courts

<uqkt0m$39nft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202482&group=alt.usage.english#202482

From: phil@anonymous.invalid (Phil)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 11:36:54 +0000
 by: Phil - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 11:36 UTC

On 15/02/2024 11:08, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 02:00:33 +0000
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>> On 14-Feb-24 20:47, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

>>> That was my first goov on reading it - there's one at the bus stop for
>>> Tredegar House, IIRC. Not that new.
>>>
>>> Yup
>>> https://maps.app.goo.gl/zMRPhXfoPKeJ4WBr5
>>>
>> Not new perhaps, but I don't recall seeing it when I worked in that area
>> in... Grief! Was it _that_ long ago?
>>
> I noticed last night that just about all the TV we wwatch is old or
> period, or both - it's 20 years since Nick Berry (not the rugby referee)
> left Heartbeat. I seem to keep not watching 'celebrity married at first
> lego build on ice', despite all the adverts.

Monkey Tennis

--
Phil B

Re: Nightingale courts

<MPG.40380d88e20eba9f989bcb@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=202485&group=alt.usage.english#202485

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 12:01:50 -0000
 by: Janet - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 12:01 UTC

In article <20240214204706.9bd99cb9b58aadbb75f8afb0@
127.0.0.1>, admin@127.0.0.1 says...

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:57:39 +0000
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
> > On 14-Feb-24 9:05, occam wrote:
> > > I heard the expression 'Nightingale courts' several times on BBC Radio
> > > this morning. My mind conjured up a variant of kangaroo courts, and all
> > > the negative connotations that go with that.
> > >
> > > Nothing of the sort. It turns out there is an official (UK) government
> > > definition of the term. It is a relatively new designation, arising out
> > > of the COVID-19 pandemic:
> > >
> > > <https://www.gov.uk/guidance/courts-and-tribunals-additional-capacity-during-coronavirus-outbreak-nightingale-courts>
> > >

> > > Wikipedia says:
> > > "The term for the temporary courts is derived from the establishment of
> > > temporary hospitals to house the surplus of patients created by the
> > > COVID-19 pandemic, the first being NHS Nightingale in Canning Town, East
> > > London. The hospital is named after the nursing pioneer Florence
> > > Nightingale."
> > >
> > > I have no [AUE] question, just a prediction. Those who are keen on pub
> > > quizzes (BrE), expect this to pop up as question in the near future.
> >
> > It sounds like the address being given to some new-build houses.
> >
> > "Nightingale Court".

AFAIK Scotland's separate legal system didn't have
Nightingale Courts during covid.

Glasgows older Victorian hospitals used to have
"Nightingale Wards".. huge, containing rows of at least 12
beds down each side.Noisy but companionable for patients,
good visibility for nurses, but a risk for cross infection
by careless nursing (as I found out the hard way).

My children and I have all been nursed in them before and
after surgery (and childbirth) so it's not that long since
they disappeared .

Until Covid, when "Nightingale Hospitals" were huuriedly
set up to provide mass care for infected patients when
regular hospitals were full. They were not all used.
AFAIK the covid "nightingale Hospital" set up in
Glasgow's conference centre, is gone now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHS_Louisa_Jordan

Janet

interests / alt.usage.english / Nightingale courts