From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Jehovah's cookies
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 11:54:01 +0100
 by: occam - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 10:54 UTC

When you access a site from a country whose native language is not
English, your phone / browser assumes you want your searches in the
native language of the country.

Browsing on my mobile today, I discovered a new French term for
'cookies'. 'Témoins' is literally 'witnesses' in French.

I wondered if some online translator, somewhere, is translating 'Témoins
de Jéhovah' as "Jehovah's cookies".

Re: Jehovah's cookies

<ktj0m5F42tpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=199868&group=alt.usage.english#199868

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Jehovah's cookies
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 12:17:23 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 11:17 UTC

On 2023-12-09 10:54:01 +0000, occam said:

> When you access a site from a country whose native language is not
> English, your phone / browser assumes you want your searches in the
> native language of the country.
>
> Browsing on my mobile today, I discovered a new French term for
> 'cookies'. 'Témoins' is literally 'witnesses' in French.
>
> I wondered if some online translator, somewhere, is translating 'Témoins
> de Jéhovah' as "Jehovah's cookies".

The other night we watched a film called Les Galettes de Pont-Aven: not
a great name, but the Engish name, Cookies, was a hundred times worse.
I was surprised that it was shown in the USA at all, as it went far
beyond ordinary American notions of decency.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Jehovah's cookies