From: vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Mathematics, reading skills in unprecedented decline in teenagers
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 09:35:36 +0000
 by: Hibou - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 09:35 UTC

Le 07/12/2023 à 08:35, occam a écrit :
> On 07/12/2023 09:11, Peter Moylan wrote:
>> On 07/12/23 17:31, useapen wrote:
>>
>>> PARIS, Dec 5 (Reuters) - Teenagers' mathematics and reading skills
>>> are in an unprecedented decline across dozens of countries and COVID
>>> school closures are only partly to be blamed, the OECD said on
>>> Tuesday in its latest survey of global learning standards.
>>>
>>> The Paris-based Organisation for Economic Cooperation and
>>> Development said it had seen some of the steepest drops in
>>> performance since 2000 when it began its usually triennial tests of
>>> 15-year-olds reading, maths and science skills.
>>
>> Here, this was reported as that Australia was back in the top 10. Then it
>> was admitted that this was not because Australian results improved, but
>> because so many other countries had gone even further backwards.
>>
>> See, you can turn any news into good news if you find the right angle.
>
> The Reuters article is based on the PISA report 2022.
>
> https://www.oecd.org/publication/pisa-2022-results#pisa2022results
>
> I cannot find Australia on the league table.
>
> Luxembourg, despite its very highly paid state teachers, is also missing
> from the list. (We historically appear at the lower end of the table.)

[This to aue only.]

I hope they don't want to test my writing skills - which on an Android
keyboard are rubbish, since my thumbs - like most people's - cover
several keys, and it's hard to find their electrical centre.

But then, a five or six inch screen - bah! - that's keyhole surgery.
Give me a desktop PC.

Or a fountain pen. Refillable, green, easy to push over the paper (no
ball to roll)... and, with the light in the right direction, it's
pleasing to watch the ink changing from shiny wet to matt black....

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Mathematics, reading skills in unprecedented decline in teenagers