Lay off the muses, it's a very tough dollar. -- S. J. Perelman

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Obsolete verbs?

SubjectAuthor
* Obsolete verbs?Steve Hayes
+* Re: Obsolete verbs?Athel Cornish-Bowden
|`* Re: Obsolete verbs?Snidely
| `- Re: Obsolete verbs?Athel Cornish-Bowden
`* Re: Obsolete verbs?occam
 +- Re: Obsolete verbs?Bertel Lund Hansen
 `* Re: Obsolete verbs?Ed Cryer
  `* Re: Obsolete verbs?occam
   `* Re: Obsolete verbs?Ed Cryer
    +- Re: Obsolete verbs?occam
    +* Re: Obsolete verbs?Bertel Lund Hansen
    |`* Re: Obsolete verbs?Anton Shepelev
    | `* Re: Obsolete verbs?Bertel Lund Hansen
    |  `* Re: Obsolete verbs?Anton Shepelev
    |   `* Re: Obsolete verbs?Kerr-Mudd, John
    |    `- Re: Obsolete verbs?Bertel Lund Hansen
    `* Re: Obsolete verbs?Kerr-Mudd, John
     +- Re: Obsolete verbs?Silvano
     `* Re: Obsolete verbs?Bertel Lund Hansen
      `- Re: Obsolete verbs?Mark Brader

1
Obsolete verbs?

<f4a1li14qkkp43599q0ok7sd1vqib90d12@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198106&group=alt.usage.english#198106

From: hayesstw@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Subject: Obsolete verbs?
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 12:27:46 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 10:27 UTC

The noun "recreation" is still in use, but the verb seems to have
dropped out of everyday usage.

I was reminded of this when I read this snippet from the "Carlisle
Patriot" of 2 centuries ago:

"Sir Abraham Bradley KING, Bart. (whose examination before the Commons
excited so much attention,) is now recreating himself amid the lovely
scenery of Ullswater, having taken up his residence for a short period
with his son-in-law, Capt COLUMB."

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<krbnroFcvcfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198107&group=alt.usage.english#198107

From: athel.cb@gmail.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Obsolete verbs?
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 11:31:20 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 10:31 UTC

On 2023-11-12 10:27:46 +0000, Steve Hayes said:

> The noun "recreation" is still in use, but the verb seems to have
> dropped out of everyday usage.
>
> I was reminded of this when I read this snippet from the "Carlisle
> Patriot" of 2 centuries ago:
>
> "Sir Abraham Bradley KING, Bart. (whose examination before the Commons
> excited so much attention,) is now recreating himself amid the lovely
> scenery of Ullswater, having taken up his residence for a short period
> with his son-in-law, Capt COLUMB."

Written down it sends the reader on a false trail by suggesting
recreation. Spoken, however, it seems quite normal and ordinary.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<mn.6bc97e7bbd0b67a5.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198192&group=alt.usage.english#198192

From: snidely.too@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 16:09:26 -0800
 by: Snidely - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 00:09 UTC

Athel Cornish-Bowden speculated:
> On 2023-11-12 10:27:46 +0000, Steve Hayes said:
>
>> The noun "recreation" is still in use, but the verb seems to have
>> dropped out of everyday usage.
>>
>> I was reminded of this when I read this snippet from the "Carlisle
>> Patriot" of 2 centuries ago:
>>
>> "Sir Abraham Bradley KING, Bart. (whose examination before the Commons
>> excited so much attention,) is now recreating himself amid the lovely
>> scenery of Ullswater, having taken up his residence for a short period
>> with his son-in-law, Capt COLUMB."
>
> Written down it sends the reader on a false trail by suggesting recreation.
> Spoken, however, it seems quite normal and ordinary.

wreck vs reek?

/dps "not suggested as a value judgement"

--
Ieri, oggi, domani

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<krgo4bFa8csU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198198&group=alt.usage.english#198198

From: athel.cb@gmail.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 09:06:35 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 08:06 UTC

On 2023-11-14 00:09:26 +0000, Snidely said:

> Athel Cornish-Bowden speculated:
>> On 2023-11-12 10:27:46 +0000, Steve Hayes said:
>>
>>> The noun "recreation" is still in use, but the verb seems to have
>>> dropped out of everyday usage.
>>>
>>> I was reminded of this when I read this snippet from the "Carlisle
>>> Patriot" of 2 centuries ago:
>>>
>>> "Sir Abraham Bradley KING, Bart. (whose examination before the Commons
>>> excited so much attention,) is now recreating himself amid the lovely
>>> scenery of Ullswater, having taken up his residence for a short period
>>> with his son-in-law, Capt COLUMB."
>>
>> Written down it sends the reader on a false trail by suggesting
>> recreation. Spoken, however, it seems quite normal and ordinary.
>
> wreck vs reek?

Yes

> /dps "not suggested as a value judgement"

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<uivajr$15hgh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198200&group=alt.usage.english#198200

From: occam@erewhon.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 09:20:11 +0100
 by: occam - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 08:20 UTC

On 12/11/2023 11:27, Steve Hayes wrote:
> The noun "recreation" is still in use, but the verb seems to have
> dropped out of everyday usage.
>
> I was reminded of this when I read this snippet from the "Carlisle
> Patriot" of *2 centuries ago*:

Say no more.

> "Sir Abraham Bradley KING, Bart. (whose examination before the Commons
> excited so much attention,) is now recreating himself amid the lovely
> scenery of Ullswater, having taken up his residence for a short period
> with his son-in-law, Capt COLUMB."

I agree, it looks as odd in written form as it would in spoken language.
Positively archaic.

'Recreating himself' sounds like something a pop-star would do these
days - by 're-inventing' his image.

As an adjective and a noun, however, 'recreational' is very much in use.
'Recreational use of drugs' is a common euphemism for the consumption of
illegal drugs.

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<uivef1$166bg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198204&group=alt.usage.english#198204

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 10:25:53 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 09:25 UTC

occam wrote:

> 'Recreating himself' sounds like something a pop-star would do these
> days - by 're-inventing' his image.
>
> As an adjective and a noun, however, 'recreational' is very much in use.
> 'Recreational use of drugs' is a common euphemism for the consumption of
> illegal drugs.

.... by "nice" people. "Real" criminals are described with less pleasant
words.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ujivsp$ur9t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198856&group=alt.usage.english#198856

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 19:19:27 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 19:19 UTC

occam wrote:
> On 12/11/2023 11:27, Steve Hayes wrote:
>> The noun "recreation" is still in use, but the verb seems to have
>> dropped out of everyday usage.
>>
>> I was reminded of this when I read this snippet from the "Carlisle
>> Patriot" of *2 centuries ago*:
>
> Say no more.
>

>> "Sir Abraham Bradley KING, Bart. (whose examination before the Commons
>> excited so much attention,) is now recreating himself amid the lovely
>> scenery of Ullswater, having taken up his residence for a short period
>> with his son-in-law, Capt COLUMB."
>>

> I agree, it looks as odd in written form as it would in spoken language.
> Positively archaic.
>
> 'Recreating himself' sounds like something a pop-star would do these
> days - by 're-inventing' his image.
>
> As an adjective and a noun, however, 'recreational' is very much in use.
> 'Recreational use of drugs' is a common euphemism for the consumption of
> illegal drugs.

Hiking on the moors is also "recreational". As is playing chess or bowls.
Your drugs have their social niche, but so do my activities.

Ed

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ks5u16FbejhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198879&group=alt.usage.english#198879

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 09:56:05 +0100
 by: occam - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 08:56 UTC

On 21/11/2023 20:19, Ed Cryer wrote:
> occam wrote:
>> On 12/11/2023 11:27, Steve Hayes wrote:
>>> The noun "recreation" is still in use, but the verb seems to have
>>> dropped out of everyday usage.
>>>
>>> I was reminded of this when I read this snippet from the "Carlisle
>>> Patriot" of *2 centuries ago*:
>>
>> Say no more.
>>

>>> "Sir Abraham Bradley KING, Bart. (whose examination before the Commons
>>> excited so much attention,) is now recreating himself amid the lovely
>>> scenery of Ullswater, having taken up his residence for a short period
>>> with his son-in-law, Capt COLUMB."
>>>

>> I agree, it looks as odd in written form as it would in spoken language.
>> Positively archaic.
>>
>> 'Recreating himself' sounds like something a pop-star would do these
>> days - by 're-inventing' his image.
>>
>> As an adjective and a noun, however, 'recreational' is very much in use.
>> 'Recreational use of drugs' is a common euphemism for the consumption of
>> illegal drugs.
>
> Hiking on the moors is also "recreational". As is playing chess or bowls.
> Your drugs have their social niche, but so do my activities.

I agree. However I am willing to wager top dollar that 'recreational
drugs' would top the league of recreational activities compared to e.g.
bowls. If anything, bowling is more of a 'niche' activity than is
recreational drug taking.

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ujkrkp$1atk9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198888&group=alt.usage.english#198888

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 12:18:33 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 12:18 UTC

occam wrote:
> On 21/11/2023 20:19, Ed Cryer wrote:
>> occam wrote:

>>> Say no more.

>>> I agree, it looks as odd in written form as it would in spoken language.
>>> Positively archaic.
>>>
>>> 'Recreating himself' sounds like something a pop-star would do these
>>> days - by 're-inventing' his image.
>>>
>>> As an adjective and a noun, however, 'recreational' is very much in use.
>>> 'Recreational use of drugs' is a common euphemism for the consumption of
>>> illegal drugs.
>>
>> Hiking on the moors is also "recreational". As is playing chess or bowls.
>> Your drugs have their social niche, but so do my activities.
>>

> I agree. However I am willing to wager top dollar that 'recreational
> drugs' would top the league of recreational activities compared to e.g.
> bowls. If anything, bowling is more of a 'niche' activity than is
> recreational drug taking.

I suppose it varies from country to country.
In the UK where I live fishing has always topped the list of favourite
recreational activities.
Behind that I'd place things like;
Gardening
Online Gaming
Food & Drink at restaurants and pubs.

Ed

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ks6brdFfgpbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198891&group=alt.usage.english#198891

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 13:51:56 +0100
 by: occam - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 12:51 UTC

On 22/11/2023 13:18, Ed Cryer wrote:
> occam wrote:

>>> Hiking on the moors is also "recreational". As is playing chess or
>>> bowls.
>>> Your drugs have their social niche, but so do my activities.
>>>

>> I agree. However I am willing to wager top dollar that 'recreational
>> drugs' would top the league of recreational activities compared to e.g.
>> bowls. If anything, bowling is more of a 'niche' activity than is
>> recreational drug taking.
>>

> I suppose it varies from country to country.
> In the UK where I live fishing has always topped the list of favourite
> recreational activities.
> Behind that I'd place things like;
> Gardening
> Online Gaming
> Food & Drink at restaurants and pubs.

Er... Ed, you should know that those are activities which people freely
admit to. My first-on-the-list recreational activity is not something
people admit to. Neither young nor old.

Let's revisit the issue when soft drugs become officially legalised in
the UK.

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ujl28n$1bub4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198896&group=alt.usage.english#198896

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:12:39 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 14:12 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:

> I suppose it varies from country to country.
> In the UK where I live fishing has always topped the list of favourite
> recreational activities.
> Behind that I'd place things like;
> Gardening
> Online Gaming
> Food & Drink at restaurants and pubs.

https://www.statista.com/topics/8281/video-gamer-demographics-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/#topicOverview

The United Kingdom (UK) is one of the biggest gaming markets in
Europe. Video games are a popular entertainment option and the number
of video game users in the UK is projected to reach 57.56 million in
2027, up from 51.21 million gamers in 2023

https://www.statista.com/statistics/301331/online-gaming-in-the-uk/

A September to November 2022 survey found that almost seven in ten
gamers in the United Kingdom ever played games online.

That corresponds to 35 million online gamers. Are there as many fishers?

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<20231122172957.58f53d059bd471c8d18ecf23@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198899&group=alt.usage.english#198899

From: anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 17:29:57 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 14:29 UTC

Bertel Lund Hansen:

> That corresponds to 35 million online gamers. Are there as
> many fishers?

Computer gaming, and especially the most popular forms of
online gaming, such as MMROGs (not even good old MUDs over
Telnet!) are hardly recreational in that they do not create
one anew, bur rather suck one empty in more than one sense.

I am playing WinSPWW2 online with a guy from Australia at a
about four moves a week. This is a play-by-email game: you
save you move and send it to your opponent by e-mail.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ujl5v6$1ch2f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198905&group=alt.usage.english#198905

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 16:15:50 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:15 UTC

Anton Shepelev wrote:

> Computer gaming, and especially the most popular forms of
> online gaming, such as MMROGs (not even good old MUDs over
> Telnet!) are hardly recreational in that they do not create
> one anew, bur rather suck one empty in more than one sense.

Have you experience with online gaming?

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<20231122191012.03287f8c48228d6ee3c31d4c@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198907&group=alt.usage.english#198907

From: anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 19:10:12 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 16:10 UTC

Bertel Lund Hansen:

> Have you experience with online gaming?

Yes. I have played several PBEM games and MUDs. I have
shunned MMORPGs like the plague.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<20231122163038.92244dbbf0b97210c573cf45@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198910&group=alt.usage.english#198910

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 16:30:38 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 16:30 UTC

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 12:18:33 +0000
Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

> occam wrote:

> >> Hiking on the moors is also "recreational". As is playing chess or bowls.
> >> Your drugs have their social niche, but so do my activities.
> >>

> > I agree. However I am willing to wager top dollar that 'recreational
> > drugs' would top the league of recreational activities compared to e.g.
> > bowls. If anything, bowling is more of a 'niche' activity than is
> > recreational drug taking.
> >

> I suppose it varies from country to country.
> In the UK where I live fishing has always topped the list of favourite
> recreational activities.
> Behind that I'd place things like;
> Gardening
> Online Gaming
> Food & Drink at restaurants and pubs.

[xpost dropped, this is just to aue]

Apparently Golf and Bowls (and even Darts) are "sports".

--
I'm not a great conkers player, but try me at Doms.

Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<20231122163708.8c77dd205fece579ebf38c1c@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198911&group=alt.usage.english#198911

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 16:37:08 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 16:37 UTC

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 19:10:12 +0300
Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com> wrote:

> Bertel Lund Hansen:
>
> > Have you experience with online gaming?
>
> Yes. I have played several PBEM games and MUDs. I have
> shunned MMORPGs like the plague.

(ex-) youths of today are seemingly addicted to World of Warcraft, League
of Legends (FPS) etc, or even just Minecraft.

Me? I'm still catching up on Duke Nukem.

[aue only]
--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ujlgk0$1echk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198916&group=alt.usage.english#198916

From: Silvano@noncisonopernessuno.it (Silvano)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 19:17:38 +0100
 by: Silvano - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 18:17 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John hat am 22.11.2023 um 17:30 geschrieben:
> Apparently Golf and Bowls (and even Darts) are "sports".

Well, all of them require much more _physical_ activity than chess,
which has been recognized as a sport in Germany, although as an exception.

I'd like to share a story with you about this subject. The federations
of some other mind sports (bridge, go and some more) had tried to get
the same rights as chess from the German Parliament. The proposal was
being talked about when a clerk approached the president and whispered
him that the Berlin Wall had just opened. The president announced it
loud, the meeting was disbanded and we're still waiting for another talk
about our proposal.

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ujlp7r$1fqiv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198922&group=alt.usage.english#198922

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:44:43 +0100
References: <f4a1li14qkkp43599q0ok7sd1vqib90d12@4ax.com> <uivajr$15hgh$1@dont-email.me> <ujivsp$ur9t$1@dont-email.me> <ks5u16FbejhU1@mid.individual.net> <ujkrkp$1atk9$1@dont-email.me> <ujl28n$1bub4$1@dont-email.me> <20231122172957.58f53d059bd471c8d18ecf23@g{oogle}mail.com> <ujl5v6$1ch2f$1@dont-email.me> <20231122191012.03287f8c48228d6ee3c31d4c@g{oogle}mail.com> <20231122163708.8c77dd205fece579ebf38c1c@127.0.0.1>
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 20:44 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

>>> Have you experience with online gaming?
>>
>> Yes. I have played several PBEM games and MUDs. I have
>> shunned MMORPGs like the plague.
>>
> (ex-) youths of today are seemingly addicted to World of Warcraft, League
> of Legends (FPS) etc, or even just Minecraft.

Those are not the games my grandsons play. They were into CSGO and later
Fortnight. There was another one after that, but I have forgotten the
name.

They went from knowing maybe 20 English words to being fluent in English
through the games where they spoke to the other players live via Skype.
Other net activities helped also (Youtube mainly).

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<ujlpfk$1frvk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198923&group=alt.usage.english#198923

From: gadekryds@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:48:52 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 20:48 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

>> I suppose it varies from country to country.
>> In the UK where I live fishing has always topped the list of favourite
>> recreational activities.
>> Behind that I'd place things like;
>> Gardening
>> Online Gaming
>> Food & Drink at restaurants and pubs.
>>
> [xpost dropped, this is just to aue]
>
> Apparently Golf and Bowls (and even Darts) are "sports".

Golf and Bowls I can understand. They both require a lot of body action.
Dart less so.

In Denmark the bridge organisation (DBf = Dansk Bridge-forbund) one year
tried to get bridge+chess recognized as sports (think sports), but that
was just strategical. There was (and is) a sum of money available to
sports organisations. Bridge and chess get nothing.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Re: Obsolete verbs?

<KYCcncj6eurzUcP4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=198935&group=alt.usage.english#198935

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: msb@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 03:52:14 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 03:52 UTC

Bertel Lund Hansen:
> In Denmark the bridge organisation (DBf = Dansk Bridge-forbund) one year
> tried to get bridge+chess recognized as sports (think sports), but that
> was just strategical. There was (and is) a sum of money available to
> sports organisations. Bridge and chess get nothing.

Similarly in North America, where the ACBL hoped to get bridge into the
Olympics as a "mind sport". Before the IOC decided to reject the idea,
it was put forward that this would mean that the consumption of caffeine
at bridge games would have to be banned as a performance-enhancing drug.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "X-ray of girl shows bureaucratic mentality"
msb@vex.net | --Globe & Mail, Toronto, January 18, 1988

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Obsolete verbs?