From: robert@prino.org (Robert Prins)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
Subject: Re: Conversion to HTML
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 23:52:39 +0000
 by: Robert Prins - Sun, 29 May 2022 23:52 UTC

On 2022-04-04 07:36, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Robert Prins wrote:
>
>> I'm about to start the conversion of a 1980'ies book from book to html. One of
>> the quirky things was its lay-out, 635 pages of text, 40 characters wide
>> pages, fixed pitch font (Courier?) and justified,

<snip>

> Perhaps you should first analyze how the book content is best presented in
> modern media, instead of assuming that the original format should be preserved,
> even if it was simply caused by the limitations of tools.
>
> (About 40 years ago, I co-authored a book that was published as typewritten, in
> a monospace font. If someone wanted to publish it now in digital format, it
> would be pointless to imitate that format, and I would surely use my rights to
> forbid that!)

I've now finished the conversion
<https://prino.neocities.org/temp/hey_now_hitchhikers!.html>, although there are
a few minor loose ends to tie up, and an annoying format-hanging button that
needs to be put somewhere "out-of-the-way".

The default display is in "modern" format, albeit that I'm still using a
mono-space font, as I haven't been able to figure out how to replace the ordered
lists with real ordered lists, something that would also allow me to change the
font, doing so now messes up the indentation somewhat.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can improve things further, I'd be
grateful.

Fow what it's worth, I've managed to track down one of the authors, Larry Evans,
although my attempts to contact him have until now been unsuccessful, the
telephone rings, but isn't answered, a LinkedIn connect request is still
outstanding, and the only email address I found bounces,so I might have to
resort to snail mail. ;)

Thanks,

Robert
--