From: delete@example.invalid (Delete Meat)
Newsgroups: sci.crypt
Subject: Re: Are there any crypto lurkers in this NG?
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 08:54:15 +0000
 by: Delete Meat - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 08:54 UTC

On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 19:41:26 +0100
Richard Harnden <richard.nospam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29/08/2023 17:16, Rich wrote:
> > Not Really Anonymous <not@really.anon> wrote:
> >> Checking in after a long break from this space.
> >>
> >> What's the latest news in crypto?
> >>
> >> ~ NRA
> >
> > There are lurkers.
> >
> > But no one (besides the google spammers) seems to be posting
> > anything.
>
> I gave up trying to filter it out.
>
> Now I simply delete anything where User-Agent contains G2.

I sure won't use a whitelist provided by some stranger over a wire. Such
an offer should be dismissed as snob trolling or remote mothering. I
think most of us are grown-ups and know how to use client filters and
scripts and don't need someone deciding for us who should be censored.
Advice for eliminating the spam follows.

Filter for Message-ID header containing 'google' and you will eliminate
99% of spam. In fact just by this single filtering rule I filtered out
2865 spam messages and only 3 got through the filter. Those three were
posted via vipernews which I'm getting ready to put in my filter.

So my rule filtered out roughly 99.895% of the sci.crypt spam.

If you are using google groups to post to Usenet you need to get with
the times and get a free provider account or use a remailer to news
gateway. Don't take it personal but if you are posting via google or
one of the pirate spam providers you're probably a liability anyway.

I'm going to filter all posts from:

google
vipernews
blocknews
uzoreto

That should nix 99.9+% of spam in sci.crypt. If you are signed up with a
reputable Usenet provider that is not just a money-making spam and
piracy provider, your messages might get read. As far as my experience
shows, most if not all paid Usenet providers are slimeballs monetizing
the business of spammers and warez/movie pirates. If they were the only
way to access Usenet I would forget about Usenet rather than give them
money.

Free Usenet hosts like Eternal September, Agency News, Blueworld
Hosting, and Endoftheline, etc. don't seem to be prolific avenues for
spammers. Knock on wood.

devel / sci.crypt / Re: Are there any crypto lurkers in this NG?