From: mmontgomery@levado.to (Meredith Montgomery)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,comp.unix.programmer
Subject: any ideas for getting files from students?
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 22:07:17 -0300
 by: Meredith Montgomery - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 01:07 UTC

I'm thiking about creating UNIX accounts merely for students to upload
their homework through scp. But I have not solved all what I want to
solve. (Such students are expected to be technical enough to use scp.)

I'm thinking of scp because it's solid enough. It's simple. It works.
I end up having all of the work centralized in a UNIX system. I get
dates et cetera.

But what'd really like is to have a program receive each file transfer
and rename the file, say. In other words, I'd like to associate an scp
transfer to a script, much like e-mail can invoke a script on a UNIX
system.

Maybe SSH can sort of do this. I'll look into the documentation. Any
ideas? Thank you!

(*) My thought process leading up to this

Solution 1. Students could send me e-mails, but I have the massive work
of pulling files from my inbox into a UNIX system where I can look at
each one. E-mail does the job because it /sort of/ proves the delivery.

Solution 2. They could scp files, but this lets them overwrite files.
It'd be nice if each upload would turn the submission into a
next-version.

Re: any ideas for getting files from students?

<87ler3w3py.fsf@doppelsaurus.mobileactivedefense.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/devel/article-flat.php?id=2905&group=comp.unix.programmer#2905

From: rweikusat@talktalk.net (Rainer Weikusat)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,comp.unix.programmer
Subject: Re: any ideas for getting files from students?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2022 15:48:09 +0100
 by: Rainer Weikusat - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 14:48 UTC

Meredith Montgomery <mmontgomery@levado.to> writes:
> I'm thiking about creating UNIX accounts merely for students to upload
> their homework through scp. But I have not solved all what I want to
> solve. (Such students are expected to be technical enough to use scp.)

[...]

> But what'd really like is to have a program receive each file transfer
> and rename the file, say. In other words, I'd like to associate an scp
> transfer to a script, much like e-mail can invoke a script on a UNIX
> system.

[...]

> Solution 1. Students could send me e-mails, but I have the massive work
> of pulling files from my inbox into a UNIX system where I can look at
> each one. E-mail does the job because it /sort of/ proves the delivery.

If you can arrange for e-mails to be delivered to the UNIX system, you
can process them automatically, ie, with a script there. The obvious
traditional suggestion for this would be procmail.

devel / comp.unix.programmer / Re: any ideas for getting files from students?