Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 01:49:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: About HTTP/2 and/or websockets
From: ecosta.tmp@gmail.com (Eduardo Costa)
 by: Eduardo Costa - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 08:49 UTC

Hi guys,

I've been developing CGI's in C language for some time now, which is something I particularly enjoy with for some reason.

I've recently begun learning websockets, so I wrote a server that I have working. In this case it seems I'm forced to do reverse proxy and have this server running in parallel to apache listening for connections on a 24/7 basis, which seems to defeat the point quite a bit to me due to the waste of resources. Just imagine for a second I'd like to have like three or four of these permanently running and listening for different web applications (!!)..

I haven't found a way to have these called on demand by a apache same as traditional CGI's are, where the websockets app. would be exec'ed or fork'ed once and left alone until client closes the connection.

Same for HTTP/2. I've noticed `mod_http2' uses libnghttp2, and I also wonder if it would be possible to write a C program that I'd link against such library at compile time, and that apache would call on demand in the same or a similar way (it execs or forks my application once, and gets out of the way until client closes the connection), so that I'm not forced to have it running as a parallel process that apache would forward requests to.

Am I missing something clearly obvious regarding apache's configuration, or is there some way to achieve what I'm trying to do?

Thanks,

devel / comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix / About HTTP/2 and/or websockets