From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Tab text scrolling
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 18:35:38 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 17:35 UTC

Is it possible to turn of tab text scrolling? This text scrolling also
affects the FF taskbar tab, and the title wording before "- Mozilla
Firefox" at the top of the page. FWIW, it also happens with Pale Moon.

An example can be found here:
<http://www.european-trees.com/daphne-willow.html>
(note that it's not an https page)

I just find it distracting and annoying. It can be stopped by changing
to reader view, but I'd prefer a solution which stops only the scrolling.

--

Jeff

Re: Tab text scrolling

<64EB8D34.50700@backwurst.de>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=916&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#916

From: miller@posteo.ee (Frank Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Tab text scrolling
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 19:51:48 +0200
 by: Frank Miller - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 17:51 UTC

Jeff Layman wrote:
> Is it possible to turn of tab text scrolling? This text scrolling also
> affects the FF taskbar tab, and the title wording before "- Mozilla
> Firefox" at the top of the page. FWIW, it also happens with Pale Moon.
>
> An example can be found here:
> <http://www.european-trees.com/daphne-willow.html>
> (note that it's not an https page)
>
> I just find it distracting and annoying. It can be stopped by changing
> to reader view, but I'd prefer a solution which stops only the scrolling.

The effect is produced per Javascript. If you use the uBlockOrigin extension
you can turn it off by blocking 1st-party scripts.

Re: Tab text scrolling

<ucg6b6$19h3k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=919&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#919

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 19:57:42 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 18:57 UTC

On 27/08/2023 18:51, Frank Miller wrote:
> Jeff Layman wrote:
>> Is it possible to turn of tab text scrolling? This text scrolling also
>> affects the FF taskbar tab, and the title wording before "- Mozilla
>> Firefox" at the top of the page. FWIW, it also happens with Pale Moon.
>>
>> An example can be found here:
>> <http://www.european-trees.com/daphne-willow.html>
>> (note that it's not an https page)
>>
>> I just find it distracting and annoying. It can be stopped by changing
>> to reader view, but I'd prefer a solution which stops only the scrolling.
>
> The effect is produced per Javascript. If you use the uBlockOrigin extension
> you can turn it off by blocking 1st-party scripts.

Thanks - that works well.

--

Jeff

Re: Tab text scrolling

<j1NGM.226072$cc2c.91628@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=920&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#920

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
From: not.email@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 13:58:23 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 18:58 UTC

On 8/27/23 12:35, Jeff Layman wrote:
> Is it possible to turn of tab text scrolling? This text scrolling also
> affects the FF taskbar tab, and the title wording before "- Mozilla
> Firefox"  at the top of the page. FWIW, it also happens with Pale Moon.
>
> An example can be found here:
> <http://www.european-trees.com/daphne-willow.html>
> (note that it's not an https page)
>
> I just find it distracting and annoying.

I do too. It gradually shows "Daphne Willow" then blanks and shows some
longer string too quickly to read before starting over. I have other
tabs open with long titles, and none do this.

> It can be stopped by changing
> to reader view, but I'd prefer a solution which stops only the scrolling.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Illegal Error. You are not allowed to get this error, next time you
will be punished."

Re: Tab text scrolling

<17tz6zi8y1wo8$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=921&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#921

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 14:41:47 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 19:41 UTC

Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Is it possible to turn of tab text scrolling? This text scrolling also
> affects the FF taskbar tab, and the title wording before "- Mozilla
> Firefox" at the top of the page. FWIW, it also happens with Pale Moon.
>
> An example can be found here:
> <http://www.european-trees.com/daphne-willow.html>
> (note that it's not an https page)
>
> I just find it distracting and annoying. It can be stopped by changing
> to reader view, but I'd prefer a solution which stops only the scrolling.

Ah, the joys of web devs who think glitz is more important than
function.

https://davidwalsh.name/change-title-javascript
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Document/title

Javascript can change the title attribute. Normally the HTML <title>
tag is used to give a title to the document, but it can be altered by
Javascript by changing the document.title attribute of a web page.
Frank alluded to Javascript changing the title, and disabling Javascript
(in this case, 1st-party scripts) eliminates the nuisancesome glitz. Of
course, disabling Javascript can also disable other "features" of the
web document.

To show the incremental character addition of "D", "Da", "Dap", and so
one, the Javascript changes document.title at intervals.

I saw no contact info at the web site to submit requests for the site
owner to desist from such stupidity.

Note that there are useful purposes of changing document.title on an
event. For example, I believe Google does it to help notify a user that
a new e-mail arrived in their inbox. Some sites will change the title
depending on which section of the document the user visits. The site
you mention is just adding superfluous glitz.

Re: Tab text scrolling

<ucgfb6$1b96s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=924&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#924

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 21:31:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 21:31 UTC

On 27 Aug 2023 14:41:47 -0500 VanguardLH wrote:

>Ah, the joys of web devs who think glitz is more important than
>function.
>
>https://davidwalsh.name/change-title-javascript
>https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Document/title
>
>Javascript can change the title attribute. Normally the HTML <title>
>tag is used to give a title to the document, but it can be altered by
>Javascript by changing the document.title attribute of a web page.
>Frank alluded to Javascript changing the title, and disabling Javascript
>(in this case, 1st-party scripts) eliminates the nuisancesome glitz. Of
>course, disabling Javascript can also disable other "features" of the
>web document.
>
>To show the incremental character addition of "D", "Da", "Dap", and so
>one, the Javascript changes document.title at intervals.

Yes. The js function 'writetitle' is at the end of this script:
http://www.european-trees.com/java/menug.js

You could knock it out with a script blocking addon and see whether it
prevents anything useful. It is indeed irritating - on this Android tablet
it appears in the tab list.

>I saw no contact info at the web site to submit requests for the site
>owner to desist from such stupidity.

The author's name's in the source. He does it to some other sites he runs.
Ask politely - in French ;)

>Note that there are useful purposes of changing document.title on an
>event. For example, I believe Google does it to help notify a user that
>a new e-mail arrived in their inbox. Some sites will change the title
>depending on which section of the document the user visits. The site
>you mention is just adding superfluous glitz.

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Tab text scrolling