From: faeychild@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: a xine problem
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:19:41 +1100
 by: faeychild - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 08:19 UTC

Somewhat unbelievable symptoms
Xine will sometimes play some,not all mp4 files and some only with sound

Unfortunately the "junk" $USER plays back fine which suggest I have
config file problems

I have removed all xine entries in $HOME then uninstalled and
reinstalled xine only for it to behave for a time before breaking down
and becoming erratic again..

It also plays well,for a time, immediately after returning from testing
in "junk"

Got me intrigued
--
faeychild
Running kde on 6.6.18-desktop-1.mga9 kernel.

Re: a xine problem

<op.2kg5o4jta3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=6936&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6936

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: a xine problem
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:08:54 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:08 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 04:19:41 -0400, faeychild <faeychild@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> Somewhat unbelievable symptoms
> Xine will sometimes play some,not all mp4 files and some only with sound
>
> Unfortunately the "junk" $USER plays back fine which suggest I have
> config file problems
>
> I have removed all xine entries in $HOME then uninstalled and
> reinstalled xine only for it to behave for a time before breaking down
> and becoming erratic again..
>
> It also plays well,for a time, immediately after returning from testing
> in "junk"
>
> Got me intrigued

Having some mp4 files play and not others is not that unusual, as mp4 is a
container format, not an audio or video format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP4_file_format
See the "Data Streams" part. Without the correct codec as used in the
recording, the stream will not play.

Having it work for one user, but not another does indicate a config problem.
Having it work after testing it in the junk user, but only for some period
of time, I'm inclined to think is more likely just from logging out/in rather
then anything done while logged into the other account. That implies something
is not being reinitialized properly after playing some files. Try another
player such as kmplayer, gmplayer, etc.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: a xine problem

<usoo3k$49i7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=6942&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6942

From: faeychild@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:10:08 +1100
 by: faeychild - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 05:10 UTC

On 12/3/24 02:08, David W. Hodgins wrote:

> Having it work for one user, but not another does indicate a config
> problem.
> Having it work after testing it in the junk user, but only for some period
> of time, I'm inclined to think is more likely just from logging out/in
> rather
> then anything done while logged into the other account. That implies
> something
> is not being reinitialized properly after playing some files. Try another
> player such as kmplayer, gmplayer, etc.

I have reluctantly arrived at the same thoughts concerning reinitialization

I don't have km* or gm* player but vlc and kaffeinne play the same
files flawlessly.

PS
I checked, no gmplayer but kmplayer works OK, can ever scrub video for
quick search as with xine.

vlc and kaffeinne don't scrub well

Thanks Dave

--
faeychild
Running kde on 6.6.18-desktop-1.mga9 kernel.
Mageia release 9 (Official) for x86_64

Re: a xine problem

<op.2kiwlbmra3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=6944&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6944

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 09:47:25 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 13:47 UTC

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 01:10:08 -0400, faeychild <faeychild@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On 12/3/24 02:08, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> Having it work for one user, but not another does indicate a config
>> problem.
>> Having it work after testing it in the junk user, but only for some period
>> of time, I'm inclined to think is more likely just from logging out/in
>> rather
>> then anything done while logged into the other account. That implies
>> something
>> is not being reinitialized properly after playing some files. Try another
>> player such as kmplayer, gmplayer, etc.
>
> I have reluctantly arrived at the same thoughts concerning reinitialization
>
> I don't have km* or gm* player but vlc and kaffeinne play the same
> files flawlessly.

Sorry, I should have checked. Looks like gmplayer (an alias for gnome-mplayer)
was dropped from gnome starting in Mageia 7.

Another version that is still present is smplayer.

> PS
> I checked, no gmplayer but kmplayer works OK, can ever scrub video for
> quick search as with xine.
> vlc and kaffeinne don't scrub well
> Thanks Dave

You're welcome.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: a xine problem

<usr5me$og75$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=6945&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6945

From: faeychild@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:14:21 +1100
 by: faeychild - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 03:14 UTC

On 13/3/24 00:47, David W. Hodgins wrote:

>> PS
>> I checked, no gmplayer but kmplayer works OK, can ever scrub video for
>> quick search  as with xine.
>>   vlc and kaffeinne don't scrub well
>> Thanks Dave
>
> You're welcome.

As you suggested, it would seem to point to initialization error

I pulled the "dot config" folder on $HOME and rebooted. a bit scorched
earth approach

I now find that after boot xine will not play the first attempt but is
fine after.

Maybe that will have to do

regards

--
faeychild
Running kde on 5.15.126-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.