I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. -- Isaac Asimov

computers / alt.os.linux.mageia / Re: more mga9

SubjectAuthor
* more mga9faeychild
+* Re: more mga9David W. Hodgins
|`* Re: more mga9faeychild
| `- Re: more mga9TJ
`* Re: more mga9TJ
 `* Re: more mga9faeychild
  +* Re: more mga9TJ
  |`* Re: more mga9faeychild
  | `* Re: more mga9David W. Hodgins
  |  +* Re: more mga9faeychild
  |  |`* Re: more mga9David W. Hodgins
  |  | `* Re: more mga9faeychild
  |  |  `* Re: more mga9William Unruh
  |  |   +- Re: more mga9faeychild
  |  |   `* Re: more mga9jim whitby
  |  |    `* Re: more mga9faeychild
  |  |     `* Re: more mga9David W. Hodgins
  |  |      `* Re: more mga9faeychild
  |  |       +* Re: more mga9jim whitby
  |  |       |`- Re: more mga9faeychild
  |  |       `* Re: more mga9David W. Hodgins
  |  |        `* Re: more mga9faeychild
  |  |         `* Re: more mga9faeychild
  |  |          `* Re: more mga9David W. Hodgins
  |  |           `- Re: more mga9TJ
  |  `- Re: more mga9TJ
  `* Re: more mga9William Unruh
   `- Re: more mga9faeychild

Pages:12
Re: more mga9

<use8la$1hjn3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=6903&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6903

From: faeychild@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: more mga9
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:45:11 +1100
 by: faeychild - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 05:45 UTC

On 8/3/24 07:50, faeychild wrote:

> OK I'm barking up the wrong tree. I'm confusing mga9 and mga9.

No That's MGA8 and MGA9 (^$%#@$&#$)

Or to quote Maxwell Smart, "It's craw not craw"

Some days seem very long. But, also, the Brother printer is in

> So I have installed tainted video for mga8  and  now
>
> [faeychild@unimatrix ~]$ rpm -q task-codec-audio task-codec-video
> task-codec-audio-6-4.mga8.tainted
> task-codec-video-6-4.mga8.tainted
> [faeychild@unimatrix ~]$
>   with a resounding sigh
>
> I will boot mga9 and check that out

[faeychild@unmatrix ~]$ rpm -q task-codec-audio task-codec-video
task-codec-audio-9-1.mga9.tainted
task-codec-video-9-1.mga9.tainted
[faeychild@unmatrix ~]$

"Great suffering blood oranges" finally!!

I damn near have everything running flawlessly on "9" even sig file and TV.

It's almost trustworthy. but tonight I'll return to the soothing comfort
of mga8

How long have I got until MGA-10

Regards

--
faeychild
Running kde on 6.6.18-desktop-1.mga9 kernel.

Re: more mga9

<op.2kbjl6c6a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=6908&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6908

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 09:23:56 -0500
 by: David W. Hodgins - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 14:23 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 00:45:11 -0500, faeychild <faeychild@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> How long have I got until MGA-10

When it's ready. :-)

Given the amount of work involved, a release is generally done when there
is a really big new or changed feature, or there's enough differences between
cauldron and the latest release to warrant it.

The main reason mga9 was released was so that the build system could be updated.
as the build system is based on with the latest stable release, and some
packages could not be built any more without newer versions of gcc, llvm, etc.

I haven't seen any discussions yet on a schedule. There likely are not enough
differences between mga9 and cauldron to warrant the amount of work involved
to start building and testing mga10.

That will be up to the council, which is made up of the team leaders.

Don't forget, skipping a release means doing a clean install. The obsoletes
in rpm packages are written to handle the prior release during upgrade, and
are unlikely to work after skipping a release. Same with the scriplets that
alter existing config files in /etc.

And just a reminder, I'm no longer leader of the qa team, the council, or the
board.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: more mga9

<usfo1u$1s87l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=6910&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#6910

From: TJ@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 14:14:05 -0500
 by: TJ - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 19:14 UTC

On 2024-03-08 09:23, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 00:45:11 -0500, faeychild
> <faeychild@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>> How long have I got until MGA-10
>
> When it's ready. :-)
>
> Given the amount of work involved, a release is generally done when there
> is a really big new or changed feature, or there's enough differences
> between
> cauldron and the latest release to warrant it.
>
> The main reason mga9 was released was so that the build system could be
> updated.
> as the build system is based on with the latest stable release, and some
> packages could not be built any more without newer versions of gcc,
> llvm, etc.
>
> I haven't seen any discussions yet on a schedule. There likely are not
> enough
> differences between mga9 and cauldron to warrant the amount of work
> involved
> to start building and testing mga10.
>
> That will be up to the council, which is made up of the team leaders.

Some have floated the idea of a 9.1 release, but I don't believe we are
ready for that yet. There's a large wave of Plasma application updates
in the pipeline, for example, and they would need to be cleared by QA first.

A 9.1 release would be like previous .1 releases, where the install isos
would contain packages that have been updated since the original Mageia
9 release. That's mostly for newcomers to Mageia 9, so that they don't
have as many updates to get at the end of the install. Anyone who has
already installed Mageia 9 and kept it fully updated would have the same
thing.

BTW, I am the current QA team leader, formerly Dave's deputy. As such, I
am on the Council, but I am not on the board. I'm just trying very hard
to fill Dave's shoes, with some limited success. Fortunately, he still
has had my back when I really need it.

TJ

Pages:12