"I got a question for ya. Ya got a minute?" -- two programmers passing in the hall

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: What's with Gahhh?

SubjectAuthor
* What's with Gahhh?Newyana2
`* Re: What's with Gahhh?Simon GAHHH Creator
 `* Re: What's with Gahhh?Newyana2
  +* Re: What's with Gahhh?Lawrence D'Oliveiro
  |`- Re: What's with Gahhh?Newyana2
  `* Re: What's with Gahhh?Computer Nerd Kev
   `* Re: What's with Gahhh?Newyana2
    `- Re: What's with Gahhh?Simon GAHHH Creator

1
What's with Gahhh?

<v0iqam$buni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3467&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3467

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: What's with Gahhh?
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 08:14:54 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:14 UTC

Ever since I set up Win10 with FF115ESR, abut twice a week
I go to a normal site that works fine and FF throws up a page
that says soemething like "GAHHH! The tab crashed. Please

I don't normally enable script. I never saw a page "crash" in
years of using FF52 on XP or with 115 on Win7. None of
these URLs are suspicious. They're always sites I normally go
to. They always load fine when I ignore the GAHHH and go to
that URL again. And I don't use tabs. This is always in lone
windows. (I understand that FF is always tabbed now, but I'm
just clarifying that the crashes are always in a window with a
single tab, because that's the way I always do it.)

So now I'm curious. Is FF just getting more unstable? Is Win10
messing with it? Is the GAHHH just a rude way to do market
research?

Re: What's with Gahhh?

<v0jplu$16gf3$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3469&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3469

From: noreply@GAHHH.com (Simon GAHHH Creator)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: What's with Gahhh?
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:30:37 +0000
 by: Simon GAHHH Creator - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:30 UTC

On 27/04/2024 13:14, Newyana2 wrote:

>   So now I'm curious. Is FF just getting more unstable? Is Win10
> messing with it? Is the GAHHH just a rude way to do market
> research?
You say you don't normally enable scripts  So did you try running FF out
of the box without blocking anything to see if you still get GAHHH. Most
websites these days are supposed to have scripts to run them efficiently.
You may call it spying and planting viruses but that is what they have
decided to do. Either follow what they want users to do or simply don't
visit them. The choice is yours. It looks like they don't want users who
are paranoid about everything. They don't have time for such users.

Which website is this that is giving you GAHHH? I am surprised they
didn't greet you with two fingers like most website owners do these
days. Customer is no longer right these days. Stores don't have enough
inventories to satisfy all customers so they can treat their customers
like dirt to drive them away before they try to steal their stuff.

Hope this helps from a web site "gahhh" creator.

Re: What's with Gahhh?

<5d44c9b6-5a8b-48e7-1c44-4d4087b98f81@invalid.nospam>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3471&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3471

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 20:42:26 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 00:42 UTC

On 4/27/2024 5:30 PM, Simon GAHHH Creator wrote:

> You say you don't normally enable scripts  So did you try running FF out
> of the box without blocking anything to see if you still get GAHHH. Most
> websites these days are supposed to have scripts to run them efficiently.
> You may call it spying and planting viruses but that is what they have
> decided to do. Either follow what they want users to do or simply don't
> visit them. The choice is yours. It looks like they don't want users who
> are paranoid about everything. They don't have time for such users.

You apparently don't understand how webpages work. And clearly you only
mean to be a wiseass. Nevertheless, I'll answer your post in case it might
help anyone else with this problem.

Websites are not giving me this page because they're mad at me
blocking
script. :) When websites want to force script they typically do things like
embed the page source in script, or cover the page with an opaque DIV that's
only removed by allowing script. (Or disabling CSS.) Without script
there's very
little that a website can do to the page because they have no options for
dynamic changes after it loads.

FF is saying that the tab crashed. It's a cutesy Firefox page, not a
website
page. It's less likely to crash without script, and in many years with
FF 52, as
well as current FF on Win7, it has NEVER crashed. But now it's random. I've
even had my local homepage and duckduckgo crash. But again, it's not those
pages. It's some kind of indigestion on the part of Firefox.

Looking it up I've found mention of shutting off multi-process by setting
browser.tabs.remote.autostart to false. But those pages are 6 years old.

A recent page does mention the same thing, though:
https://appuals.com/gah-your-tab-just-crashed-firefox/

They also offer advice for troubleshooting, but the problem with that
is that the event is unpredictable. It's happened maybe once or twice a
week. I'll see what shutting off multi-process does.

Re: What's with Gahhh?

<v0kbmv$q4lf$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3472&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3472

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 02:19:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 02:19 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 20:42:26 -0400, Newyana2 wrote:

> ...or cover the page with an
> opaque DIV that's only removed by allowing script. (Or disabling CSS.)

Right-click the blocking DIV, Inspect the object properties, in the
Inspector, set “display: none”.

Re: What's with Gahhh?

<ff26b9d6-6342-ca3b-d1a7-c00422ae8d9b@invalid.nospam>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3473&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3473

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 22:50:51 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 02:50 UTC

>> ...or cover the page with an
>> opaque DIV that's only removed by allowing script. (Or disabling CSS.)
>
> Right-click the blocking DIV, Inspect the object properties, in the
> Inspector, set “display: none”.

Sometimes I do block specific IDs or classes, such as cookie
popups, but mostly I find it's easier to just have a CSS toggler on
the toolbar. There are so many badly designed sites these days.
It's not unusual to see 16-24px serif fonts with triple spacing,
designed to be viewed on cellphones. It's so big that I'll often
disable CSS so that I can read an article with single-spaced
verdana at 13px.

Re: What's with Gahhh?

<662dfb5f@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3474&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3474

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: 28 Apr 2024 17:31:43 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 07:31 UTC

Newyana2 <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> FF is saying that the tab crashed. It's a cutesy Firefox page, not a
> website
> page. It's less likely to crash without script, and in many years with
> FF 52, as
> well as current FF on Win7, it has NEVER crashed.

Is that on the same PC dual-booting to the older Windows, or a
different PC?

> They also offer advice for troubleshooting, but the problem with that
> is that the event is unpredictable. It's happened maybe once or twice a
> week.

Perhaps the RAM in your PC is failing and that's upsetting it?
Especially if you rarely use other programs that consume as much
RAM as Firefox.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: What's with Gahhh?

<7bdadffa-b8db-cd09-c3c1-a0a01d67243e@invalid.nospam>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3475&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3475

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 08:32:57 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 12:32 UTC

On 4/28/2024 3:31 AM, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

>> FF 52, as
>> well as current FF on Win7, it has NEVER crashed.
>
> Is that on the same PC dual-booting to the older Windows, or a
> different PC?

Three different computers. Two different FF versions. It
sounds like most people have never seen this screen.

>> They also offer advice for troubleshooting, but the problem with that
>> is that the event is unpredictable. It's happened maybe once or twice a
>> week.
>
> Perhaps the RAM in your PC is failing and that's upsetting it?
> Especially if you rarely use other programs that consume as much
> RAM as Firefox.

It's a new computer. 32GB RAM, which I tested for faults. The
page that I linked lists the usual advice to disable add-ons, try
troubleshooting mode, disable anti-virus, update FF... All the
reasonable advice that people suggest when they don't know
the answer. All of those things COULD be factors, but it's common
sense that the first place to look is at Firefox.

The only notable advice I can find is changing
browser.tabs.remote.autostart to false, which I've now done.

I did find an interesting thing that I didn't know: There's
an about:crashes. But that had no records. It tells me that
no crash data is saved unless a ReportURL is specified in
prefs! Others who have looked in about:crashes say that GAH
files no report.

The GAH page shows no useful information. It appears that
FF *can* report some details, but doesn't. Yet the page must be
stored in the EXE resources or a FF library, and it must be called
out by some specific trigger. It comes up instantly, seemingly before
FF has even tried to navigate to the webpage. So I would expect
that the Mozillians could say something useful about it. (It wouldn't
hurt if they reported that the clown who decided "GAH" was a
clever idea has been fired. :)

Re: What's with Gahhh?

<v0n0en$1l5qu$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3478&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3478

From: noreply@GAHHH.com (Simon GAHHH Creator)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 02:45:00 +0000
 by: Simon GAHHH Creator - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 02:45 UTC

On 28/04/2024 13:32, Newyana2 wrote:
> All of those things COULD be factors, but it's common
> sense that the first place to look is at Firefox.

The first place to investigate is whether there is PEBCAK; It's common
sense really. There is nothing wrong with Firefox considering nobody
seems to have seen it. I am using 125.0.2 and by and large everything
works like they should as tested on Google Chrome, which is considered
to be the industry standard considering nearly 90% of users using it
without too much marketing by Google.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: What's with Gahhh?