We can defeat gravity. The problem is the paperwork involved.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

SubjectAuthor
* Stuck at PayPal Log-In CaptchaComputer Nerd Kev
+* Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In CaptchaAndy Burns
|+- Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In CaptchaAndy Burns
|+* Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In CaptchaComputer Nerd Kev
||`* Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In CaptchaComputer Nerd Kev
|| +- Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In CaptchaChris Elvidge
|| `* Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In CaptchaComputer Nerd Kev
||  `* Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In CaptchaRetirednoguilt
||   `- Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In CaptchaComputer Nerd Kev
|`* Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captchamicky
| `* Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In CaptchaAndy Burns
|  `- Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captchamicky
`* Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captchamicky
 `- Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In CaptchaRetirednoguilt

1
Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

<6620ce64@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3426&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3426

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Subject: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: 18 Apr 2024 17:40:20 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:40 UTC

Has anyone else encountered this? It doesn't happen in the default
profile, but I haven't found an obvious setting that's causing it
in my normal profile in Firefox 115.10.0esr on Linux:

Go to PayPal log-in page. Enter correct email and password. PayPal
loads a page saying "Security Challenge" with a Captcha (either
hCaptcha or reCaptcha). Upon completing the Captcha nothing
happens, there's no button to press, and reloading the page just
displays a new captcha.

This happens with payments and when trying to log in to manage the
PayPal account. It's presented captchas to me here on and off for
years, but only in the last week or so has it been failing to move
on after I complete them.

I disabled NoScript and Tracking Protection. Enabled the referer
header, and the "beacon" feature. That's all the settings I've
identified causing websites to malfunction before, so the next
step is slowly going one-by-one toggling all the settings that
might remotely be relevant. If someone's been here already, I'd
welcome any tips!

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

<l8c1f4F26fiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3427&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3427

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:46:39 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:46 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

> Has anyone else encountered this? It doesn't happen in the default
> profile, but I haven't found an obvious setting that's causing it
> in my normal profile in Firefox 115.10.0esr on Linux:

I have noticed on several captcha sites I get stuck in a loop
identifying zebra-crossings, buses and motorbikes, until it rejects me
for being a bot ... thankfully the audio alternative works OK.

Windows with FF115

Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

<l8c1rdF26gcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3428&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3428

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:53:12 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:53 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> I have noticed on several captcha sites I get stuck in a loop
> identifying zebra-crossings, buses and motorbikes, until it rejects me
> for being a bot ... thankfully the audio alternative works OK.
>
> Windows with FF115

sorry, FF125

Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

<6620d465@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3429&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3429

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: 18 Apr 2024 18:05:57 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:05 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> I have noticed on several captcha sites I get stuck in a loop
> identifying zebra-crossings, buses and motorbikes, until it rejects me
> for being a bot ... thankfully the audio alternative works OK.

This is actually after I get past that and receive the ticked box
of verified humanity. The page just does nothing after that.

But I just tried turning off all extentions and I got through. I
think the "Select like a Boss" extension might have been upsetting
the page, since that's the only one I have besides NoScript which
changes webpage behaviour. I'll try again later while changing IP
addresses since PayPal seems to be letting me in without a captcha
on this address for the moment.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

<66210efe@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3430&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3430

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: 18 Apr 2024 22:15:58 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:15 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> But I just tried turning off all extentions and I got through. I
> think the "Select like a Boss" extension might have been upsetting
> the page, since that's the only one I have besides NoScript which
> changes webpage behaviour. I'll try again later while changing IP
> addresses since PayPal seems to be letting me in without a captcha
> on this address for the moment.

No, it happened again with that extension disabled. It seems to be
completely disabling the NoScript extension instead of just
selecting "allow all in this tab" from its menu that does the
trick. But it's very hard to test with PayPal not always displaying
the captcha.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

<nlg22j9kvik89hl81du2o8qnb6rv1uib1p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3431&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3431

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:57:49 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:57 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:46:39 +0100, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else encountered this? It doesn't happen in the default
>> profile, but I haven't found an obvious setting that's causing it
>> in my normal profile in Firefox 115.10.0esr on Linux:
>
>I have noticed on several captcha sites I get stuck in a loop
>identifying zebra-crossings, buses and motorbikes, until it rejects me
>for being a bot

Me too. Once it was 20 go-rounds. I felt like a kid again. I think it
finally passed me.

... thankfully the audio alternative works OK.

There is an audio alternative? Right there on the same page?

>Windows with FF115

Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

<uvrgai$2b9j4$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3432&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3432

From: chris@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 17:04:34 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:04 UTC

On 18/04/2024 at 13:15, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>> But I just tried turning off all extentions and I got through. I
>> think the "Select like a Boss" extension might have been upsetting
>> the page, since that's the only one I have besides NoScript which
>> changes webpage behaviour. I'll try again later while changing IP
>> addresses since PayPal seems to be letting me in without a captcha
>> on this address for the moment.
>
> No, it happened again with that extension disabled. It seems to be
> completely disabling the NoScript extension instead of just
> selecting "allow all in this tab" from its menu that does the
> trick. But it's very hard to test with PayPal not always displaying
> the captcha.

I've given up and gone to Vivaldi for eBay and PayPal.
It's the popups, I think.

--
Chris Elvidge, England
I WILL NOT INSTIGATE REVOLUTION

Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

<dpg22j9t2irf1e1qb78vbqoqrmnm0dvd6i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3433&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3433

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:09:51 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:09 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on 18 Apr 2024 17:40:20 +1000, Computer
Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

>Has anyone else encountered this? It doesn't happen in the default
>profile, but I haven't found an obvious setting that's causing it
>in my normal profile in Firefox 115.10.0esr on Linux:

Talking about Windows and unrelated to CAptchas, I had recently during
the middle of the day where couldn't log into Sunpass.com on my desktop
Win10 Pro, but I could do so on the laptop win10 Home. After I finished
doing what I had to on the laptop I went back to the desktop and still
couldn't log in, it still said the server or somethiing was down and
tray later. And I had the right address because the SunPass login
screen was showing.

Also, I reed the Carolyn Hax column on WashingtonPost.com. Emails come
a few times a week with a link. One day, there was a question but no
answer from her, yet the comments already posted referred to her answer
and a second letter too. Eventually I was able to see the whole
column.
Also with the column, WaPo allows comments on most or all of its
articles. If you comment on the Hax column and someone replies, you get
an eamail notification with a link. Yesterday I got 5 comments, 5
emails, but 2 of them allowed me to reply to the reply. Three had no
way to do that, no "Reply" underneath the other party's text. I could
see no reason why those 3 were different from the others. This had also
happened a few days ago but then I t hought it was because I hadn't
looked at the reply quickly enough. This last paragraph is almost
surely the doing of WaPo, not FF, but it seems to show how erratic some
software can appear.

>Go to PayPal log-in page. Enter correct email and password. PayPal
>loads a page saying "Security Challenge" with a Captcha (either
>hCaptcha or reCaptcha). Upon completing the Captcha nothing
>happens, there's no button to press, and reloading the page just
>displays a new captcha.
>
>This happens with payments and when trying to log in to manage the
>PayPal account. It's presented captchas to me here on and off for
>years, but only in the last week or so has it been failing to move
>on after I complete them.
>
>I disabled NoScript and Tracking Protection. Enabled the referer
>header, and the "beacon" feature. That's all the settings I've
>identified causing websites to malfunction before, so the next
>step is slowly going one-by-one toggling all the settings that
>might remotely be relevant. If someone's been here already, I'd
>welcome any tips!

Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

<l8cvg5F5krkU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3434&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3434

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 17:19:10 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:19 UTC

micky wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> thankfully the audio alternative works OK.
>
> There is an audio alternative? Right there on the same page?

Yes, see the headphone icon?

Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

<uvrmri$2coga$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3435&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3435

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:56:00 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 17:56 UTC

On 4/18/2024 12:09 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.software.firefox, on 18 Apr 2024 17:40:20 +1000, Computer
> Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else encountered this? It doesn't happen in the default
>> profile, but I haven't found an obvious setting that's causing it
>> in my normal profile in Firefox 115.10.0esr on Linux:
>
> Talking about Windows and unrelated to CAptchas, I had recently during
> the middle of the day where couldn't log into Sunpass.com on my desktop
> Win10 Pro, but I could do so on the laptop win10 Home. After I finished
> doing what I had to on the laptop I went back to the desktop and still
> couldn't log in, it still said the server or somethiing was down and
> tray later. And I had the right address because the SunPass login
> screen was showing.
>
> Also, I reed the Carolyn Hax column on WashingtonPost.com. Emails come
> a few times a week with a link. One day, there was a question but no
> answer from her, yet the comments already posted referred to her answer
> and a second letter too. Eventually I was able to see the whole
> column.
> Also with the column, WaPo allows comments on most or all of its
> articles. If you comment on the Hax column and someone replies, you get
> an eamail notification with a link. Yesterday I got 5 comments, 5
> emails, but 2 of them allowed me to reply to the reply. Three had no
> way to do that, no "Reply" underneath the other party's text. I could
> see no reason why those 3 were different from the others. This had also
> happened a few days ago but then I t hought it was because I hadn't
> looked at the reply quickly enough. This last paragraph is almost
> surely the doing of WaPo, not FF, but it seems to show how erratic some
> software can appear.
>

>> Go to PayPal log-in page. Enter correct email and password. PayPal
>> loads a page saying "Security Challenge" with a Captcha (either
>> hCaptcha or reCaptcha). Upon completing the Captcha nothing
>> happens, there's no button to press, and reloading the page just
>> displays a new captcha.
>>
>> This happens with payments and when trying to log in to manage the
>> PayPal account. It's presented captchas to me here on and off for
>> years, but only in the last week or so has it been failing to move
>> on after I complete them.
>>
>> I disabled NoScript and Tracking Protection. Enabled the referer
>> header, and the "beacon" feature. That's all the settings I've
>> identified causing websites to malfunction before, so the next
>> step is slowly going one-by-one toggling all the settings that
>> might remotely be relevant. If someone's been here already, I'd
>> welcome any tips!

Temporary cookies can often facilitate returning to a web site you've
visited earlier. I have FF set to delete all cookies when closing.
When I'm using a site where login involves two factor authentication, if
I keep the tab open and minimize the browser and then later come back to
it, even if there's been an interval of putting the computer to sleep, I
can usually gain full access to the web site without having to go
through the 2FA process again. However, once I close FF, I'll have to
do the full 2FA process again. Your observation of apparently irregular
behavior of the WAPO web site could be related to that, or possibly in
the interval, WAPO has "closed" that specific discussion to further
comments. However, even if I haven't closed FF, if I close the tab,
when I go back to the same web site in an already open tab, the web site
reacts as if I had completely closed FF.

Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

<q3q22j1lluthcjfn4qtrol24acka9jh2dv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3436&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3436

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 14:38:28 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 18:38 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Thu, 18 Apr 2024 17:19:10 +0100, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> thankfully the audio alternative works OK.
>>
>> There is an audio alternative? Right there on the same page?
>
>Yes, see the headphone icon?

My mother always said I didn't pay attention. Now I have to wait until
another captcha ocmes up, and hope that I remember to look. But
eventually I will remember.

Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

<662a041a@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3457&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3457

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: 25 Apr 2024 17:19:54 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 07:19 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>> But I just tried turning off all extentions and I got through. I
>> think the "Select like a Boss" extension might have been upsetting
>> the page, since that's the only one I have besides NoScript which
>> changes webpage behaviour. I'll try again later while changing IP
>> addresses since PayPal seems to be letting me in without a captcha
>> on this address for the moment.
>
> No, it happened again with that extension disabled. It seems to be
> completely disabling the NoScript extension instead of just
> selecting "allow all in this tab" from its menu that does the
> trick. But it's very hard to test with PayPal not always displaying
> the captcha.

I couldn't reproduce that success either. If you try to log in
without completing the captcha more than a few times it starts
wanting a phone verification code, so testing by toggling random
non-default settings endlessly looks too difficult. I think I'm
defeated.

In the page source code you can see the form that it is supposed
to submit, but they've hidden the submit button so it can only be
sent by some obviously-buggy Javascript instead. Is there something
in the Firefox developer tools that can trigger a HTML form to be
submitted when you haven't got a submit button to press?

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

<v0djg5$30esf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3458&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3458

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 08:49:10 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 12:49 UTC

On 4/25/2024 3:19 AM, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>>> But I just tried turning off all extentions and I got through. I
>>> think the "Select like a Boss" extension might have been upsetting
>>> the page, since that's the only one I have besides NoScript which
>>> changes webpage behaviour. I'll try again later while changing IP
>>> addresses since PayPal seems to be letting me in without a captcha
>>> on this address for the moment.
>>
>> No, it happened again with that extension disabled. It seems to be
>> completely disabling the NoScript extension instead of just
>> selecting "allow all in this tab" from its menu that does the
>> trick. But it's very hard to test with PayPal not always displaying
>> the captcha.
>
> I couldn't reproduce that success either. If you try to log in
> without completing the captcha more than a few times it starts
> wanting a phone verification code, so testing by toggling random
> non-default settings endlessly looks too difficult. I think I'm
> defeated.
>
> In the page source code you can see the form that it is supposed
> to submit, but they've hidden the submit button so it can only be
> sent by some obviously-buggy Javascript instead. Is there something
> in the Firefox developer tools that can trigger a HTML form to be
> submitted when you haven't got a submit button to press?

I'd first try that web site one last time with FF, using the
"troubleshoot mode". If it still doesn't work, I'd try a different
browser such as DuckDuckGo or Opera. If no joy it could be a problem
with bad code on the web site and not a problem at your end.

Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha

<662ae5b4@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3459&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3459

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: 26 Apr 2024 09:22:28 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 23:22 UTC

Retirednoguilt <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:
> I'd first try that web site one last time with FF, using the
> "troubleshoot mode". If it still doesn't work, I'd try a different
> browser such as DuckDuckGo or Opera. If no joy it could be a problem
> with bad code on the web site and not a problem at your end.

As I said at the start it does work in the default profile, so what
I wanted to know is which of the countless settings changes in my
normal profile stops it working. I have been switching to the
default profile in order to get through, but it's annoying having
to restart Firefox (then logging in again to the website where I
want to pay for an order using PayPal - possibly going through
placing the order again from scratch) to do that. I also just flat
out hate so much about the default Firefox profile settings that
it's annoying on its own.

I've made an exception for PayPal cookies so they're not deleted
like everything else when I close the browser anymore. Maybe that
means PayPal won't force the captcha on me as often. I'd still like
a more convenient solution for when it inevitably does show the
captcha again, but it looks like I won't be able to find out by
toggling every setting in about:config as usual because PayPal's
log-in page is too paranoid about repeated log-in attempts (even
when I'm submitting the correct password each time!).

--
__ __

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: Stuck at PayPal Log-In Captcha