Stinginess with privileges is kindness in disguise. -- Guide to VAX/VMS Security, Sep. 1984

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

SubjectAuthor
* Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too largeJohn C.
+* Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too largeNewyana2
|`* Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too largeMark Lloyd
| `- Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too largeJohn C.
+* Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too largeknuttle
|`- Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too largeJohn C.
+* Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too largeBig Al
|+- Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too largemicky
|`* Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too largeJohn C.
| +* Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too largeBig Al
| |`- Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too largeJohn C.
| `* Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too largebad sector
|  `* Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too largeHarry
|   `- Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too largebad sector
`- Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large SOLVED!John C.

1
Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

<uvtkrl$2vldo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3437&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3437

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 04:34:11 -0700
 by: John C. - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 11:34 UTC

I'm sure this group has heard these complaints before, but I searched
the internet extensively and could find nothing that was helpful.

Am using the current version of Firefox (version 125.0.1 (64-bit)). When
I click on the hamburger (three stacked lines) and select "Bookmarks", I
can only see a list of "Recent bookmarks". There seems to be no way to
get to the dropdown so that I can see my carefully arranged list of all
my bookmarks.

That is problem number one.

To get around this, I right click to the right of the hamburger and
select "Customize Toolbar..." Once that window is open, at the bottom I
click on "Tookbarsv" and put a checkmark by "Menu Bar". Then I click the
"Done" button to close the Customize window.

Now I can see "Bookmarks" as a dropdown in the menu but still, why am I
prevented from doing so in the hamburger?

Problem number two is that in this version of Firefox, the line spacing
in the dropdown is *WAY* too much. I now have to scroll to see my
bookmarks and this wasn't a problem in earlier versions. I've looked in
vain for a way to reduce the size of the spaces between the lines in my
Bookmarks dropdown and it seems that nothing which helped before (like
userChrome) works any longer.

If you're going to reply to this post, please (if you can) can you
address both problems?

I'm really starting to hate Firefox. I personally believe that all the
developers are on drugs.

TIA

--
John C.

Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

<1283f553-29eb-07fe-15d7-5fc3904fbe97@invalid.nospam>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3438&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3438

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 08:45:00 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 12:45 UTC

On 4/19/2024 7:34 AM, John C. wrote:

> Now I can see "Bookmarks" as a dropdown in the menu but still, why am I
> prevented from doing so in the hamburger?

I don't know about the hamburger menu. I never use it.

> Problem number two is that in this version of Firefox, the line spacing
> in the dropdown is *WAY* too much. I now have to scroll to see my
> bookmarks and this wasn't a problem in earlier versions. I've looked in
> vain for a way to reduce the size of the spaces between the lines in my
> Bookmarks dropdown and it seems that nothing which helped before (like
> userChrome) works any longer.

I'm currently on 115ESR, but I expect the following should
work in 125.

I spent awhile trying to fix the problem you're describing.
I ended up with this, which looks normal. (The text color is
just my own preference.) This is in userChrome.css. Do you
know about that? It's in the profile folder\chrome. If you
don't have a chrome folder then you can create it and create
the userChrome.css file.

menu.bookmark-item, menuitem.bookmark-item {
line-height: 1.3 !important;
max-height: 18px !important;
color: #0000A0 !important;
font-family: verdana !important;
font-size: 10px !important;
}

menubar, menubutton, menulist, menu, menuitem {
font-family: verdana !important;
font-size: 10px !important;
color: #0000A0 !important;
line-height: 1.3 !important;
}

I think that only the top section is necessary, but the docs
on these settings have never really been there, and the
way they do it is not entirely kosher CSS.

Important: Be sure to add this nutty and obscure setting in
about:config, in order to make userChrome.css work:

toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets = true

(You couldn't make this stuff up.)

Also, if you're interested, this ridiculous pile of nonsense
will give you folder icons on the bookmarks menu, which I
find makes it much easier to read:

#PlacesToolbarItems toolbarbutton[container="true"] > .toolbarbutton-icon,
#PlacesToolbarItems menu[container="true"] .menu-iconic-left,
:-moz-any(
#PlacesToolbarItems,
#PlacesChevronPopup,
#BMB_bookmarksPopup,
#bookmarksMenu) menu[container="true"]:not([tagContainer="true"]) >
..menu-iconic-left,
/* Standard folder -- in Sidebar, Library, Add/Edit Bookmark dialog */
:-moz-any(
#bookmarks-view,
#editBMPanel_folderTree,
#placesList) treechildren::-moz-tree-image(container),
#editBMPanel_folderMenuList > .menulist-label-box > .menulist-icon,
#editBMPanel_folderMenuList menupopup menuitem {
list-style-image: url(fol.png) !important;
}

The reference to fol.png points to within the chrome folder.
Create a PNG file 16x16 to serve as the icon. Possibly a GIF
would also work, or even an ICO, but I didn't try it. The code
I found was using PNG.

https://i.postimg.cc/90cQ1gnC/FFBar.gif

> I'm really starting to hate Firefox. I personally believe that all the
> developers are on drugs.

Yes. It's unfortunate. Chrome spyware and its clones have
nearly taken over the Internet, while the Mozilla operation
seems to be staffed by teenagers who'd rather be playing
Grand Theft Auto. If you've ever looked for clear information
about things like prefs then you've probably come across their
online discussions. It appears that many of these decisions are
often made by one unsocialized geek with a bright idea, hanging
out in the snack room. The settings in general have become
a Rube Goldberg fiasco.

On the other hand, we can count our blessings. Settings disappear
entirely from Chrome as fast as they get screwed up in FF. Chrome
variants no longer allow even a menu bar or title bar. If you use
Chrome then you're stuck with a convoluted hamburger flyout
that only makes sense on a cellphone. Maybe the solution is to get
these people off their cellphones and make them actually go online
with the browser, on a real computer.

I figure it might take 1 month to have one assigned person
completely rewrite and document all settings in Firefox, which have
become increasingly messed up since Netsacpe days -- over 25 years.
About:config was originally a geeky option for corporate IT people
to control Netscape when used by employees, so it was deliberately
obscure.

Even better would
be to spend 2 months and provide a clear GUI for the settings.
One would think that with $1/2 billion a year to play with they
could afford to do that. If they skipped a few of the absurdly
frequent updates then the sky would be the limit. :)

Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

<uvtqmt$30nj4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3439&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3439

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 09:14:05 -0400
 by: knuttle - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:14 UTC

On 04/19/2024 7:34 AM, John C. wrote:
> I'm sure this group has heard these complaints before, but I searched
> the internet extensively and could find nothing that was helpful.
>
> Am using the current version of Firefox (version 125.0.1 (64-bit)). When
> I click on the hamburger (three stacked lines) and select "Bookmarks", I
> can only see a list of "Recent bookmarks". There seems to be no way to
> get to the dropdown so that I can see my carefully arranged list of all
> my bookmarks.
>
> That is problem number one.

I personally do not use the hamburger menu, but it works the same as
when you use Customize Menu (right click in menu toolbar) and add place
the main menu in the head. To do what you wish, click the hamburger.
It will show the BOOKMARK option. Click the arrow >, and you get a
complete list of you bookmarks. At the bottom of the popup, you will
see Manage Bookmarks.

As I see it the main difference between bookmarks from the main menu and
the Hamburger is that from the main menu you can see the book marks
sorted into folders which helps organize them

> To get around this, I right click to the right of the hamburger and
> select "Customize Toolbar..." Once that window is open, at the bottom I
> click on "Tookbarsv" and put a checkmark by "Menu Bar". Then I click the
> "Done" button to close the Customize window.
>
> Now I can see "Bookmarks" as a dropdown in the menu but still, why am I
> prevented from doing so in the hamburger?
>
> Problem number two is that in this version of Firefox, the line spacing
> in the dropdown is *WAY* too much. I now have to scroll to see my
> bookmarks and this wasn't a problem in earlier versions. I've looked in
> vain for a way to reduce the size of the spaces between the lines in my
> Bookmarks dropdown and it seems that nothing which helped before (like
> userChrome) works any longer.
>
> If you're going to reply to this post, please (if you can) can you
> address both problems?
>
> I'm really starting to hate Firefox. I personally believe that all the
> developers are on drugs.
>
> TIA

Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

<uvtu67$31h8r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3440&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3440

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 10:13:27 -0400
 by: Big Al - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:13 UTC

On 4/19/24 07:34 AM, John C. wrote:
> I'm sure this group has heard these complaints before, but I searched
> the internet extensively and could find nothing that was helpful.
>
> Am using the current version of Firefox (version 125.0.1 (64-bit)). When
> I click on the hamburger (three stacked lines) and select "Bookmarks", I
> can only see a list of "Recent bookmarks". There seems to be no way to
> get to the dropdown so that I can see my carefully arranged list of all
> my bookmarks.
>
> That is problem number one.
>
> To get around this, I right click to the right of the hamburger and
> select "Customize Toolbar..." Once that window is open, at the bottom I
> click on "Tookbarsv" and put a checkmark by "Menu Bar". Then I click the
> "Done" button to close the Customize window.
>
> Now I can see "Bookmarks" as a dropdown in the menu but still, why am I
> prevented from doing so in the hamburger?
>
> Problem number two is that in this version of Firefox, the line spacing
> in the dropdown is *WAY* too much. I now have to scroll to see my
> bookmarks and this wasn't a problem in earlier versions. I've looked in
> vain for a way to reduce the size of the spaces between the lines in my
> Bookmarks dropdown and it seems that nothing which helped before (like
> userChrome) works any longer.
>
> If you're going to reply to this post, please (if you can) can you
> address both problems?
>
> I'm really starting to hate Firefox. I personally believe that all the
> developers are on drugs.
>
> TIA

To add to others, you can just hit the alt key to see the menubar at the top. No need to put it
there via customize or permanent if you don't normally want it. I find the menu bar used so
infrequent that just hitting alt is enough for me.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 5.15.0-105-generic
Al

Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

<e9o52j1r6sd7rububccmflmfrjve62ou5p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3441&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3441

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 17:27:40 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 21:27 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Fri, 19 Apr 2024 10:13:27 -0400, Big Al
<alan@invalid.com> wrote:

>To add to others, you can just hit the alt key to see the menubar at the top. No need to put it
>there via customize or permanent if you don't normally want it. I find the menu bar used so
>infrequent that just hitting alt is enough for me.

Thanks. That's good to know. I do use the menus, I think, but I also
want more space on the screen, especially the laptop where increasingly
often there is an annoying popup which to be removed requires pressing
F11 to show more screen. Not sure this will help enough to stop that,
but it will make the visible screen bigger which is always good.

>--
>Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 5.15.0-105-generic
>Al

Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

<v00ctv$3ljfi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3442&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3442

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 05:37:15 -0700
 by: John C. - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 12:37 UTC

knuttle wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>>
>> I'm sure this group has heard these complaints before, but I searched
>> the internet extensively and could find nothing that was helpful.
>>
>> Am using the current version of Firefox (version 125.0.1 (64-bit)). When
>> I click on the hamburger (three stacked lines) and select "Bookmarks", I
>> can only see a list of "Recent bookmarks". There seems to be no way to
>> get to the dropdown so that I can see my carefully arranged list of all
>> my bookmarks.
>>
>> That is problem number one.
>
> I personally do not use the hamburger menu, but it works the same as
> when you use Customize Menu (right click in menu toolbar) and add place
> the main menu in the head.

???? That last bit "and add place the main menu in the head" doesn't
make sense to me. Did you mean that I should drag the "Bookmarks menu"
item (which looks like an underlined star) to the toolbar at the top of
the program window? I just did that and it does what I am looking for,
so thanks for that.

> To do what you wish, click the hamburger.
> It will show the BOOKMARK option. Click the arrow >, and you get a
> complete list of you bookmarks.  At the bottom of the popup, you will
> see Manage Bookmarks.
>
> As I see it the main difference between bookmarks from the main menu and
> the Hamburger is that from the main menu you can see the book marks
> sorted into folders which helps organize them

Yes, this is exactly the point I was making. However, putting the
"Bookmarks menu" button on the toolbar at the top of the program windows
takes care of this issue.

--
John C.

Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

<v00d11$3ljfi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3443&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3443

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 05:38:56 -0700
 by: John C. - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 12:38 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> On 4/19/24 07:34 AM, John C. wrote:
>> I'm sure this group has heard these complaints before, but I searched
>> the internet extensively and could find nothing that was helpful.
>>
>> Am using the current version of Firefox (version 125.0.1 (64-bit)). When
>> I click on the hamburger (three stacked lines) and select "Bookmarks", I
>> can only see a list of "Recent bookmarks". There seems to be no way to
>> get to the dropdown so that I can see my carefully arranged list of all
>> my bookmarks.
>>
>> That is problem number one.
>>
>> To get around this, I right click to the right of the hamburger and
>> select "Customize Toolbar..." Once that window is open, at the bottom I
>> click on "Tookbarsv" and put a checkmark by "Menu Bar". Then I click the
>> "Done" button to close the Customize window.
>>
>> Now I can see "Bookmarks" as a dropdown in the menu but still, why am I
>> prevented from doing so in the hamburger?
>>
>> Problem number two is that in this version of Firefox, the line spacing
>> in the dropdown is *WAY* too much. I now have to scroll to see my
>> bookmarks and this wasn't a problem in earlier versions. I've looked in
>> vain for a way to reduce the size of the spaces between the lines in my
>> Bookmarks dropdown and it seems that nothing which helped before (like
>> userChrome) works any longer.
>>
>> If you're going to reply to this post, please (if you can) can you
>> address both problems?
>>
>> I'm really starting to hate Firefox. I personally believe that all the
>> developers are on drugs.
>>
>> TIA
>
> To add to others, you can just hit the alt key to see the menubar at the
> top.  No need to put it there via customize or permanent if you don't
> normally want it.    I find the menu bar used so infrequent that just
> hitting alt is enough for me.

Glad that works for you, but it absolutely doesn't for me. Nice to know
about the alt thing, but I run FF with the menu bar showing.

--
John C.

Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

<v00d8k$3ll4a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3444&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3444

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 08:43:00 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 12:43 UTC

On 4/20/24 08:38 AM, John C. wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>> On 4/19/24 07:34 AM, John C. wrote:
>>> I'm sure this group has heard these complaints before, but I searched
>>> the internet extensively and could find nothing that was helpful.
>>>
>>> Am using the current version of Firefox (version 125.0.1 (64-bit)). When
>>> I click on the hamburger (three stacked lines) and select "Bookmarks", I
>>> can only see a list of "Recent bookmarks". There seems to be no way to
>>> get to the dropdown so that I can see my carefully arranged list of all
>>> my bookmarks.
>>>
>>> That is problem number one.
>>>
>>> To get around this, I right click to the right of the hamburger and
>>> select "Customize Toolbar..." Once that window is open, at the bottom I
>>> click on "Tookbarsv" and put a checkmark by "Menu Bar". Then I click the
>>> "Done" button to close the Customize window.
>>>
>>> Now I can see "Bookmarks" as a dropdown in the menu but still, why am I
>>> prevented from doing so in the hamburger?
>>>
>>> Problem number two is that in this version of Firefox, the line spacing
>>> in the dropdown is *WAY* too much. I now have to scroll to see my
>>> bookmarks and this wasn't a problem in earlier versions. I've looked in
>>> vain for a way to reduce the size of the spaces between the lines in my
>>> Bookmarks dropdown and it seems that nothing which helped before (like
>>> userChrome) works any longer.
>>>
>>> If you're going to reply to this post, please (if you can) can you
>>> address both problems?
>>>
>>> I'm really starting to hate Firefox. I personally believe that all the
>>> developers are on drugs.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> To add to others, you can just hit the alt key to see the menubar at the
>> top.  No need to put it there via customize or permanent if you don't
>> normally want it.    I find the menu bar used so infrequent that just
>> hitting alt is enough for me.
>
> Glad that works for you, but it absolutely doesn't for me. Nice to know
> about the alt thing, but I run FF with the menu bar showing.

And so it should be, to each his own, that's what makes a good app, just wish all developers would
understand that.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 5.15.0-105-generic
Al

Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

<uYSUN.4011$9pR2.2664@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3445&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3445

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
From: not.email@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 12:30:02 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 17:30 UTC

On 4/19/24 07:45, Newyana2 wrote:
> On 4/19/2024 7:34 AM, John C. wrote:
>
>> Now I can see "Bookmarks" as a dropdown in the menu but still, why am I
>> prevented from doing so in the hamburger?
>>
>    I don't know about the hamburger menu. I never use it.

About the only time I use it is to get the Menu bar back. That's one
thing Firefox sync DOESN'T handle.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It is my deliberate opinion that the one essential requisite of human
welfare in all ways is scientific knowledge of human nature." [Harriet
Martineau]

Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

<v08i82$1m9eq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3450&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3450

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 07:57:05 -0700
 by: John C. - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 14:57 UTC

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> Newyana2 wrote:
>> John C. wrote:
>>
>>> Now I can see "Bookmarks" as a dropdown in the menu but still, why am I
>>> prevented from doing so in the hamburger?
>>>
>> I don't know about the hamburger menu. I never use it.

Neither do I. I detest the extra clicks it now takes to get at certain
features.

> About the only time I use it is to get the Menu bar back. That's one
> thing Firefox sync DOESN'T handle.
>
> [snip]

Well I'm real glad for you, Mark, but I don't do things the way you do.
Are you trying to tell me that I should do things the way YOU do? >80(>

--
John C.

Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

<v08ian$1m9eq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3451&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3451

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 07:58:30 -0700
 by: John C. - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 14:58 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> On 4/20/24 08:38 AM, John C. wrote:
>> Big Al wrote:

>>> To add to others, you can just hit the alt key to see the menubar at the
>>> top.  No need to put it there via customize or permanent if you don't
>>> normally want it.    I find the menu bar used so infrequent that just
>>> hitting alt is enough for me.
>>
>> Glad that works for you, but it absolutely doesn't for me. Nice to know
>> about the alt thing, but I run FF with the menu bar showing.
>>
> And so it should be, to each his own, that's what makes a good app, just
> wish all developers would understand that.

+1 Al. Totally agree. I think they're removing features and code in
order to make things easier for the developers to maintain though.

--
John C.

Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large SOLVED!

<v08isl$1m9eq$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3452&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3452

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large SOLVED!
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 08:08:04 -0700
 by: John C. - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 15:08 UTC

I'm deliberately top-posting to make this solution easier to locate.

My thanks to "knuttle" for the solution, too!

The solution is to do the following:
1. Right click on the toolbar with the location or address field in it
2. Select "Customize Toolbar..."
3. In the tab that opens ("Customize Firefox"), drag the "Bookmarks
menu" button to the Location bar.
4. Close the "Customize Toolbar" tab.

Clicking on the new "Bookmarks menu" button will do the same thing as
clicking on "Bookmarks" in the menu bar, but the bookmarks and folders
will be spaced like they were in earlier versions of Firefox.

If the developers ever change things to widen the spacing when I do this
though, I am going to dump Firefox and go with Vivaldi, which I like
more and more every time I use it.

--
John C.

Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

<c9GdnSdvupN9h7H7nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3460&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3460

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 17:21:36 -0400
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
 by: bad sector - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 21:21 UTC

On 4/20/24 08:38, John C. wrote:

> I run FF with the menu bar showing.

Same here, I would like set up for

- just a few customizable nav buttons to the left (a la dolphin)

- of the full and totally conventional cascading menu bar

- have the true URL under links show in the title bar on mouseover

and end it with a full width editable location bar

just those three lines and NOTHING else, ever. Seems like a couple of
years ago some morons (and not just at mozilla) decided that THEY will
put an end to classic menu bars.

Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

<f763fde4ca2a02d7c7ede860e59b48f8@dizum.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3463&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3463

From: Harry@Uptown.Net
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 05:06:05 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
 by: Harry@Uptown.Net - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 03:06 UTC

In article <c9GdnSdvupN9h7H7nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>
bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:

> On 4/20/24 08:38, John C. wrote:
>
> > I run FF with the menu bar showing.
>
> Same here, I would like set up for
>
> - just a few customizable nav buttons to the left (a la dolphin)
>
> - of the full and totally conventional cascading menu bar
>
> - have the true URL under links show in the title bar on mouseover
>
> and end it with a full width editable location bar
>
> just those three lines and NOTHING else, ever. Seems like a couple of
> years ago some morons (and not just at mozilla) decided that THEY will
> put an end to classic menu bars.

Just about all techs are morons who think they have to add everything
they know into a program. Screw easy usage for the average user. That's
why I rarely update my OS or apps unless they contain a rather serious
flaw

Re: Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large

<Dr-cnWKeyYuwOKP7nZ2dnZfqn_EAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3953&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3953

Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 18:52:29 -0400
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
 by: bad sector - Fri, 10 May 2024 22:52 UTC

On 4/26/24 23:06, Harry@Uptown.Net wrote:
> In article <c9GdnSdvupN9h7H7nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>
> bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/20/24 08:38, John C. wrote:
>>
>>> I run FF with the menu bar showing.
>>
>> Same here, I would like set up for
>>
>> - just a few customizable nav buttons to the left (a la dolphin)
>>
>> - of the full and totally conventional cascading menu bar
>>
>> - have the true URL under links show in the title bar on mouseover
>>
>> and end it with a full width editable location bar
>>
>> just those three lines and NOTHING else, ever. Seems like a couple of
>> years ago some morons (and not just at mozilla) decided that THEY will
>> put an end to classic menu bars.
>
> Just about all techs are morons who think they have to add everything
> they know into a program. Screw easy usage for the average user. That's
> why I rarely update my OS or apps unless they contain a rather serious
> flaw

I think it might be the hand-helds' tsunami and a desire to please that
shit-for-interface market. The desktop is so far behind in market-share
that it might never be a serious contender again :-(

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Bookmarks dropdown line spacing is too large