"If you are afraid of loneliness, don't marry." -- Chekhov

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Firefox Zoom

SubjectAuthor
* Firefox ZoomDave
+* Re: Firefox ZoomRalph Fox
|+* Re: Firefox ZoomDave
||`- Re: Firefox ZoomBig Al
|`* Re: Firefox ZoomVanguardLH
| +- Re: Firefox ZoomNews
| `- Re: Firefox ZoomRetirednoguilt
`- Re: Firefox ZoomRetirednoguilt

1
Firefox Zoom

<5b4fdea060dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3375&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3375

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Firefox Zoom
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:29:00 +0100
 by: Dave - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:29 UTC

Good day folks... :-)

The Zoom facility in Firefox + or - jumps in rather odd increments, and
I'm wondering why and is it configurable somewhere?

I'm particularly interested in the minus values.
Example:
The default here is 100% click (minus) - and it decreases to 90%, 80%,
67%, 50% and 30%

Earlier today I was doing some work with Fx and could have done with a
minus value somewhere in between 50 and 67% (55 or maybe 60%).

Can the values be reset/configured somewhere or are they hard coded?

Thanks
Dave S

Re: Firefox Zoom

<t7gf1jtuhlspmoj55maob545a0orjl0v2q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3376&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3376

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Firefox Zoom
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 23:01:03 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:01 UTC

On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:29:00 +0100, Dave wrote:

> Good day folks... :-)
>
> The Zoom facility in Firefox + or - jumps in rather odd increments, and
> I'm wondering why and is it configurable somewhere?
>
> I'm particularly interested in the minus values.
> Example:
> The default here is 100% click (minus) - and it decreases to 90%, 80%,
> 67%, 50% and 30%
>
> Earlier today I was doing some work with Fx and could have done with a
> minus value somewhere in between 50 and 67% (55 or maybe 60%).
>
> Can the values be reset/configured somewhere or are they hard coded?
>
> Thanks
> Dave S

Search about:config for zoom

See <https://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues>

I have not tested adjusting the preference - do so at your risk not mine.

But also see <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1245141>;
which implies that in some cases you may also need to restart Firefox.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Seek till you find, and you'll not lose your labour.

Re: Firefox Zoom

<5b4fe2918cdave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3377&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3377

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 12:12:07 +0100
 by: Dave - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:12 UTC

In article <t7gf1jtuhlspmoj55maob545a0orjl0v2q@4ax.com>,
Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:29:00 +0100, Dave wrote:

> > Good day folks... :-)
> >
> > The Zoom facility in Firefox + or - jumps in rather odd increments, and
> > I'm wondering why and is it configurable somewhere?
> >
> > I'm particularly interested in the minus values.
> > Example:
> > The default here is 100% click (minus) - and it decreases to 90%, 80%,
> > 67%, 50% and 30%
> >
> > Earlier today I was doing some work with Fx and could have done with a
> > minus value somewhere in between 50 and 67% (55 or maybe 60%).
> >
> > Can the values be reset/configured somewhere or are they hard coded?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dave S

> Search about:config for zoom

> See <https://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues>

> I have not tested adjusting the preference - do so at your risk not mine.

> But also see <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1245141>;
> which implies that in some cases you may also need to restart Firefox.

Yes, that works okay.

Thanks
Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Firefox Zoom

<uv8ibj$1loud$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3378&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3378

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 07:42:43 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:42 UTC

On 4/11/24 07:12 AM, Dave wrote:
> In article <t7gf1jtuhlspmoj55maob545a0orjl0v2q@4ax.com>,
> Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:29:00 +0100, Dave wrote:
>
>>> Good day folks... :-)
>>>
>>> The Zoom facility in Firefox + or - jumps in rather odd increments, and
>>> I'm wondering why and is it configurable somewhere?
>>>
>>> I'm particularly interested in the minus values.
>>> Example:
>>> The default here is 100% click (minus) - and it decreases to 90%, 80%,
>>> 67%, 50% and 30%
>>>
>>> Earlier today I was doing some work with Fx and could have done with a
>>> minus value somewhere in between 50 and 67% (55 or maybe 60%).
>>>
>>> Can the values be reset/configured somewhere or are they hard coded?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dave S
>

>> Search about:config for zoom
>
>> See <https://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues>
>
>> I have not tested adjusting the preference - do so at your risk not mine.
>
>> But also see <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1245141>;
>> which implies that in some cases you may also need to restart Firefox.
>
> Yes, that works okay.
>
> Thanks
> Dave

I changed my zoom. I wanted a bit more granularity.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 5.15.0-102-generic
Al

Re: Firefox Zoom

<uv94fg$1pdak$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3381&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3381

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 12:52:00 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 16:52 UTC

On 4/11/2024 6:29 AM, Dave wrote:
> Good day folks... :-)
>
> The Zoom facility in Firefox + or - jumps in rather odd increments, and
> I'm wondering why and is it configurable somewhere?
>
> I'm particularly interested in the minus values.
> Example:
> The default here is 100% click (minus) - and it decreases to 90%, 80%,
> 67%, 50% and 30%
>
> Earlier today I was doing some work with Fx and could have done with a
> minus value somewhere in between 50 and 67% (55 or maybe 60%).
>
> Can the values be reset/configured somewhere or are they hard coded?
>
> Thanks
> Dave S

Try the add-on NoSquint Plus. Very adjustable and can remember
different levels of zoom for each web site. Does not disable the Ctl
+/- feature built in to FF.

Re: Firefox Zoom

<1xbu034b9rbvc$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3382&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3382

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 15:16:23 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:16 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
>> The Zoom facility in Firefox + or - jumps in rather odd increments, and
>> I'm wondering why and is it configurable somewhere?
>>
>> I'm particularly interested in the minus values.
>> Example:
>> The default here is 100% click (minus) - and it decreases to 90%, 80%,
>> 67%, 50% and 30%
>>
>> Earlier today I was doing some work with Fx and could have done with a
>> minus value somewhere in between 50 and 67% (55 or maybe 60%).
>>
>> Can the values be reset/configured somewhere or are they hard coded?
>
> Search about:config for zoom
>
> See <https://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues>
>
> I have not tested adjusting the preference - do so at your risk not mine.
>
> But also see <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1245141>;
> which implies that in some cases you may also need to restart Firefox.

While that setting specifies the increments when using Ctrl with + or -
keys, using Ctrl+mousewheel changes zoom in 10% increments. Maybe the
fixed 10% increments by using the mousewheel would provide the smoother
zoom change the OP wants.

With Ctrl+mousewheel, the minimum and maximum zoom at 30% and 500% with
10% granularity.

Re: Firefox Zoom

<5b5047eadbnews@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3389&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3389

From: news@triffid.co.uk (News)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 06:39:03 +0100
 by: News - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 05:39 UTC

In article <1xbu034b9rbvc$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>,
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
[Snippy]

> While that setting specifies the increments when using Ctrl with + or -
> keys, using Ctrl+mousewheel changes zoom in 10% increments. Maybe the
> fixed 10% increments by using the mousewheel would provide the smoother
> zoom change the OP wants.

> With Ctrl+mousewheel, the minimum and maximum zoom at 30% and 500% with
> 10% granularity.

After the advice yesterday, I'm using both methods.

I've made a couple of adjustments in Fx Preferences and am using the Ctrl
+ Mouse scroll for a particularly troublesome magazine reader.

Appreciated the advice.

D.

Re: Firefox Zoom

<uvbats$2c4qs$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=3393&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#3393

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 08:54:20 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 12:54 UTC

On 4/11/2024 4:16 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Dave wrote:
>>
>>> The Zoom facility in Firefox + or - jumps in rather odd increments, and
>>> I'm wondering why and is it configurable somewhere?
>>>
>>> I'm particularly interested in the minus values.
>>> Example:
>>> The default here is 100% click (minus) - and it decreases to 90%, 80%,
>>> 67%, 50% and 30%
>>>
>>> Earlier today I was doing some work with Fx and could have done with a
>>> minus value somewhere in between 50 and 67% (55 or maybe 60%).
>>>
>>> Can the values be reset/configured somewhere or are they hard coded?
>>
>> Search about:config for zoom
>>
>> See <https://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues>
>>
>> I have not tested adjusting the preference - do so at your risk not mine.
>>
>> But also see <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1245141>;
>> which implies that in some cases you may also need to restart Firefox.
>
> While that setting specifies the increments when using Ctrl with + or -
> keys, using Ctrl+mousewheel changes zoom in 10% increments. Maybe the
> fixed 10% increments by using the mousewheel would provide the smoother
> zoom change the OP wants.
>
> With Ctrl+mousewheel, the minimum and maximum zoom at 30% and 500% with
> 10% granularity.

If you use Windows, at least in Windows 10 (haven't migrated to Win 11
yet), go to settings and search for Magnifier. If you turn Magnifier
on, you can use the mouse wheel to zoom in/out if you hold down the Ctl
and Alt keys at the same time. Zoom adjustments can be set to between
5% and 400% on my PC.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Firefox Zoom