This place just isn't big enough for all of us. We've got to find a way off this planet.

computers / comp.sys.mac.vintage / Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

SubjectAuthor
* Why isn't there more activity here?Sebastian P.
+* Re: Why isn't there more activity here?scole
|`* Re: Why isn't there more activity here?John
| +* Re: Why isn't there more activity here?Knezzen
| |+- Re: Why isn't there more activity here?John
| |`- Re: Why isn't there more activity here?Liz Tuddenham
| +- Re: Why isn't there more activity here?scole
| `- Re: Why isn't there more activity here?Scott Alfter
`* Re: Why isn't there more activity here?Mike Dee
 `* Re: Why isn't there more activity here?D Finnigan
  `* Re: Why isn't there more activity here?Ira Lieberman
   `- Re: Why isn't there more activity here?Mike Dee

1
Why isn't there more activity here?

<info-5263FF.15382419042024@news.individual.de>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=330&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#330

From: info@cornica.org (Sebastian P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Subject: Why isn't there more activity here?
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 15:38:24 +0200
 by: Sebastian P. - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:38 UTC

You'd think Usenet is just perfect for vintage Mac fans - it's low-tech and runs
fine on a Mac Plus. You can post right from the very machines you're talking
about. If I check other vintage computers, their newsgroups appears to have at
least some more traffic. So why isn't this place more lively?

On a sidenote: anyone on here via Terminal on a vintage Mac (e.g. ZTerm?) Does
that even still work for accessing Usenet?

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<190420241649239529%vintageapplemac@gmail.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=331&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#331

From: vintageapplemac@gmail.com (scole)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Subject: Re: Why isn't there more activity here?
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:49:23 +0000
 by: scole - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:49 UTC

In article <info-5263FF.15382419042024@news.individual.de>, Sebastian
P. <info@cornica.org> wrote:

> You'd think Usenet is just perfect for vintage Mac fans - it's low-tech and
> runs
> fine on a Mac Plus. You can post right from the very machines you're talking
> about. If I check other vintage computers, their newsgroups appears to have
> at
> least some more traffic. So why isn't this place more lively?

Agreed. I actually, as we speak, have an article in draft for
vintageapplemac.com where I'm encouraging Mac users to hit Usenet up,
now that "Eternal February" is with us post-Google, Usenet could be a
real boon for vintage computer users, almost our own enclave! I will be
posting it at the weekend, if I manage to entice a single vintage Mac
user to take a look here, that'd be a win.

> On a sidenote: anyone on here via Terminal on a vintage Mac (e.g. ZTerm?)
> Does
> that even still work for accessing Usenet?

No clue, sorry, I'm using YA-NewsWatcher.

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<864jbp14pz.fsf@building-m.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=332&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#332

From: john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net (John)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 22:02:00 +0000
 by: John - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 22:02 UTC

scole <vintageapplemac@gmail.com> writes:

> In article <info-5263FF.15382419042024@news.individual.de>, Sebastian
> P. <info@cornica.org> wrote:
>
>> You'd think Usenet is just perfect for vintage Mac fans - it's low-tech and
>> runs
>> fine on a Mac Plus. You can post right from the very machines you're talking
>> about. If I check other vintage computers, their newsgroups appears to have
>> at
>> least some more traffic. So why isn't this place more lively?
>
> Agreed. I actually, as we speak, have an article in draft for
> vintageapplemac.com where I'm encouraging Mac users to hit Usenet up,
> now that "Eternal February" is with us post-Google, Usenet could be a
> real boon for vintage computer users, almost our own enclave! I will be
> posting it at the weekend, if I manage to entice a single vintage Mac
> user to take a look here, that'd be a win.

Good luck!

>> On a sidenote: anyone on here via Terminal on a vintage Mac (e.g. ZTerm?)
>> Does
>> that even still work for accessing Usenet?

You could use ZTerm to connect to a Unix system via serial or modem,
then run a command-line newsreader. Not very Mac-ish, of course.

> No clue, sorry, I'm using YA-NewsWatcher.

If you've got a minute, I'd be interested to hear a comparison between
the various versions of NewsWatcher, e.g. YA-, MT-, VA-

john

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<contact-4259F0.12193626042024@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=333&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#333

From: contact@unixfiles.org (Knezzen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 12:19:36 +0200
 by: Knezzen - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 10:19 UTC

In article <864jbp14pz.fsf@building-m.net>,
John <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> wrote:

> scole <vintageapplemac@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > In article <info-5263FF.15382419042024@news.individual.de>, Sebastian
> > P. <info@cornica.org> wrote:
> >
> >> You'd think Usenet is just perfect for vintage Mac fans - it's low-tech
> >> and
> >> runs
> >> fine on a Mac Plus. You can post right from the very machines you're
> >> talking
> >> about. If I check other vintage computers, their newsgroups appears to
> >> have
> >> at
> >> least some more traffic. So why isn't this place more lively?
> >
> > Agreed. I actually, as we speak, have an article in draft for
> > vintageapplemac.com where I'm encouraging Mac users to hit Usenet up,
> > now that "Eternal February" is with us post-Google, Usenet could be a
> > real boon for vintage computer users, almost our own enclave! I will be
> > posting it at the weekend, if I manage to entice a single vintage Mac
> > user to take a look here, that'd be a win.
>
> Good luck!
>
> >> On a sidenote: anyone on here via Terminal on a vintage Mac (e.g. ZTerm?)
> >> Does
> >> that even still work for accessing Usenet?
>
> You could use ZTerm to connect to a Unix system via serial or modem,
> then run a command-line newsreader. Not very Mac-ish, of course.
>

> > No clue, sorry, I'm using YA-NewsWatcher.
>
> If you've got a minute, I'd be interested to hear a comparison between
> the various versions of NewsWatcher, e.g. YA-, MT-, VA-
>

> john

Usenet is really vintage friendly, indeed. And there's plenty of
newsreaders around that work really well. I'm using MT-NewsWatcher to
write this on my PowerBook G4 Titanium.

Let's hope for a UseNet renaissance!

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<86zftgyu73.fsf@building-m.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=334&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#334

From: john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net (John)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 16:17:36 +0000
 by: John - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 16:17 UTC

Knezzen <contact@unixfiles.org> writes:

> Usenet is really vintage friendly, indeed. And there's plenty of
> newsreaders around that work really well. I'm using MT-NewsWatcher to
> write this on my PowerBook G4 Titanium.
>
> Let's hope for a UseNet renaissance!

I have no doubt Usenet will outlive the last set of non-broken TiBook
hinges.

One reason I don't use mine much anymore is the terrible groaning creak
it makes when I open the lid. I just dread that inevitable CRACK.

john

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<1qsn33n.1wsed811ruzn62N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=335&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#335

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:50:19 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:50 UTC

Knezzen <contact@unixfiles.org> wrote:

[...]
> Usenet is really vintage friendly, indeed. And there's plenty of
> newsreaders around that work really well. I'm using MT-NewsWatcher to
> write this on my PowerBook G4 Titanium.

I'm using MacSOUP 2.4.6 on a beige G3 running OS 8.6

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<030520240759379780%vintageapplemac@gmail.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=336&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#336

From: vintageapplemac@gmail.com (scole)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 03 May 2024 07:59:37 +0000
 by: scole - Fri, 3 May 2024 07:59 UTC

In article <864jbp14pz.fsf@building-m.net>, John
<john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> wrote:

> scole <vintageapplemac@gmail.com> writes:>
>
> > No clue, sorry, I'm using YA-NewsWatcher.
>
> If you've got a minute, I'd be interested to hear a comparison between
> the various versions of NewsWatcher, e.g. YA-, MT-, VA-

I have used YA and MT, and also Thoth which is pretty similar, but it
was about a decade ago that I last used MT so I can't recall the
nuances.

They're all much of a muchness, imo. I'm enjoying using YA now more
than I was enjoying Thoth, though. Can't put my finger on why, because
they are very similar, I guess that YA feels a little less clunky than
Thoth.

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<mikedee-0705241416500001@basil.zacglen.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=337&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#337

From: mikedee@emteedee.invalid (Mike Dee)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Tue, 07 May 2024 14:16:50 +1000
 by: Mike Dee - Tue, 7 May 2024 04:16 UTC

<info@cornica.org> wrote:

> You'd think Usenet is just perfect for vintage Mac fans - it's low-tech
and runs
> fine on a Mac Plus. You can post right from the very machines you're talking
> about. If I check other vintage computers, their newsgroups appears to
have at
> least some more traffic. So why isn't this place more lively?

Agreed, however in usenet terms this froup is very new, and has only
existed since 2018 or 2019. It takes a while to get a good base of
posters, especially as it was formed during the darkest period of
horrendous Google postings (spam, trolling, etc)...

Maybe we'll see a usenet revival now Google has finally gone, and more
people will discover this little corner of the usenet ;-)

Here's hoping.

--
Dee

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<hgt_N.79285$TyYf.50230@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=338&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#338

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
From: scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us (Scott Alfter)
Originator: scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us (Scott Alfter)
Date: Tue, 07 May 2024 17:10:37 GMT
 by: Scott Alfter - Tue, 7 May 2024 17:10 UTC

In article <864jbp14pz.fsf@building-m.net>,
John <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> wrote:
>scole <vintageapplemac@gmail.com> writes:
>>> On a sidenote: anyone on here via Terminal on a vintage Mac (e.g. ZTerm?)
>>> Does
>>> that even still work for accessing Usenet?
>
>You could use ZTerm to connect to a Unix system via serial or modem,
>then run a command-line newsreader. Not very Mac-ish, of course.

FWIW, that's basically what I sometimes did from the Macs in the basement of
my dorm back in the day, except it was a telnet client connecting over the
campus network. Other times, I'd dial in from the IIe in my room, but the
computers in the basement lab didn't keep the phone line tied up while they
were in use.

(Of course, back then, "UNIX system" meant anything from a NeXTcube on up to
some seriously big iron. Nowadays, a Raspberry Pi would stomp any of them
while providing a similar experience. :) )

--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<dog_cow-1715113670@macgui.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=339&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#339

From: dog_cow@macgui.com (D Finnigan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 20:27:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: D Finnigan - Tue, 7 May 2024 20:27 UTC

Mike Dee wrote:
> In article <info-5263FF.15382419042024@news.individual.de>, "Sebastian P."
> <info@cornica.org> wrote:
>
>> You'd think Usenet is just perfect for vintage Mac fans - it's low-tech
> and runs
>> fine on a Mac Plus. You can post right from the very machines you're
>> talking
>> about. If I check other vintage computers, their newsgroups appears to
> have at
>> least some more traffic. So why isn't this place more lively?
>
> Agreed, however in usenet terms this froup is very new, and has only
> existed since 2018 or 2019. It takes a while to get a good base of
> posters, especially as it was formed during the darkest period of
> horrendous Google postings (spam, trolling, etc)...

I have archives for comp.sys.mac.vintage that go back to 2013, ten years
ago.

https://macgui.com/usenet/?stats=117

--
]DF$
The New Apple II User's Guide:

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<ks7l3jd2lnnrjl0fpul4s1keri8v20a2cg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=340&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#340

From: iml.removethis@cfl.rr.com (Ira Lieberman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Tue, 07 May 2024 17:43:26 -0400
 by: Ira Lieberman - Tue, 7 May 2024 21:43 UTC

On Tue, 7 May 2024 20:27:52 -0000 (UTC), D Finnigan
<dog_cow@macgui.com> wrote:

>Mike Dee wrote:
>> In article <info-5263FF.15382419042024@news.individual.de>, "Sebastian P."
>> <info@cornica.org> wrote:
>>
>>> You'd think Usenet is just perfect for vintage Mac fans - it's low-tech
>> and runs
>>> fine on a Mac Plus. You can post right from the very machines you're
>>> talking
>>> about. If I check other vintage computers, their newsgroups appears to
>> have at
>>> least some more traffic. So why isn't this place more lively?
>>
>> Agreed, however in usenet terms this froup is very new, and has only
>> existed since 2018 or 2019. It takes a while to get a good base of
>> posters, especially as it was formed during the darkest period of
>> horrendous Google postings (spam, trolling, etc)...
>
>I have archives for comp.sys.mac.vintage that go back to 2013, ten years
>ago.
>
>https://macgui.com/usenet/?stats=117

Same here. I don't know how long the group was around before I
discovered it, but in 2013 there was an attempt (Stephen Cole) to
create a FAQ, but I didn't see any follow-ups.

=IML=

Re: Why isn't there more activity here?

<XnsB16C7546C20A4mikedee@emteedee.invalid>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=341&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#341

From: mikedee@emteedee.invalid (Mike Dee)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Wed, 8 May 2024 01:31:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Dee - Wed, 8 May 2024 01:31 UTC

Ira Lieberman wrote:

> On Tue, 7 May 2024 20:27:52 -0000 (UTC), D Finnigan
> <dog_cow@macgui.com> wrote:
>
>>Mike Dee wrote:
>>> In article <info-5263FF.15382419042024@news.individual.de>,
[...]
>>> Agreed, however in usenet terms this froup is very new, and has
>>> only existed since 2018 or 2019. It takes a while to get a good
>>> base of posters, especially as it was formed during the darkest
>>> period of horrendous Google postings (spam, trolling, etc)...
>>
>>I have archives for comp.sys.mac.vintage that go back to 2013, ten
>>years ago.
>>
>>https://macgui.com/usenet/?stats=117
>
> Same here. I don't know how long the group was around before I
> discovered it, but in 2013 there was an attempt (Stephen Cole) to
> create a FAQ, but I didn't see any follow-ups.

ISC. Sorry.

Even so, a decade isn't ancient in usenet terms.

Google Groups can no longer be posted to. So get posting those good
actual newsposts, folks :-)

--
dee

computers / comp.sys.mac.vintage / Re: Why isn't there more activity here?