From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Firefox 123.0
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:14:16 -0500
 by: Big Al - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:14 UTC

New feature.

"Having any issues with a website on Firefox, yet the site seems to be working as expected on
another browser? You can now let us know via the Web Compatibility Reporting Tool! By filing a web
compatibility issue, you’re directly helping us detect, target, and fix the most impacted sites to
make your browsing experience on Firefox smoother."

Maybe some may get help with problematic sites.
I'm sure they are going to ask you run with no add-ons or userChrome.css before reporting.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

Re: Firefox 123.0

<rncanmc047jw.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2974&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2974

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Firefox 123.0
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 01:22:48 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 07:22 UTC

Big Al <alan@invalid.com> wrote:

> New feature.
>
> "Having any issues with a website on Firefox, yet the site seems to be working as expected on
> another browser? You can now let us know via the Web Compatibility Reporting Tool! By filing a web
> compatibility issue, you’re directly helping us detect, target, and fix the most impacted sites to
> make your browsing experience on Firefox smoother."
>
> Maybe some may get help with problematic sites.
> I'm sure they are going to ask you run with no add-ons or userChrome.css before reporting.

Or even do a reset (refresh) to create a default profile void of any
add-ons, config changes, and tweaks in about:config. Else, the number
of user-customized configurations is too vast to focus on analysis.

Re: Firefox 123.0

<ur7qfm$3uqd6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2976&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2976

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 08:50:11 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 15:50 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> Big Al <alan@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> New feature.
>>
>> "Having any issues with a website on Firefox, yet the site seems to be working as expected on
>> another browser? You can now let us know via the Web Compatibility Reporting Tool! By filing a web
>> compatibility issue, you’re directly helping us detect, target, and fix the most impacted sites to
>> make your browsing experience on Firefox smoother."
>>
>> Maybe some may get help with problematic sites.
>> I'm sure they are going to ask you run with no add-ons or userChrome.css before reporting.
>
> Or even do a reset (refresh) to create a default profile void of any
> add-ons, config changes, and tweaks in about:config. Else, the number
> of user-customized configurations is too vast to focus on analysis.

That's what I do. I keep an empty profile where the only non-default
settings are the home page (where I set it to use the automatic export
of my bookmarks) and where I have it set to discard all user data at the
end of a session.

If I encounter a site that isn't behaving the way it should wen I'm
using my very-tweaked regular profile, the first step is to verify that
the problem isn't coming from my preferences, rather than generically
Firefox.

If a site is OK on the all-defaults profile, then there's no point in
complaining about something "not working with Firefox".

That said, I have seen sites that won't work correctly with Firefox, and
even a few that won't even work correctly with Chromium browsers such as
Opera or Edge, and where it's "Chrome or nothing". It's unfortunate
that developers do Chrome exclusively. For those, the Compatibility
Reporter is a welcome tool. But at the same time, if issues are related
to my specific profile, then that's my problem and not something to
concern the developers of either Firefox or web sites about.

Smith

Re: Firefox 123.0

<ur7u6m$3vj6j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2977&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2977

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:53:42 -0500
 by: Big Al - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 16:53 UTC

On 2/22/24 10:50 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
> That's what I do.  I keep an empty profile where the only non-default settings are the home page
> (where I set it to use the automatic export of my bookmarks) and where I have it set to discard all
> user data at the end of a session.
That's not a bad idea for everyone. I would much rather start a null profile than try resetting my
current one. And it's kinda fun to see what Firefox/Thunderbird look like as the developers
designed it, not the way I design it with css and add-ons.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

Re: Firefox 123.0

<ly13c4abpy11.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2978&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2978

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 15:23:02 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:23 UTC

Big Al <alan@invalid.com> wrote:

> NFN Smith wrote:
>
>> That's what I do.  I keep an empty profile where the only non-default settings are the home page
>> (where I set it to use the automatic export of my bookmarks) and where I have it set to discard all
>> user data at the end of a session.
>
> That's not a bad idea for everyone. I would much rather start a null
> profile than try resetting my current one. And it's kinda fun to see
> what Firefox/Thunderbird look like as the developers designed it, not
> the way I design it with css and add-ons.

In my "Test with defaults" profile, I did make some tweaks, but to get
rid of helper functions. Under about:preferences, I changed:

- General
Startup
o Open previous windows and tabs (off).
Tabs
o Immediately switch to new tabs (on).
Files and Applications
o Applications: Ask whether to open or save files (enabled).
o New Windows and Tabs
* Home page and new windows = blank page.
* New tabs = blank page.
o Firefox Home Content (all deselected).
o Search suggestions (all off).
o Address bar. All on except for:
* Search engines
* Suggestions from Firefox
* Suggestions from sponsors
* Improve the Firefox Suggest experience (off).
- Privacy & Security
o Website Privacy Preferences
* Tell websites not to sell or share my data (off).
* Send websites a "Do Not Track" request (off).
o Cookies and Site Data
* Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed (on).
* Passwords
~ Suggest strong passwords (off).
~ Suggest Firefox Relay email masks (off).

o Autofill (all off).
o History
* Clear history when Firefox closes (all data types selected).
o Permissions
* Camera, Microphone, Notifications, Virtual Reality: all blocked.
* Location: not blocked
* Autoplay: block audio and video
o Firefox Data Collection and Use (all off).
o DNS over HTTPS (off - use system settings).

Those get rid of most of the helper functions. I didn't go into
about:config to tweak anything. The install-time defaults are too user
untoward (reduced security and privacy), so I still tweak the test
profile. There are many about:config settings for security, like to
reduce all the background connections by Firefox, but I left those as
they were for defaults.

Rather than have to load Firefox to use about:profiles to switch between
profiles, I have a separate "Firefox - Profile Manager" shortcut that
runs "firefox.exe -P".

It's easy to see if I changed to the default or Test profiles. The
toolbar will be devoid of add-on icons (I dislike the Extensions toolbar
button for rolling together multiple add-ons under a drop-down list).

Re: Firefox 123.0

<urat3l$nfeg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2979&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2979

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 12:53:23 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 19:53 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> Big Al <alan@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> NFN Smith wrote:
>>
>>> That's what I do.  I keep an empty profile where the only non-default settings are the home page
>>> (where I set it to use the automatic export of my bookmarks) and where I have it set to discard all
>>> user data at the end of a session.
>>
>> That's not a bad idea for everyone. I would much rather start a null
>> profile than try resetting my current one. And it's kinda fun to see
>> what Firefox/Thunderbird look like as the developers designed it, not
>> the way I design it with css and add-ons.
>
> In my "Test with defaults" profile, I did make some tweaks, but to get > rid of helper functions. Under about:preferences, I changed:

That's good info. Thanks for sharing it. Although I think there is merit
to Big Al's suggestion of having a profile that presents Firefox as
designed (and useful for support of others that probably have mostly
default settings), I may try using these settings to do another profile
that's explicitly for testing (and as you suggest, disabling all the
helper functions.

> Rather than have to load Firefox to use about:profiles to switch between
> profiles, I have a separate "Firefox - Profile Manager" shortcut that
> runs "firefox.exe -P".

I always forget about about:profiles, including the capacity of
launching an additional profile without closing out the current profile.
However, I do have Firefox set so that when I launch it, I go through
the profile manager (which is the same as launching with the -P switch).

One of the things that I've found is that besides testing profiles, I
like having separate profiles for work and personal use. On the work
profile, I only use that for a handful of sites, and as a result, my
permissions on NoScript are a little less stringent than the profile
that I have for personal use. Thus, on the work profile, I have
something like googletagmanager permanently whitelisted, because I need
it for those sites. By contrast, on the personal profile, I visit a lot
more sites, and I only temporarily whitelist googletagmanager if a
specific site requires it (and then remove whitelisting when I'm done
with that site).

Doing shortcuts with the -P (and specifying profile name) has other
productive uses. For me, in Seamonkey, I make use of the Open With
extension, where I have the ability to open a link in a specific
browser. Since that's configured with the full path of a browser, not
only do I have options for several browsers, but in Firefox, I have
those set to use the -P, and if I right-click on a link or a tab or a
bookmark, then I can open choose Firefox with the preferred profile.

> It's easy to see if I changed to the default or Test profiles. The
> toolbar will be devoid of add-on icons (I dislike the Extensions toolbar
> button for rolling together multiple add-ons under a drop-down list).

What I've done is that I install a unique theme in each profile. For
this, nothing elaborate, just a solid layout and where each profile has
a different color. Thus, easy to tell at a glance which profile I'm seeing.

Smith

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: Firefox 123.0