From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Deleting certificates in Firefox
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 06:01:36 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 12:01 UTC

Firefox x64 122.0.1
Windows 10 Home x64 22H2

Cannot delete a personal certificate in Firefox (those listed under the
"Your Certificates" tab). Go to about:preferences#privacy, click "View
Certificates", select the "Your Certificates" tab, select a cert, and
click the Delete button. However, when I reenter Firefox's cert
manager, even after restarting Firefox, all the deleted personal certs
are still listed. The Delete action was not honored.

I even moved the cert9.db file out of my FF profile folder since
supposedly that is where FF keeps its private cert store. Nope, all
certs, including the personal ones I want to delete, are still listed in
FF's cert manager.

I've ran certmgr.msc to look at the global OS cert store managed by
Windows, and where every other web browser finds the certs instead of
some grasping scheme by Mozilla to wrench control over certs with its
private cert store. The unwanted certs were deleted using certmgr.msc,
so the unwanted certs are not in the OS global cert store, but FF still
shows them despite moving out its cert9.db file.

Although I moved out the cert9.db file from my FF profile, I noticed the
file reappeared in my FF profile folder after loading FF. So, FF is
getting the certs from somewhere that it populates into this file. I
read FF also uses the key4.db file to store cert keys, so I moved out
both cert9.db and key4.db (they used to be named cert8.db and key3.db).
After loading FF, nope, it recreated those files, and all the certs
showed up in FF's cert manager. I did get signed out of Firefox Sync
(oops, they've renamed it to Mozilla Sync), and had to login again, but
FF's private cert store was still populated. If FF is copying the
global OS cert store into its private cert store, the unwanted certs are
not in the global OS cert store, so just where is FF getting those?

I really don't want to get rid of all the other certs, just those listed
under "Your Certificates". However, Mozilla decided not to let users
maintain their own cert store (the private one inside FF versus the
global one via certmgr.msc that you can manage). The Delete button is
not honored.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Deleting certificates in Firefox