"Virtual" means never knowing where your next byte is coming from.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: Page does not render following latest FF update

SubjectAuthor
* Page does not render following latest FF updateoccam
+* Re: Page does not render following latest FF updateoccam
|`* Re: Page does not render following latest FF updateJeff Layman
| `* Re: Page does not render following latest FF updateNews
|  `- Re: Page does not render following latest FF updateoccam
+- Re: Page does not render following latest FF updateAndy Burns
+- Re: Page does not render following latest FF updateAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: Page does not render following latest FF updateVanguardLH
|`* Re: Page does not render following latest FF updateoccam
| +- Re: Page does not render following latest FF updateAndy Burns
| `- Re: Page does not render following latest FF updateVanguardLH
`- Re: Page does not render following latest FF updateThe Real Bev

1
Page does not render following latest FF update

<l2jp5nFld9kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2933&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2933

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Page does not render following latest FF update
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 11:36:39 +0100
 by: occam - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 10:36 UTC

After the latest FF update (v 120.0.1) the following page is not showing
any data. (There is nothing wrong with the feed, both LibreWolf and
Brave browsers have no problem with the page.)

<https://www.tradingview.com/markets/currencies/cross-rates-europe-and-americas-prices/>

Can someone confirm the error (or not)?

Thanks

P.S. FF running on Win 10 x64 Home

Re: Page does not render following latest FF update

<l2jpclFld9kU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2934&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2934

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 11:40:21 +0100
 by: occam - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 10:40 UTC

On 08/02/2024 11:36, occam wrote:
> After the latest FF update (v 122.0.1) the following page is not showing
> any data. (There is nothing wrong with the feed, both LibreWolf and
> Brave browsers have no problem with the page.)
>
> <https://www.tradingview.com/markets/currencies/cross-rates-europe-and-americas-prices/>
>
> Can someone confirm the error (or not)?
>
> Thanks
>
> P.S. FF running on Win 10 x64 Home

Corrected the FF version typo.

Re: Page does not render following latest FF update

<uq2dfo$1ugqc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2935&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2935

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 11:21:28 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 11:21 UTC

On 08/02/2024 10:40, occam wrote:
> On 08/02/2024 11:36, occam wrote:
>> After the latest FF update (v 122.0.1) the following page is not showing
>> any data. (There is nothing wrong with the feed, both LibreWolf and
>> Brave browsers have no problem with the page.)
>>
>> <https://www.tradingview.com/markets/currencies/cross-rates-europe-and-americas-prices/>
>>
>> Can someone confirm the error (or not)?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> P.S. FF running on Win 10 x64 Home
>
> Corrected the FF version typo.

Seems to be ok here (Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 ). Looks almost
identical with Pale Moon 33.0.0, although with that I don't get the
"Sign in with Google" popup.

--

Jeff

Re: Page does not render following latest FF update

<5b2f757101news@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2936&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2936

From: news@triffid.co.uk (News)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 12:01:37 +0000 (GMT)
 by: News - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 12:01 UTC

In article <uq2dfo$1ugqc$1@dont-email.me>,
Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 08/02/2024 10:40, occam wrote:
> > On 08/02/2024 11:36, occam wrote:
> >> After the latest FF update (v 122.0.1) the following page is not
> >> showing any data. (There is nothing wrong with the feed, both
> >> LibreWolf and Brave browsers have no problem with the page.)
> >>
> >> <https://www.tradingview.com/markets/currencies/cross-rates-europe-and-americas-prices/>
> >>
> >> Can someone confirm the error (or not)?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> P.S. FF running on Win 10 x64 Home
> >
> > Corrected the FF version typo.

> Seems to be ok here (Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 ). Looks almost
> identical with Pale Moon 33.0.0, although with that I don't get the
> "Sign in with Google" popup.

Working okay here on Firefox 122.0.1 Windows 10 Pro 64 bit fully updated.

D.

Re: Page does not render following latest FF update

<l2k22uFlucmU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2937&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2937

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:08:46 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:08 UTC

occam wrote:

> After the latest FF update (v 120.0.1) the following page is not showing
> any data. (There is nothing wrong with the feed, both LibreWolf and
> Brave browsers have no problem with the page.)
>
> <https://www.tradingview.com/markets/currencies/cross-rates-europe-and-americas-prices/>
>
> Can someone confirm the error (or not)?
>
> Thanks
>
> P.S. FF running on Win 10 x64 Home

same versions here, works ok, try FF in safe mode, or test with a clean
profile

Re: Page does not render following latest FF update

<l2kal5Fo9p7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2938&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2938

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 16:35:01 +0100
 by: occam - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:35 UTC

On 08/02/2024 13:01, News wrote:
> In article <uq2dfo$1ugqc$1@dont-email.me>,
> Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Corrected the FF version typo.
>
>> Seems to be ok here (Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 ). Looks almost
>> identical with Pale Moon 33.0.0, although with that I don't get the
>> "Sign in with Google" popup.
>
> Working okay here on Firefox 122.0.1 Windows 10 Pro 64 bit fully updated.

Thanks for that.
It's odd - when I go 'private browsing' the page shows up in its full glory.

OK, It needed a flushing of the chache. It's the second time this
problem is happening with this particular web page. Is there anything I
can do to stop it from recurring. For example, would ticking the 'delete
the cookies on exiting Firefox' help? (under Web site Privacy
Preferences)

Re: Page does not render following latest FF update

<uq33l3$22dr1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2940&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2940

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 17:39:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 17:39 UTC

occam <occam@nowhere.nix> wrote:

>After the latest FF update (v 120.0.1) the following page is not showing
>any data. (There is nothing wrong with the feed, both LibreWolf and
>Brave browsers have no problem with the page.)

><https://www.tradingview.com/markets/currencies/cross-rates-europe-and-americas-prices/>

>Can someone confirm the error (or not)?

The issue isn't rendering but that the page needs to be first created
on the fly, then rendered.

Dump your cache and get a new page served. CTRL+SHIFT-R

Sometimes, it is also a rendering issue, so take a second step to
refresh the page. CTRL-R

These steps may keep you from shutting down the browser.

Re: Page does not render following latest FF update

<1qi5a4jgt086f$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2941&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2941

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 12:12:54 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:12 UTC

occam <occam@nowhere.nix> wrote:

> After the latest FF update (v 120.0.1) the following page is not showing
> any data. (There is nothing wrong with the feed, both LibreWolf and
> Brave browsers have no problem with the page.)
>
> <https://www.tradingview.com/markets/currencies/cross-rates-europe-and-americas-prices/>
>
> Can someone confirm the error (or not)?
>
> Thanks
>
> P.S. FF running on Win 10 x64 Home

My setup:
- Firefox x64 122.0.1
- uBlock Origin (blocks 57 resources, 10%, of this web page)
- Windows 10 x64 22H2

Cells that are slightly greyed out with no value are those where the row
and column intersection is for the same country. No exchange rate
applies for currency within its own country. I have no idea why they
decided to make their table look like Christmas tree lights with all the
flashing of pink and green colors. The flashing is to show which cells
have changed value, but all the flashing is highly distracting, and
inane. For cells which are showing exchange rates between countries,
there are values populating those cells.

You use different web browsers, and the page looks okay. After the FF
update, did you:

- Stop (unload) Firefox, and reload it anew?
- Have you purged all locally cached data from FF?
- Did you disable any add-ons you installed into FF?
- Have you yet reset (refreshed) FF to create a new profile devoid of
any add-ons and any config tweaks (whether in config screens or in
about:config)?

Re: Page does not render following latest FF update

<l2m1f3F2mrlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2944&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2944

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 08:10:27 +0100
 by: occam - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 07:10 UTC

On 08/02/2024 19:12, VanguardLH wrote:
> occam <occam@nowhere.nix> wrote:
>
>> After the latest FF update (v 120.0.1) the following page is not showing
>> any data. (There is nothing wrong with the feed, both LibreWolf and
>> Brave browsers have no problem with the page.)
>>
>> <https://www.tradingview.com/markets/currencies/cross-rates-europe-and-americas-prices/>
>>
>> Can someone confirm the error (or not)?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> P.S. FF running on Win 10 x64 Home

<snip>

Thank you [Adam, Vanguard]. Your suggestion to flush the cache was
something I tried - and it worked.

> I have no idea why they
> decided to make their table look like Christmas tree lights with all the
> flashing of pink and green colors.

Pink colour means the (instantaneous) exchange rate has gone down, green
means it has gone up.

> The flashing is to show which cells
> have changed value, but all the flashing is highly distracting, and
> inane.

I agree the blinking screen is distracting. However it serves the
purpose of reminding the user that the rates are being updated near-real
time - something which is very important to people who are glued to
their screen all day long, trying to make a living out of currency
shifts. [I check the page twice a day. It is important for me to know
that the data is 'fresh', not something written on paper in say, the
Financial Times.]

<snip>

> You use different web browsers, and the page looks okay. After the FF
> update, did you:
>
> - Stop (unload) Firefox, and reload it anew?

Didn't work. (This is akin to the engineer's advice of switching the
computer off and on, :-)

> - Have you purged all locally cached data from FF?

This worked. (I stumbled on it a couple of hours before your post.)

> - Did you disable any add-ons you installed into FF?

Yes. It didn't work.

> - Have you yet reset (refreshed) FF to create a new profile devoid of
> any add-ons and any config tweaks (whether in config screens or in
> about:config)?

When anyone suggests 'create new fresh profile', it is a red-flag for
me. It is like 're-install your Windows OS afresh'. A no-no.

I'm grateful.

Re: Page does not render following latest FF update

<l2mabgF35ojU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2945&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2945

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 09:42:07 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 09:42 UTC

occam wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> - Have you yet reset (refreshed) FF to create a new profile devoid of
>> any add-ons and any config tweaks (whether in config screens or in
>> about:config)?
>
> When anyone suggests 'create new fresh profile', it is a red-flag for
> me. It is like 're-install your Windows OS afresh'. A no-no.

Nobody was suggesting that "create a new profile" is the way to fix a
problem, however it's a good initial stab at finding whether a recent
update has broken how firefox renders a website, or not. If not, then
the reason can be homed-in ...

> I'm grateful.

Re: Page does not render following latest FF update

<12b9mcha3200y$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2946&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2946

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 11:49:10 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 17:49 UTC

occam <occam@nowhere.nix> wrote:

> On 08/02/2024 19:12, VanguardLH wrote:
>> occam <occam@nowhere.nix> wrote:
>>
>>> After the latest FF update (v 120.0.1) the following page is not showing
>>> any data. (There is nothing wrong with the feed, both LibreWolf and
>>> Brave browsers have no problem with the page.)
>>>
>>> <https://www.tradingview.com/markets/currencies/cross-rates-europe-and-americas-prices/>
>>>
>>> Can someone confirm the error (or not)?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> P.S. FF running on Win 10 x64 Home
>>
> <snip>
>
> Thank you [Adam, Vanguard]. Your suggestion to flush the cache was
> something I tried - and it worked.
>
>> I have no idea why they
>> decided to make their table look like Christmas tree lights with all the
>> flashing of pink and green colors.
>
> Pink colour means the (instantaneous) exchange rate has gone down, green
> means it has gone up.
>
>> The flashing is to show which cells
>> have changed value, but all the flashing is highly distracting, and
>> inane.
>
> I agree the blinking screen is distracting. However it serves the
> purpose of reminding the user that the rates are being updated near-real
> time - something which is very important to people who are glued to
> their screen all day long, trying to make a living out of currency
> shifts. [I check the page twice a day. It is important for me to know
> that the data is 'fresh', not something written on paper in say, the
> Financial Times.]
>
> <snip>
>

>> You use different web browsers, and the page looks okay. After the FF
>> update, did you:
>>
>> - Stop (unload) Firefox, and reload it anew?
>
> Didn't work. (This is akin to the engineer's advice of switching the
> computer off and on, :-)

No, it isn't. FF might've updated, or some change is pending that
requires FF to let go of something, like a file handle. I don't know if
FF got updated, and I'm not sure you did, either. You really consider
exiting and loading Firefox such an onerous task as shutting down the
computer, rebooting, waiting for the OS to load, and then reloading FF?
One is simple. The other is extremism.

>> - Have you purged all locally cached data from FF?
>
> This worked. (I stumbled on it a couple of hours before your post.)
>
>> - Did you disable any add-ons you installed into FF?
>
> Yes. It didn't work.
>
>> - Have you yet reset (refreshed) FF to create a new profile devoid of
>> any add-ons and any config tweaks (whether in config screens or in
>> about:config)?
>
> When anyone suggests 'create new fresh profile', it is a red-flag for
> me. It is like 're-install your Windows OS afresh'. A no-no.

Starting with a new profile eliminates interference from add-ons the
user installed (and may not know to fully use or configure) and also
from any config tweaks the user made which can also alter behavior.
Profiles are very easy to manage. You don't have to create one just for
testing when diagnosing a problem. You can create profiles for multiple
purposes or intent in using FF. It's easy to switch between profiles.
If a new default profile works to resolve the problem, you still have
your old profile to investigate why it has problems. With a reinstall
of an OS, you don't have the old one to diagnose anymore.

You've never created a new FF profile before, have you? Unlike a OS
reinstall, you don't lose the old FF profile (until /you/ choose to
delete it).

Re: Page does not render following latest FF update

<uq5vai$2p4iq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2947&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2947

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 11:44:17 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:44 UTC

On 2/8/24 2:36 AM, occam wrote:
> After the latest FF update (v 120.0.1) the following page is not showing
> any data. (There is nothing wrong with the feed, both LibreWolf and
> Brave browsers have no problem with the page.)
>
> <https://www.tradingview.com/markets/currencies/cross-rates-europe-and-americas-prices/>
>
> Can someone confirm the error (or not)?
>
> Thanks
>
> P.S. FF running on Win 10 x64 Home

Works with FF 124.0a1 (nightly), although it insisted on allowing google
to search for it first. I don't like that. It's the first time I've
seen that happen.

--
Cheers, Bev
HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: Page does not render following latest FF update