One person's error is another person's data.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: thetimes.co.uk article comments don't appear

SubjectAuthor
* thetimes.co.uk article comments don't appearWilf
+* thetimes.co.uk article comments don't appearNewyana2
|`- thetimes.co.uk article comments don't appearWilf
`* thetimes.co.uk article comments don't appearVanguardLH
 `- thetimes.co.uk article comments don't appearWilf

1
thetimes.co.uk article comments don't appear

<u4kol9$2ulnh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=12&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#12

From: wilf@postingx.uk (Wilf)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: thetimes.co.uk article comments don't appear
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 11:24:41 +0100
 by: Wilf - Wed, 24 May 2023 10:24 UTC

Very often when using thetimes.co.uk site, which I subscribe to, the
comments section at the end of an article just doesn't appear.
Resetting the cache, etc., doesn't seem to help. This does not always
happen, so I'm rather perplexed. The same problem never seems to
happen when using other browsers such as Chrome, Brave, Edge.
--
Wilf

Re: thetimes.co.uk article comments don't appear

<u4ktop$p69v$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=13&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#13

From: Newyana2@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: thetimes.co.uk article comments don't appear
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 07:52:03 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Wed, 24 May 2023 11:52 UTC

"Wilf" <wilf@postingx.uk> wrote

| Very often when using thetimes.co.uk site, which I subscribe to, the
| comments section at the end of an article just doesn't appear.

I've found that comments are usually a separate function
these days, loaded dynamically. I run with NoScript and rarely
enable script. As a result I no longer see comments on most
sites. They require script and probably cookies. If you disable
any of that then it might account for the problem.

Re: thetimes.co.uk article comments don't appear

<2cjqg4kl8uo8.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=18&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#18

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 17:24:53 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 24 May 2023 22:24 UTC

Wilf <wilf@postingx.uk> wrote:

> Very often when using thetimes.co.uk site, which I subscribe to, the
> comments section at the end of an article just doesn't appear.
> Resetting the cache, etc., doesn't seem to help. This does not
> always happen, so I'm rather perplexed. The same problem never
> seems to happen when using other browsers such as Chrome, Brave,
> Edge.

You have your web browsers configured differently. Some have adblocker
add-ons although they may be configured differently, like using a
different set of blacklists, settings, and user rules, and some may not
have any adblocker add-on (e.g., Chrome Mobile which does not permit
extensions). In those web browsers where you installed an adblocker
add-on, did you try disabling that add-on, and retest?

Also remember that Firefox has its own built-in adblocker (Mozilla uses
the Disconnect.me blacklist). The only way I know of bypassing that
blacklist is to go into security settings, and change the ETP (Enhanced
Tracking Protection) settings to Custom, and deselect all options
(although deselecting "Tracking content" may be sufficient). Brave,
another web browser you mention, has its own built-in adblocker, but no
idea how you configured it, or which blacklists it uses.

I use Firefox with its in-built adblocker along with uBlock Origin
(uBO), an adblocker add-on. I do NOT have it subscribe to every
blacklist available, especially not to those that are based on a hosts
file which tend to be overly aggressive and not as well maintained as
the other blacklists. I do have many selected resulting in a total of
219K network filters and 214K cosmetic filters. I have 2 of my own
filters. I also have several settings enabled in uBO that may not be
available in your choice of adblocker.

uBO adds the ability to disable Javascript either globally (on by
default at all sites) or on a per-site basis, which can be a temporary
or permanent disable. You might have an adblocker that blocks
Javascript, or are using NoScript, or and add-on that programmatically
disables Javascript in Firefox (since Mozilla took away both the config
UI setting and later the about:config setting, so only add-ons can
toggle the Javascript function).

Temporary disable all add-ons in Firefox, and retest. If the problem
persists, change the ETP settings in Firefox to Custom to deselect
blocking tracking content, or deselect all options to completely disable
ETP. If the problem goes away, well, you know it's one of the add-ons
or Firefox's ETP that is interferring with the web site (and perhaps
deliberately so, like for ad/track blocking).

Since you did not provide a URL to a specific example, like an article
that has comments that you cannot see, I cannot visit that web site's
article page to see if Firefox (std ETP) + uBO works okay for me.
However, after picking an article (Tina Turner dies), the articles are
incomplete. That site requires membership (£5 per year) to continue
reading the rest of the article. The chance you find another user here
of Firefox that happens to pay to subscribe to that site is dismal, so
others here cannot reproduce your problem. For an example, pick a site
where comments are missing that does NOT require subscribing to the site
whether it is free or paid.

Re: thetimes.co.uk article comments don't appear

<u4njer$3fn18$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=21&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#21

From: wilf@postingx.uk (Wilf)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 13:14:19 +0100
 by: Wilf - Thu, 25 May 2023 12:14 UTC

On 24/05/2023 at 23:24, VanguardLH wrote:
> [...]
> ETP. If the problem goes away, well, you know it's one of the add-ons
> or Firefox's ETP that is interferring with the web site (and perhaps
> deliberately so, like for ad/track blocking).
>
> Since you did not provide a URL to a specific example, like an article
> that has comments that you cannot see, I cannot visit that web site's
> article page to see if Firefox (std ETP) + uBO works okay for me.
> However, after picking an article (Tina Turner dies), the articles are
> incomplete. That site requires membership (£5 per year) to continue
> reading the rest of the article. The chance you find another user here
> of Firefox that happens to pay to subscribe to that site is dismal, so
> others here cannot reproduce your problem. For an example, pick a site
> where comments are missing that does NOT require subscribing to the site

Thank you, that's helpful. Possibly due to uBO but uBO has same setup
on Brave, so it may be Firefox's own blocking. I shall experiment.
--
Wilf

Re: thetimes.co.uk article comments don't appear

<u4njfr$3fn18$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=22&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#22

From: wilf@postingx.uk (Wilf)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 13:14:51 +0100

On 24/05/2023 at 12:52, Newyana2 wrote:
> "Wilf" <wilf@postingx.uk> wrote
>
> | Very often when using thetimes.co.uk site, which I subscribe to, the
> | comments section at the end of an article just doesn't appear.
>
> I've found that comments are usually a separate function
> these days, loaded dynamically. I run with NoScript and rarely
> enable script. As a result I no longer see comments on most
> sites. They require script and probably cookies. If you disable
> any of that then it might account for the problem.

Thank you. I shall experiment on that basis.
--
Wilf

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: thetimes.co.uk article comments don't appear