From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Subject: Re: Can't list Items on Ebay
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: 26 May 2023 11:40:49 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Fri, 26 May 2023 01:40 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

> I've got a whole heap of about:config customisations. So it will
> take hours to go over and check to see which, if any, of those is
> the problem. So I'm hoping that someone else has run into similar
> trouble (either on Ebay, or another website with a Javascript-based
> image uploader) and can suggest something.

Apparantly not.

But today I gave in and searched through the settings myself and it
actually only took half an hour, even though I started at the
bottom of the list and the culprit turned out to be almost at the
top.

The about:config setting preventing the "list it" and "save for
later" buttons from working on Ebay's item listing page after
images have been uploaded is:

beacon.enabled = false

Looking into it, this functionality mainly seems to be a sneeky way
to make it easy for websites to send tracking data to analytics
servers, by contacting them when a link is clicked as well as the
server that actually loads the next page. But Ebay seem to have
used it for regular link handling for some reason.

https://w3c.github.io/beacon/
https://lapcatsoftware.com/articles/Safari-link-tracking4.html

Annoyingly it's exactly the sort of thing that I do want to block,
so I'll keep it set and now I'll have to go into about:config and
disable it manually whenever I list items on Ebay.

Is there an add-on that will automatically change a custom
about:config setting for just one website?

> Firefox version is 102.9.0esr, running on Linux.

Now 102.11.0esr, but I sure do wish that I could ditch it and just
use a sensible HTML-only browser like Dillo or Links for
everything instead of needing to constantly fight this BS.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Can't list Items on Ebay

<641a4578@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=2117&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2117

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Subject: Can't list Items on Ebay
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: 22 Mar 2023 10:02:01 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 00:02 UTC

Something about my profile stops the "List It" and "Save for Later"
buttons from working when listing items on Ebay(.com.au), but only
after I've uploaded photos. Before uploading photos, at least the
"Save for Later" button works fine, but afterwards neither button
does anything at all. This has been happening since at least last
week.

My all-too-familiar debugging routine of disabling all extensions
and tracker protection made no difference. But running in a new
Firefox profile, the "Save for Later" button works correctly ("List
It" probably does as well).

After adding images in the new profile, I can go back to my normal
profile and edit the draft listing, then the "List It" button works
with the images already added. So it seems that the image uploader
is what's messing up the function of the buttons.

I've got a whole heap of about:config customisations. So it will
take hours to go over and check to see which, if any, of those is
the problem. So I'm hoping that someone else has run into similar
trouble (either on Ebay, or another website with a Javascript-based
image uploader) and can suggest something.

Firefox version is 102.9.0esr, running on Linux.

--
__ __

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Can't list Items on Ebay