I *____knew* I had some reason for not logging you off... If I could just remember what it was.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

SubjectAuthor
* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...R.Wieser
+* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two differentAndy Burns
|`* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...R.Wieser
| `* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two differentAndy Burns
|  `- dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...R.Wieser
+* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...Dave Roya
|`* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...R.Wieser
| +- dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...Dave Roya
| `- dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...Stan Brown
+* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...Ralph Fox
|`* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...R.Wieser
| `* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...Ralph Fox
|  `* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...R.Wieser
|   +* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ... feedbaR.Wieser
|   |`- dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ... feedbaR.Wieser
|   `* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...Ralph Fox
|    `- dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...R.Wieser
+* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two differentAndy Burns
|`* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...R.Wieser
| `* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two differentAndy Burns
|  `- dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...R.Wieser
+* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two differentRetirednoguilt
|`* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...R.Wieser
| `* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two differentRetirednoguilt
|  `- dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...R.Wieser
+* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...Stan Brown
|`- dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...R.Wieser
`* dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...Newyana2
 `- dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...R.Wieser

Pages:12
dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukepph$29s7g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1781&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1781

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 09:27:24 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 08:27 UTC

Hello all,

I'm in the habit of saving webpages locally, and noticed that dragging, from
the URL bar in FF of an URL to the desktop (or a folder) results into
different icons, depending on the type of URL.

When its an HTTP(s):// URL I get the FF icon.

When its a file:// url I get the IE icon.

I'm not quite interrested in why that that happens (although I would welcome
an explanation :-) ), but do like to have the same, FF, icon in both cases.

I've tried a registry edit of the '.URL' linked 'InternetShortcut' entries
default icon (to the FF one), but I didn't see a change.

I also searched the registry for the "%SystemRoot%\system32\url.dll,0"
phrase, but other than finding 'gopher' and the like there seems to be
nothing relate to a created .URL shortcut.

So, my question is : does anyone have an idea to what/where I should make a
change ?

And by the way, this is on XP. Yes, I know, its ancient.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<kt0crmFmonaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1785&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1785

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different
icons ...
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 09:48:39 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 09:48 UTC

R.Wieser wrote:

> I'm in the habit of saving webpages locally, and noticed that dragging, from
> the URL bar in FF of an URL to the desktop (or a folder) results into
> different icons, depending on the type of URL.

When I select the text of a URL in the address bar, then drag it to the
desktop, the shortcut created has the same icon as the favicon of the
website. If the site has no favicon I get the default firefox icon
whether the site is http:// or https://

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukevf0$2al83$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1786&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1786

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:03:42 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 10:03 UTC

Andy,

> When I select the text of a URL in the address bar, then drag it to the
> desktop, the shortcut created has the same icon as the favicon of the
> website.

As mentioned, I either get the generic FF or IE icon - likely because my
version of FF is as old as my OS.

By the way: I start the drag-and-drop with the "i"-in-a-circle* thats
visible before the URL text itself. Less work that way. :-)

* with the hover-text "show site information"

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukevhv$2alkp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1787&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1787

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 10:05:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 10:05 UTC

On 2 Dec 2023 09:27:24 +0100 R.Wieser wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I'm in the habit of saving webpages locally, and noticed that dragging, from
>the URL bar in FF of an URL to the desktop (or a folder) results into
>different icons, depending on the type of URL.
>
>When its an HTTP(s):// URL I get the FF icon.
>
>When its a file:// url I get the IE icon.

Given Andy's observation, by 'the FF icon' do you mean the website's
favicon - as shown in bookmarks and varies by website - or do you mean
Firefox's own icon - the orange one?
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<7otlmi1f94pf594odbs7elpq1upd5df1el@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1788&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1788

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 23:12:09 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 10:12 UTC

On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 09:27:24 +0100, R.Wieser wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm in the habit of saving webpages locally, and noticed that dragging, from
> the URL bar in FF of an URL to the desktop (or a folder) results into
> different icons, depending on the type of URL.
>
> When its an HTTP(s):// URL I get the FF icon.
>
> When its a file:// url I get the IE icon.
>
> I'm not quite interrested in why that that happens (although I would welcome
> an explanation :-) ), but do like to have the same, FF, icon in both cases.
>
> I've tried a registry edit of the '.URL' linked 'InternetShortcut' entries
> default icon (to the FF one), but I didn't see a change.
>
> I also searched the registry for the "%SystemRoot%\system32\url.dll,0"
> phrase, but other than finding 'gopher' and the like there seems to be
> nothing relate to a created .URL shortcut.
>
> So, my question is : does anyone have an idea to what/where I should make a
> change ?
>
> And by the way, this is on XP. Yes, I know, its ancient.
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

I presume your XP has registry settings for the http: and https:
protocols

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http]
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https]
"URL Protocol"=""

and those registry settings include a default icon (for those cases when
the .URL Internet Shortcut file does not have its own individual icon).

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe,1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe,1"

Not every protocol should have the same icon, because not every
protocol is opened by the same application. You will observe that
* There are other URL protocols in the registry which Firefox
does not open, such as callto:, mms:, news:, nntp:, and rlogin: ;
* These protocols do not have the Firefox icon.

AIUI If the webpage has a page icon, Firefox will normally create the
Internet Shortcut with its own individual icon set to the page icon.
How long the Internet Shortcut continues to show that page icon depends
on how long the cached icon file remains in Firefox's shortcutCache.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

If you trust before you try, you may repent before you die.

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<kt0j1pFphodU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1794&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1794

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
icons ...
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:34:17 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:34 UTC

R.Wieser wrote:

> By the way: I start the drag-and-drop with the "i"-in-a-circle* thats
> visible before the URL text itself. Less work that way. 🙂

I thought it worth mentioning that I had to select the text before
dragging, because I don't see the (i) as a suitable handle to drag from,
though I can drag the padlock icon left of the address bar

Are we still supposed to call it the "awesome bar"?

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukf7eo$2brbv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1796&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1796

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:43:48 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:43 UTC

Dave,

> Given Andy's observation, by 'the FF icon' do you mean the website's
> favicon - as shown in bookmarks and varies by website - or do you
> mean Firefox's own icon - the orange one?

The last one.

Personally I have /never/ seen an URL shortcut taking the icon of a website.
Ancient OS, ancient FF browser and all that.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukf7ep$2brbv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1797&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1797

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:13:56 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:13 UTC

Ralph,

> I presume your XP has registry settings for the http: and https:
> protocols
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http]
> "URL Protocol"=""
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https]
> "URL Protocol"=""

Yes, but no "URL Protocol" keys in there (just the "DefaultIcon" and "shell"
folders).

> and those registry settings include a default icon (for those cases when
> the .URL Internet Shortcut file does not have its own individual icon).
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\DefaultIcon]
> @="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe,1"
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\DefaultIcon]
> @="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe,1"

Yep, thats what I have.

> Not every protocol should have the same icon, because not every
> protocol is opened by the same application. You will observe that
> * There are other URL protocols in the registry which Firefox
> does not open, such as callto:, mms:, news:, nntp:, and rlogin: ;
> * These protocols do not have the Firefox icon.

I know. Its why I mentioned the Gopher registry entry for that. Its, and
some other web-oriented protocols, 'DefaultIcon' entries point to the
generic IE icon (%SystemRoot%\system32\url.dll,0).

> AIUI If the webpage has a page icon, Firefox will normally create the
> Internet Shortcut with its own individual icon set to the page icon.

Nope. At least, not here. Just the generic FF icon.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukf7eq$2brbv$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1798&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1798

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:20:33 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:20 UTC

Andy,

> though I can drag the padlock icon left of the address bar

Here it doesn't make a difference. In both cases the image I'm dragging
around shows the "i"-in-a-circle.

> Are we still supposed to call it the "awesome bar"?

In my ancient browser it was just called "the addres bar". We didn't even
/know/ the word "awesome". :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukf83s$2buem$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1799&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1799

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:31:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:31 UTC

On 2 Dec 2023 12:43:48 +0100 R.Wieser wrote:
>Dave,
>
>> Given Andy's observation, by 'the FF icon' do you mean the website's
>> favicon - as shown in bookmarks and varies by website - or do you
>> mean Firefox's own icon - the orange one?
>
>The last one.

So different to Andy who was seeing the favicon (icon of a website as you
call it).

>Personally I have /never/ seen an URL shortcut taking the icon of a website.
>Ancient OS, ancient FF browser and all that.

Not something I'd do on a PC, but it does on Firefox for Android. And
Safari (and threfore Firefox) on iOS.

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<kt0n7pFphodU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1800&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1800

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
icons ...
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:45:45 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:45 UTC

R.Wieser wrote:

> by the way, this is on XP. Yes, I know, its ancient.

Ah didn't see thst bit, that probably explains why you see the (i)
symbol, must be an old firefox to to still install/run on XP?

I think you just have to suck-up the differences you're getting, maybe
check the file association for .htm and .html files to make sure that's
*not* set to Internet Explorer?

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukfag5$2c9os$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1802&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1802

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 14:12:27 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:12 UTC

Andy,

> must be an old firefox to to still install/run on XP?

Yep, v52. The last one which still wanted to work under XP.

> I think you just have to suck-up the differences you're getting,

Not until /after/ I've tried to find the answer it thankyouverymuch.

> maybe check the file association for .htm and .html files to make sure
> that's *not* set to Internet Explorer?

I had hoped that "I've tried a registry edit" and "I also searched the
registry" would have made clear that I already did that kind of stuff.

But yes, both the .HTM and .HTML registry entries refer to the same
FirefoxHTML registry entry - in which the "DefaultIcon" (ofcourse) refers to
the FF executable.

Besides, *both* of the drag-and-dropped URLs from within FF where from files
with the .HTM extension - one on the web, and one stored locally.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<kt0p5iFphoeU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1803&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1803

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
icons ...
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:18:42 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:18 UTC

R.Wieser wrote:

> Besides,both of the drag-and-dropped URLs from within FF where from files
> with the .HTM extension - one on the web, and one stored locally.

If you look at the properties of the shortcuts created, can you alter
the icon to a firefox one?

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukfd5o$2cmo9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1804&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1804

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 14:58:09 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:58 UTC

Andy,

>> Besides,both of the drag-and-dropped URLs from within FF where from
>> files with the .HTM extension - one on the web, and one stored locally.
>
> If you look at the properties of the shortcuts created, can you alter the
> icon to a firefox one?

Yes, I can. Both are bog-standard Windows OS dot-URL shortcuts. Just with
different icons.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukfhdi$2d99n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1806&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1806

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
icons ...
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 10:10:40 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:10 UTC

On 12/2/2023 3:27 AM, R.Wieser wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm in the habit of saving webpages locally, and noticed that dragging, from
> the URL bar in FF of an URL to the desktop (or a folder) results into
> different icons, depending on the type of URL.
>
> When its an HTTP(s):// URL I get the FF icon.
>
> When its a file:// url I get the IE icon.
>
> I'm not quite interrested in why that that happens (although I would welcome
> an explanation :-) ), but do like to have the same, FF, icon in both cases.
>
> I've tried a registry edit of the '.URL' linked 'InternetShortcut' entries
> default icon (to the FF one), but I didn't see a change.
>
> I also searched the registry for the "%SystemRoot%\system32\url.dll,0"
> phrase, but other than finding 'gopher' and the like there seems to be
> nothing relate to a created .URL shortcut.
>
> So, my question is : does anyone have an idea to what/where I should make a
> change ?
>
> And by the way, this is on XP. Yes, I know, its ancient.
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

If you want to have the firefox icon represent all URLs, check the
settings section of Firefox and make sure you've set it to be your
default browser. After that, confirm it by going to the default
applications page in your control panel and if need be, change any
default that's IE to firefox.

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukfnu4$2ed5p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1807&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1807

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 18:01:49 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:01 UTC

Retirednoguilt,

> If you want to have the firefox icon represent all URLs, check the
> settings section of Firefox and make sure you've set it to be your
> default browser.

It is, and has been for the past number of years.

> After that, confirm it by going to the default applications page in
>your control panel and if need be, change any default that's IE to
> firefox.

Thats win10/11 stuff, not XP.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukfqn6$2eppj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1815&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1815

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
icons ...
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:49:24 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:49 UTC

On 12/2/2023 12:01 PM, R.Wieser wrote:
> Retirednoguilt,
>
>> If you want to have the firefox icon represent all URLs, check the
>> settings section of Firefox and make sure you've set it to be your
>> default browser.
>
> It is, and has been for the past number of years.
>
>> After that, confirm it by going to the default applications page in
>> your control panel and if need be, change any default that's IE to
>> firefox.
>
> Thats win10/11 stuff, not XP.
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

Sorry; too many years since I used XP. However, if you refer to this URL:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/change-file-association-in-windows-xp/

you may find easier ways to check and change defaults than the risky
registry editing methods.

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<j7vmmi5k3q0vccvth8bcildm5ur4gkk1cm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1817&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1817

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 07:52:38 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 18:52 UTC

On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:13:56 +0100, R.Wieser wrote:
> Ralph,
>
>> Not every protocol should have the same icon, because not every
>> protocol is opened by the same application. You will observe that
>> * There are other URL protocols in the registry which Firefox
>> does not open, such as callto:, mms:, news:, nntp:, and rlogin: ;
>> * These protocols do not have the Firefox icon.
>
> I know. Its why I mentioned the Gopher registry entry for that. Its, and
> some other web-oriented protocols, 'DefaultIcon' entries point to the
> generic IE icon (%SystemRoot%\system32\url.dll,0).

You asked for file protocol shortcuts to have the same icon as http(s)
protocol shortcuts.

Did you try updating the registry to set a 'DefaultIcon' for the file
protocol to be the same as the 'DefaultIcon' for the http and https
protocols? You have _not_ mentioned trying this.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Nothing venture nothing have.

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukg3ok$2g7mv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1826&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1826

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 20:53:48 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 19:53 UTC

Retirednoguilt,

> Sorry; too many years since I used XP.

:-) I can understand that.

> However, if you refer to this URL:
>
> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/change-file-association-in-windows-xp/
>
> you may find easier ways to check and change defaults than the
> risky registry editing methods.

I'm afraid that you're focusing on a problem I don't have. Registry
editing - either by using regedit, thru (VB)scripting or from within a
program - is something I've been doing for ages.

Currenly my problem is those two different URL shortcut icons where I expect
to see just one - the icon of my default browser, FF.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukg3ok$2g7mv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1827&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1827

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 21:23:31 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 20:23 UTC

Ralph,

> You asked for file protocol shortcuts to have the same icon as
> http(s) protocol shortcuts.

I did ? I was not aware of that. AFAIK I was asking about the URL
shortcuts behaviour...

> Did you try updating the registry to set a 'DefaultIcon' for the file
> protocol to be the same as the 'DefaultIcon' for the http and https
> protocols? You have _not_ mentioned trying this.

No, I didn't. I was concentrating on the ".URL" and 'InternetShortcut"
registry entries, as those seemed to be the most relevant (and I have
experienced too many people going off at tangents that I do not easily let
myself be pushed off-track anymore).

But, as you are indicating you think its important, I just did. And
whatdoyouknow, adding(!) a "DefaultIcon" to the "file" registry entry does
change the drag-and-dropped "file://" url shortcuts displayed icon.

IOW, you where right with your "try this" suggestion. My thanks.

Just one question: do you have /any/ idea where the default "use the IE
icon" setting for that URL shortcut comes from ? To be honest, I was
assuming that I only needed to change that setting somewhere in the
registry.

I already did try to change all "url.dll,1" entries in the registry with
"url.dll,2", but didn't see any change when I created a new URL shortcut -
so it seems it isn't coming from the registry.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<MPG.3fd5cbf38f886a3e990235@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1839&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1839

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 23:19:56 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 07:19 UTC

On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 09:27:24 +0100, R.Wieser wrote:
> I'm in the habit of saving webpages locally, and noticed that dragging, from
> the URL bar in FF of an URL to the desktop (or a folder) results into
> different icons, depending on the type of URL.
>
> When its an HTTP(s):// URL I get the FF icon.
>
> When its a file:// url I get the IE icon.

I don't know if this helps you but when I drag a
file://-type URL to my desktop, I get the Chrome icon.
(Chrome is my default browser.)

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA
https://BrownMath.com/

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<MPG.3fd5cc71c6994919990236@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1840&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1840

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 23:21:57 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 07:21 UTC

On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:43:48 +0100, R.Wieser wrote:
> Personally I have /never/ seen an URL shortcut taking the icon of a website.
> Ancient OS, ancient FF browser and all that.

Would have been nice if you mentioned that in your
initial query, with specific version numbers.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA
https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ...

<ukhgp2$2q2m2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1842&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1842

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 09:59:56 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 08:59 UTC

Stan,

> I don't know if this helps you but when I drag a
> file://-type URL to my desktop, I get the Chrome icon.
> (Chrome is my default browser.)

It means that /something/ between your and my machines is different. Now we
only have to find out what its is ... :-)

>> Ancient OS, ancient FF browser and all that.
>
> Would have been nice if you mentioned that in
> your initial query,

I specifically mentioned that I am on XP, and assumed that the reader would
know enough about FF to be able to realize that my FF would need to be (at
least as) as old.

> with specific version numbers.

And how would that have helped you ?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ... feedback

<ukhgp2$2q2m2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1843&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1843

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ... feedback
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 10:11:50 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 09:11 UTC

> But, as you are indicating you think its important, I just did. And
> whatdoyouknow, adding(!) a "DefaultIcon" to the "file" registry entry does
> change the drag-and-dropped "file://" url shortcuts displayed icon.
>
> IOW, you where right with your "try this" suggestion. My thanks.

Some time ago I thought of giving the URL shortcuts and the saved webpages
different icons, so that in a mix of them could easier recognise both
(easier than looking for the tell-tale "shortcut" overlay icon I mean).
Somehow I never did ...

After Ralphs solution I again took a look, and changed the DefaultIcon
registry entries for "http", "https" and "file" to another icon.

Color me surprised when I saw that most (but not all!) URL shortcuts showed
the changed icon - no reboot needed.

I would have thought that the registry change would only be used for *new*
shortcuts, not that it would change the icon reference in the shortcuts that
where already there ...

tl;dr:
Even after years of using Windows its stil capable of surprising me.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: dragging an URL from FF to the desktop results in two different icons ... feedback

<ukhkmo$2ql5i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1844&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1844

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:18:56 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 10:18 UTC

> After Ralphs solution I again took a look, and changed the DefaultIcon
> registry entries for "http", "https" and "file" to another icon.
>
> Color me surprised when I saw that most (but not all!) URL shortcuts
> showed the changed icon - no reboot needed.

Meh, I over-engeneered the whole thing and let the URL-shortcuts properties
window (showing the icons path) let me astray - by assuming the icons path
was stored in the shortcut

The simple explanation is that the URL-shortcut by default only contains the
URL itself (verified by opening the shortcut in notepad). A path to an icon
/can/ be added (thru its properties window), but if its not there the
"default" icon (for the protocol) is taken from the registry.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser