Your mode of life will be changed to EBCDIC.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: Auto play of videos

SubjectAuthor
* Auto play of videosknuttle
+* Auto play of videosVanguardLH
|`* Auto play of videosFrank Miller
| `* Auto play of videosVanguardLH
|  `* Auto play of videosknuttle
|   `* Auto play of videosVanguardLH
|    `* Auto play of videosknuttle
|     `- Auto play of videosVanguardLH
`- Auto play of videosNewyana2

1
Auto play of videos

<u5tds8$1k8v6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=148&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#148

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Auto play of videos
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 16:32:08 -0400
 by: knuttle - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 20:32 UTC

Well not exactly Autoplay but a videos that play and then follows the
screen as you scroll down the page.

Many of the news sites I visit are like this. You click on an item on
the main page of the news site, and it brings up the page with a video
and the text under below the video. When you scroll down the page to
read the text, the video becomes a pop up that continues to play and
remains on the screen as you scroll down to read the text. Many time
you can read the text, because the video covers it up.

Re: Auto play of videos

<qm8urkk4wmbz.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=150&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#150

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Auto play of videos
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 16:20:00 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 21:20 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well not exactly Autoplay but a videos that play and then follows the
> screen as you scroll down the page.
>
> Many of the news sites I visit are like this. You click on an item on
> the main page of the news site, and it brings up the page with a video
> and the text under below the video. When you scroll down the page to
> read the text, the video becomes a pop up that continues to play and
> remains on the screen as you scroll down to read the text. Many time
> you can read the text, because the video covers it up.

I have what you describe with Youtube videos, because I installed the
Enhancer for Youtube add-on. It has an option to "Launch a mini player
when scrolling down to read comments". I have it enabled. Comments in
Youtube are on the left side, and the mini player appears on the right
side. It only appears when I scroll the window so the frame for the YT
player goes out of sight.

Well, if an add-on can do that, so can Javascript at a web site. You
didn't give an example URL of a site that does what you describe for
anyone else here to diagnose. Usually the mini player does not occupy
the entire height of the doc window in the web browser, so you can
scroll up or down to see what text got covered by the mini player. You
could disable Javascript to get rid of the mini player, but the site
will likely become severely crippled, so you can't get to the articles,
they are blank, or only partially visible.

Give an example of a web site that injects a mini player that scrolls
with the web page.

Re: Auto play of videos

<64825ACD.3030707@backwurst.de>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=153&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#153

From: miller@posteo.ee (Frank Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 00:48:45 +0200
 by: Frank Miller - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 22:48 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Well not exactly Autoplay but a videos that play and then follows the
>> screen as you scroll down the page.
>>
>> Many of the news sites I visit are like this. You click on an item on
>> the main page of the news site, and it brings up the page with a video
>> and the text under below the video. When you scroll down the page to
>> read the text, the video becomes a pop up that continues to play and
>> remains on the screen as you scroll down to read the text. Many time
>> you can read the text, because the video covers it up.
[..snip..]
> Well, if an add-on can do that, so can Javascript at a web site. You
> didn't give an example URL of a site that does what you describe for
> anyone else here to diagnose.

Here's a random example from a german newspaper site:
https://www.waz.de/politik/ukraine-krieg-russland-dammbruch-cherson-id238631357.html

> Usually the mini player does not occupy
> the entire height of the doc window in the web browser, so you can
> scroll up or down to see what text got covered by the mini player. You
> could disable Javascript to get rid of the mini player,

Yes that works on the website given above.

> but the site will likely become severely crippled, so you can't get to the articles,
> they are blank, or only partially visible.

That's possible, indeed.

Re: Auto play of videos

<14y8k70dyam9z$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=154&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#154

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 18:49:32 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 23:49 UTC

Frank Miller <miller@posteo.ee> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Well not exactly Autoplay but a videos that play and then follows the
>>> screen as you scroll down the page.
>>>
>>> Many of the news sites I visit are like this. You click on an item on
>>> the main page of the news site, and it brings up the page with a video
>>> and the text under below the video. When you scroll down the page to
>>> read the text, the video becomes a pop up that continues to play and
>>> remains on the screen as you scroll down to read the text. Many time
>>> you can read the text, because the video covers it up.
> [..snip..]
>> Well, if an add-on can do that, so can Javascript at a web site. You
>> didn't give an example URL of a site that does what you describe for
>> anyone else here to diagnose.
>
> Here's a random example from a german newspaper site:
> https://www.waz.de/politik/ukraine-krieg-russland-dammbruch-cherson-id238631357.html\

Yep, there's a mini player that shows up when the page is scrolled, but
the mini player is at a banner at the top. Article text only gets
covered when it scrolls up, but that should be what you already read.

I think the OP has a mini player showing on the right-side of the web
doc, and some text gets covered by it. I wouldn't really call it a pop
up window for the mini player as it becomes a non-scrollable element in
the web doc, but it could be scripted for popup behavior (but run afoul
of popup filters in web browsers).

>> Usually the mini player does not occupy the entire height of the doc
>> window in the web browser, so you can scroll up or down to see what
>> text got covered by the mini player. You could disable Javascript
>> to get rid of the mini player,
>
> Yes that works on the website given above.
>
>> but the site will likely become severely crippled, so you can't get to the articles,
>> they are blank, or only partially visible.
>
> That's possible, indeed.

If I disable Javascript and reload the above web site, I get:

Warum sehe ich WAZ.DE nicht?
Sie haben Javascript für Ihren Browser deaktiviert.
Aktivieren Sie Javascript in Ihren Einstellungen, um unsere Artikel
wie gewohnt lesen zu können.

or, in English:

Why can't I see WAZ.DE?
You have disabled javascript for your browser. Enable javascript in
your settings to be able to read our articles as usual.

You get rid of the mini player, but you also get rid of the entire web
page since it is dynamic (scripted), or the site is coded to block its
content if Javascript is disabled in the client.

Many sites figure if you start a video that you want to watch the video
even if you scroll the web doc. If the <video> element continued to
play in a fixed location in the doc, scrolling would hide it while you
read the rest of the article. You'd hear the audio, but the video would
be hidden. With the example German site above, you can pause the video
when you scroll the page to let you resume it when you scroll back up to
continue watching the video.

With the Enhancer for Youtube add-on in my Firefox, it presents a mini
player at the right side of the doc window when the original <video> is
scrolled out of view. That can obliterate some text in the web page.
However, the add-on adds an "X" button in the mini player to remove it.
The <video> element keeps playing, but the mini player is removed. If
the OP gives a URL to those many news sites that shows a mini player,
maybe it has controls to eliminate it, like hovering the mouse pointer
over the mini player to see controls.

Re: Auto play of videos

<u5ts0o$1lkgl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=155&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#155

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 20:33:27 -0400
 by: knuttle - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 00:33 UTC

On 06/08/2023 7:49 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> [...]
> play in a fixed location in the doc, scrolling would hide it while you
> read the rest of the article. You'd hear the audio, but the video would
> be hidden. With the example German site above, you can pause the video
> when you scroll the page to let you resume it when you scroll back up to
> continue watching the video.
>
> With the Enhancer for Youtube add-on in my Firefox, it presents a mini
> player at the right side of the doc window when the original <video> is
> scrolled out of view. That can obliterate some text in the web page.
> However, the add-on adds an "X" button in the mini player to remove it.
> The <video> element keeps playing, but the mini player is removed. If
> the OP gives a URL to those many news sites that shows a mini player,
> maybe it has controls to eliminate it, like hovering the mouse pointer
OP: Here are three website of several that cause the problem. This is a
genearic problem to several other similar websites that I visit.
https://www.wect.com/2023/06/08/family-friend-remembers-father-son-killed-plane-crash/
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-allegedly-paid-5-million-by-burisma-executive
https://www.cbs17.com/video/young-black-bear-seen-in-uptown-greenville-goes-viral/
I have 5 five addons Go to Top, Go to Bottom, Clippings, AdBlocker
Ultimate, and To Google Translate.
I am currently runing FF 114.0 (64-bit), but the problem has existed for
the last several versions.

Re: Auto play of videos

<1xcfgxyhn5fsg$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=158&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#158

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 20:13:39 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 01:13 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> OP: Here are three website of several that cause the problem. This is
> a genearic problem to several other similar websites that I visit.
>
> https://www.wect.com/2023/06/08/family-friend-remembers-father-son-killed-plane-crash/

There is a "Close" button on the mini player. The main <video> element
stops playing. You can click on the main <video> element to restart the
video, and then when you scroll the page the mini player does not show.

With Javascript disabled, the <video> element does not show. It's a
blank space in the web page. No way to play the video, so no mini
player, either.

The mini player is not a hassle. It only occupies a portion of the web
doc on the right side. Any text underneath is there only until you
decide to scroll a bit up or down. Plus, you can click the "X" to
completely remove the mini player.

> https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-allegedly-paid-5-million-by-burisma-executive

I got no mini player when scrolling the web page. Could be my adblocker
(uBlock Origin) blocking something needed for a mini player. There are
a tons of ad and tracking resources used by Foxnews. uBO reports 75
resources were blocked (and the count increments), and only 36 of 59
domains were allowed to connect.

On a later view, there was a mini player when the page was scrolled.
However, like the first site, there is an "X" button to remove the mini
player.

Disabling Javascript only paints the 1st frame of the video. There are
no player controls (no way to start the video). When clicked on,
another page appears, but just a pic of the video is shown. No mini
player, but also no way to play the video.

You can scroll up or down to see the text under the mini player, or you
can click the "X" button to get rid of the mini player (until you scroll
to the top of the page, and then scroll down whereupon the mini player
reappears).

> https://www.cbs17.com/video/young-black-bear-seen-in-uptown-greenville-goes-viral/

Could not get the video to play again probably due to uBO blocking ad
and tracking resources at that site. When I scrolled the web page, yep,
a mini player showed up. There is an "X" button to close the mini
player, but it doesn't obliterate the text since the mini player is
small, and you can scroll the web page up or down to see the text that
is under the mini player. Unlike the wect.com site where you close the
mini player, and it would not appear again when scrolling the web page,
this site's mini player can be close, but when you scroll to the top and
then down the trigger fires again to show the mini player.

The video is absent (and so the mini player) if Javascript is disabled.

The mini player occupies a small part of the web page on the right side.
Scroll up or down to see any text underneath you want to see, or just
press the "X" button to remove the mini player.

I don't see that any of these sites has no means of seeing the text
under the mini player, and all provided a means to completely hide the
mini player. If you don't want the mini player, you have a choice to
remove it.

Re: Auto play of videos

<u5u14k$1pn1h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=160&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#160

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 22:00:51 -0400
 by: knuttle - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 02:00 UTC

On 06/08/2023 9:13 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> [...]
> small, and you can scroll the web page up or down to see the text that
> is under the mini player. Unlike the wect.com site where you close the
> mini player, and it would not appear again when scrolling the web page,
> this site's mini player can be close, but when you scroll to the top and
> then down the trigger fires again to show the mini player.
>
> The video is absent (and so the mini player) if Javascript is disabled.
>
> The mini player occupies a small part of the web page on the right side.
> Scroll up or down to see any text underneath you want to see, or just
> press the "X" button to remove the mini player.
>
> I don't see that any of these sites has no means of seeing the text
> under the mini player, and all provided a means to completely hide the
> mini player. If you don't want the mini player, you have a choice to
The question was to prevent the video from playing automatically and
then if desired start the video. The way it is set up it is
unnecessary hassle.

Re: Auto play of videos

<gsdvrvx2ygdj.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=162&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#162

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 22:43:56 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 03:43 UTC

> [...]

>> mini player, and it would not appear again when scrolling the web page,
>> this site's mini player can be close, but when you scroll to the top and
>> then down the trigger fires again to show the mini player.
>>
>> The video is absent (and so the mini player) if Javascript is disabled.
>>
>> The mini player occupies a small part of the web page on the right side.
>> Scroll up or down to see any text underneath you want to see, or just
>> press the "X" button to remove the mini player.
>>
>> I don't see that any of these sites has no means of seeing the text
>> under the mini player, and all provided a means to completely hide the
>> mini player. If you don't want the mini player, you have a choice to
>> remove it.
> The question was to prevent the video from playing automatically and
> then if desired start the video. The way it is set up it is

Yep. Their content. Their choice. You could send them feedback. I
suspect most of their viewers would vote for how they did it. It's so
easy to circumvent that this is a tiny nuisance. Not sure you can find
a web site that is nuisance free. Even having to scroll is a nuisance.

For the example web sites, you could contact them at:
https://www.wect.com/about-us/
https://help.fox.com/s/support-form
https://www.cbs17.com/contact-us/

Like a restaurant where service or food is poor, the manager won't know
unless patrons tell the manager.

Re: Auto play of videos

<u5v5n1$3gp5b$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=164&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#164

From: Newyana2@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 08:25:10 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 12:25 UTC

"knuttle" <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote

| Well not exactly Autoplay but a videos that play and then follows the
| screen as you scroll down the page.

That could be an actual popup or it could be CSS
that specs the player window as a fixed element in
the webpage. The latter might be chaangeable via
userChrome.css, where you can customize any element
with a class name or ID.

Few webmasters these days actually know how to write
code. They're all using software that does it for them
and they all share the latest fads. I've eliminated most
cookie roadblock notices, for example, by making
those IDs invisible. I was able to do that because they all share
their code snippets for making the stuck-on-top notices,
so they end up mostly having the same names. It's possible
the same would work for moving videos, if you're ambitious
to try it. Or you can disable script. If you allow script
generally then you're giving them license to spy, change,
update, and add special effects in whatever manner they like.

Personally I use NoScript and block video altogether,
in all browsers, so I can't see what you're talking about.
(It drives me crazy to have things moving or talking
while I'm trying to read.)

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: Auto play of videos