"We can't schedule an orgy, it might be construed as fighting" -- Stanley Sutton

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

SubjectAuthor
* Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?Dave Roya
+- Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?Ralph Fox
+- Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?Andy Burns
+* Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?VanguardLH
|+* Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?Andy Burns
||`* Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?Dave Roya
|| `* Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?Andy Burns
||  `* Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?Dave Roya
||   `- Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?Dave Roya
|+- Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?Dave Roya
|`- Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?The Real Bev
+* Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?Andy Burns
|`- Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?The Real Bev
`* Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?Dave Roya
 +- Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?Dave Roya
 `- Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?Dave Roya

1
Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<ujpls5$28fs6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1623&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1623

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 08:11:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 08:11 UTC

This is the release which is supposed to bring add-ons back. Since Fenix
they have only been usable on Nightly.

<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/android/120.0/releasenotes/>

"In anticipation of opening up the Firefox for Android extension ecosystem
later this year, dozens of new mobile extensions will surface during the
120 release cycle as we continue guardrail testing."

Release date was 21/11 and it's in ftp.mozilla.org/pub but not yet
available in the playstore, or not to me. I guess it's being throttled, or
has been stopped. Anybody got 120 off playstore yet?

(IME it's not a good idea to update a playstore version with a moz APK, or
vice versa.)

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<gln0mipqmnjb43m7snoq0br4pht8r1fvk5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1624&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1624

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 21:32:31 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 08:32 UTC

On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 08:11:49 -0000 (UTC), Dave Royal wrote:

> This is the release which is supposed to bring add-ons back. Since Fenix
> they have only been usable on Nightly.
>
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/android/120.0/releasenotes/>
>
> "In anticipation of opening up the Firefox for Android extension ecosystem
> later this year, dozens of new mobile extensions will surface during the
> 120 release cycle as we continue guardrail testing."
>
> Release date was 21/11 and it's in ftp.mozilla.org/pub but not yet
> available in the playstore, or not to me. I guess it's being throttled, or
> has been stopped. Anybody got 120 off playstore yet?

I just updated Firefox from playstore less than an hour ago, and now have 120.

--
Kind Regards
Ralph Fox

​️"Ne ꞅoꞃᵹa, ꞅnoꞇoꞃ ᵹuma! Selꞃe bıð æᵹhƿæm, þæt he hıꞅ ꝼꞃeonꝺ ƿꞃece, þonne he ꝼela muꞃne."
​️ -- Beoƿulꝼ.

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<ksb5s3Fn5c5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1625&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1625

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 08:40:35 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 08:40 UTC

Dave Royal wrote:

> This is the release which is supposed to bring add-ons back.

Oooh ... since add-ons went away the one I miss has gone a bit evil, but
I think there might be an opensource fork of it, I'll have a look

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<1nbmy0ey0tmms.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1627&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1627

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 11:56:50 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:56 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:

> This is the release which is supposed to bring add-ons back. Since
> Fenix they have only been usable on Nightly.
>
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/android/120.0/releasenotes/>
>
> "In anticipation of opening up the Firefox for Android extension
> ecosystem later this year, dozens of new mobile extensions will
> surface during the 120 release cycle as we continue guardrail
> testing."
>
> Release date was 21/11 and it's in ftp.mozilla.org/pub but not yet
> available in the playstore, or not to me. I guess it's being
> throttled, or has been stopped. Anybody got 120 off playstore yet?
>
> (IME it's not a good idea to update a playstore version with a moz
> APK, or vice versa.)

I have had add-ons in Firefox Android for so long that I don't remember
how far back. I added uBlock Origin long ago. One of the reasons I
dropped Chrome Android is that add-ons were not allowed in that web
browser, plus I want to use Firefox, anyway. In FF, go to menu->Addons.
It's been there long before the 120 release.

Maybe what Mozilla means is they are vetting more add-ons that can be
used with Firefox Android. menu->Add-ons currently has a short list.

What I do not like about Firefox Android is Mozilla removed the
about:config editor. Used to be you could tweak FF's settings. Lots of
privacy and security settings are in about:config. Now all you get are
the basic settings through menu->Settings.

Firefox Android is one of the few, maybe the only, web browser that lets
you actually exit it. Others will sit in background consuming memory
and CPU cycles until the OS decides the resources are needed for a newly
loaded app or service. Unlike Windows and Linux, Android leaves shit
running after you thought you exited it. FF Android has a Quit option
in its menu. Be nice if it were at the top of the menu instead of
having to scroll down. The Quit option also triggers FF Android to do
its purge-on-exit cleanup.

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<ksc6s0F16ufU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1628&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1628

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 18:03:44 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 18:03 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> I have had add-ons in Firefox Android for so long that I don't remember
> how far back.

But at the moment (even with v120) you can't install any add-on you
want, only those from a curated list, unless you run nightly.

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<ujqplc$2e1ma$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1629&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1629

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 18:22:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 18:22 UTC

On 24 Nov 2023 18:03:44 +0000 Andy Burns wrote:

>But at the moment (even with v120) you can't install any add-on you
>want, only those from a curated list, unless you run nightly.

It's now been updated. And I can install this addon of mine:

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/android_new_tabs_in_foreground/>

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<ksc93kF16ufU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1630&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1630

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 18:41:56 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 18:41 UTC

Dave Royal wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>> But at the moment (even with v120) you can't install any add-on you
>> want, only those from a curated list, unless you run nightly.
>
> It's now been updated. And I can install this addon of mine:
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/android_new_tabs_in_foreground/>

I tried searching add-ons for "cookies" this morning after getting v120
from the play store, it found three add-ons, which must have had the
search term in the description, because it certainly wasn't in their names.

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<ujr764$2g08c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1631&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1631

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 22:13:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 22:13 UTC

On 24 Nov 2023 11:56:50 -0600 VanguardLH wrote:

>I have had add-ons in Firefox Android for so long that I don't remember
>how far back. I added uBlock Origin long ago. One of the reasons I
>dropped Chrome Android is that add-ons were not allowed in that web
>browser, plus I want to use Firefox, anyway. In FF, go to menu->Addons.
>It's been there long before the 120 release.
>
>Maybe what Mozilla means is they are vetting more add-ons that can be
>used with Firefox Android. menu->Add-ons currently has a short list.

I should have said that v120 will install _any_ addon, not just the
approved ones. In my case I want particularly to run the ones I wrote.
That was only possible - eventually - in Nightly.

Add-on authors now have to go to more trouble to specify that an add-on
runs on Android, otherwise it won't be listed. Previously many authors
ticked the Android box without knowing or caring whether it actually
worked. (It doesn't mean it /will/ work, or fully work, though - not all
APIs are available on Android.)

>What I do not like about Firefox Android is Mozilla removed the
>about:config editor. Used to be you could tweak FF's settings. Lots of
>privacy and security settings are in about:config. Now all you get are
>the basic settings through menu->Settings.

Nightly has the config editor too.

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<ujsaiu$2o2p9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1632&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1632

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 08:17:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 08:17 UTC

On 24 Nov 2023 18:41:56 +0000 Andy Burns wrote:
>Dave Royal wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>>
>>> But at the moment (even with v120) you can't install any add-on you
>>> want, only those from a curated list, unless you run nightly.
>>
>> It's now been updated. And I can install this addon of mine:
>>

>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/android_new_tabs_in_foreground/>
>
>I tried searching add-ons for "cookies" this morning after getting v120
>from the play store, it found three add-ons, which must have had the
>search term in the description, because it certainly wasn't in their names.

The search facility in Fenix itself seems to me entirely useless.

If I type addons.mozilla.org into Fenix it redirects* to
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/>

That site currently has 395 addons. I can sort by 'most users' (only
'recommended' addons will have more than a few users on Android) and I
currently get 16 pages, which I can work through backwards to see the ones
that were not previously accessible except on nightly, and have been
updated recently to confirm they work on Android.

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/search/?sort=users&type=extension&page=16>

You could probably search these with a
site:addons.mozilla.org/xxxx/android param.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<ujsefu$2ojej$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1633&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1633

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 09:24:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 09:24 UTC

On 25 Nov 2023 08:17:34 -0000 (UTC) Dave Royal wrote:
>On 24 Nov 2023 18:41:56 +0000 Andy Burns wrote:
>>Dave Royal wrote:

>>> It's now been updated. And I can install this addon of mine:
>>>

>>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/android_new_tabs_in_foreground/>
>>
>>I tried searching add-ons for "cookies" this morning after getting v120
>>from the play store, it found three add-ons, which must have had the
>>search term in the description, because it certainly wasn't in their names.
>
>The search facility in Fenix itself seems to me entirely useless.
>
>If I type addons.mozilla.org into Fenix it redirects* to
><https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/>
>
>That site currently has 395 addons. I can sort by 'most users' (only
>'recommended' addons will have more than a few users on Android) and I
>currently get 16 pages, which I can work through backwards to see the ones
>that were not previously accessible except on nightly, and have been
>updated recently to confirm they work on Android.
>

><https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/search/?sort=users&type=extension&page=16>
>
>You could probably search these with a
>site:addons.mozilla.org/xxxx/android param.

Actually, I find those searches can't be done on Release v120 itself - I
was still using Nightly.

And I can't install these:
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/addon/android_scroll_top/>
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/addon/android_scroll_bottom/>

"You need an updated version of Firefox"

Yet the one I mentioned earlier /will/ install. Perhaps they're
selectively updating the 'min-version' requirement.

I like this:
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/addon/old-dot-reddit/>
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<ujui1k$35ee4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1640&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1640

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 20:37:06 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 04:37 UTC

On 11/24/23 9:56 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>
>> This is the release which is supposed to bring add-ons back. Since
>> Fenix they have only been usable on Nightly.
>>
>> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/android/120.0/releasenotes/>
>>
>> "In anticipation of opening up the Firefox for Android extension
>> ecosystem later this year, dozens of new mobile extensions will
>> surface during the 120 release cycle as we continue guardrail
>> testing."
>>
>> Release date was 21/11 and it's in ftp.mozilla.org/pub but not yet
>> available in the playstore, or not to me. I guess it's being
>> throttled, or has been stopped. Anybody got 120 off playstore yet?

Yes. It's where I got the original one.

>> (IME it's not a good idea to update a playstore version with a moz
>> APK, or vice versa.)
>
> I have had add-ons in Firefox Android for so long that I don't remember
> how far back. I added uBlock Origin long ago. One of the reasons I
> dropped Chrome Android is that add-ons were not allowed in that web
> browser, plus I want to use Firefox, anyway. In FF, go to menu->Addons.
> It's been there long before the 120 release.
>
> Maybe what Mozilla means is they are vetting more add-ons that can be
> used with Firefox Android. menu->Add-ons currently has a short list.
>
> What I do not like about Firefox Android is Mozilla removed the
> about:config editor. Used to be you could tweak FF's settings. Lots of
> privacy and security settings are in about:config. Now all you get are
> the basic settings through menu->Settings.
>
> Firefox Android is one of the few, maybe the only, web browser that lets
> you actually exit it. Others will sit in background consuming memory
> and CPU cycles until the OS decides the resources are needed for a newly
> loaded app or service. Unlike Windows and Linux, Android leaves shit
> running after you thought you exited it. FF Android has a Quit option
> in its menu. Be nice if it were at the top of the menu instead of
> having to scroll down. The Quit option also triggers FF Android to do
> its purge-on-exit cleanup.

WHICN menu? I couldn't find it. The only menu I could find was the
three dots at lower right.

I tried both the desktop version (which I would prefer) and the 'normal'
version.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea:

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<ksgegmF53q7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1644&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1644

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 08:38:48 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 08:38 UTC

Dave Royal wrote:

> Anybody got 120 off playstore yet?

I did, and I'm finding it *extremely* crashy at certain things.

In particular entering search terms into the URL bar with the on-screen
keyboard, I can't get past a couple words.

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<uk01qk$3bs2g$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1656&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1656

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 10:12:36 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 18:12 UTC

On 11/26/23 12:38 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Dave Royal wrote:
>
>> Anybody got 120 off playstore yet?
>
> I did, and I'm finding it *extremely* crashy at certain things.
>
> In particular entering search terms into the URL bar with the on-screen
> keyboard, I can't get past a couple words.

Better discussion(s) in comp.mobile.android. JIC somebody doesn't know
about it.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Steve Balmer, CEO of Microsoft[0], recently referred to LINUX as a

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<uk5o06$em79$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1736&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1736

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:01:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:01 UTC

On 24 Nov 2023 08:11:49 -0000 (UTC) Dave Royal wrote:
>This is the release which is supposed to bring add-ons back. Since Fenix
>they have only been usable on Nightly.
>
><https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/android/120.0/releasenotes/>
>
>"In anticipation of opening up the Firefox for Android extension ecosystem
>later this year, dozens of new mobile extensions will surface during the
>120 release cycle as we continue guardrail testing."

120.0.1 was released. No release notes yet.

This search

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/search/?sort=users&type=extension>
now finds 47 addons - yesterday it was 18. The same search on Nightly
finds 411.

The 47 now includes two of mine - 'Android Scroll to Top/Bottom'. My guess
is these have been approved despite having few users, perhaps because they
only have one or two line of code. But I have installed several other
addons of mine, which are not listed, by opening their individual pages
after copying the URL from Nightly.

So the number of addons available is increasing, but I can't work out how
Mozilla are controling it.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<uka5n2$1cvj1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1770&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1770

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 14:20:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 14:20 UTC

On 28 Nov 2023 22:01:42 -0000 (UTC) Dave Royal wrote:

>120.0.1 was released. No release notes yet.
>
>This search
>
><https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/search/?sort=users&type=extension>
>now finds 47 addons - yesterday it was 18. The same search on Nightly
>finds 411.
>
>The 47 now includes two of mine - 'Android Scroll to Top/Bottom'. My guess
>is these have been approved despite having few users, perhaps because they
>only have one or two line of code. But I have installed several other
>addons of mine, which are not listed, by opening their individual pages
>after copying the URL from Nightly.
>
>So the number of addons available is increasing, but I can't work out how
>Mozilla are controling it.

"Open extensions on Firefox for Android debut December 14"

<https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2023/11/28/open-extensions-on-firefox-for-android-debut-december-14-but-you-can-get-a-sneak-peek-today/>
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Firefox for Android v120 - released 21st November?

<ulftcd$1i6k9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1917&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1917

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 21:51:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 21:51 UTC

On 28 Nov 2023 22:01:42 -0000 (UTC) Dave Royal wrote:

>120.0.1 was released. No release notes yet.
>
>This search
>
><https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/search/?sort=users&type=extension>
>now finds 47 addons - yesterday it was 18. The same search on Nightly
>finds 411.
>[snip]
>So the number of addons available is increasing, but I can't work out how
>Mozilla are controlling it.

They were controlling it by setting minimum-version to 121.

That search now finds 489 addons here.