From: *@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: new URL bar behavior
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 05:24:59 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 05:24 UTC

I am currently running version 119.

Sometime recently the URL bar behavior changed. Consider this sequence
of events:

1. Open a new tab
2. Click on the URL bar and type a search term
3. A page loads from the default search engine
4. Click on the URL bar again with the intent to copy the URL

What used to happen is the entire current URL used to be selected, ready
to copy. What happens now is the current URL is replaced with the search
term from step 2.

I do not like this change and would like to know how to disable it.

"ahwahnee hotel !w" is not a useful thing to copy and share.

I can see that there may be people who find editing their recent search
useful, but that is not me.

(Relatedly, making the URL itself easier to edit would be useful for me.
I often do things like copy URL parameters fron one tab to another,
things like time spans in Grafana pages.)

Elijah
------
did just look up the Ahwahnee but no !w, just wanyed a spell check

Re: new URL bar behavior

<krm0q9Ffce4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1569&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1569

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: new URL bar behavior
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 08:05:29 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 08:05 UTC

Eli the Bearded wrote:

> Consider this sequence of events:
>
> 1. Open a new tab
> 2. Click on the URL bar and type a search term
> 3. A page loads from the default search engine
> 4. Click on the URL bar again with the intent to copy the URL
>
> What used to happen is the entire current URL used to be selected, ready
> to copy.

That's still what happens here
(v119.0.1 on Win11 but I doubt that's significant).

Re: new URL bar behavior

<pk0h2k-eu1.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1570&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1570

From: grschmidt@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 19:31:52 +1100
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 08:31 UTC

On 16/11/2023 16:24, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> I am currently running version 119.
>
> Sometime recently the URL bar behavior changed. Consider this sequence
> of events:
>
> 1. Open a new tab
> 2. Click on the URL bar and type a search term
> 3. A page loads from the default search engine
> 4. Click on the URL bar again with the intent to copy the URL
>
> What used to happen is the entire current URL used to be selected, ready
> to copy. What happens now is the current URL is replaced with the search
> term from step 2.
>
> I do not like this change and would like to know how to disable it.
>
> "ahwahnee hotel !w" is not a useful thing to copy and share.
>
> I can see that there may be people who find editing their recent search
> useful, but that is not me.
>
> (Relatedly, making the URL itself easier to edit would be useful for me.
> I often do things like copy URL parameters fron one tab to another,
> things like time spans in Grafana pages.)

Win11Pro, FF 119.0.1 (64-bit), that's not quite what I get, no page is
loaded, and when I click in the URL bar the link is deselected, but not
replaced.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: new URL bar behavior

<cegclilgsb8fcn43b4rqa23go9i6vb4ks4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1571&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1571

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 08:25:35 -0800
 by: Nobody - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 16:25 UTC

On Thu, 16 Nov 2023 05:24:59 -0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
<*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:

>I am currently running version 119.
>
>Sometime recently the URL bar behavior changed. Consider this sequence
>of events:
>
>1. Open a new tab
>2. Click on the URL bar and type a search term
>3. A page loads from the default search engine

A *page* loads? For me on v119.0.1 with Win 11, a dropdown with any
items in my history which involve the search term appears, along with
several search engine entries. If one of my history responses is
selected, then the whole tab displays that site.

>4. Click on the URL bar again with the intent to copy the URL
>
>What used to happen is the entire current URL used to be selected, ready
>to copy.

And still does for me.

>What happens now is the current URL is replaced with the search
>term from step 2.

I can't replicate that.

Re: new URL bar behavior

<krmvcaFn5beU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1573&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1573

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 16:47:04 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 16:47 UTC

Nobody wrote:

> Eli the Bearded wrote
>
>> 1. Open a new tab
>> 2. Click on the URL bar and type a search term
>> 3. A page loads from the default search engine
>
> A *page* loads?

I think there's an implied step
2a. press enter (or click the goto arrow)

Re: new URL bar behavior

<bbjdlitfec7e59v4oa9vlcg56r6fsmtifj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1574&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1574

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 18:25:44 -0800
 by: Nobody - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 02:25 UTC

On Thu, 16 Nov 2023 16:47:04 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Nobody wrote:
>
>> Eli the Bearded wrote
>>
>>> 1. Open a new tab
>>> 2. Click on the URL bar and type a search term
>>> 3. A page loads from the default search engine
>>
>> A *page* loads?
>
>I think there's an implied step
>2a. press enter (or click the goto arrow)

Hmm.

Either my way or that hi-way, no matter what website's url is
proclaimed, the link is maintained and thus available for copying.

I simply cannot cause a *page* to load; the result is just a
*pulldown* within Step 2's answer.

Re: new URL bar behavior

<uj6ksa$1jpn6$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1575&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1575

From: B00ze64@hotmail.com (B00ze)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 21:58:18 -0500
 by: B00ze - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 02:58 UTC

On 2023-11-16 00:24, Eli the Bearded wrote:

> I am currently running version 119.
>
> Sometime recently the URL bar behavior changed. Consider this sequence
> of events:
>
> 1. Open a new tab
> 2. Click on the URL bar and type a search term
> 3. A page loads from the default search engine
> 4. Click on the URL bar again with the intent to copy the URL
>
> What used to happen is the entire current URL used to be selected, ready
> to copy. What happens now is the current URL is replaced with the search
> term from step 2.

Mozilla announced this change, maybe I read about it on gHacks, I
remember testing for it when I read about it. However, it's not doing it
for me, I click and the url remains there ready for copy/paste. There's
probably a preference for this but I do not know what it is.

Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
! (o o) Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society

Re: new URL bar behavior

<kroimcF40d3U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1576&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1576

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 07:22:53 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 07:22 UTC

Nobody wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Nobody wrote:
>>
>>> A *page* loads?
>>
>> I think there's an implied step
>> 2a. press enter (or click the goto arrow)
>
> Either my way or that hi-way, no matter what website's url is
> proclaimed, the link is maintained and thus available for copying.
>
> I simply cannot cause a *page* to load; the result is just a
> *pulldown* within Step 2's answer.

I mean the search engine's *page* of results, and that is the URL
available for copying if I re-enter the urlbar.

Re: new URL bar behavior

<9BM5N.36903$_Oab.6008@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1577&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1577

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
From: not.email@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:33:09 -0600
 by: Mark Lloyd - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 16:33 UTC

On 11/16/23 10:47, Andy Burns wrote:
> Nobody wrote:
>
>> Eli the Bearded wrote
>>
>>> 1. Open a new tab
>>> 2. Click on the URL bar and type a search term
>>> 3. A page loads from the default search engine
>>
>> A *page* loads?
>
> I think there's an implied step
> 2a. press enter (or click the goto arrow)

I use the say:

enter "text"

for

type "text" and press 'enter'.

--
38 days until the winter celebration (Monday, December 25, 2023 12:00 AM
for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"There was never such a gigantic lie told as the fable of the Garden of
Eden."

Re: new URL bar behavior

<uj86jg$2sj4e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1578&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1578

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 17:06:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 17:06 UTC

Mark Lloyd <not.email@all.invalid> wrote:

>. . .

>--
>38 days until the winter celebration (Monday, December 25, 2023 12:00 AM
>for 1 day).

You broke your calendar. Because of the imperfections of the Julian
calendar, Christmas fell off the European calendar date of Winter Solstice
in the Northern Hemisphere centuries ago.

Try the countdown from Friday, December 22, 2023 at 03:27 UTC.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / new URL bar behavior